Start by marking “More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)” as Want to Read:
More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)

More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are (No Matter What They Say)

“Elaine gifts us all with a beautifully intimate and powerful retelling of her ever-unfolding journey. In sharing her joys, pitfalls, adventures, self-doubt, and successes, she reminds us that through uncovering and discovering the many facets of ourselves, we are more than enough.”
—Yara Shahidi

“Elaine’s book is a call for young women to find their voice and spark their co
Published June 11th 2019 by Viking

To ask other readers questions about More Than Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than Enough

Rachel Mantas
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I have to say Wow!

This book really put some things into perspective for me. Some which I knew already, being a woman, and the challenges we face everyday in the work place and life and even touch on the #MeToo movement. It also really helped open my eyes to some amazing pieces I wasn't aware of for the Black community. There are so many beautiful inspiring stories in this book, I recommend it to all my friends. It has also helped me, as I am starting up at a new company, to find my voice a
Robin
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Since Elaine is a new judge on Project Runway, I wanted to hear her story, but assumed I would skim through this book just to get the gist of it. I ended up reading every word. Loved it.
Amanda
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Holy shit, go read this book. Welteroth is a formidable talent and her memoir is raw and honest, equal parts confession and advice. Totally inspiring and bad-ass. Ending the first day of the #24in48readathon at 6 hours and 20 minutes, not too shabby!
Cathline
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many quoteable moments in this book. Really inspiring and helpful for people from all walks of life
Casey Frank
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a lovely and lovingly crafted memoir that both took me inside an unfamiliar world with someone I was only vaguely familiar with, a welcome bit of kinship in the places where my experience overlapped, and a inspirational charge to be unapologetic in who you are and what you want- especially if you come from a marginalized community.

As a white cisgendered heterosexual woman this book was another piece of storytelling I needed to hear in order to continue to gain more awareness about the p
Venessa
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book went beyond what I could have imagined. It was excellent! I was hesitant to read it because memoirs aren't my thing and I wondered what could a thirty year old millennial possibly be talking about that would make me want to read her. The answer was alot. Elaine writes with raw emotion about the challenges of being a black girl in this world. She chronicles her life growing up Biracial on the west coast and how she never felt good enough or black enough. Her teen and early college years ...more
De'Osha
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of Elaine Welteroth you will appreciate this book. More proof that she's truly an incredible writer, storyteller and inspiration.
WellReadNegress
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I mean, wow! So beautifully written, so heartfelt, and so freaking real! My favorite memoir this year, thus far. It's definitely going to be on my Best of 2019 reads!
Paige
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

I teared up so many times reading this book. I felt seen through Elaine’s words. I didn’t realize how much I needed to hear I am more than enough and Elaine’s book really inspired me to believe it and keep saying it.
April
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Katie Burke
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love Elaine's writing style and perspective on race, gender, ambition, and courage in the modern workplace-I was a fan of hers before and am an even bigger fan after reading this.
Barbara Evans Dougherty Evans
I was lucky enough to win a copy of this book through a Goodreads book give-a-way. I have struggled my whole life feeling I was not good enough. I have been in counseling for many year and I would highly recommend this book to anyone who struggles with feeling of inadequacy. The book will help you to see that you are 'more' than enough and to not let others make you feel inadequate or insignificant. I give this book a 'five' star rating!
Kibkabe
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is a divine order, a divine flow to our lives. We don't need to have all the answers. But our job is to keep on dreaming and trusting enough to put on foot in front of the other.

"More Than Enough" by Elaine Welteroth is a perfect snapshot of a biracial woman who reached such a historic career pinnacle at a young age and is willing to share her climb on the ladder, knowing based on race and upbringing that her climb is unique.

I found myself finding a lot in common with Elaine. I'm a black
Hannah
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, reviews, memoirs
This book was incredible and every young woman should read it. If you loved Michelle Obama's Becoming you definitely should pick More than Enough up.

Going into this I didn't know anything about Elaine Welteroth or how fashion magazines work at all. However, I loved this so much. This book is about chasing dreams that seem too big, learning to balance career and life, knowing your worth regardless of who comes in and out of your life and being your own advocate.

The only thing that I think detrac
Shagufta
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book by Elaine Welteroth, the former Editor in Chief of Teen Vogue is an incredible read about media, representation, navigating workplace structures that are often confusing and not supportive to women of colour, finding your path, and getting up after setbacks. It is the career book, life story, memoir that I wished I had in university and I am so glad it exists now. It is full of beauty, the importance of relying on God, working hard, and believing that there is more out there and that t ...more
Raven Ross
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“As you continue crafting the life you want, I hope you are reminded that it is the very things you underestimate about yourself that will help you create your own magic”

I take immense comfort whenever I see a woman of color go above expectations for what she loves — especially with the difficulties of battling self worth in predominantly white environments. Elaine truly inspires as she shares her path to becoming a confident Black boss in her craft. She expands on the fact that each generation
Gabrielle
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
When announced in the fall that Elaine Welteroth would be publishing a memoir, I immediately had this title on pre-order. We've seen her take over as Teen Vogue's EIC (only the second black woman in Conde Nast's history), as a guest producer on Grownish, and a beloved judge on Bravo's Project Runway. We all know that she is a boss, but down to the core, who is Elaine Welteroth?

For those that truly know me, you know that I can't get through a non-fiction read unless on audio. I truly enjoyed this
jkbookish
Synopsis: In this part-manifesto, part-memoir, the revolutionary editor who infused social consciousness into the pages of Teen Vogue explores what it means to come into your own – on your own terms. Elaine Welteroth has climbed the ranks of media and fashion, shattering ceilings along the way. In this riveting and timely memoir, the groundbreaking editor unpacks lessons on race, identity, and success through her own journey.

I absolutely loved Elaine’s story and the honesty she shows when talkin
Abbi
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We all come up in a world that is set up to make us feel that we are not enough -- so we strive even harder to earn respect, we put in the overtime, we bend history, and we stretch ourselves very thin to reach and exceed the expectations of the powers that be. We rise to every occasion. We strive for excellence. Because that is what Black women do. We take what we can get, and we make magic happen. We make lemonade."

I started following Elaine Welteroth on Instagram a year or so ago and knowing
Morgan
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book. I have no words and so many words about why I loved this book so much. Elaine Welteroth is truly an inspiration for so many reasons, and getting to read her story in her beautifully written words- I am thankful for the experience. Her rise to Editor-In-Chief of Vogue is extraordinary. She even says in the book that people are often interested in the results and the firsts, but now the hustle it takes to get there. For me as a young black woman professional reading about her ups a ...more
Alan Sanie
Jul 03, 2019 added it
Shelves: epub
"Elaine gifts us all with a beautifully intimate and powerful retelling of her ever-unfolding journey. In sharing her joys, pitfalls, adventures, self-doubt, and successes, she reminds us that through uncovering and discovering the many facets of ourselves, we are more than enough."
—Yara Shahidi

"Elaine's book is a call for young women to find their voice and spark their courage—it's a book I would have loved to discover as a young woman starting my own career."
—Reese Witherspoon
In this part-m
Jamele (BookswithJams)
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It is impossible not to be inspired by Elaine Welteroth, who has accomplished more in her short time on this earth than most will ever have even thought about doing in their lifetime. And she is nowhere near done yet. Her drive, courage, passion, and her compassion are qualities that I look up to, and seek to cultivate in myself. I have always been independent and driven, but have not always had the half courage that she has.

More Than Enough is a timely, much needed book that all women can pick
Hilary
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elaine Welteroth has always been an inspiration to me and, interestingly, my doppelgänger according to my friends, family, and co-workers. Her NYT best-selling book forever changed my already high view of this woman. She is my hero. Her honesty, her integrity, her truths, and her willingness to bring about representation for others, like myself, is more than commendable, it’s utterly inspiring. She made me realize that despite all the pressure perfectionists put on themselves, we are more than e ...more
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent! I am shocked that I was not familiar with Elaine Welteroth prior to reading this, but she is a dynamo. The book follows her life through childhood, college and her first jobs, all the way to being appointed Editor-In-Chief of Teen Vogue. And what a path it was! The opportunities she has had (and has created for herself) are amazing and numerous. Her description of her first encounter with Anna Wintour is very funny. She shares with the reader her various mentors and insp ...more
Duc An Quan
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Being so enamored by the fashion industry and its influencers lately, I had to check out Elaine Welteroth’s book after seeing multiples Instagram influencers (Aimee Song & Eva Chen) recommend it. And what a delightful read it was! Inspiring and thorough! The writing was simple but effective. Seeing all the hard work that Elaine mustered to be able to achieve her dreams gave me a small push to go after my dreams. Seeing all that she was able to achieve at her young age is empowering! A BOSS! ...more
Catherine
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a 57-year-old white woman from New England and I really enjoyed this book. While it is important to read about and understand the experiences of other's who don't match our own -- to start, she is an ambitious go-getter who actively, passionately works toward her goals and claims her space in the cut-throat world of magazine publishing; she also happens to be a black woman of mixed race, younger than my youngest child, raised in California and shaped by experiences I could never imagine -- I ...more
Vena Reed
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Elaine beautifully and intentionally illustrates precisely what an experience of a POC in a professional work space looks like. Not only does she do that, but she also describes the difficulty that comes with navigating relationships and love as a career woman and she does so in a candid way that causes the reader to say, “I feel you. Me too.” I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves memoirs. She provides a lot of wisdom and insight into the development of one’s self-esteem and self-worth ...more
Lauren Celeste Corley
Soulfully Nourishing

Outstanding book! It's a great read for the nourishment of your soul. Very thankful that Elaine Welteroth shared her truth. Many parallels can be drawn to balancing one's professional, personal, and spiritual life. Her testimony illustrates the journey of "trying to have it all figured out" to "letting go and trusting in God's perfect timing". It is a rhythm that I aspire...rather now know that I will catch having read this book.

Thank you again for the inspiration!
Keela
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After enjoying her first season on Project Runway, I looked forward to reading this book and learning more about her story. Just like her feisty and fun personality on the show, her writing draws you in and you want to root for her even more. Would recommend this book to young people who are just starting to find their way and to more seasoned folks like myself who need a reminder that it's never to late to follow your dreams and find your purpose because you're more than enough!
Crystal moore-stambaugh
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have never felt more seen in a book than this. So many of her experiences have been my experiences. So many of her feelings have been my feelings growing up and being a black woman in white spaces. Elaine is truthful and honest without placing blame. She questions the liberal ideals of inclusivity and feminism especially in relation to her time corporate America and with one of the most influential magazines. She is inspiring and this book is certainly worth the read.
« previous 1 3 next »