Start by marking “Tinsey Clover” as Want to Read:
Tinsey Clover

Tinsey Clover

An award winning, best-selling early middle grade story for fans of Sarah Mlynowski, Kate DiCamillo, and Chris Colfer.

The coming-of-age tale about a spunky elf who must rely on her math skills, a pinch of odd magic, and some strange new friends as she works to break down borders and prejudices in her Icelandic Forest.

Tinsey Clover is smart. She's brave. Also, she can't ca
Published December 4th 2018 by Chelsea Walker Flagg

To ask other readers questions about Tinsey Clover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tinsey Clover

Cheryl
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun children's book. My niece will enjoy this book. For the older children this book can be read mostly by themselves as there are not a ton of large words. This is an important factor for children's books. In addition, to this factor, the characters and storyline were great.

Tinsey and all of the forest animals were intriguing. I can't really pick a favorite as each one was unique in their own way. I just wanted to hang out in the forest forever with Tinsey. She really opened up and came
Amy
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed Tinsey Clover. I found it to be quite the heartwarming, delightful and magical tale. Miss Tinsey is a brave little thing. It was fun to find out what she would get herself into on the follow pages. I never knew what she would do next.
I give Tinsey Clover four stars. I would love to read more by this author in the future. I think younger readers would enjoy it as much as I did.
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
Barred Owl Books
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tinsey Clover is smart. She’s brave. Also, she can’t carry a tune to save her life. Oh yeah, plus she's an elf the size of a chipmunk. When her bizarre magical power grows in and makes her feel like a total outsider in her own village, Tinsey sneaks into the forbidden forest on a journey to find someone more like her. From trolls to dragons, what she discovers along the way challenges everything, and everyone, she thought she knew.

A coming of age story for early middle grade fans of Sarah Mlynow
Betsy
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This well-developed, thoughtful, and charming tale features a lead who learns to embrace her individuality while navigating a world that discourages it. A beautiful, age-appropriate message! Initially isolated by her community, Tinsey comes to discover that there’s both beauty and strength in inclusivity, acceptance, and kindness. Chelsea Flagg has artfully built a world woven with subtle messages of determination, courage, curiosity, and wisdom. I appreciated having direct access to Tinsey’s th ...more
Lynn
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enter the fantastical world of Tinsey Clover as she and some awesome woodland creatures (I really love a good bunny character!) and her new friends adventure out into the forbidden forest, breaking down long held beliefs and learning about what is right and good in this world. This book was written for a much younger crowd than I, but it doesn't mean it didn't touch my heart and make me want to share it with everyone I know! You have to read this incredible, adventurous, original story of a brav ...more
Louise Tribble
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story

This book is definitely one of my favourites. Such a wonderful story full of amazing characters and beautiful sentiment. I can't wait to share it with my daughter.
Mary
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading about Tinsey Clover and her magical adventure. This story is perfect for the middle grade reader. Tinsey defies her parents and leaves their section of the forest and learns that life is not as it has been portrayed by her peers and family. A heartwarming story about doing the greater good and appreciating everyone for their differences.

I received a copy of this book from the author. Thank you, Chelsea Flagg, for the kind gesture.
Diana Holst
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
My 7 year old niece and I read this book together. She loved it, as did I! Very creative and fun!
Rachel Parrott
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Tinsley Clover is a plucky, warmhearted heroine challenging perceptions of others and questioning why her own stay to themselves. Pick up this book and visit a lovely, magical place with questions about how we live in ours.

My copy was a gift through Goodreads First Reads.
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway-wins
Even though I have outgrown the age group for this book, I can still appreciate its adventurous and magical story! It has such cute characters that are developed throughout their experiences. I won this book for a giveaway and im glad I did- Chelsea is truly a great author.
Tanya
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

This middle grade fantasy novel is easy to read and blends a deep meaning into a well-crafted story. The story centers around Tinsey and in her world, her people keep to themselves and don't interact with anyone outside their community. Like most middle grade stories (and one of the reasons for a lower rating as this trope is all too common), Tinsey is eager to explore the larger world. On her adventures she meets other magical creatures and discovers the world is a far different place than what
sophie clark
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This middle grade book is an adorable tale featuring a kind and plucky lead named Tinsey Clover. An elf the size of a chipmunk, Tinsey feels isolated in her community, keenly aware of not fitting in with the other elves. After developing an unusual (and funny) magical power, Tinsey decides to set off on an adventure, hoping to find a community that really feels like home. Her adventure leads her to meet many interesting and sweet magical folks, including the charming troll Judder (one of my favo ...more
Mark Smith
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There’s one true rule when it comes to children’s books. Children are the hardest critics. Never mind how deftly the writer pieces together a magical journey or fills it with amazing creatures. If it doesn’t stimulate the child’s mind, the parent wasted money. This is not so with Chelsea Walker Flagg’s tale about Tinsey Clover, a miniature elf that learns to use its magical powers. Flagg creates scenes that are just as comfortable as the reader’s home. This book will become a true heirloom to pa ...more
Charles Hanna
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
It can be hard to package the magical realism and world-building traits of the fantasy genre into a children’s-sized book, but Young Adult author Chelsea Walker Flagg Has attempted to do just that with her coming-of-age novel, Tinsey Clover.

The writing style of the book is well-suited to the story, in the sense that it’s like having an inside view of the main character’s thoughts, and hearing the particular speech patterns that are unique to her age group.

I’m not so familiar with this particul
Nicole
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable magical book!

First if the main character Tinsey was real or if I lived in her magical world, I'm certain we would be friends. In Tinsey's world, her people just don't interact with anyone outside their community. Well, she sees differently and is so eager to explore her world. When she finally does, adventure ensues. I loved the message behind this book. To be willing to meet and get to know others outside of our familiar kind. That is such an important lesson because we can often unint
Shelley
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tinsey Clover is a whimsical, heart-warming story about staying true to yourself while finding your place in the world. The story is set in the Bungaborg Forest where you will quickly fall in love with Tinsey Clover and everything she stands for. She is small (less than 4 inches tall) but oh so mighty. She is a math whiz (who wouldn’t love that), and has a quest to find a place where she fits in. Tinsey is brave, and has a huge heart. Her adventure challenges everything she has ever been taught ...more
Victoria
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uplifting and inspiring

Tinsey Clover is a little treaflur who doesn't quite fit in, desperately searching for purpose and meaning in a sheltered world that doesn't encourage individuality, and who through her own unique gifts and perseverance sets the stage for incredible growth and discovery for many. While this coming of age story is undoubtedly uplifting and inspiring, the writing style and dialogue of the story need some improvement, which with time I'm sure Flagg will continue to develop.
Ravin Maurice
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tinsey Clover is a fantastic little book that is perfect for young readers who are preparing to read chapter books, or as a book to read to your little one. The characters are well written, and the reader learns a little something through each stage of Tinsey's adventure. While there is some fighting it's not particularly violent. Tinsey's relationship with her brother Aspen is wonderful and will show the reader that even if you are very different you are still family.
This is a welcome addition
Katie
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tinsey Clover is a heartfelt, wonderful, magical story that all readers will enjoy. My two boys ages 6 and 8 loved it so much we had a hard time putting it down each night. I really loved it too! The story has so many great themes like embracing your true self, being understanding and kind, appreciating differences and overcoming fears and building confidence to name a few. We cant wait to read about Tinsey's next adventure!
Karen
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tinsey Clover is a nice read for kids in the third and fourth grades. They will enjoy the magical adventures of Tinsey the elf who can't hum or carry a tune for that matter. Tinsey also doesn't feel like she belongs to her community. That lack of connection to her peers is the catalyst for an adventure that takes her to new places where she meets new people in her quest to find where she belongs. It's a sweet story to read to your younger kids, and easy for those independent readers as well.
Ashley Hooker
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tinsey Clover is a trailblazer! She has spent her entire life behind the wall of Snugglepunk. Her curiosity gets the best of her and she decides to embark on a journey to experience the world outside her wall. Through her journey she finds that all creatures are different and that is a beautiful thing. Filled with magic and adventure, young readers are sure to enjoy this story.
Meg
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVE Tinsey and her crazy adventures! My daughter is 7 and this was such a fun, exciting book that kept her engaged and eager to keep reading. Tinsey is a brave little elf who realizes everything is not how it seems and to not just accept things because that's how they've always been. Very fun read and perfect for that younger age group!
Sandra
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book off Goodreads. Awesome read. Highly recommend.
Andrea
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Every once in a while I like to read a book for kids that falls outside of my normal choice of genre. This is definitely a book for kids who are into elves and magical creatures who like to go on adventures. I appreciated the deeper meanings in the story.

Flagg has created a world filled with many mini worlds within it. Each mini world has its own group or race of magical creature. These creatures do not mix and believe all kinds of horrible things about each other. Young Tinsey is especially sen
Julie
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This is one of the cutest books I've read in a long time. Written for middle grade children, there were even a couple of places in the book where I gasped and worried about the outcome! That's how engaging the book is (even for us so called adults!).

Tinsey is an elf living in a forest where a long time ago, all the forest creatures (like trolls and dragons) got along and were friends. Now Tinsey and the rest of her kind were not allowed to leave their small area of the forest. Tinsey's uncle, th
M.T. DeSantis
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.

Having read the Upside-Down Magic series by Sarah Mlynowski, I can firmly say this book’s description doesn’t lie. Tinsey Clover is perfect for kids (or adults…hi) who enjoy early middle grade fantasies about epic characters with lots of heart and guts.
The writing style, as evidenced by the excerpt above, is hilarious. It’s exactly what I expected from a book aimed at this audience. While the writing is fun and the sto
Kelsi Martin
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
In the beginning I found myself startled by Tinsey's use of numbers but I began to like the concept especially seeing how it was interlaced throughout the story. Tinsey's character felt her age, I enjoyed reading about the world she lives in and seeing the growth she gains as a character along with the friends she is able to make throughout the story.

Overall I found Tinsey Clover to be a fun and adventurous read about a girl who feels like an outcast among her people, eventually throughout her j
Chelsea Flagg
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
"Tinsey Clover is a fantastical children's story written by Chelsea Flagg. Tinsey Clover is a young elf who dreamed of leaving her chaotic home and exploring the world, while still trying to bring the nearby communities together in a peaceful reunion. On one glorious day, she finally got her wish and was able to go out on an adventure of a lifetime that was well beyond her expectations. Overcoming the restrictions that held her back, Tinsey left behind the comfort and safety of her family and ol ...more
Eileen Conway

• Song for a Whale
  • You Gotta Have Heart
  • Other Words for Home
  • The First (Endling #2)
Chelsea was once obsessed with cats, longed to live in a big city, didn’t think she would ever have children, and aspired to be an attorney. She now lives in Boulder, Colorado as a stay-at-home mom with her husband and three daughters. She has no current plans to own a cat.