Start by marking “Sandman” as Want to Read:
Sandman

Sandman

Katia Billings, EMT with the Emergency Medical Services of Buxton Beach, NC, is one of the first to respond after a hurricane rips through the small island community. As she helps search for survivors, she and her fellow responders discover a secret that will haunt Katia the rest of her life.

Lurking beneath the sand dunes is an evil that no one suspected.

A sandy grave no
Published December 15th 2018 by Flashpoint Publications

To ask other readers questions about Sandman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sandman

Susan Austin-Vick
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sandman is a rich tapestry of twisted emotion and characters who will be woven into your psyche. Katia is the damaged protagonist who you will love and yearn to protect as she navigates the investigation of the serial killer who creates havoc in her small beach town in North Carolina. With each warped move of the killer, the reader will need one more chapter to satisfy the need to know the outcome of this thriller. This is the perfect book to curl up with and finish in one sitting because these ...more
susan
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness.

I love thrillers. And Tammy Bird hit a home run. Normally I like a fast pace thriller, but this one was the right pace. There were so many twist and turns going on. At one point I thought we weren't going to find out who the killer was. The characters were well developed and believable. I hope there is a sequel coming. I definitely recommend this book.
Linnas
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the book. It is dark, as it covers many difficult and timely topics, but very engaging. The atmosphere reminded me of the Diane Wood’s books a bit. I would approach Sandman as a collection of irrevocably intertwined lives to discover rather than a mystery to solve.

The characters are interesting and well-developed. I especially appreciated the parts told from the Marco’s, Kaita’s brother with autism spectrum disorder, POV.

There is a romantic subplot which never takes the front stage kee
Marina DelVecchio
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A psychological thriller that brings to light how childhood abuse by a trusted figure can twist the insides of a human being, this book had me turning the pages, refraining from going to the end to see who the Sandman really was. The ending was unexpected and thrilling. First of all, we don’t know who the serial killer that slashes the throats of “bad” women is until the very end, and this made the book exciting and unpredictable. Secondly, I loved that the women are the heroes in this novel. Th ...more
Tootie Strain
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this book in one day - could not put it down! Tammy is a awesome upcoming author! If you love mystery thrillers this is a great read!! Will have you guessing until the end!
Tzipora
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The characters are so real and the story engaging.
Jen Paul
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sandman is sure to please any reader with a taste for dark, twisted thrillers. This novel threatens the very idea of safety- even in an idyllic beach town. The characters are raw- some deliciously, others disturbingly so. Don't start reading until you're ready to see it through. You won't want to stop until you've turned the last page; but even then you'll be upset that it's over.
Lisa
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This psychological thriller will make you think twice about your simple familiar surroundings and those you thought you knew. From the very beginning you will be drawn into the turmoil that this quiet little beach town finds itself in and the secrets that lie just beneath their feet. Page after page you will stay engaged and won't want to put it down, because just when you think you know the answers, you will find yourself questioning your theory.

The author draws you into the characters and the
Terri
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
great first novel with interesting characters taking place in NC. wonderful meeting the author too. I'm not into mysteries but this one holds you to the very end. looking forward to future writings.
Martha Foster
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful, kept my interest throughout. The novel had well-developed characters that one soon cares a lot for, which adds to the suspense. Even though I guessed “whodunnit”, it still came as a shock to me, contradictory as that may seem — you’ll understand if you read the book, which I highly recommend!
Kristin Charles
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book is a page turner for sure. This mystery is told from many different view points. Although it’s theme is very dark (especially at times), it also shows that there is life after tragedy. I would recommend to anyone that likes mystery and psychological thrillers with just a bit of romance thrown in.
Elizabeth Baker
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This debut novel by Tammy Bird, a North Carolina writer, is as suspenseful and thrilling as it is touching to read. As a native North Carolinian who has spent many a summer, fall, and winter at the Outer Banks, I found that Bird gets Hatteras Island (and its villagers) spot on. What she gets even better, though, is drawing the reader into caring about a character so deeply that you hurt for her losses. And there are many. Katia is a complex young woman with a small circle of friends (and a CSI g ...more
Renee Hoffman
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story, Tammy Bird! I loved the suspense! I couldn’t put it down but did to savor the ending. I loved how Tammy wove Autism and spoon theory into CSI and crime scene stuff! Absolutely brilliant!
Katie Lovin
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely captivating. I couldn't put it down. Well developed characters that I cared about. Can't wait for the next book from Tammy Bird!
Melissa Clark (The Lesbian Bookworm)
As most of you know I’m a huge fan of thrillers. When I was given the opportunity to read Sandman by Tammy Bird I jumped at the chance. I mean who doesn’t love a strong group of lesbians fighting against time to bring a serial killer to justice.

I was drawn into Sandman from the very start. Katia is everything I love in a main character. She is cool in the face of danger and willing to do anything to help protect the ones she loves. When a hurricane rips through the Outer Banks of North Carolina
Rhonda Welfare
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This first book by Tammy Bird was heart-warming, creepy, frightening, surprising, and hard to put down. Characters were well defined and I was rooting for them, not only to solve the mystery before any more bodies piled up, but to work through their own issues. I found myself worrying about the characters after the book ended, which I consider one sign of a really good book. I gave the book four stars instead of five because (a) I'm a tough grader, and (b) I want Tammy Bird's next book to be eve ...more
Beth Burnett
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I should note first that I don't normally read thrillers. I read this one because I heard the author read a five-minute snippet from this book at a reading and it was visceral enough to make me want to check out the book. It took me a little while to get into it - the first couple of chapters - but once I was in, I was deeply in. The characters are well-rounded and interesting with their individual foibles and their real human conversations. I love how the author delved into the psyches of the d ...more
Jess Bechtold
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Did not see the end coming at all. 4 stars because I felt like the story really dragged in the beginning and because I felt that "fuck" was used ENTIRELY too much throughout the book...it made the writing seem a bit amateur to me. (And yes, I do use it as part of my vocabulary, as needed, so I am not overly sensitive about it.)
donna sorrentino
Angela Johnson
Dec 18, 2018
Arikka Carnes
May 09, 2019
Tammy Bird lives in Wendell, North Carolina with her wife and two cats. She is an educator by day and a writer by night. Her greatest passion is storytelling with a purpose. As such, the most important part of the writing process for her is the development of characters who represent the under-represented.

Tammy's work is rarely defined as sweet or cozy, and she likes it that way. She is not here