Start by marking “Archimancy (Shadow School #1)” as Want to Read:
Archimancy (Shadow School #1)

Archimancy

(Shadow School #1)

The first book in a middle grade series that introduces three friends and their quest to unravel the secrets of Shadow School, a strange middle school in New Hampshire, from the acclaimed author of Nightbooks and the Thickety series, J. A. White. Perfect for fans of Stranger Things, Neil Gaiman, and Adam Gidwitz.

Cordelia Liu knew Shadow School was going to be different. Bl
Expected publication: August 27th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Archimancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Archimancy

Carina Olsen
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-i-want
I have been a fan of this author for many years now. I loved his first fantasy series beyond words. And will always read his new books. I was a little nervous about this new one, as I'm more of a fantasy person, and do not read many books set in present time. Yet I was excited too. And ended up liking it a bunch. Four stars.

Archimancy was a quick and fun read. I had a small issue getting into it at the beginning, but that did not last long, and I ended up enjoying everything a whole lot. While I
Chayse Sundt
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to Come!
Pop Bop
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
A Thoughtful and Engaging Ghost-Adventure Story

The genius underlying J.A. White's books is that he establishes a scary premise, puts a smart and resourceful hero in the middle of it, and then allows that hero or heroine to think, reason, and act bravely and creatively in order to overcome the threat. In the "Thickety" series our heroine must enter and subdue the dark woods and the witchcraft within. "In "Nightbooks" the hero is tricked into a witch's lair and has to plot his way out.

In this book
Ms. Yingling
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Cordelia Liu moves from California to the Northeast because her father has lost his job. She enrolls in the local school only to find out that it is a quirky building that is haunted! She does meet a friend, Agnes, but when the ghost sightings start piling up, she also gets to know Benji. Benji was a popular kid and great soccer player until he started to hide behind his hoodie and earbuds. Cordelia suspects he can also see the ghosts, and she's right. He
Ollie
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
hallie bertling
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
i love j.a. white's books!

he has such a way with witty kid dialogue and funny banter-- and always has the right balance of adventure and danger and mystery. and of course a healthy dose of the supernatural.

i won an ARC of shadow school: archimancy on instagram, and am really grateful to katherine tegen books & harper collins for letting me read it early!!

i loved the premise of only-child cordelia being thrown into a new school. (being an only child & a navy brat myself, boy do i know wha
Jennifer Hill
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cordelia's family has to move all the way from California to Vermont. Her new school looks like a haunted house: black iron gates, freaky paintings, weird hallways that don't make sense. As she is hiding out in the gym, she hears someone crying under the bleachers, it's a little boy. But as she tries to help him, she realizes he is a ghost! Then she finds out another student, Benji, can see ghosts too. They begin to realize the ghosts are trapped and they can set them free if they can figure out ...more
Angie
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free advanced reader’s copy from ... I think it was Edelweiss? 🤔🤨 But I would have looked for this either way because I super enjoyed The Thickety.
Spooky! Best for strong 4th grade and up. I believe this releases in August? The problem with getting early access is you have to wait that much longer for the next one! 🤪
Pat Brown
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won an Advance Reader's Edition through goodreads. I really enjoyed this middle grade novel. It was creepy without being overly scary. The characters were well-developed and a twist at the end required a tissue! Since the spine says Book One, I'm assuming there will be more books which I look forward to.
Saruuh Kelsey
I really enjoyed Archimancy. It was fun, full of mystery, ghosts, and the ups and downs of friendship, and it was just what I needed! Plus the major plot twist stunned me (I totally thought that teacher was a bad guy - well played, book.)
mindy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Honestly, what a cute story. I enjoyed the characters and the whole idea of it. Parts were slightly slow and the MC was sort of a brat at first, but overall this was a fun read.

It’s not out until ... August? So I don’t want to give away anything
Cathleen
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My kids and I are big fans of "Nightbooks", we look forward to the opportunity to review "Archimancy".
Story Eater
Michelle
Nov 17, 2018
BookLoversLife
Nov 18, 2018
J. A. White lives in New Jersey with his wife, three sons, and a hamster named Ophelia that doesn’t like him very much. When he’s not making up stories, he teaches a bunch of kids how to make up stories (along with math and science and other important stuff). He wishes dragons were real because it would be a much cooler way to get to work.