Start by marking “The Kinsmen Universe” as Want to Read:
The Kinsmen Universe

The Kinsmen Universe

(Kinsmen #1-3)

** PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED - This is an anthology edition of the Kinsmen Universe, which includes SILENT BLADE, SILVER SHARK, plus a new short story, and three original illustrations.**

Family is everything. Talent is power. And revenge is sweet.

In a distant, future world Kinsmen-small powerful groups of genetically and technologically advanced families-control vast financ
Published December 31st 2018 by NYLA

To ask other readers questions about The Kinsmen Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kinsmen Universe

Start your review of The Kinsmen Universe
Maria V. Snyder
I listened to this one - it took me a bit to get used to the narrator, because it wasn't Renee Raudman, who I love and read the Edge series and Hidden legacy series. The narrator did a good job. This is 2 novellas and a short story in the Kinsman world. I really liked the first and second novellas, Silent Blade and Silver Shark and the bio-net was a really cool piece of high tech. The third is a short story titled "A Mere Formality" and the first part is all world building and political details ...more
Treece
A Lie

The final story, A Mere Formality, is not new at all. It was a freebie from the author. The lie is why I could not give this collection a five star rating. Otherwise, this is an amazing collection I purchased previously as separate stories, except for the last story, I got for free years ago. For those who have not read them, I recommend.
Cheesecake
Wonderful audiobook!
Stories are short but richly complex.
Heroines who kick ass and the men who underestimated them.

I left reviews individually...

Angela (Angel's Guilty Pleasures)
I’m a HUGE fan of the Andrews team and I’ve been doing a re-read of their works. I’ve actually never read or listened to the Kinsmen series until now.

We are treated to 2 novellas, Silent Blade & Silver Shark and a short story, A Mere Formality in this bundle. Each title is previously published individually and you can buy them singularly or in the bundle.

I do want to point out that The Kinsmen Universe has some similarities to the Hidden Legacy series. In a distant future humans went into space
G.
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5

A solid trio of stories set in the same universe. I think the first two were previously published, but for me they were "new". I really liked the illustrations that accompanied each of the stories. It's a nicely self-published book. As for the stories themselves, I really liked all three. However, I do think all of them could've used more page time, especially the first and the last one. Anyway, the Kinsmen world is definitely a setting I would like to revisit.
Ursula
I averaged out these three stories at 3.5, but I liked one much more than the others. They were very much science fiction stories and because of their shorter format, it took a while to get into the world the authors created. Perhaps that was why I didn't enjoy the first one so much.
Silent Blade
Not sure about either of the MCs here. Meli was an assassin for her family, even as she leaves its protection. An outcast, as it were. She has a chance to avenge herself (a broken engagement lies in her p
Ipshita
It's my second time reading these stories, I read it previously on the authors' blog (bless them for letting us fans read snippets of some of their stories before they're released). It's hard for me to pick just one favourite because I enjoyed all three of them. Immensely.
description

Although I would have loved for the third story (A Mere Formality) to be a tad bit longer. Am I being too greedy?
Marianne
3 novellas bundled up into one book. The middle story; Silver Shark was my favorite.

3.75 stars, rounded up to 4.
Charlie
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love the Kinsmen universe, I hope Ilona Andrews writes more in this world in the future!
Lisazj1
I believe I started out 2018 with my first book as Ilona Andrews and that is always a good decision, so I decided to do it again.

I can see how these novellas might have been where the Hidden Legacy universe started *which I adore* and I enjoyed each story immensely. Everything you look for in this writing duo’s stories was here, the unparalleled world building, outstanding characterization, kickass action and sharp, often hilarious banter. What’s not to love? ❤️
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
My favorite is the 3rd story! Would love a full-lenght book
Jeanny
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I originally read the kindle version of these stories. I purchased the audible version bc I love this world (07/2019) . I hope to read more about this universe.
Ana
Silent Blade ★★★

Silver Shark ★★★

A Mere Formality ★★
Robyn
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
3.5 rounded up. A bit tougher than most of Andrews’ work; still enjoyable.
I'd already read and reviewed the three stories in this collection so I'll just copy my original reviews below but I want to talk about the gorgeous signed, limited edition hardback that I bought from Subterranean Press. It's a really beautiful book and it includes three full colour illustrations from artist Luisa Preissler (see photos below). This book includes the two main Kinsmen stories, Silent Blade and Silver Shark, as well as the short story A Mere Formality that is set in the same world ...more
Maria Dimitrova
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Silent Blade
Usually I dislike second chance romances and in its essence this book is precisely that. It just proves that nothing is set in stone if IA is the author. This is what happens usually when I get brainwashed into reading a similar story - I want the male lead to end up gelded. Or at least very very miserable and alone! Somehow IA made me want an a-hole like Celino Carvanna to get his HEA. I can't recognise myself! Add to it the fact that it's a freaking short story (less than 50 pa
Angela Charles
Overall this collection of stories were good I loved the first two stories and I want more from this world.

Silent Blade:

This is a very short story. It follows Meli, an assassin, who has been killing for her family for the last couple of years. She is trying to live her best life and enjoy retirement until her brother contacts her and ask her if she can do one more job for the family. She just wants to live her life but she gets that her family is her family and she is willing to take the job. Th
HTL
Good short stories. #2 is my favorite. The last one is sooo short and I definitely wanted more info on that alliance! I'd definitely read more from this world. ...more
AlwaysV
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Super Amazing anthology! This beautiful collection of two novellas and a short story was unexpectedly super fantastic. I wasn't prepared for such gorgeous Romance! Ilona Andrews and Romance? Sure, I knew they had no problem writing amazing UF/R and SciFi/R. Because I read and loved them all. Like. . . Kate Daniels, The Edge , Hugh & Elara's love story , and super hot Mad Rogan and Nevada's steaming and kick-ass trilogy Hidden Legacy , to name a few!

Yet Silent Blade, Silver Shark, and A Mere For
Vicky N.
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The best thing about this stories are the incredibly interesting world they are set in. That's what makes the stories so great.
Not gonna lie but I kinda expected them to add something different, but they're still the same stories that have been published separately, except for the addition of a couple of illustrations and a short story called a Mere Formality.
They were still very good and would recommend this bundle for those who haven't read them before.
Lyndi W.
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
Silent Blade: 2 stars - I just don't like the revenge murder-to-lovers plot.

Silver Shark: 5 stars - Would have loved a full-length novel with these characters and the bionet.

A Mere Formality: 4 stars - There's a bit of mind-numbing worldbuilding at the beginning, but the story is super short so just push through and it's worth it.
Emily
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kinsman Universe is kind of a sci-fi version of the Hidden Legacy series, with its biologically modified people and rival families. “Silent Blade” and “Silver Shark” were really good. The way Dahlia was described—its architecture, culture, and food—made me wish I could go there. Both stories were quite romantic, and I loved the characters.
“A Mere Formality” was the shortest and least developed of the three, but I liked its risqué silliness.
A must-read for Ilona Andrews fans.
Rhea_Sways
Naturally, I read it because IA... Hello?? who in their right mind does not. I remember specifically enjoying the second story, I am a little fussy on the last one but overall, it was an enjoyable read! Great characters cast, great world-building and excellent chemistry!
Paraphrodite
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2020
3.5 stars.

Read the first 2 novellas a few years back but they were worth another visit.

The world-building is very imaginative but due to their lengths, the romances were kept very short. The last short story "A Mere Formality" (which I haven't read before) is definitely a bit of a smutty joke, but quite funny, nevertheless.

As I stated in my previous reviews, I wished there were more lengthier stories of this universe as I think there's a lot more for us to explore.
Jai
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread now that this has been re-released. I adore SFR, so these hit me right in the soft spot. The first two stories are novella sized while the last is more of a bonus short story. I won't go into it because I've reviewed these already individually. One more though: it feels unfair to compare the last story (A Mere Formality) to the first two in this anthology because it's not really a novella, but I suspect some people may.

I have the physical subterranean press edition and the illustrations
Francesca ❆
Dec 29, 2020 rated it liked it
- The Silent Blade:
This is my least favorite novellas of the three, the male character is a complete cockheaded ass and completely undeserving of the female character’s attention.
And his name! How can you ask me to take someone named Celino seriously? I can’t, I just can’t do it. 😂
Meli on the other hand was a nice character, I really liked her and her powers were quite interesting.

- Silver Shark
This is the longest of the three novellas and it was quite enjoyable.
The male character (who has a ho
Sandra
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this wonderful illustrated book for myself for Christmas 2018 and I'm certainly glad I did.

The artwork is beautiful and arthouse worthy. The stories are reasonably short, the book only being 289 pages for the 3 stories, but Ilona Andrews always make it work. The world building & characters leap off the page.

This is obviously a precursor to the Hidden Legacy series, not in any way related, but in how the magic works, and it works here as well.

The Kinsmen Universe is made up of elite fam
Tabs
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-romance
I thoroughly enjoyed all three of these SFR stories set in a shared universe. They're all available separately but it was nice to be able to power through them in one volume. I adored every single heroine and the tropes were so fun. I would love if Ilona Andrews wrote a billion more of these, to be honest.

Silent Blade - In which a retired assassin gets her revenge on the ex-betrothed who ruined her life. I loved how this explored the idea that just because you didn't intend to cause harm, doesn'
Anniken Haga
It would appear I'm on an Ilona Andrews-kick, which isn't the worst thing in the world if you ask me.

I didn't have a relationship with The Kinsmen Universe before picking up this book, as I don't follow the authors blogg. The stories were, as to be expected well written and entertaining, and I'm glad they stayed with the short stories, as anything longe might have been too heavy.

Individual reviews:

SILENT BLADE

This was an enjoyable spy/assassin kind of romance, focusing more on personality than
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • Threshold of Annihilation (The Firebird Chronicles, #3)
  • Archangel's Sun (Guild Hunter, #13)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Polaris Rising (Consortium Rebellion, #1)
  • Alpha Night (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #4; Psy-Changeling, #19)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Chaos Reigning (Consortium Rebellion, #3)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • Twilight's Herald (Aileen Travers, #5)
  • American Witch (American Witch, #1)
  • Wolf Rain (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #3; Psy-Changeling, #18)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • Shadow's Messenger (Aileen Travers, #1)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kinsmen (3 books)
  • Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)
  • Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)
  • A Mere Formality