Start by marking “Stop! Bot!” as Want to Read:
Stop! Bot!

Stop! Bot!

In this picture book mystery, a little boy out for a walk with his family stops to show a building doorman his new "bot": "I have a bot!" Only he doesn't have it for long, because it floats up out of his hands like an escaped balloon. "Stop! Bot!" Springing to action, the kind doorman runs up to each floor of the building to try and catch it -- along with the help of each ...more
Published July 23rd 2019 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Stop! Bot!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop! Bot!

Start your review of Stop! Bot!
La Coccinelle
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
"Rear Window meets Wes Anderson meets Richard Scarry"? Um... okay. I'm sure that's what every parent is looking for in their children's picture books.

This is a very simple concept book that I've actually seen done better before... a long time ago. In this iteration, a boy loses his "bot" (it's really more of a drone) as it flies upward next to a skyscraper. As the doorman goes chasing upward, various residents of the building are shown trying to help. Most of the "help" is rather ridiculous
Jon Nakapalau
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
STOP THAT BOT! Great art!
Austin
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The formatting of this book is the most creative I've seen in a long time. It's oriented so that each full-page spread displays a few stories of a skyscraper. When you flip the page, the horizontal orientation stays exactly the same, but the vertical moves up to the next story. You see the city skyline shrink and change, and you see new things added into the sky and through different apartment windows. It's really cool. The premise itself is silly and funny. I loved it.
Savannah Cone
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Summary: A child loses control of a flying bot and a diverse group of apartment residents try to stop it. It floats all the way to the top of the building as the tenants try creative and funny strategies to stop the bot to no avail. The bot finally reaches the top and there is an ingenious rescue.

Genre: Picture Book (Young Readers). Awards: Geisel Award. Audience: 4-5.

A. This is an Easy-to-Read book because the sentences are short and easy to read as they are in big, white letters in black
Shaye Miller
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Awww. A young child is so excited to have a bot. But then his bot floats up and gets stuck in what appears to be a large apartment building. Everyone has a plan for getting the bot back down, but ultimately it's a simple trick of distractions. There's a funny little surprise ending, too! The cheery, colorful illustrations are bright and inviting, however, I could not find out how they were created.

For more children's literature, middle grade literature, and YA literature reviews, feel free to
Becky
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun, primary picture book. My grandkids loved the picture clues though out the story and begged me to read it again. I really enjoyed this book!
Cecilia
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
How did some of those things fit in those apartments? A silly book.
Jana
Those that enjoy playing with drones might appreciate this funny story of a Bot that flies out of control. A little boy stops to show his Bot to the doorman of an apartment building, but then loses control and the Bot gets away. The doorman and all the tenants in each of the windows of the tall building do their best to get ahold of it, until there's a bit of a surprise ending. The humorous illustrations and the awesome characters will make this a favorite on the bookshelf.
Rebekah Hayes
Stop! Bot!-- 2019 (Geisel Award 2020 winner)

This picture book is the story of a boy who has a drone-like toy that gets away from him and flies straight into the sky past an apartment building. The doorman tries to catch up with the bot as the residents try various methods to catch it. Because many people in the building offer assistance in catching the bot, this book provides an opportunity to discuss the values of helping others and coming together as a community. At the top of the building, it
Halie Korff
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Melissa Mcavoy
This is a beautiful book, with stylish, graphically strong illustrations and an appealing concept - a child loses hold of his bot which floats upwards just outside the windows of a skyscraper as a dedicated doorman pursues it and interested neighbors attempt to help with whatever idiosyncratic elements come to hand (trombones, carnivorous plants, a giraffe). But as handsome as the illustrations are and even despite the tall narrow design of the book, somehow the story doesnt gel visually or ...more
Jaime King
I really enjoyed this book because it showed a sense of community between an entire apartment building. The little boy loses his bot, so everyone in the apartment building teams up together to try and find it for the little boy. This could teach young readers that helping others is important. The doorman in this book tries his very best to help the little boy. He even exchanges bananas for the bot to a gorilla. This shows that there are still good people out in the world that are willing to ...more
Lisa
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
On the sidewalk in front of a tall building, a little boys bot is rising up the building, seemingly out of control. As it passes the various floors the residents all try different things to try to catch it.

Graphic novel style dialogue makes this early reader engaging and fun. The illustrations are colorful and whimsical, and the shape of the book, tall and skinny, gives the reader great perspective. I loved the woman with the huge bouffant hairdo and the doorman chasing the thing is delightful.
Connie T.
A boy's bot gets away from him and the doorman dashes up the stairs, higher and higher, in an effort to retrieve it. Nothing works until the bot is captured by a King Kong type gorilla on the roof and the doorman makes a trade of a bunch of bananas for the bot.

This is a quirky story with limited text, all of which is presented in speech bubbles. The art is stylized, with the characters' heads looking like they are about to fall off. I wonder how many emerging readers will get the King Kong
Maura
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: hugh-read
A Geisel award winner of 2020, this book didn't do much for me...but my 6 year old laughed out loud on nearly every page! I literally stopped a few times and asked, "What is funny? I totally don't get it!" And he just laughed and said, "It's just funny!"

He didn't get the King Kong reference at all, of course. And I don't think he'll ask to re-read it. But he legitimately cracked up on nearly every page! Kudos to Yang for tapping in to that secret kid humor that I've clearly grown out of!
Donna Snyder
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
A pretty illustrated book with silly simplistic dialog is about a boy losing control of his bot. The bot flies straight up a skyscraper, and neighbors on various floors attempt different methods to catch the bot. A reading child would be done with this book in one or two readings. Reading to a child would be better as an adult can explore with the child the actions on each page. I think the King Kong nuance would be lost on kids today.
Rebecca
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
"Rear Window meets Wes Anderson meets Richard Scarry in this fun picture book follow-up to Bus! Stop!"

This book has nothing like Rear Window or Wes Anderson in it. As a huge fan of both, I'm surprised this book is described this way.

I rated this with 3 stars from a story time perspective. I do think kids would enjoy reading this themselves or with a parent.
Kelly
This is a great book and makes sense that they did it in a tall format. There are a lot of connected pieces all the way back to the cover. I like the oversize-ness of the characters and their things like the glove or the hair. The bot changing faces is fun. And it's a great simple book of words but with a lot of interesting things going on in the illustrations.
Tina Hoggatt
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the tall, narrow format of this book, a shape that echoes the setting - a skyscraper filled with apartments and their problem-solving residents, and the bright, inventive simplicity of the author's illustrations. Add to that a runaway bot and you have a story in motion. Clever twist ending gets extra points for employing unexpected bananas. A win!
Erin
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Beautiful art but theres no story here. The young boy who owns the bot is painted as the protagonist but he doesnt do anything to retrieve the runaway bot. We hear all the time about the importance of agency in books, so its odd to see an entirely passive protagonist. ...more
Nancy Snyder
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
A little boy is so concerned when his "bot" floats away from him. But he's not a lone as a doorman and neighbors living in a tall building try to help. The illustrations add to the fun as the rescue of the "bot" is unexpected.
Sandy Brehl
An award-winning early-access picture book that will hit just the right note with emerging readers who have enough meat in the words and images to dive deeply and engage in conversation about the story.
Nice hint at the end that some of these characters might return in future books.
Gabrielle Stoller
Um, I hated this book. I just didn't get it! It was so dumb. I mean, bananas played a huge part but that is all I got

However, I think it is excellent for beginnings readers. Very few words and there are many sight words. So for that reason, I would direct people to it
Amanda
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
James Yang's beginning reader appropriate vocabulary pairs with a whimsical trim size and retro illustration as the main character's very modern problem of an escaping drone leads readers up a skyscraper and through increasingly imaginative attempts to apprehend the escaping bot.
Lupe
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This book was okay but I didn't enjoy it as much as "Bus! Stop!" I loved "Bus! Stop!" It's hard to follow that one.
Patricia
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read for Librarian Book Group

A vertical story of a bot that floats up the face of a tall building. As it floats, people try to stop it. There are many details to follow from page to page.
Kelly
Fun book to meander through.
Marcie
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Can see kids may like this language may also make it a bginning reader.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun follow-up to Bus! Stop!
Michele Knott
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute, but not my favorite Geisel winner.

• Chick and Brain: Smell My Foot!
  • Bear Came Along
  • Double Bass Blues
  • The Book Hog
  • Dancing Hands: How Teresa Carreño Played the Piano for President Lincoln
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • Hey, Water!
  • Flubby Is Not a Good Pet!
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story