Start by marking “Sagmeister: Made You Look” as Want to Read:
Sagmeister: Made You Look

Sagmeister: Made You Look

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  821 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Another self-indulgent design monograph (practically everything we have ever designed including the bad stuff) is Stefan Sagmeister's hand-scrawled subtitle for the first book about his work, Made You Look. This, and the book's clear red case and silver-gilded pages, seem contrary to the raw, handwritten style he is known for, already setting us up for a wild and very pers ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Thames & Hudson

To ask other readers questions about Sagmeister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sagmeister

Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Stefan Sagmeister is just brilliant. I could lavish praise upon his work for the entirety of this review, or go ahead and give you a couple of examples of the sort of thing you'll find in this book, which ranges from the many tricks in the physical presentation of the book (all of which will evoke some child like wonder in you), touching journal observations scanned in from his own messy handwriting, hilarious stories (related and otherwise...but always relevant), beautiful work, personal quotes ...more
Alexander Charchar
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-design
There was a telling moment. In an extract from his journal (snippets of which are about a third of the total content of this book), genius-designer Sagmeister talks about arriving in New York and looking through a book of some of the local design studios' recent work. While much of it was very good, which is no surprise considering it would have been from some of the best studios in the world, he found it boring.

Everything was good; nothing was interesting. And this is all Sagmeister want's to d
Sep 25, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: favourites, design, wants
I chanced upon this book many years ago when I was visiting Amsterdam, and was so enthralled as I was skimming it I *almost* parted with all of 50 Euros, but for the fact that I was a student travelling on a budget.

Yet I regretted my decision then, for admittedly the one I saw was the hardcover edition (with the psychedelic 3D image slip cover), which is now unavailable to buy online.

As I remembered it, it was very authentic and original, kinda like Bruce Mao but electrified with more wildness
Curtis Meeson
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a designer - it makes you want to pick up and quit your job. A completely honest recollection of one of the top designers on how he got to where he is today. Every page is a joy.
Archit Dhiman
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mohanad Al-Helwany
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest books that I’ve ever read. I also agree about what Lou Reed (musician new york) said about Sagmeister “If Stefan was a movie, he would get five stars”
Jun 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love good design (especially if it's a little transgressive) and I love crazy Austrians, so Stefan Sagmeister is my favorite combination of those things. It's also hard not to like someone who has such an ironic view of his own importance, and who's willing to put himself naked into his own design book, or as he labels it, "Another Self-Indulgent Design Book." The book itself is very cool: it comes in a red plastic jacket, which makes it look like there's a smiling doggy on the front. But when ...more
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What design needs in order to touch other people's hearts, according to Stefan Sagmeister (well, I may have paraphrased a little):
1. New perspective. "They have the ability to make me see things in a new way."
2. Trigger of memories. "Somehow they remind me of an experience, maybe childhood."
3. Passion and guts. "They show passion and commitment."
4. Surprise. "There is an element of unexpectedness."
5. Virtuosity. "There is virtuosity of craft or technique - or simply just the astonishment that so
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Si tuviera que describirlo en 3 palabras: libro interactivo análogo. La experiencia empieza aún antes de abrir el libro, con la portada y contraportada que revelan cambios al ponerle o quitarle la caja roja que hace de filtro y el efecto de los huesos o el título del libro en el delantero al intentar hojear el libro en ambos sentidos. Una vez empezando la lectura te encuentras con las notas del diario de Sagmeister, a veces en relación con el proyecto que describe el texto principal y a veces si ...more
Dec 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: artists, esp. designers
Sagmeister is quite a character. I wasn't aware of how honest he really is until I read the text in this book, the excerpts from his business diary are really interesting and forthcoming. I enjoyed reading about his work and the background story of the pieces highlighted in this book. Very talented and is not afraid to say when he regretted not doing better on certain works. I've changed my mind about who I thought he was...a good book for any artist, especially those in commercial design.
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Graphic Design Students
This is one of the few Graphic Design monographs worth reading. Sagmeister’s life is interesting and his written voice is very entertaining. The way his life aligns with his projects allows you to see why he is one of the most sought after graphic designers working. His writing is funny and entertaining and I would recommend this book to designers and non-designers alike.
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best design monograph ever written. The confident inclusion of all the bad bits (awful work, stressful moments, etc), really puts the work and development of Sagmeister as a creator close to anyone starting out in this industry. It's not only a display of excellent work, but the story and evolution of a mindset and basically a way of living that can relate to every creative.
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating look at 20 years of Stefan Sagmeister's design work, complimented by handwritten notes from his journal. I don't know that I always like the outcome but I respect the continual drive to push himself and to be honest.
Widgets &
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring look at the enigmatic and forwarding thinking designer Stefan Sagmeister. Great insight into his process and creativity. Wonderful personal notes on project ups and downs, the business side of work and great client stories.
Paul Rustand
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great monograph of one of the best graphic designers, Stefan Sagmeister. Loaded with all sorts of fascinating behind-the-scenes tidbits and details, not to mention some pretty amazing design work and interesting clients.
Aleksei  Ivanovskiy
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: design
This book is all about the sense of humor for me, Sagmeister designs are fantastic and surprisingly varied in style and medium, but the humor is just sublime, i just couldn't stop laughing at some pages.
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was inspiring. Not only is Sagmeister great at what he does, he's also honest and brings a lot of insight to the design process. In addition, the book has a lot of fun extras, like the rating system in the index and the designers choosing favorite designs.
Matthew Herring
Mar 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything worth knowing about Stefan Sagmeister is in this book.One of the best Graphic Designers in the business takes the reader into his life and process and we come out better, more interesting people on the other end. Well, most of us anyway.
Feb 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: designers
if you're ever feeling a lack of creativity...this book will fill you up with ideas. not just for graphic design nerds, i love how this book is so unconventional and fresh, even after a few years of sitting on the bookshelf.
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. Stefan Sagmeister, the designer, is simply inspirational.
Kosh Koshover
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Thought this was a great monograph, not only was the work inside great but the text of the book was interesting to read.
Mar 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Funny, smart and incredibly inspirational. Shows the evolution of a great designer, Stefan Sagmeister.
May 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A great inspiration to any designer, Sagmeister doesn't shy away from the failures and compromises that led him to find his own voice in design. Every page is amazing.
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
totally inspiring
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone cool/designers
don't take this shit too seriously. have fun and everything will work out.
Jul 01, 2016
  • Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far
  • The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • The Anatomy of Design: Uncovering the Influences and Inspirations in Modern Graphic Design
  • Book One: Work, 1986-2006
  • Graphic Artist's Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines
  • Fingerprint: The Art of Using Hand-Made Elements in Graphic Design
  • Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Graphic Design: A Concise History (World of Art)
  • Paul Rand: Conversations with Students
Stefan Sagmeister (born 1962 in Bregenz, Austria) is a New York-based graphic designer and typographer. He has his own design firm—Sagmeister Inc.—in New York City. He has designed album covers for Lou Reed, OK Go, The Rolling Stones, David Byrne, Aerosmith and Pat Metheny.
More about Stefan Sagmeister...

Nonfiction Deals