Start by marking “No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work” as Want to Read:
No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work

No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work

The modern workplace can be an emotional minefield, filled with confusing power structures and unwritten rules. We're expected to be authentic but not too authentic. Professional but not stiff. Friendly but not an oversharer.

As organizational consultants and regular people, we know what it's like to experience uncomfortable emotions at work - everything from mild jealousy
Published February 5th 2019 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about No Hard Feelings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Hard Feelings

Start your review of No Hard Feelings: The Secret Power of Embracing Emotions at Work
Robin
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not a review - just some notes I would like to keep handy.

"...emotional dynamics affect our motivation, health, communication, decision making, and more. yet most of us ignore these emotions. Why is it that when we think of professionalism, we immediately jump to the idea that we should suppress everything we feel?" [p.4]

Emotional fluency
"the capacity to productively sense emotion and to know how and when to translate what you feel into healthy action." [p.10]

"no one tells us what to do if we're
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I've been reading this book off and on at work, which I think I heard about on the Get Booked podcast. Helpful advice for dealing with emotions of others, using your own emotions as a tool for decision making and more. The first idea I want to apply is "user manuals" where people get to share their perspective of how they think/work.
Dave Neary
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot to unpack in this book! I loved it - both as a treatise giving people permission to have and express feelings at work, and for providing a framework for people to do so in a positive, healthy, and productive way. The chapters on leadership, teams, communication, culture, and the effect of emotions on these, and that they have on emotions, are all great.
Kelly
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Terrific topic and well-researched, but too much ground to cover in a book this length. It's basically a literature review of the entire field of emotions at work. I'd have gotten more value out of greater depth in a few key sub-topics.

Excerpts I'm stashing for later:

Don’t extend the logic of the workplace into your time off Many people are overly enthusiastic about optimizing free time. Stop falling into the type-A trap of compulsively making your hobbies more work than work. If you love to pla
Thom Behrens
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thought provoking book about how work culture influences your emotional wellbeing, and how your emotional wellbeing might be used to influence work culture.

Acknowledges emotional experiences of different genders & races, and speaks to how the modern American workplace was constructed around the white man's preference for comfort. Illuminating.

Good for everyone, great for introverts.

Definitely recommend buying/borrowing the physical book - the illustrations are very fun!
Bookworm
Spotted this as a "new release" and thought it would be an interesting read. I had a performance review and training not long ago and so that was still fresh in my mind as I thought this would be a good read and was curious to know what the authors had a say.

The book is a good overview on what emotions we might encounter at work or around work, what might be the cause(s) and how we can manage them in productive ways. Topics cover everything from boredom to lack of interest to anxiety. Factors th
Claire
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It's succinct and doesn't labour every point, but covers some very important points. The old advice of no emotion at work is just unrealistic and this book provides some excellent ways of handling things.

If you want each point covered in depth then I suggest you read the books referenced in the text. For me, this provided a great resource I can return to/reference having read many of those other books already. In the learning stage you maybe want the depth and many exam
Chance Lee
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-story
Excellent resource for workplace communication. Balances hard science with a firm but gentle tone. Includes lots of illustrations to enhance the message and brighten the mood. The book is definitely focused on intra-office communication, centered almost entirely on corporate workspaces at the exclusion of customer-facing enterprises. Many of the strategies inside are YMMV if you work a customer service job.
Jay Wilson
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Nothing necessarily groundbreaking, but good tips to keep in mind.

I'm new to the workforce, so the concept of how to handle emotions at work was totally new to me. In my previous role as a student, I expressed my emotions however I felt like it, since most of my time was mine. Now that it's not, that mindset has shown itself to be infeasible. This book has some good info in it, for sure, like keeping in mind that people simply have different preferred styles of communication, among other tidbits
Ashley
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career, non-fiction
Nice book to read to try to make the best of your attitude at work. Some tips on how to make the most of your emotions. I especially to apply it to work culture.

Megan Kurtz
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cannot recommend enough! We are all brainwashed at some point into thinking being an “emotional” person has no place at work or makes you weak, and nothing could be further from the truth. WE ARE HUMAN. Learning how to harness those feelings and use your superpowers for good is a powerful skill. I especially loved the chapters focused on culture and cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace. Learning how to reframe stressors, how to be selectively vulnerable and *GASP* be less passionate abo ...more
sarah semark
Introverts, read this. Extroverts, read this.
Leaders, read this. Managers, read this. Individual contributors, read this.

I think I would have really enjoyed this book even without all the charming (and funny) graphs and illustrations, but they really pushed it over from a four star to five, underlining the value of emotional connection even for otherwise relatively dry subject matter (work).

I was definitely in the "thinks emotions have no place in the workplace" camp until I read this, and it's
Stephanie
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: july, 2019
An excellent resource for exploring ways to be more emotionally intelligent at work.

While Fosslien and Duffy acknowledge the further challenges faced in work environments by people of color, the book could have very easily been five stars if they had deliberately addressed this significant issue and interviewed and quoted more people of color.
Valentina Palladino
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is all about managing your emotions in the workplace—and no, that doesn’t mean pretending emotions don’t exist in the workplace. Too often, many of us try to hide our emotions when we’re in a professional setting, and that’s not always the best way to handle the various circumstances we find ourselves in at work. Liz Fosslien and Mollie West Duffy provide strategies for how we can navigate the emotionally charged world that is the workplace, and how we can thrive without bottling up ev ...more
Jonathan Jackson
Let me first say I had to channel my cousin because she devours books in one day even though this took me a week and a half.
This is a elaborately humorous yet brutal take on organizational behavior and emotional intelligence. This book talks about mental exhaustion and how to avoid chronic venting. How a wandering mind is signifies an unhappy mind (a stressful upbringing can lead to a lack of concentration). It had a chapter in there about team members that are jerks, dissenters, and slackers,
Priya Raj
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
"Diversity is having a place at the table, inclusion is having a voice and belonging is having your voice heard"

This book had a lot of good points that we already know but have to hear to confirm our beliefs. It was a little hard to get through at times because there was a lot of information packed in with too few examples, making it hard to keep up.

Having said that - by the end of the book, you will atleast feel more comfortable embracing emotions at work and channeling them a little more produ
Melanie
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a female who struggles to manage my emotions at work sometimes, this book made me feel better. It highlights that it’s okay to feel feelings - but gives so much advice and many resources to support and improve emotions in many scenarios, such as working in teams, leadership and decision making. I wish I could give this to every person in my company. It’s that valuable. And, it’s coupled with witty cartoons and great advice. I also liked that Liz and Mollie provide additional resources on race ...more
Eileen
Aug 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was required reading for work. While it did have some useful tips, I found the cutesy style rather annoying. Also, as an autistic person, some of these recommendations just don't work for me. For example, their suggestion that you constantly smile at your coworkers - I have a flat affect at times and that just feels so unnatural to me, I know it won't come across as anything but painfully awkward.
Yoko
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a whole bunch of collection of “Yes I’ve been there! I’ve done that! I feel you!” Work days are hectic for everyone. NO HARD FEELINGS is nicely illustrated the situation and giving us very practical tips how to keep stable emotions. It is very useful because “Managing your feeling is as important as managing your reports!”
C.E. G
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This wasn't mind-blowing, but it felt medicinal in that it was just so validating. It helped me put words to some dynamics that had felt difficult in previous workplaces, and gave me some ideas for adjusting to my new position. The cute graphics definitely helped keep my eyes moving, as well.
Nicole
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have quite a few passages marked and quite a few things to think about. Great book for anyone working in a "typical" workplace where you have face-to-face interactions, email conversations and endless meetings. There are bits for everyone.
Olena Sovyn
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The insightful short book that covers all needed shades of the emotions at work subject. It refers to classic in this field, like "Radical candor," "Emotional intelligence," etc. However, it also brings to the table its thought-provoking ideas
Angi
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Illustrates, literally, how to use the emotions that affect our work - from personal decision making to working in teams - to our advantage. The hilarious drawings in this solid read were my collective spirit animal.
Adam
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good stuff in there.
Samantha Hines
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on the workplace that I’ve read.
Colona Public Library
This is an amazing book that everyone should read that are in the workforce today or in the future. The tips in this book were great and very helpful. The illustrations were a great touch.

~ April
Jeff
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Solid.
Swapnil Agarwal
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No one talks about emotion at work! Liz and Mollie present actionable ideas for making life better. The future of work is emotional so we might as well begin to work on it.
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. There were some helpful things that I'm going to try and implement in my daily life. Will definitely be on my professional development shelf for sure.
Jessica
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Cute drawings and accessible writing with some great tips.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Weird: The Power of Being an Outsider in an Insider World
  • Good Habits, Bad Habits: The Science of Making Positive Changes That Stick
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • Biased: Uncovering the Hidden Prejudice That Shapes What We See, Think, and Do
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Successful Aging: A Neuroscientist Explores the Power and Potential of Our Lives
  • You're Not Listening: What You're Missing and Why It Matters
  • You Look Like a Thing and I Love You: How Artificial Intelligence Works and Why It's Making the World a Weirder Place
  • Overworked and Overwhelmed: The Mindfulness Alternative
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • Amazon: How the World's Most Relentless Retailer Will Continue to Revolutionize Commerce
  • Never Stop Learning: Stay Relevant, Reinvent Yourself, and Thrive
  • Together: Why Social Connection Holds the Key to Better Health, Higher Performance, and Greater Happiness
  • Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness
  • The Fearless Organization: Creating Psychological Safety in the Workplace for Learning, Innovation, and Growth
  • "Я змішаю твою кров із вугіллям". Зрозуміти український Схід
  • Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking the Stress Cycle
  • Resilient Management

News & Interviews

“Success depends on psychological safety. At Google, members of teams with high levels of psychological safety were less likely to leave their jobs, brought in more revenue, and were rated effective twice as often by executives. MIT researchers who studied team performance came to the same conclusion: simply grouping smart people together doesn’t guarantee a smart team. Online and off, the best teams discuss ideas frequently, do not let one person dominate the conversation, and are sensitive to one another’s feelings.” 5 likes
“Work provides us with a sense of purpose and can offer instant gratification in the form of praise, raises, and promotions. But the more we tie who we are to what we do, the more we emotionally attach to our jobs.” 2 likes