Start by marking “Song of Sorrow (Sorrow, #2)” as Want to Read:
Song of Sorrow (Sorrow, #2)

Song of Sorrow

(Sorrow #2)

Sequel to STATE OF SORROW by best-selling fantasy author Melinda Salisbury.

Sorrow Ventaxis has won the election, and in the process lost everything...

Governing under the sinister control of Vespus Corrigan, and isolated from her friends, Sorrow must to find a way to free herself from his web and save her people. But Vespus has no plans to let her go, and he isn't the only
Published March 7th 2019 by Scholastic

Start your review of Song of Sorrow (Sorrow, #2)
Yoda
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This might be my favorite series but its definitely my favorite duology (tho I haven´t read six of crows yet.)
The ending!! It was the perfect ending to this series. I couldn´t have imagined it differently. Tho I would´ve liked to read more about Luvian Fen.
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
4.5

PREREAD

*looks at cover*

*dies*

I can't wait, all of you! I want this book on my shelves!
Sasha
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, fantasy
I was in love with the first book I'm even more in love with that sequel.

I feel like it was a bit different from the first book as it was less focused on the politics. It was more focused on Sorrow understanding and learning how to be with her friends, family etc... You cannot rule a kingdom by yourself!

The characters were even more likeable, believable, and anything else positive!

I wasn't expecting that ending (or if I did I forgot when in the middle of the book as I was really committed!). I l
Monika
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I already want to reread it 🙈
RTC

May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Filipa
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
"Sorrow - for that is all she brings us."

This is a hard review for me to write. A lot because I absolutely loved State of Sorrow, but mostly because I really like Melinda as a person, I find her so cool and share a lot of her ideas and visions of the world. I was even thinking how I would just like not to write a review for Song of Sorrow but then I also think I should be comfortable enough to share my own true feelings. I just do not want to be mean and I'm writing scared because I don't want M
El
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Dreximgirl
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot express my love for this book. I will return with a full review at some point.
Eyleen
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was nice, but the first book was so much better!
Chrisi
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First of all a want to say thank you to Melinda and Scholastic UK for sending me a free copy.

„Sorrow – for that is all she brings us.“

Song of Sorrow is the thrilling sequel to State of Sorrow and the last book in the series.

We go on a adventure full of emotions, betrayal, love and lots and lots of politics.

As in State of Sorrow we are getting more into Sorrow Ventaxis mind and feelings and follow her through an adventures and dangerous way of finding yourself , love and the strength and power to
Annette
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I read State of Sorrow I fell in love with Melinda Salisbury's writing and the wonderful world she built in the book. When I could pre-order this book on her personal website and get it signed I did so right away. However, for some reason, I didn't read the book. It looked very pretty on the shelf, but it stood there for quite some time. For too long, actually. This morning I actually decided to finally change that.

And from start to finish it was once more a mesmerizing and amazingly well w
Francesca
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent stuff. Review to follow
I have had this series on my shelf for a long time: I admit freely that I bought the 1st book for the cover - a masterpiece of a cover - and that was delighted to hear from my friend Tara that the book was very good.
And it is, good, great in fact.
If this series is Salisbury debut let's hope she writes and writes and writes for years to come. This fantasy focuses on the intrigue and political machinations in a country which is founded on revolution against a mona
Annabelle ✨
Reading this made me kind of angry. I really enjoyed the first book, it was one of my favourites last year but this conclusion was honestly a disappointment.
Full of tropes, boring, cliche and simplistic. I am too annoyed to write a proper review. The first 250 pages could have been easily cut down to 50, the last 100+ pages were a simplistic solution to a duology that deserved so much better than a standard happy ending. Making the first book a standalone would have been the better choice and I
Steph_d
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I actually liked this more than the first book I think! The first 50-100 pages the main character annoyed me but it was so worth continuing.
I don't know why but I was super invested in the main characters and loved their relationships and interactions with each other.

The writing itself was super fast paced and easy to read I flew through this. It was also an advantage that there was no much explanation needed in this book as it just take soff where the last one left so you didn't really need to
Patricia Crowther
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5⭐️
Because that ending! I mean I get it. I know why it was as it was but I really wanted to know so...🤷🏻‍♀️
Also, I’ll take one Luvian Fen to go please 😉😄
Cora Tea Party Princess
May 22, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF for now because my copy started physically falling apart as I was reading it.

My fault entirely, I was reading it outside in the sun and it deteriorated the glue.

I read about 1/3 and it was absolutely excellent.
Nikki
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am now dead. RIP Nikki, died from overdosing on an amazing book, 16th Feb 2109. 💀

I was lucky enough to win a copy of Song of Sorrow from the publisher. And this morning, when I finished my reread of State of Sorrow, I was therefore able to just dive back in. Pushing all my plans askew and gleefully indulging in the beauty that is this world. 😍😍

I have NO idea how I can possibly review this without spoilers, but I’m going to give it my best shot as it deserves people reading it unspoiled.

lucy✨
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shukri
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh this is disappointing cause the first one had me looking forward to the conclusion so much. But the ending.... it’s like the author forgot what book she was writing? Or maybe gave up? Everything wrapped up simplistically and very unrealistically. This might be a byproduct of poor world building, there was no new information added just mainly what we knew from book 1. Where are the stakes???? No where.
Kate’s Book Spot
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It didn’t take long for me to sink back into the storyline and it was pretty clear that Sorrow was not particularly enjoying her new role as Chancellor of Rhannon.

This book had a completely different feel to the first, I guess because Sorrow was in a position of power this time. Unfortunately a side effect of that power was that she was susceptible to bribery, friendship struggles and other tricky situations. I got the feeling she was overwhelmed by her new lifestyle and this led to her not alwa
Sina Stein
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a nice read.
Frist I was sceptic because I didn’t enjoy the first book that much. But Song of Sorrow was better than expected. Although there was much of politics in it , which I don’t like that much, the books was exiting, funny and thrilling.
Most of the characters didn’t appeal to me, which was mainly because I think this group does not fit together.

But all in all it was a comfpy read; & I liked that it is a duology , which is a welcome change, instead of reading 3+ book series.
Nat
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, favourites
I LOVED IT!! Wow, amazing!
I didn't think it would be even better than the first book but it was. I feel like it did focus less on the politics and more on family, friends and romance but I loved that. I grew to love Sorrow and all the other characters even more (not sure how that is possible) and I even sympathised a little bit with the "villains". The last 100 pages took me by surprise and I literally had no clue how this amazing story was going to wrap up, so props to the author for surprising
Saga N. Lind
Everything was great, the ending could have been a bit different but otherwise everything was perfect!

(view spoiler)["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>["br"]>
Marjolein
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-bought
I don't know why this book made less of an impression than the first one, but it did. I still really loved it, but it didn't blow me away like State of Sorrow did. Then again, it still is a lovely book, mainly political driven, even when there is more romance than in the first one. I liked the ending, even when it seemed to be a bit easy at some points.
Ellie
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG I LOVED THIS!
I was a massive fan of the first book of this duology and therefore I was so worried about what I was going to think of this (especially with the ending of the first book) so I'm so relieved I LOVED this.
I can't really make sense of my thoughts right now, but basically I love the characters (especially Luvian) and the ending was amazing, I may have teared up a bit.
Bookish_Dinosaur
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars...I love the characters, especially Luvian, but the ending was WAY to rushed in my oppinion, so was the showdown with Vespus and Sorrow actions. The queer characters also felt forced to me, like nowadays there should be representation in books (which is great!) but that one couple seemed to me like the author just brought them together because there had to be queer people.
Jasmine
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"We can't alter the past, but we can reshape the future."

I really enjoyed this book. I adore how atmospheric Melinda Salisbury's writing is, how every single word manages to lend itself to the feeling of the passage, whether it's sorrow, fear, pain or joy.
Megan Paterson
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Incredible as always, Melinda Salisbury has a magical ability to create worlds and characters that come to life. I love her books and I feel lost when they are over.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Viper (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #1)
  • The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent, #1)
  • Fire & Heist
  • We Are Blood and Thunder (We Are Blood and Thunder #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • To Best the Boys
  • A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
  • Rebel (The Extinction Trials, #3)
  • A Girl Called Shameless (Izzy O'Neill, #2)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Venom (Isles of Storm and Sorrow #2)
  • Heartstream
  • Circle of Shadows (Circle of Shadows, #1)
  • Through the White Wood
  • Perfectly Preventable Deaths
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • Sanctuary
  • Eight Will Fall
Melinda Salisbury lives by the sea, somewhere in the south of England. As a child she genuinely thought Roald Dahl’s Matilda was her biography, in part helped by her grandfather often mistakenly calling her Matilda, and the local library having a pretty cavalier attitude to the books she borrowed. Sadly she never manifested telekinetic powers. She likes to travel, and have adventures. She also lik ...more

Sorrow (2 books)
  • State of Sorrow (Sorrow, #1)