Start by marking “More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)” as Want to Read:
More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)

More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)

In this part-manifesto, part-memoir, the revolutionary editor who infused social consciousness into the pages of Teen Vogue explores what it means to come into your own—on your own terms

Throughout her life, Elaine Welteroth has climbed the ranks of media and fashion, shattering ceilings along the way. In this riveting and timely memoir, the groundbreaking journalist
Published June 11th 2019 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about More Than Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than Enough

Start your review of More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)
Brandice
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are is a memoir by journalist Elaine Welteroth. While it’s her story, there is a plethora of advice for anyone seeking more, who may doubt themselves from time to time. Welteroth uses her own experiences to highlight the points she makes about trusting yourself, knowing your worth, and making big decisions in life.

I wasn’t familiar with Welteroth prior to Bravo’s reboot of Project Runway last year. As a long time fan of the show, I quickly became
Michelle
So many kernels of wisdom. So many seeds of love and empowerment.
Rachel Mantas
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I have to say Wow!

This book really put some things into perspective for me. Some which I knew already, being a woman, and the challenges we face everyday in the work place and life and even touch on the #MeToo movement. It also really helped open my eyes to some amazing pieces I wasn't aware of for the Black community. There are so many beautiful inspiring stories in this book, I recommend it to all my friends. It has also helped me, as I am starting up at a new company, to find my voice
Cortney
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
“We went through what we went through so that you could live, baby girl. So you gotta live. Run after it. And know that we are all with you.”

I was tearing up at the first chapter. This book was easy to read and Elaine passes on so many little gems and life lessons. I loved how she made sure to talk about the many challenges she faced while trying to achieve her goals. Watching someone’s life play out on social media can make things appear more prefect than they really are. Looks can be
Elizabeth Darrell
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Never has a memoir made me feel so seen and motivated. More Than Enough is a book that will resonate with any minority who has ever felt invisible, any woman who's ever been in a shitty relationship, and any young budding millennial activist trying to pave their way through their professional field. Elaine is nothing short of an icon. I could easily read this book a thousand times over.
Morgan
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book. I have no words and so many words about why I loved this book so much. Elaine Welteroth is truly an inspiration for so many reasons, and getting to read her story in her beautifully written words- I am thankful for the experience. Her rise to Editor-In-Chief of Vogue is extraordinary. She even says in the book that people are often interested in the results and the firsts, but now the hustle it takes to get there. For me as a young black woman professional reading about her ups ...more
Rose
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quick review for a wonderfully inspiring read. Elaine Welteroth's "More than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are" is an inspiring, honest, sometimes humored and sometimes candored look at the life of the author as she navigates her early years to her journey to becoming the first African American editor of a Conde Nast magazine (Teen Vogue). She takes a detailed look into her family history - how her parents met and their struggles - to navigating her own enthusiastic pursuits and interests, ...more
Robin
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Since Elaine is a new judge on Project Runway, I wanted to hear her story, but assumed I would skim through this book just to get the gist of it. I ended up reading every word. Loved it.
Kimberly
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this memoir which captures a unique moment in time, and elevated the importance of black female voices on all platforms.
Ashley Ryan
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is no way not to fall in love with this author and her commitment to success and bringing light to what mainstream media does not. Thank you, Elaine. I feel like I found a friend in these pages.
Cathline
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many quoteable moments in this book. Really inspiring and helpful for people from all walks of life
Jessica Pinckney
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mixed raced woman hustling hard, Elaine Welteroth spoke to my soul in this book. My deepest fears, my biggest dreams, my highest hopes were all in these pages and I’m grateful for her work and her powerful storytelling and soul baring.
Amanda
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holy shit, go read this book. Welteroth is a formidable talent and her memoir is raw and honest, equal parts confession and advice. Totally inspiring and bad-ass. Ending the first day of the #24in48readathon at 6 hours and 20 minutes, not too shabby!
Jewel Hernandez
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I live in the same small city that Elaine grew up in, I was curious to read what she had to say about it and love hearing about familiar settings. Also, I was definitely nosy. I got so much more out of this book than I ever expected! Elaine's journey has been incredibly inspiring and motivational.
Nicole Martin
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great listen. I love the narration from the Welteroth family (her parents have great voices), this inclusion was new to me in an audiobook.

Not only was this well written, it was genuinely relatable for me. Chapter 21 hit me hard as it highlighted the areas in which I've heavily struggled when trying to achieve a work/life balance, but overall, Elaine Welteroth has given us a memoir that is raw, honest, and (most importantly) inspiring.
Tia
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just another spectacular memoir I’ve read in the last year. I keep feeling that I’ve read enough of them but folks are writing and sharing the thought-provoking, inspiring stories of their lives. Another read I’d definitely recommend for any FOD (look it up) in any field.
Pam
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Forgive me for the hastags and @'s, I'm copying and pasting from my Instagram. Why reinvent the wheel?

I just finished this gem of a book. It's about identify, race, belonging, confidence, courage, leadership, and so much more. I saw @elainewelteroth speak at the @uofdenver Women's Conference and the woman was dripping with poise. Her voice shines through in the book the same way it did from the stage.

What struck me most was the courage she drew on in every stage of her illustrious career (from
Becky
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite events every year is Leadercast, particularly Leadercast Women. It was at the last event that Elaine spoke. I was mesmerized as I tried to write down everything she was saying as fast as I could. Everything seemed to apply. She was referencing other women that I look up to, quoting Eve Ewing "There is no glory in a grind that grinds you down," and Ava Duvernay "I think the universe is calling you to be a little bit braver right now."

This book has so many lessons on listening
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, memoir
I was excited to finally listen to this audiobook as I was obsessed with Teen Vogue as a teenager and followed many of the staff throughout their careers, including Elaine and also Eva Chen. I loved hearing more about Elaine's career journey and how hard she worked to get where she is now. It was super interesting to hear about what goes on behind in the scenes in the publishing world and also a little bit on the the #MeToo movement started. I'm looking forward to seeing where Elain goes next :)
Jerrell Everett
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It was so fun to read a memoir by someone my age. I was so inspired by all she has accomplished and learned in just 33 years of life. And as a lover of fashion and beauty and journalism, this was especially interesting for me to read. Highly recommend the audiobook, read by Elaine with special appearances by her parents. However, I will be purchasing the actual book to save for my girls to read one day.
Jenna
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely LOVED this book. It is hands down one of my favorite reads. Elaine was very transparent and I saw myself so many times within her journey. I finished this book feeling seen, understood, and extremely proud of the work she has done and will continue to do. There are so many gems that I know this will not be a one time read.
Alison Caldicott
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant read and Elaine is one truly inspirational woman. I am still floored that they closed Teen Vogue when Elaine was at the helm and creating some of the most compelling female focused content on the planet. Jam packed with super useful personal and professional life lessons for women of all ages and backgrounds.
Donna
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All of this! I loved this book!
Vince McCollum
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was exactly what I needed. Elaine Welteroth is an inspiration, showing exactly what happens with defined goals, a strong work ethic, and the courage to make the spaces for yourself if they aren’t there already. I finished this inspired and ready to take on the next chapters of my own life. Throughout her book, she mentions how she didn’t know she needed something and then it was presented to her. This is how I feel about this book. I didn’t know I needed her final two chapters, ...more
R
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure what to say. This book was immensely readable and so interesting. Go and read the other reviews on this book. They said it better than I can at this time.
Casey Frank
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely and lovingly crafted memoir that both took me inside an unfamiliar world with someone I was only vaguely familiar with, a welcome bit of kinship in the places where my experience overlapped, and a inspirational charge to be unapologetic in who you are and what you want- especially if you come from a marginalized community.

As a white cisgendered heterosexual woman this book was another piece of storytelling I needed to hear in order to continue to gain more awareness about the
Jessica Whittington
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This. Book.
I literally cried at the end reading Elaine’s thank you to the reader (as if she was talking directly to me). I’ve never related more to someone else’s memoir and I’m so grateful to have read this book at this time in my life. All women between 28 & 35 need to read this book and all black women of this generation need to own it.
Gabrielle
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
When announced in the fall that Elaine Welteroth would be publishing a memoir, I immediately had this title on pre-order. We've seen her take over as Teen Vogue's EIC (only the second black woman in Conde Nast's history), as a guest producer on Grownish, and a beloved judge on Bravo's Project Runway. We all know that she is a boss, but down to the core, who is Elaine Welteroth?

For those that truly know me, you know that I can't get through a non-fiction read unless on audio. I truly enjoyed this
Venessa
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book went beyond what I could have imagined. It was excellent! I was hesitant to read it because memoirs aren't my thing and I wondered what could a thirty year old millennial possibly be talking about that would make me want to read her. The answer was alot. Elaine writes with raw emotion about the challenges of being a black girl in this world. She chronicles her life growing up Biracial on the west coast and how she never felt good enough or black enough. Her teen and early college years ...more
Jessica M
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

Elaine Welteroth is a dynamic groundbreaker in media and fashion. In her memoir, More than Enough, she talks about her journey towards being a journalist and rising above the ranks in the world of fashion magazines. At 29, Elaine became the youngest Editor-In-Chief at Teen Vogue, and the second black editor-in-chief of a Conde Nast publication.

At first, I wondered if Elaine had enough of a story for a memoir. The book moves quite slow to begin with and I worried that it

• Let Love Have the Last Word
  • Dapper Dan: Made in Harlem
  • Dressed in Dreams: A Black Girl's Love Letter to the Power of Fashion
  • Red at the Bone
  • The Memo: What Women of Color Need to Know to Secure a Seat at the Table
  • I'm Telling the Truth, but I'm Lying: Essays
  • More Than Pretty: Doing the Soul Work that Uncovers Your True Beauty
  • Where To Begin: A Small Book About Your Power to Create Big Change in Our Crazy World
  • The Water Dancer
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Well-Read Black Girl: Finding Our Stories, Discovering Ourselves
  • The Little Book of Big Lies: A Journey into Inner Fitness
  • Queenie
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • Black Girls Must Die Exhausted
  • Such a Fun Age
  • With the Fire on High
“when the world tells you to shrink, expand.” 12 likes
“When your dreams are bigger than the places you find yourself in, sometimes you need to seek out your own reminders that there is more. And there is always more waiting for you on the other side of fear.” 5 likes