Start by marking “Baby Dragon” as Want to Read:
Baby Dragon

Baby Dragon

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Amy Ehrlich spins a resonant tale of separation anxiety, pluck, and reassurance, aided by Will Hillenbrand's charming, lush illustrations.

Baby Dragon knows he must wait for his mother by the red fern. He knows she'll be back by morning. So he counts his claws, draws in the sand, takes a nap, and otherwise bides his time, never budging even when friends coax him to run off
Published August 12th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Baby Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Dragon

Kathryn
Feb 26, 2010 rated it liked it
The illustrations by Will Hillenbrand are super adorable and I'll be on the look-out for more from this illustrator. However, the story is lackluster and, more than that, could be a quite scary for kids as the mother dragon has to leave her baby all alone (beside a fern) on the banks of a river all night long while she goes to help the ailing grandma. I think the point is that children should trust that their parents will "always come back" but, gosh, that poor, scared baby dragon out there all ...more
Beverly
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks, dragons
Good story about a baby dragon's resourcefulness, but I couldn't help but wonder: why on earth didn't the mother dragon just take the baby with her? Very cute illustrations done with ink, colored pencil, finger paint, collage and gouache on vellum.
Rachel
Aug 24, 2017 added it
Read to Lucas
Jessi
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Cute concept, but kind of boring. The dragon didn't really seem like a mythological character, but just any normal animal. If we read a dragon book, we expect fire breathing or flying. Just fell a bit flat for me and my little ones.
Kaethe
The KitKat liked it okay, but I wasn't impressed. What kind of dragon goes off and leaves a baby all by itself for a whole night? That's just wrong. Let's see some adult supervision, please. And where was the dragon baby daddy, hmm?
Michelle
Oct 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
The mother just leaves the child for a whole day and night by himself with nothing to do?! Terrible parenting!
Jackie O'Neil
This is an awful book!!!Books are supposed to be educational, entertaining and/or leaves us a positive advice or consequence to learn from.
This is why I dislike this book a lot:
1. So, a mother dragon leaves her baby dragon to visit her sick mother. WHY COULDN'T SHE TAKE HER BABY DRAGON TO ALSO VISIT HER SICK GRANDMOTHER?
2. "I'll be back by morning, wait for me by this red fern", mother dragon said.
3. Baby dragon waited, and waited and got tired waiting...OF COURSE, HE GOT TIRED WAITING, HE IS A
Susan
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books-jp
Dragon mom leaves the baby dragon all night long, a notion I am not a big fan of in literature or in real life , but in the publishing world apparently this is not just okay, it is the correct way to teach children about separation anxiety. Like another picture book (about a boat) that I didn't care for and other reviewers loved, this one also carries the flag for anxiety and peril. Baby dragon is left on the banks of what must be the least safest river going - weasels and gators waiting for a s ...more
Anayssa Pulido
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This story was about a baby dragon who must wait for his mother by the red fern while she goes to see his grandmother. She promised she would be back by the morning. He passes the time counting his claws, drawing pictures in the dirt, taking naps, and catching mosquitoes. While he waits, he encounters distractions such as frog telling him to go play, Weasel telling him to go find ripe bananas to eat, and crocodile telling him that he would help him find his mom. Baby dragon decides to stay put a ...more
Dione Basseri
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A book about trust, following directions, and anxiety. Baby Dragon must stay behind as his mother goes to visit a sick family member. He must stay by the red fern until sunrise. But, as time passes, he begins to worry about where she's gone and an idea begins to form: should he go...find mother?

Overall, this is a cute book, but I was a bit put off by the baby dragon being left alone for a full day and night. Yes, they're animals (or mythical creatures, yes), but it feels like an unsettling messa
The Styling Librarian
Baby Dragon by Amy Ehrlich, illustrated by Will Hillenbrand – I was clued in on this book when my lovely friend Tanja pulled it out and said “This is MY book I LOVE sharing when I talk about acting principled with children…” I thought, new book to buy, check!” This is a precious little story about a baby dragon who is left by his mom and told, wait here for me, I’ll be back in the morning. How many of you could stay in one place all night? This little dragon’s choices, actions, and adventures we ...more
Kristen
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books, dragons
This was such a cute book. The baby dragon was just so cute! And it has a great lesson for kids about staying put if you are separated from your parents somewhere. I will definitely pick this one up again and have a short conversation about that safety when we my daughter is a little older to understand. I enjoyed the pictures also. It was a really good book and told in a fun way for kids...especially kids who enjoy dragons.
Molly
Grandma Dragon is sick, and Mommy Dragon must go tend to her. Baby Dragon is told to wait in one spot until Mommy comes back. He waits, and waits, but finally misses Mommy so much he goes off to find her. All ends happily, however, as Mommy and Baby are reunited. - I agree, however, that the all night separation is a bit scary. But, like another reviewer mentioned, maybe this would be nice for a child who's mother has to work at night.
Greta
Mar 18, 2009 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Scary for a kid. Who goes off and leaves a baby all alone and tells it to wait, I'll be home in the morning? The baby dragon gets worried, almost gets eaten by a crocodile and then gets lost. Too scary.
Maggie
Sep 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
A cute book about a baby dragon who has to wait a whole day by himself for his mom. And the adventures that ensue because he is just a kid....
Leigh
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Dragon must remain near the red fern so his mother can find him, but does he have the patience to wait?
Mandi Murphy
the author asks me to suspend disbelief just a little too much here. Seriously? Wait for me by this red fern and I'll be back by morning? That said, my six year old really liked it.
Sara Lemonade
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I guess in dragon-world, it's okay to leave your kid outside alone for an entire day while you go away on an errand. We couldn't identify.
Samantha Penrose
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute illustrations.
This would be a meaningful book to a child whose mother works the night shift....
Chelsey
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Rated 4 stars mostly because the baby dragon is so adorable, and I liked how he starts the story resisting temptation. Too long for storytime.
Kimberly
We just love this story. Sweet illustrations and fantastic story with a moral to remember. We really enjoyed this lovely book.
Brittany
Sep 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This story had a very good subtle message about doing what you're told, waiting where you should.
Tricia
Oct 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
this book freaked me out. separation anxiety kicked in. why on earth does the mom leave the dragon all alone? whimper.
Aspasia
Jan 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-aidan
Baby Dragon learns the hard way that he should always listen to his mother.
Lacey
Very cute picture book that my husband read to our daughter for bed time. The illustrations are very well done and the story is well thought out.
Vivian
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
There's plenty of dramatic tension for little ones in this story about a mother dragon instructing her baby to wait for her in a particular spot while she runs an errand.
Amy
Jan 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the illustrations, but why would a mother leave her child alone all day and night?
Zack
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Cute pictures, but that is about it. Story is blah.
Gabby
May 22, 2016
Cindy
Jan 05, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Amy Ehrlich is the author of more than thirty books for young readers and is also a winner of The Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award for her novel Joyride, which was also chosen Booklist Choice Best Book of the Decade. She lives on a farm in Northern Vermont with her husband and a great many domestic and agricultural animals.
More about Amy Ehrlich...