Start by marking “The Orphan's Song” as Want to Read:
The Orphan's Song

The Orphan's Song

The historical adult debut novel by # 1 New York Times bestselling author Lauren Kate, The Orphan's Song is a sweeping love story about family and music--and the secrets each hold--that follows the intertwined fates of two Venetian orphans.

A tangled knot of betrayal and love, lies and redemption. Marvelous. --Fiona Davis, author of The Address

A song brought them together
Published June 25th 2019 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Orphan's Song, please sign up.
Marilyn Rondeau Yes - I would say so! I DON'T READ Erotica

Start your review of The Orphan's Song
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Abandoned by her mother at two days old and seeing another mother abandon her child at the orphanage turned Violetta off from ever wanting to be a wife or a mother.

When Violetta meets Mino from the boys’ side of the orphanage, it is instant attraction, but he wants what she won’t give him - a promise to be his wife and mother of his children which would be a way out of the orphanage, but she can't do it.

The Incurables is an orphanage that stresses music. Violetta works hard at her singing, but
Deanne Patterson
You will feel as though you are being serenaded while reading this historical adult debut novel .
Orphans will pull at your heart strings as they do in this story. The The Hospital of the Incurables, the revered music school and orphanage houses boys and girls separately.
When a chance meeting on the roof of the home has her meeting a boy from inside the exciting adventure begins. Mesmerizing, I could hardly put this book down as I was transported to Venice among the glamour and exciting vibe of
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Orphan's Song
Series: Standalone
Author: Lauren Kate
Release date: June 25, 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre: historical fiction

Life was like music; if you changed a single note, you changed the entire song.

I loved the premise of this story and how it was inspired in real life. The author's note explains how the idea took root, and how she became completely immersed in Mino and Violetta's world in 18th century Venice. While visiting the city, she stumbled upon the real life building that was on
Susan Johnson
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This author was previously a YA author and it shows. There are pages and pages of Violetta and Mino's one day of freedom and stolen kiss. I think this must be more appealing to a younger audience but bored me to tears. Luckily, there were lots of interesting parts to make up for it. It's set in Venice in the 1700's and the sense of place and time is excellent.

Violetta and Mino were orphans in The Incurables Orphanage. The girls were raised to be musicians, mostly singers, who sang at church se
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Violetta's childhood has been anything but easy at Venice's Hospital of the Incurables, which is a strange place that is not only an orphanage, but is also a music school. The Incurables have an incredible and exclusive chorus and Violetta not only dreams of singing in it, but also of leaving behind this life. Sixteen year old Violetta escapes to the rooftop one night and she meets Mino, who is also an orphan and a talented violinist. Mino has big dreams too; he hopes to one day find his mother ...more
Karen Macedo
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. Thank you to G.P. Putnam's Sons. I really liked this book . The story is about two orphans who find solace in each other. The descriptions of Venice in the 1700's are captivating. A good historical fiction..
Karen KK
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

Violetta a soprano and Mino a violinist, want nothing more than to make music. But circumstances and proper behavior prevent them from being together.

The story lagged a bit in the middle.
Michelle Stockard Miller
Review coming soon...
Amy
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Love, as Mino felt it, meant taking your beloved in your arms, tipping her lips, and saying I love you with all of yourself.”

I’m not gonna lie. I am a huge fan of Lauren Kate’s young adult books and totally loved her Fallen Series. So, when I heard that Lauren Kate was not only dipping her toes in Adult Fiction, but Historical Romance, I just knew I had to get my hands on this book.

The Orphan’s Song is set in 1736 Venice. On the rooftop of the Hospital for Incurables, fate has brought together
Alyssa Palombo
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Vividly brings to life 18th-century Venice; this novel makes you feel like you're there!
Annette
Venice, 1725: At the southern edge of the city, there is a nursery for foundling children, the Incurables, renowned for training its foundling girls into a conservatory of musicians. “Foundling boys grew up and moved on to apprenticeships; they needed no musical training. But to keep the girls off the streets, they were taught to sing and play for the church (…) The Incurables was made of music – the finest in the city and therefore in the world.”

Violetta, one of the foundling girls, now at the
Virginia
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a fan of Lauren Kate's YA novels, I was not disappointed by this book. Written with the same ease as her previous works, Kate works in more adult topics perfect for its mysterious and magical setting of Venice.
The story follow two orphans who grew up in The Hospital of the Incurables known as a orphanage and a revered music school. The two characters, Violetta and Mino, meet under unexpected circumstances and find a kindred soul in the other. However, their goals in life are very different a
Kathy
Jun 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a newly released book I snapped up from the library, but I found it not to my taste. It sounded like something I would like with Venice setting, but the author did not successfully transition from her YA writing experience to Adult level.
The Lit Bitch
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Lauren Kate is probably best known for her young adult series, Fallen. I haven’t read the series but I do know her books and had them on my TBR. This book, The Orphan’s Song, is her first attempt at adult historical fiction.

When it came across my desk for review a couple of months ago, I met it with mixed emotions. On one hand I was excited for the book because it sounded fun and clearly she’s an experienced author. Not to mention this cover is to DIE for! But I also had reservations because som
Kayla
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Fate really has a sense of humor!

5 stars
The amount of times Letta and Mino just missed each other or just passed each other by chance is just CRAZY! Despite that, this story really pulled me in. So much that I avoided sleep to finish the last 3hrs and 40min . . . I couldn't stop listening and I was cringing the entire last hour. Really enjoyed this book!
Susan Peterson
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Prepare to be swept away by this compelling and heartfelt tale of Violetta and Mino, two orphans left behind at the Hospital of the Incurables in Venice in the early 18th century. Their stories are filled with dreams of escape and love, but they are tormented by heartbreak and betrayal. The star of this book is Venice, its music, its secrets, its mystery. I felt as if I were there, wearing my own mask, walking the cobbled streets, winding through the ribbons of canals on a gondola, in its finest ...more
Madeline
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
Ok, the writing is fine. But I just can’t believe that as I’m 14% into this book, they are both head over heels in love with each other.. like they have met a couple times. Which weren’t even shown to us in the book, making it even more unbelievable that they’d form such a bond. I was curious to read Kate’s adult debut but it’s leaning a bit too cheesy/YA for me.
Sharlene
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my, I can't say enough about how much I loved this book. Very informative about the time period in Venice and such great characters. Could not put it down and stayed up late reading.
Donna
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This is Historical Fiction. I haven't read anything by her prior to reading this book. I liked a few things in this one. First, the time period was enchanting. I liked the history, the people and the early charm of Venice. I also liked Violetta, MC. She was well drawn and I liked her journey and how it came full circle.

The insta-love with Mino seemed ripped right out of a Young Adult book. It was sweet, but it's like it happened behind closed curtains. I had a hard time believing it was the kind
Jillian Doherty
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adored Lauren Kait‘s previous series, and was elated to discover her new book.

A charming love story set in Venice, quickly becomes heartbreaking when too young lives are separated by the people they think they should be.

Their lives are forever changed; one on believable moment set in motion new stories full of music, searing back drops, and colorful characters.
I enjoyed the end of the story as much as the beginning!

Galli borrowed from the publisher.
Myndi
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lauren Kate wrote one of my favorite YA fantasy series, Fallen. When I was offered the chance to read her first adult novel, I was 100% on board and SUPER excited. And I was NOT disappointed!

It was no surprise that she nailed the relationship building and chemistry between the characters. Kate is a master at writing love stories, the kind that you feel not just in your heart, but in the very marrow of your bones. It is impossible to not want the main characters together, until Kate reminds us th
Joan Happel
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Set in 18th century Venice, the story follows two orphans, Violetta and Mino. Both are residents of the Incurables, a hospital and orphanage where girls are trained in music with the hopes of joining the Coro, while the boys are sent out for apprenticeships. Violetta and Mino meet one day in the attic of the orphanage where each has gone to dream of a different future. Violetta wants to escape into the Venice she sees below her and be able to sing freely, while Mino just wants to be able to play ...more
Donna Hines
"A song brought them together. A secret will tear them apart."
"Life was like music; if you changed a single note, you changed the entire song."
A trip to Venice has inspired the author to write about it's history, its culture, its orphanages.
While this was beautiful and awe inspiring the story started to falter for me with the execution.
It begins with a romance of sorts and a defiance by Violetta to form and mold her own rebellious ways all minor in substance until Mino came into her life as he
Shannon Dyer
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this period of history! Review to come at AAR.
Larisa Lupu
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
such a great book .love it
Ashley
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Prior to reading 'The Orphan's Song' I wasn't familiar with the author, Lauren Kate. After learning she has previously written YA novels, the vibe of this book makes so much more sense. It reads like a YA novel with bits and pieces being elevated to the adult hist-fic genre. It's not bad but it's also not at all what I expected. It's just so predictable and convenient.

By the time I reached about 15% through the book, the main characters had only met 2-3 times (that we knew about) yet were compl
Crystal King
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An interesting foray into the world of Renaissance Venice and the lives of two orphans caught up in the machinations of society. I know a lot about Italy in that era but hadn't been aware of the musical legacy of the orphanage of the Incurables, so it was a delight to discover more about that part of that watery city. A beautiful and heart-wrenching love story that any reader of Italian historicals will love.
Amy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down and it’s got me even
more curious about Venice during this time period.
Meredith Rankin
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, historical
The Orphan's Song by Lauren Kate
Genre: historical
Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: 2019

Thanks to Netgalley, Penguin Books, and Lauren Kate for providing an advanced reader's copy in exchange for an honest review. I appreciate it.

Summary:
In 18th century Venice, orphans have few options. In the orphanage known as the Incurables, a young boy and girl meet secretly and bond over their mutual love of music and dreams of escape. Violetta, a gifted singer, is chosen for the widely-renowned coro. Bu
Amber
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from BookCon 2019 and G.P. Putnam's Sons in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

This book was absolutely beautiful.

I don’t typically go in for romance, but sometimes, when it’s paired with exquisitely written historical fiction, I fall head-over-heels for it. That’s how I feel about The Orphan’s Song.

I picked this book up at BookCon a couple weeks ago, and had the opportunity to meet Laur
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Home for Erring and Outcast Girls
  • To Pleasure a Lady (Courtship Wars #1)
  • Mistress of the Ritz
  • The Chelsea Girls
  • Die unsichtbare Stadt (Das Herz der Zeit, #1)
  • All the Flowers in Paris
  • The Women of the Copper Country
  • Dragonfly
  • Where the Light Enters (The Waverly Place #2)
  • Molto amore per nulla
  • The Golden Hour
  • Ribbons of Scarlet: A Novel of the French Revolution's Women
  • The Undertaker's Assistant: A Captivating Post-Civil War Era Novel of Southern Historical Fiction
  • Cartier's Hope
  • Death in Focus (Elena Standish #1)
  • A Single Thread
  • Where She Went
  • The Perfect Wife
Lauren Kate is the author of the Fallen novels, the Teardrop novels, and The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove, and her newest release, The Orphan's Song. She lives in Laurel Canyon with her family.