Start by marking “The Robot and the Bluebird” as Want to Read:
The Robot and the Bluebird

The Robot and the Bluebird

"Let me carry you," said the Robot.

"I'll carry you in my heart, and shelter you from the cold and storms."

High atop a pile of rubbish sits a lonely Robot with a broken heart. Then one winter's day, a Bluebird appears, fighting against the freezing wind. When the Robot offers her a home in the empty space where his heart used to be, neither of them can predict what astoni
Published October 28th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Robot and the Bluebird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Robot and the Bluebird

Start your review of The Robot and the Bluebird
Betsy
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It took a second or third reading of this to truly get to me, but once I fell in love with this title I fell hard. A very simple, very lovely tale. Lucas is one of those guys with pictures too subtlely beautiful to ever garner the attention he deserves.
babyhippoface
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very sweet, and I think, sad story. Broken-hearted Robot finds a new sense of purpose when he finds Bluebird in need. This one should be discussed, not just read: Why did Robot do what he did? Did he "die" happy? (Did he die at all?) Why do people need a sense of purpose? Is it more important to make ourselves happy or help others?

You can see how it could be very philosophical, but it doesn't have to. And it depends on the age of the kids involved in the discussion. I think this could be used
Sophie
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very lovely story
Anna Nesterovich
Jul 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I certainly didn't like this book. The story is sweet and sad and can teach kids some good things, but it awkwardly worded and even more awkwardly illustrated, to the point when a kid tells a completely different story, based on the illustrations, that has very little in common with what is written. Still, we kept reading it from time to time, because my kid likes it. Maybe it's because of his current fascination with robots and droids.
Lucius
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A very simple story with a profound message. The metaphors within this book are numerous and none of them are forced. I would read this book with any child between the ages of one and ten and I think they would find the beauty in the text. In my opinion, this is one of the best picture books to be published in many years.
Boni
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book. It is a lovely story, the illustrations and design are stunning and the simple spareness of it will stay with you long afterward. Lucas keeps getting better and better.
Kerrie Dunn-Christensen
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Beautiful illustrations and a lovely story. Lots of opportunities to use for cross curricular planning (seasons, friendship, values, art)
Mathew
What do we do with Tin Men who have no heart? Well, we kindly show them that no matter whether the organ is there or not, this is not where kindness and love truly reside. As with Baum’s Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz, Lucas presents us with a Robot without a heart (it starts off broken) and he is left to rust because of it. On a huge scrapheap he remains open to the elements, gradually loses his sheen and rusts. It is only when a bluebird, tired from journeying, takes harbour in the space with h ...more
Becky Sparkes
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing picture book.
This book is very emotional but has so many learning opportunities.
Lots of drama can come out of this book, thinking about how the robot feels and creating freeze frames of certain points in the story and saying how a character might feel.
This book also links to the seasons as there is a point in the book where the robot is sat on the scrap heap for a whole year through all the seasons. This provides lots of discussion about how he might feel each on season and the childr
Ina
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming tale of a robot, with a broken heart, who finds a purpose again,when he meets a small, tired bluebird. The bluebird was late flying south and finds warmth the robot's empty chest cavity. The relationship between the bluebird and the robot is a beautiful thing. The illustrations are bright and colorful and the text full of hope, second chances, and love.
Amanda
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet book.

My daughter had me reread it to her before we took it back to the library. Love it when she latches onto a book.
Megan McCloud
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Kind of depressing.
Bonnie Tesch
Pretty, morbid, and very reminiscent of Oscar Wilde's "The Happy Prince."
Jenn
I cried the first time I read this book. And my sister cried reading it for the first time too. It's a beautiful kid's book.
Holly
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tender book about meaning in life, sacrifice and friendship. Highly recommended.
Stefanie Delinois
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though this book makes me sad, it is a good story. Spoiler alert- the robot give his life for the bird. This story provides a great opportunity to talk to kids about the Gospel.
Alice Mundy
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A picture book to spark discussion on what does it mean to open your heart of close if off? And sacrifice yourself for love.
Joseph R.
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, read-2012
We got this book through the library because we asked the librarian for any robot-themed children's books they might have. Jacob loves robots and can watch endless streams of video on the Internet. Reading stories is also fun. This story is not exactly fun, but is very warm and touching. A robot is ejected from a factory because his heart is broken. He spends a long time on a rubbish heap. In the winter, a bluebird struggles through a storm and seeks shelter. The robot takes out his defective he ...more
Gabrielle Blockton
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Date: October 7th, 2014

Author: David Lucas

Title: The Robot and the Bluebird

Plot: In this story, the robot has a broken heart and sent to reside with the scraps of old machines. Day and night he is alone, until a bluebird on their way to a warmer climate lands on his shoulder. The robot and bluebird create a bond that will change both of their lives forever.

Setting: The robot junkyard, nature

Characters: The Robot and the Bluebird

Point-o
Marc
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an emotionally involving tale which merges autobiographical meditations with stylishly subtle writing techniques to create an excellent story for children (and adults).
The themes Lucas has chosen are lofty, touching and rewarding for the reader, themes of a sense of meaninglessness before a revelation of the heart, leading to actions of self scarifice and love, all of which are tied together nicely throughout and in the end of the tale.
The authors characterisation is impressive a
Hye Eun
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: friendship
This book is kind of gloomy but happy and deep. The robot doesn't have a heart but gives a shelter to a bluebird. The robot at the beginning just sat there heartless but once bluebird came into his heart, robot felt much better and loved. When the bluebird has to leave, the robot offers to take the bird and protect the bird from the cold and snow. They make it to the warm side but robot runs out of strength and stands still, giving homes to many other birds as well. I don't know if robot died at ...more
Rebecca Ann
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Is it just me, or do most robot stories end badly for the robot? This was a beautiful book but had a sad ending. A robot with a broken heart is waiting in the scrap pile when a half-frozen bluebird takes shelter in his chest. They become friends and the robot carries the migrating bird to safer weather and then the bird builds its home in the robot who seems to pass on. It reminds me of The Giving Tree. It may upset sensitive children . . .like me lol. Know your audience. A good read for K-2nd grade.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A peculiar little story, with unusual characters. It had a lot of potential but somehow never had the impact I expected it to have in the end. I suppose one could sum it up by saying it was a story about friendship and sacrificing oneself for one's friends. Nevertheless it had its poetic moments, especially when describing how the bluebird became like the robot's missing heart. I enjoyed the illustrations very much, and would like to see more from this illustrator. An odd book, but recommended.
Milo
Jan 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Milo by: From the library
"It was so great. I loved the bluebird. She was awesome. She had a home inside where the robot's heart used to be. I loved the ending because all the birds came and landed on the robot. It was like a hollow tree for them. And it was kinda like a tree, except it was a robot. The robot is alive. I did not like that they sent him to the scrap pile. It was where all the junk and stuff went. He was rusting, but he was still alive. That was sad. Kids all should read it, all of the time."
Cassie
May 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
From my first look at the cover of the book, I thought "tin man" from the Wizard of Oz. I don't know if it's my mood or what, but the message in this book seems too blatant and "in your face". I love the illustrations, and the whole idea of the bird giving life to this robot who is missing his heart, but couldn't more be left up to personal interpretation?
Tara
Nov 12, 2008 rated it liked it
The robot has a broken heart and has been sent to live on the trash heap. Then one day an almost frozen bluebird happens by on her way south and they become friends. The robot lets the bird live in his chest where she can stay warm and the robot feels each flutter of the bird as the beat of his own heart. The end is a little weird and sad, but overall, how could you not love a book with robots?
Kelli Bratten
The first time I read this book I knew I would be reading this book to my own children at home and in the classroom. A symbolic of story of how someone can become your friend and live in your heart and really make a difference. Lovely story.
Friend of Pixie (F.O.P.)
Why: I've heard this is a beautifully-written story and I want to keep it on the to-read list for later. I think it's a bit too sad for Logan now, but it might be just the thing when we suffer a loss. Someone said "it's the new The Giving Tree." I'll read it myself first.
Amy
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
The Robot and the Bluebird is another book that I liked more than the kids did. They liked the story, but you know, so much of the sentiment was lost on them. This is just a very soulful, sweet story, and the illustrations were kind of, I don't know, steampunk-ish, perhaps?
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, children-s, picture
A discarded robot offers a home to a cold bluebird. He finds his own value and worth, along with a new heart, by helping the bird migrate to a warm home. A sweet and touching story that students in Kindergarten and first grade will easily understand.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dig
  • Black Butterfly
  • Resurrection Girls
  • Everything She Ever Wanted
David Lucas has written and illustrated several books for children and was named a Booktrust Best New Illustrator. He lives in London.