Start by marking “No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work” as Want to Read:
No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work

No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work

The modern workplace can be an emotional minefield, filled with confusing power structures and unwritten rules. We're expected to be authentic but not too authentic. Professional but not stiff. Friendly but not an oversharer.

As organizational consultants and regular people, we know what it's like to experience uncomfortable emotions at work - everything from mild jealousy
Published February 5th 2019 by Portfolio (first published January 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about No Hard Feelings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Hard Feelings

Claire
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It's succinct and doesn't labour every point, but covers some very important points. The old advice of no emotion at work is just unrealistic and this book provides some excellent ways of handling things.

If you want each point covered in depth then I suggest you read the books referenced in the text. For me, this provided a great resource I can return to/reference having read many of those other books already. In the learning stage you maybe want the depth and many exam
Bookworm
Spotted this as a "new release" and thought it would be an interesting read. I had a performance review and training not long ago and so that was still fresh in my mind as I thought this would be a good read and was curious to know what the authors had a say.

The book is a good overview on what emotions we might encounter at work or around work, what might be the cause(s) and how we can manage them in productive ways. Topics cover everything from boredom to lack of interest to anxiety. Factors th
Robin
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a review - just some notes I would like to keep handy.

"...emotional dynamics affect our motivation, health, communication, decision making, and more. yet most of us ignore these emotions. Why is it that when we think of professionalism, we immediately jump to the idea that we should suppress everything we feel?" [p.4]

Emotional fluency
"the capacity to productively sense emotion and to know how and when to translate what you feel into healthy action." [p.10]

"no one tells us what to do if we're
Shanna
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I can't recall if I saw this book featured in a Buzzfeed listicle or a Girl's Night In newsletter, but, I am pleased to have had the chance to read it. It was surprisingly hard to find in the library system, but I was finally able to borrow it as an eBook.

While I was entertained by the illustrations scattered throughout the book, I felt that the book glossed over a lot and that the authors tried to tackle too many subjects at once in one tome. The authors did try to reference other works that de
Natalía Papadopoúlou
Not adequate emotional granularity to describe my feelings about this book ;)

Once upon a time not long time ago, I bumped into the Instagram account of LizAndMollie. I couldn’t help but anticipating the next clever illustration-explanation. I bought the book and just didn’t want to put it down till I finish it. I appreciated deeply how it covers most aspects of emotions at work with simplicity, humor and resourcefulness. I can sense the research and refinement that was done to put this through.
Ashley Lucht
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liz Fosslien and Mollie West Duffy courageously acknowledge how our human emotions don’t just fade away once we pull into our workplace parking lots, and then take it a step further to address, “What happens then?!”“No Hard Feelings,” is an insightful, witty, and relatable read, providing useful tools and tactics that anyone could implement for managing emotions at work.
Additionally, the illustrations are incredibly accurate depictions of some of the most common, real-world, sticky situations a
Rikki
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly enjoyable read and I plowed through it in one day. The illustrations are fun, and throughout the book I had moments of "oh, they really 'get' me." I'm on the "open book" side of emotional and struggle with how to harness and balance that at work. As I prepare to move to a new team soon, I've been thinking about how I will fit in and adapt to the new dynamics. This book was well-timed and offered lots of practical suggestions for better navigating the workplace as an empat ...more
Simon
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Would recommend for anyone with co-workers, bosses or direct reports. The book is easy to read and wickedly funny with plenty of illustrations by Liz Fosslien. The authors present it as an "illustrated guide". It provides practical and concrete advice backed up by research.

This book made me realise the importance of EQ (emotional intelligence) and gave me a lot of advice on how to deal, manage and express emotions at work while staying professional. In particular, I liked the chapter on being le
Kari Kirfman
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Motivational

Initially, I bought this book because I really loved Liz and Mollies Instagram comics. I also loved that they referenced Radical Candor as that book changed the way I look at work. I really feel that this book was the companion I needed for Radical Candor to help me understand how others are feeling and how I might help in tense situations. I'll definitely read this one again!
Dave Neary
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot to unpack in this book! I loved it - both as a treatise giving people permission to have and express feelings at work, and for providing a framework for people to do so in a positive, healthy, and productive way. The chapters on leadership, teams, communication, culture, and the effect of emotions on these, and that they have on emotions, are all great.
Nancy
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
If only this was written 10 years ago when I needed it most. I stayed in a job that made me miserable because for everything good action described in here, the exact opposite was being done there. At least where I work now the ideas and actions given in this book can be done and actually be welcomed.
Amy
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting hybrid of lessons about communication and self-management. I thought the self-management stuff was more helpful - namely, how specific emotions can serve as a guide for what to do next and how to make a decision. The communication stuff was less interesting and kind of jumbled up the flow; it felt like a chapter from another book.
Mike Gunderloy
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A leadership book that stepped out of my usual comfort zone and made me think, which is about all I can ask. The authors dig into the uses (and some of the misuses) of emotion at work, arguing that in the modern workplace selective vulnerability is a necessity. I'll likely come back to this one in the future when I hit some situation that I can't quite work through on my own.
Omar El-mohri
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, printed-copy
Mostly I liked the doodles, it gives a better meaning to the text.
However I don’t like some tendencies that sometimes not real, when you think that businesses has incentive to push and force representation of minorities just to not hurt others feelings.
Cari
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this one, especially the little comics that went along with the text. Easy to read and understand, and concepts that will help everyone get better at their work and staying in touch with their own emotions. In concert with Cy Wakeman's work, this book is a really powerful tool.
Lauren Savoie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really informative, quick read with clever illustrations that drive the book home and keep the book light hearted. Essential reading for anyone who has ever cried at work, or is looking for a way to deal with their work-related emotions.
Marianna
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lots of good advice in a concise package, but not necessarily anything I'd never heard before. Recommended overall - it never hurts to be reminded of good ideas you "already know" but aren't using because you forgot
Brittany Bernardi
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Easy read, and loved the illustrations. A super accessible guide to creating a work culture that's aware of the emotions we all bring to the table.
Andrea
Mar 15, 2019
Julie Baker
Mar 03, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Weird Parenting Wins: Bathtub Dining, Family Screams, and Other Hacks from the Parenting Trenches
  • Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • All in Startup: Launching a New Idea When Everything Is on the Line
  • The Purpose Is Profit: The Truth about Starting and Building Your Own Business
  • The Martha Manual: How to Do (Almost) Everything
  • Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life
  • The Librarian's Nitty-Gritty Guide to Social Media
  • Eggs, 1, 2, 3: Who Will The Babies Be?
  • The Fly
  • The Handmade Life: A Companion to Modern Crafting
  • Data for the People: How to Make Our Post-Privacy Economy Work for You
  • The Power Tactics of Jesus Christ and Other Essays
  • Reinforcements: How to Get People to Help You
  • Why Should Anyone Work Here?: What It Takes to Create an Authentic Organization