Start by marking “These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)” as Want to Read:
These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)

These Witches Don't Burn

(These Witches Don't Burn #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  23,730 ratings  ·  4,272 reviews
Hannah's a witch, but not the kind you're thinking of. She's the real deal, an Elemental with the power to control fire, earth, water, and air. But even though she lives in Salem, Massachusetts, her magic is a secret she has to keep to herself. If she's ever caught using it in front of a Reg (read: non-witch), she could lose it. For good. So, Hannah spends most of her time ...more
Published May 28th 2019 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about These Witches Don't Burn, please sign up.
El i have not read them yet but it looks like it has a prequel and a sequel
Sidereal I don't think so. It gives some context to the backstory that gets brought up a couple of times but it's not really necessary and you don't really los…moreI don't think so. It gives some context to the backstory that gets brought up a couple of times but it's not really necessary and you don't really lose anything from not having read it before this one. I personally haven't.(less)

·  23,730 ratings  ·  4,272 reviews

Start your review of These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Uhhhh what? Gay witches?? *queer heavy breathing intensifies*
megs_bookrack
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
**3.5-stars rounded up**

After disturbing remnants of a ritual are found at a celebratory end-of-the-school-year bonfire, Hannah suspects a Blood Witch may be to blame.

As an Elemental Witch herself, Hannah has been raised to fear Blood Witches. This horrific act seems to be a sign that one has come to their small town.

The story alludes to the fact that Hannah had a previous run-in with a Blood Witch on a trip to New York City. This altercation truly frightened her and she feels that this same wi
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
excuse me I need this book immediately since it appears to have sapphic witches oh my god??
may ➹

Is it really Pride month if you don’t read a gay witch book?

These Witches Don’t Burn follows an Elemental witch named Hannah, who lives in Salem, Massachusetts. At first it seems like the hardest thing she’ll have to do that summer is avoid her ex-girlfriend, but her problems become much worse when signs of dark magic pops up around town.

This book is filled with intrigue and mystery, as Hannah and her coven faces more and more danger and are forced to figure out the identity of the pers
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Ehhhhhhhhh. Not terrible but not great.
Sarah Glenn Marsh
I see a lot of folks here saying they're excited for a gay witch book, and let me tell you...THIS STORY DELIVERS!!!

I loved it. I'm already ready for the sequel, but I guess I'll have to wait for 2019 to start bugging the author about the next book ;) Maybe.

From unexpected twists to a dynamic and mostly queer cast of characters, there's so much for everyone to love here. Really, well done.
Amy Imogene Reads
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
These Witches Don't Burn? More like these witches don't bore! (Couldn't resist.)

Concept: ★★★
Relationship dynamics:★★★★
Pacing: ★★★★
Enjoyment: ★★★★★

I absolutely loved reading These Witches Don't Burn. Fun, filled with memorable characters, extreme relationship drama, and so well paced it's basically ready for its movie adaptation, this book is a great LGBT+ contemporary read.

Everyone knows the history of Salem, Massachusetts. People went mad and claimed girls were witches, and they killed them. A
Hilly ♡
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: low-fantasy
Witch-hunt (compound)
Me reading this book and hunting for something other than whiny flat characters who say they can do magic but can’t use their brains for shit.

I want to go back in time and scold my past self for not keeping notes while reading this book because it's been only a week but I already forgot big chunks of what happened. I guess this is indicative of how much I didn't care for this book.

Chapter one starts like a bomb. It dips you completely in the story with two sentences and it
Jessi ❤️ H. Vojsk [if villain, why hot?]
Gay witches? Hell yeah! 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈 🏳️‍🌈

When I started this book I was so freaking excited. I read about Elementals, Casters and Blood witches and I was like yeeeeeeees I want to be part of a clan, of a coven.

And a gay main character who loves girls, has problems with her ex-girlfriend and a terrible secret.

And it wasn’t in this utopia world were the lgbt community was absolutely normal.
No, but it was still a better world. And I really liked it. We saw that her parents, her coven, her friends
ellie
wow this stole my heart. i love my gay witches 🥺
Larry H
3.5 stars.

It’s not easy being a witch these days. That's what I picked up from Isabel Sterling's These Witches Don't Burn , at least.

Being a witch in Salem, Massachusetts may seem like a clichè, but that’s Hannah’s life. As an Elemental witch, she has the power to control fire, water, earth, and air, but she’s forbidden to let any non-witch see her magic. So instead, she spends her time trying to avoid her ex-girlfriend, Veronica (who is also an Elemental), and working at the Fly by Night Cau
❦ jazmin

⇢The Plot
I think that unfortunately, my expectations for this book had just been a bit too high. I read the blurb and saw a few people recommend it and I got way too excited way too quickly, so I was let down by various parts of the book. Was it a bad book? Definitely not. Just not what I had been looking for.

First of all, the pr
Reading_ Tamishly
Oct 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The first page itself made me DNF this book. Yes, I tried reading the second and third page too. It made my DNF page resolve stronger! The characters are so 'Mean Girls' wannabe and the dialogues are so superficial that I had to stop reading this one. ...more
caitlin ✶
Edit: I’m disappointing everyone by saying this, but looking back, this was just a bland 3 stars. Nothing wrong with it, & there were stuff to appreciate, but I have zero desire to pick up the sequel, & I think that’s really telling.

If they had any clue what real witches were like, what we’re capable of . . .

They probably wouldn’t sleep very well at night.

When I heard that These Witches Don't Burn was a new release featuring gay witches, I was ine

Jessica
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been devouring adult paranormal romances, but I haven't really been reading any YA paranormal books. When I saw the cover of this one and saw it was about teen witches, I knew I had to pick it up!

Hannah is still hurt over how things ended between her and her ex, but when strange things start happening and signs of a blood witch are popping up, Hannah knows they have more serious problems. As an elemental witch, Hannah has to make sure to hide her own powers while trying to figure out if
Roxie Voorhees
I love witches! I love gays! I hate this book.

1. My first issue is Hannah constantly reminding us that Veronica is her ex. "My ex" is a phrase that doesnt need repeating.

2. Interactions between characters seem forced. Dialogue is weak.

3. *spoiler* of course the witch hunter is male! Because that isn't overdone 🙄 There was a real chance for the author to tackle toxic masculinity here and it just didnt happen.

4. I'm sure there is more, but I am going to go watch Motherland so I can erase this
Lisa Kuhn
This book is a mess. The plot and characters are shallow and not at all believable.
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Not gonna lie, I'm having a hard time writing down some thoughts on this book because I am so overwhelmed with the ending as it featured one of my biggest triggers.
Overall this was really enjoyable read but I expected this to be really fun and it just really wasn't. That is not to say that the book was bad. Not at all. I actually that it is subjectively a pretty great book. It was really action-packed, I loved the magic system and the different kinds of witches.

But here's the thing.. this hit a
thi
2.75/5
- I’ve got perhaps a weird complaint
- The cover does not match the story at all
- listen this tangent is worthwhile
- Books are expensive it’s up to marketing and the synopsis among other factors but to me perhaps the most important is the cover to be eye catching to the right demographic and best represent what kind of story is being sold here
- I’ve never felt so strongly about a misleading cover that screams sort of cute romance unlikely rag tag team when really it’s a supernatural myste
rachel ☾
#2) This Coven Won't Break ★★★★★

Trigger warnings for (view spoiler)
Iris

Ooooh this was very fun, and then it took a really dark turn, and fkjhhjgjk I literally binged it in a single sitting and didn't even stop to come upstairs and make it as currently reading which SAYS SOMTHING.

This was a lot of fun, but also ultimately pretty unmemorable
tappkalina
Was fun. Liked it!
maddi
Jan 07, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
is this for the gays??
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I LOVED this. The cast and plot and setting and mystery was just what I wanted. Nothing was too much but I also didn't feel like I was missing context or information. That's pretty mind blowing to me since this is a debut and by no means a long book.

Right off the bat, let's acknowledge the queer rep. We have an out lesbian main character, her ex-girlfriend (who I don't remember how she identified but is only in F/F romances in this book), a key side character is bisexual (own voices) who enters
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jan 12, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
As Janet from The Good Place once said:
"Look Michael, a witch.... Burn her!

why did i bring this up... idk

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Sabi
This was a really good book. Perfect for Young Adults.

Things I liked:

⭐The representation.

⭐The twist towards the end.

The ending. It ends on a nice touch. And makes you get to the sequel soon as well.

⭐The writing. Not overly dramatic. Witchy books tend to become those. But, this one wasn't overdone.

The mood that it sets for the month of October. An amazing Halloween read.
Jade Melody
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This was it. This was the book. It officially pulled me out of my slump. It was also an incredible read for the current season (spooky season) and had aspects that I enjoyed a lot.

I've been in a slump for what seems like an eternity, so it's refreshing to fly through a book I'm interested in and still have motivation to pick up something else.

I love witches and wizards and everything under the umbrella, so this was to my liking. I enjoyed the setting of Salem because of the w
Diana
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vid review available January, 1st, 2020 here: https://youtu.be/n2suL_B17z0 ...more
kory.
I didn't know this book was going to have an abusive ex-girlfriend who is a central character that I don't think I'm supposed to hate or that the entire conflict is a supernatural vs hunter thing, which is a plot I'm so tired of. I might not have read it if I had known. I also didn't pay enough attention to realize that this is the first in a series, which is made very clear by the unresolved nature of the ending. So yeah, not really my jam.

Content/trigger warnings for ableism, ableist slurs, bl
Laianna
I bought into the hype for this book way too hard. Lesbian witches?? The adorable cover and snappy title? It takes place in Salem?Could this be any more me? I preordered my copy and eagerly awaited its arrival on release date.

After reading These Witches Don’t Burn in one sitting, desperately hoping it would redeem itself as I frantically flipped pages, I’m disappointed. I wanted to like this book, but I just didn’t. The story was there - a young lesbian witch navigates past and present relations

• Angst with happy ending
  • Żółte ślepia
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Hurt/Comfort
  • One Last Stop
  • She Drives Me Crazy
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • Opowiem o tobie gwiazdom
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Four (Heartstopper #4)
  • Perfect on Paper
  • Felix Ever After
  • Hani and Ishu's Guide to Fake Dating
  • Some Girls Do
  • Written in the Stars (Written in the Stars, #1)
  • The Henna Wars
See top shelves…
Isabel Sterling is a writing coach, LGBTQ advocate, and author of These Witches Don’t Burn, This Coven Won’t Break, and the forthcoming f/f vampire novel The Coldest Touch. When she’s not writing, Isabel can be found crocheting projects she’ll never finish, completing crosswords with her wife, and trying not to destroy her garden. She lives in Central New York, where the winters are frigid, the su ...more

These Witches Don't Burn (2 books)
  • This Coven Won't Break (These Witches Don't Burn, #2)

Articles featuring this book

While we usually think of fall and Halloween as the time for spooky books, witchy teens are undeniably having a major moment right now. No fewer...
“She'll never understand. The realization washes all the fight out of me, leaving behind only heartache. I gently pull my wrist from her grip. "Because," I say, my voice so soft it's nearly swallowed up by the trees, "I'm standing here, telling you how much you hurt me, and you can't hear it." Tears fill my eyes. I've lost the strength to hide them. "You broke my heart, and you didn't even notice. How can I ..." My throat closes up, I look away. "How could I ever trust you to put the pieces back together?” 24 likes
“I’m standing here, telling you how much you hurt me, and you can’t hear it.” 16 likes