Start by marking “Awakening” as Want to Read:
Awakening

Awakening

Is it possible that the entirety of one's life has been steered by the hand of fate towards a single moment? For Brooklyn French program teacher - and single parent of two- Tess Shapiro, it would certainly seem so. After discovering that her life and her marriage were artificial constructs based on lies and deceit, Tess must undergo the ultimate reality check. She delves d ...more
Published November 17th 2018 by Jacqueline Goldman

To ask other readers questions about Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening

Start your review of Awakening
NoNo JoJo
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Preface: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Awakening claims to be a "domestic thriller," something I hadn't seen before. What this really means is that it's all the fun of a housewife book, complete with forgettable interchangeable girlfriends, a bland love interest, cardboard cut-outs that are supposed to be children, and an evil ex-husband, with hints of an actual plot thrown in.

This book is just really bland and meandering, despite not being particularly lon
Benny
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tears rolled down my eyes as i got close to the end of this awesome book! I never wanted this story to end, This book deserves more than a 5star because i enjoyed reading every single page of it.

You can only tell a beautiful book by its content and this book has proven to be a better on at that. This story talks about so many lessons for everyone! This writer wrote this book for everyone understanding!

I must say that this beautiful story really reach out to my heart and i love every word of it.
Manon the Malicious
*2.5 Stars*

I was provided an ARC by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Tess Shapiro has been divorced for about a year. Turns out her husband was a lying, cheating asshole. She's left to raise their two kids while she teaches in some sort of French School. When she tries to relax, Tess writes Graphic Novels, where her alter-ego, a secret agent kills her ex from time to time.
Weird attacks have been going on lately and Tess doesn't really know how to feel about anything a
Reader Views
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Sheri Hoyte for Reader Views (1/19)

Love, betrayal and deception. Political intrigue, international spies, and alter-egos. “Awakening” by Jackie Goldman is a fascinating read, and it’s venture into different genres makes it an appealing choice for a widespread audience.

To Tess Shapiro, her entire life seems based on lies. As she struggles to make sense of her life and her purpose, she meets with challenges in every avenue of her life. The only way to ease her frustrations is through d
Arlena Dean
Rating: Four
Review:

"Awakening" by Jackie Goldman

My Thoughts.....

I found 'Awakening' quite a good read that present us with a 'strong feminist as our protagonist' who was Tess Shapiro. I will say her life really takes a turn in that she was divorced from a no count husband, learns a little more about her father to finding out that 'her new lover was not who she thought he was.' Now all the time she vents by indulging in
Gerry
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tess is a divorced single mother of two young children. Her life is difficult for many reasons and then she meets Guy who seems perfect in every way. But is this romance too good to be true? Meanwhile there is a series of terrorist attacks on French facilities in France and the USA. Who is responsible and why? Several shocking revelations further complicate her life, the world, and her place in it. Very interesting discussion of prejudice and betrayal. Quite enjoyable.
Tanya
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Her life is not what she thought of nor is her new boyfriend. Follow her as she slowly tries to work out what is really going on. What will she find out? Will it change her? How will her life change? Reading will show you

Donna
Nov 24, 2018 rated it liked it
DRC from Edelweiss

Tess, mother of two, feels like her whole life is based on a lie. To keep herself from going insane, she draws an alter-ego comic strip. Living in NYC, she teaches in a french immersion program. A few things happen simultaneously - her ex is dying, she meets a nice man who happens to be french, and France and Germany are at war.
Brenda
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lies and deception abound on the road to the truth. Tess feels like her whole life is based on a lie and is on a journey to find what really matters in life.

I enjoyed this book very much and look forward to more form this author.

Cynthia Andrew
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is the most beautiful, outstanding and lovely written book i've ever read, plus so much feminism it makes me weak. I adore this book and I am going to be buying my own copy soon so that i can reread and reread and reread it until I die. ...more
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story but really ended abruptly
S.L.
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the most unique element of this novel is Goldman’s integration of her graphic artwork, telling their own story and adding to the depth of Tess’s character through her alter-ego. I looked forward to these pages, eager to learn more about the fierce Andrea Chambers and had to steel myself not to fan through the pages to read all the graphic novel entries first!

See my full review on the Reader Views Goodreads page and on www.readerviews.com.
Deb McDonald
Apr 03, 2019
Cristie Underwood
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book was amazing! The writing was brilliant and I loved the feminist approach. I will definitely be seeking out more by this author.
dianne procopio
Melissa Cheresnick
Apr 15, 2019

• Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • Là où les tigres sont chez eux
  • The 1,000-year-old Boy
  • Loiri.
  • Conspiracy Girl
  • Viimeinen voltti - Jari Mönkkösen tarina
  • Joe Quinn's Poltergeist
  • Pienet ahdistukset ja suuret surut
  • Temptation Street
  • Kohti huippua
  • Waves Break (on Unknown Shores)
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
  • The Lost Narwhal
  • Satu maahispeikosta
  • The Perfect Son
  • My Favourite Wife
  • Saarroksissa (Olli Holma, #1)
Jackie Goldman is the finalist for the Reader's Choice literary Awards 2019 (Awakening) and one of the best reviewed books for the month of October in October of 2018 (Beautiful Minds).

Jackie was born in Vancouver, Canada and moved to New York in the early '90's. She presently resides in Brooklyn with her two children.

Jackie enjoys both fiction and ghostwriting. You can find out more about her a

News & Interviews