Start by marking “The Stranger in Our Home” as Want to Read:
The Stranger in Our Home

The Stranger in Our Home

Have you been bad enough?

When her stepmother dies unexpectedly, Caro returns to her childhood home in the rural English countryside. She hadn’t seen Elizabeth in years, but the remote farmhouse offers refuge from a bad relationship, and a chance to start again.

But going through Elizabeth’s belongings unearths memories Caro would rather stay buried. In particular, the s

Published November 29th 2018 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger in Our Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stranger in Our Home

Misty
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Stranger in our Home was another psychological suspense novel that just failed to resonate and instead left me with more questions than answers. The author also seemed genre-confused and consistently flirted with the inclusion of supernatural elements, but without any follow through. In the end, it wasn’t ghosts or fairies or witches responsible for the chaos, but rather human depravity and immorality.

When the story opens, an anonymous narrator is lying in a hospital bed unable to communica
Irene
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The flashy one or the nutcase?"

If ever there was a wicked stepmother, it was Elizabeth, who made a point of letting Caro know she didn't belong, and tormenting her with horrid stories. That may explain why Caro's older sister Steph flew the coop when she was barely old enough. It doesn't explain why decades went by before she would ever bother with her sister again.
Now a grown woman, Caro will uncover the reason why her childhood memories are so sparse and what secrets her own mind has hidden
Lindsey
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent, well written, and exceptionally performed Audible audio book. Highly recommend the audio version, as the narrator does a perfect job of brining it to life.
Enid
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
The prologue was intriguing, and the story showed promise, but I found the main character, Caro, to be hard to deal with, not very sympathetic, considering what she had gone through in her life. Most of the other characters were terrible people. The only character I really liked is the lawyer; he's true. I just couldn't connect with anyone. It was easy to figure out, very few surprises, although everything was a surprise to Caro. I kept reading, mostly because of the prologue, but I said to myse ...more
Reading Canuck
This was an atmospheric, slow burner. The premise is interesting and I couldn’t wait to see how everything would unfold. It took about halfway for the plot to really pick up. This one's full of suspense, mixed in with a bit of romance, but I couldn't really connect with the characters. That’s just me though, I’m interested to hear your thoughts. 3/5🌟

Thank you @harpercollinsca for this copy in exchange for an honest review.
Michelle
2.5 stars I'm not sure how I feel about this book. The premise was exciting enough, but the characters were unbelievably dull. There was far more talking about the scenery and faffing about with a painting commission, that clearly any dullard could tell had to do with the mystery. Caro had this dull personality that leeched through the pages. I honestly understood why she was so sucked in and gullible!

Thankfully it was a quick read.
Nicole Tul
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Not for me

This book really didn't have it for me, I got board and skipped to the ending. The ending was week and so see threw . Who could be that that dumb not see what he was about .
Krissi
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a reasonably good read. About halfway through, it got very exciting. Then, the ending was a bit disappointing for me.

Slow paced, but atmospheric, I felt the language flowed well and the story was well put together.
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had potential but I found it very repetitive and a slow going. Good idea for a story.
SUSAN BRAGG
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Easy Read

Easy read and plot easy to figure out. The ending left me wondering - who is the real evil sister? I'll read a other of Sophie's book.
Krysti Burns Tauer
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Wow!

Wow! Didn’t see any of that coming. I want to know what comes next. Creepy and I still don’t know the truth.
Merrilynn Stuhr
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy, creepy and more creepy with a twist so bizarre you couldn’t see it coming. Hard to put down!
Tracie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first half dragged on forever, and then when things picked up in the second half, I figured out the mystery almost immediately. The main character was annoying and stupid. Just not good.
donna
Feb 09, 2019
Robin McDonald
Feb 16, 2019
Lesa Tobiason beach
Jan 30, 2019
Jos
rated it did not like it
Feb 02, 2019
Julie
Feb 15, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Spare Room
  • Still Water (Still, #2)
  • The Couple on Cedar Close (Detective Dan Riley, #2)
  • An American Family (#1)
  • Don't Let Me In
  • Malignant
  • The Rival
  • Darkroom
  • Sleep
  • If I Fail (Jake Carrington #1)
  • The Replacement Wife
  • The Influence
  • Dark Angels: Lesbian Vampire Stories
  • Mistress for Hire
  • The City of Shadows (Stefan Gillespie, #1)
  • Copycat
  • PAGER
  • The Village Idiots: Part 1 - Inheritance
Sophie Draper is a Derbyshire based author. Cuckoo is her first book and won the Bath Novel Award 2017. She also won the York Festival of Writing Friday Night Live Award 2017. A second book is due to be published later in 2019.