Start by marking “The Isle” as Want to Read:
The Isle

The Isle

EXPOSE THE DARKEST OF SECRETS AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD

A deadly menace threatens a remote island community and every man, woman and child is in peril. Sent to the isle to collect the remains of a dead fugitive, US Marshal Virgil Bone is trapped by torrential storms.

As the body count rises the community unravels, and Bone is thrust into the role of investigator. Aided by a
Published December 4th 2018 by Grey Matter Press

To ask other readers questions about The Isle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Isle

Michael Hicks
John C. Foster's The Isle is a gothic New England horror/mystery that is positively ripe with atmosphere. It's the kind of book where you can practically see the crabs darting to and fro and taste the salt in the misty air, as you worry that your Kindle might start growing barnacles. When it comes to tone and a sense of place, The Isle is abundantly rich. Unfortunately, it's also a story that left me a bit damp in the end.

The premise is pretty simple, but Foster shades in some well-layered compl
Mindi
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was sent to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

The Isle is a gothic New England horror story that is so vivid and descriptive you can almost imagine smelling the sea air as you read. Additionally, the Isle itself and its inhabitants are so vividly written that you feel as if you have been transported back in time. This is an island that is completely shut off from the mainland, and the islanders have lived a simple life that is very similar to the founding se
David
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3 stars is the best I can give this one. My review can be read here ---> https://wp.me/p5t5Tf-1Kw
Steve Stred
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews!***

Grey Matter Press has been pumping out some truly fantastic work as of late. I am in the minority where the only other GMP release I have had the pleasure of reading thus far was Devouring Dark by Alan Baxter. I ate that book up and was really excited to jump the deep end with this one. (Sorry had to do a water pun there!)

The Isle has everything I would ever dream of in the synopsis. A strange island cut off from the mainland by a ferry ride
Frank Errington
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review copy

The Isle is a dark and demented look at the way life, or what passes for it, has evolved on a remote island off the New England coast.

No doubt, John C. Foster knows how to string words together...

"Dawn was a red rim of anger on the horizon as the storm gathered its strength and the wind tried to rip the door from his grip. Waves detonated against the rocks with loud explosions of white foam, the ocean matching the swirling fury of the storm clouds overhead."

Foster is an artist who is
Max III
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foster taking on weird island cult horror? Yes, please.
Armand Rosamilia
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of this author's work because he has such an ominous tone and voice in his work. He grips you from the opening page and you know you're in for a great dark ride.

My only (small) complaint was wanting more of this story! Otherwise, the characters are so well-developed and unique you feel like you're reading a history of the isle. Can't wait to read more of his work!
Mommacat
Review Copy

A closed society. Secrets. Atmosphere you can taste. Names have power and John C Foster was wise enough to dedicate THE ISLE to the pair who came up with the historical names for this horrifying novel of one New England village.

Foster's writing was beautiful and flowed easily from one page to the next. He took care to write conversation in the dialect of Maine, giving the book even more flavor.

My only complaint was the abrupt ending. Other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this
Red Lace Reviews
US Marshal Virgil Bone finds himself amongst the Isle's isolated community - a community that shares a horrific past that still taints their daily life. Mistrusted and clearly unwelcome from the onset, Bone struggles to do his job, which was supposed to be the simple collection of a fugitive's dead body. Now he's stranded, surrounded by secrets and a rising death toll. If only he wasn't met with aggression, then maybe he could help save lives.

(WARNING: This review contains minor spoilers.)

I rece
Nicholas Kaufmann
John C. Foster has written an exceptional gothic mystery, heightened by an atmosphere of ancient New England fishing towns, Puritan folklore, storm-tossed seas, and the secrets that lay buried beneath it all. It's the attention to detail that brings out THE ISLE's astounding authenticity, from the eerie lobstermen -- childhood rattles made of crucified lobster shells with a baby tooth inside -- to the insular community traditions so confusing to outsiders, to modern-day characters still bearing ...more
Lesley Hillman
First of all I would like to that Grey Matter Press for a copy of ‘The Isle’ to read in exchange for an honest review.
The lead protagonist, Bone, is sent to The Isle to retrieve the body of a fugitive, Richard Slocum. “Still a federal fugitive until we bring him in” he is told. He takes passage on Leviathan, a fishing boat captained by one by the interesting character, Samuel Weeks. Bone has many issues of his own to deal with such as the drinking problem that led to the death of his wife. He i
Lauren Davis
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you're a fan of gothic(ish), horror thrillers, you'll be delighted with this, his latest novel.

I Love John C. Foster's voice. It is SO dark and filled with portent! He has a wonderful way of increasing the tension with every page, and yet also infusing his characters with a bit of sly humor. His choice of names, for example -- Bones, and Honor and Increase and Burden. Then there are the crabs, clanking out of everything, and the lobster down in the deep dark depths, and the murders, and the
Randy
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must read!

What a unique, scary story. The atmosphere in this book is so real, I felt as though I could smell the sea, and the tension at times was almost claustrophobic. It reminded me of watching those great old European horror movies at the all night drive- in theater back when I was a boy. Isolated and alone , with very little communication or interaction with the outside world. has left these island folk full of superstition and legends...or is it all truly real? Sometimes the folk tales a
Karen Heuler
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will never go to an isolated, abandoned island, because now I know what could be there. The Isle is a November book, the beginning of a dark season, taking place in the cold and the wet, with shapes in the shadows and teeth in the dolls the children play with. Foster’s writing is so good that you’ll feel the damp and the chill, you’ll hear the shrieks and the inhuman mutter, you’ll see those children and their awful games, and worst of all, you’ll smell what’s cooking in the pots on feast day.
Heather Inocencio
Dec 05, 2018
K.A. Masters
Mar 02, 2019
Angie Bulkeley
rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2019