Start by marking “Murder in the Oval Library” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Oval Library

Murder in the Oval Library

(Lincoln's White House Mystery #2)

April 13, 1861: Rebel troops are across the Potomac River, only 800 feet from the White House and President Lincoln--but a murderer is even closer . . .

As the Civil War begins, an invasion of Washington, DC, seems imminent. Lincoln's trusted aide, Adam Speed Quinn, and Quinn's old friend, Senator Jim Lane, hastily assemble a motley crew of just over a hundred men and gar
Published July 30th 2019 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Oval Library, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Oval Library

Colleen Gleason
Well, since I wrote it, I liked it. :-)
Fred
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Murder In The Oval Library is the second book in the Lincoln’s White House Mystery series.

This is a win-win series for me. I love historical mysteries and the author skillfully weaves actual events from the time into the story.

Fort Sumter has been fired on and the war has begun. President Lincoln is busily trying to put together an army to protect Washington, DC. from being invaded by Rebels from Virginia. New Senator Jim Lane has about 100 members of his Frontier Guard garrisoned at the White H
Jessica
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tours
Thanks to Kensington Books and TLC Book Tours for the free copy in exchange for my honest review.

For those that love a good historical fiction novel, then this one is perfect for you! This is set in the late 1800’s – Lincoln has just been elected President and the US is in turmoil. The country is on the brink of the Civil War with the South beginning to succeed, and to make things worse, a body is found in the library of the White House.

Lincoln assigns Adam Quinn to the case. He is accompanied
Kristen
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I enjoyed this. It's a well-plotted murder mystery, with likable characters, good pacing and a bonus of an interesting history lesson about a period I enjoy - the civil war.

This series really is almost a history book, although it's fiction. The author does clearly exhaustive research and there is plenty of reality woven in with the fiction. It makes history interesting and engaging and teaches while it entertains.

I loved the feeling of being in the White House with the characters, getting to spe
Michele
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in the Oval Library by C.M. Gleason is the second book in the Lincoln’s White House Mystery series. As Lincoln waits for the Confederate Army to begin its attack on Washington DC, about a hundred men, the Frontier Guard, are in the White House awaiting for the attack. One of these men is found dead in the Oval Library. Is there a murderer among them? President Lincoln, knowing he can trust Adam Quinn, asks him to catch the killer.

Adam once again uses his friends, Sophie, Dr. Hilton, and
Floyd
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year is 1861; Lincoln has been inaugurated; the South has started to succeed; the country is on the brink of a civil war. Oh, and a body is found in the Oval Library of the Whitehouse.

Abraham Lincoln assigns Adam Speed Quinn the task of digging for the truth. Sophie Gates, an independent reporter writing for the New York Times, appoints herself as his assistant. Together they will need to put together the pieces of a puzzle that will only become more complicated once Washington DC is invade
Bethany Swafford
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
War has been declared. As tensions grow, Adam Quinn is tasked with solving yet another murder on top of protecting Mr. Lincoln. With help from old friends and new, he learns just how close danger can lurk.

This is an excellent follow-up to the first book. Familiar characters return to help Adam follow the clues to the killer. Sophie Gates, a woman journalist, and Dr. George Hilton are among his chief allies to solving the crime. Dr. Hilton is without a doubt one of my favorite characters from the
tiasreads
I'm really enjoying this new mystery/historical fiction series. Both books move along at a brisk pace, so I never get bored. I enjoy and root for most of the characters, with the glaring exception of Constance Lemange, who is a syrupy, stereotypical insult to every woman who has ever lived below the Mason-Dixon line. Myself included. If the author wanted to make the Confederates look bad, they did that for themselves; all she had to do was write the truth. There was no need for this posturing li ...more
Donna Hines
It's 1861 and the Civil War has begun with the invasion of DC being imminent.
So as everyone high tails it out of there the President needs someone or something to stay behind to defend.
Adam Speed Quinn is your man as the trusted aide while he hooks up with his old pal Senator Jim Lane with an army to join them.
Well this Frontier Guard has gathered in the East Room ready for service.
However the problem is not external but internal with a murder being committed and no killers being found.
Johnny Th
Susan
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
1861 and the Civil war has just started. While the opposing army is less than a mile away, all of Washington waits to see the outcome. But the plans of Adam Speed Quinn are interrupted when a body of a Frontier Guard is discovered in the Oval Library. President Lincoln requests that he investigate. Although wishing otherwise for their safety only, he gets help from journalist Sophie Gates, Dr. George Hilton and Southern female Constance Lemagne.
An interesting and well-plotted, well-written myste
Derek Wagner
I was really intrigued when I came across Murder in the Oval Library by C.M Gleason. I have a hard time turning down a novel based on history but shrouded in fiction. However, upon finishing the book i felt a little cheated. Overall the story telling was interesting and the characters were fun to follow but the ending left me somewhat underwhelmed. It felt like when there is a big build up and then the reveal happens and everyone is looking around going “is that it?”. There are some minor tweaks ...more
Art
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in the Adam Quinn series has President Lincoln and all of Washington bracing for invasion by rebel soldiers at the start of the Civil War.

Southern sympathizers in Maryland are blocking the train tracks and Washington, DC, has very few soldiers to defend it against Confederate soldiers just across the river in Virginia.

A band of Kansas frontiersmen is bedding down in the President's House to protect Lincoln. But one of them is murdered in the middle of the night.

Quinn is asked to
Kathleen Gray
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nicely done tale of murder in the White House! Adam Quinn is asked by President Lincoln to investigate the murder of one of the guards who moved into the White House to protect him. Working with George Hilton and Sophie Gates, he unravels a mystery. There are cameos by real people from the era (Clara Barton for one). There's also a new potential love interest in Constance. This is well written and a quick read which has a little more depth than I expected. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. Fans ...more
Christine
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The South has seceded from the Union and all of Washington is bracing for a Confederate invasion. When one of the Frontier Guards in found dead in the Oval Library, President Lincoln calls on Adam Quinn to find the murderer. When the body is examined by Dr. George Hilton, he makes a remarkable discovery - the dead person was a woman disguised as a man. This puzzles Quinn, but with the help of journalist Sophie Gates, they try to discover who she is and why she was killed. An excellent historical ...more
Starr Wilde
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fascinating historical thriller from Ms Gleason

Wow! Yet another great thriller from Colleen Gleason based in real historical time and facts. I love Lincoln and so naturally, I had to read these immediately. I love all the history she puts in here with her fictional mystery and people perfectly blended with history. Cannot wait for another one...there has to be 3 of these right???
David Allen White
Not crazy about it. She has an Irish character saying "Top o' the morning." Irish people don't say that. The expression is "stage Irish," used by American actors portraying Irish people. The first time anybody in Ireland ever heard that expression it was from an American.

The story didn't really grab me all that much.
Angie Boyter
I am becoming a real fan of books about Lincoln, and this one had an interesting premise, but the writing is rather like a YA, so I could only persist through 30%. I am not at all surprised that she has written a series of books for teens. I might have enjoyed this when I was about 12.
Carol
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read Historical Fiction, but I picked this one up and really enjoyed it. When I started reading it, I didn't realize it was #2 in a series, so I will definitely go back and read the first one, too.
Mary G.
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable mystery with engaging characters. Adam and Sophie make a great team. Looking forward to their next adventure.
Dianne McCorcle
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this historical fiction & mystery. Author communicated the tension in Washington DC at the beginning of the civil war.
Jacki York
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent historical mystery- looking forward to more in the series!

This novel also prompted me to learn more about Bloody Kansas!
nikkia neil
Thanks Kensington Books for this ARC.

Love the way this series ties into the historical so well it makes you feel like you could have been there. Exciting, full of action, and a little romance too.
Bernadette Long
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is the second story in the Lincoln's White House Mystery series and it can be read as a standalone. All of the principal characters are back and have their own parts to play in solving the murder of a soldier in the Oval Library of the White House in spring 1861.

Adam Quinn has decided to remain in Washington and assist President Lincoln in these troubling early days of his presidential term and the Civil War. The very real possibility of an invasion by southern forces into the city has eve
Heather Endecott
Andrea
Oct 02, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Pen name for the author: Colleen Gleason

Lincoln's White House Mystery (3 books)
  • Murder in the Lincoln White House (Lincoln's White House Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the Capitol (Lincoln's White House Mystery #3)