Start by marking “Chasing Harry Winston” as Want to Read:
Chasing Harry Winston

Chasing Harry Winston

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  78,007 ratings  ·  2,841 reviews
The bestselling author of The Devil Wears Prada and Everyone Worth Knowing returns with the story of three best friends who vow to change their entire lives...and change them fast. Emmy is newly single, and not by choice. She was this close to the ring and the baby she's wanted her whole life when her boyfriend left her for his twenty-three-year-old personal trainer - whos ...more
Published May 27th 2008 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Harry Winston, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Harry Winston

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Chick-Lit
2,255 books — 4,755 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
1,685 books — 6,937 voters

More lists with this book...

·  78,007 ratings  ·  2,841 reviews

Start your review of Chasing Harry Winston
Jan 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Idiots
Shelves: craptastic
So far this book is like a martini topped with mini marshmallows.

Update: I'm past the halfway point and the book is now a martini topped with marshmallows poured over a steaming pile of dog excrement.

Update the second: I retract my earlier statement, as it is demeaning to the martini. Martinis are fabulous and should never be associated with dreck like this. It is, however, like marshmallow-dotted dog poopie, as it is cloyingly sweet, fluffy, and a real stinkeroo.

Update the third: WARNING. I a
Opal
Jul 14, 2008 rated it did not like it
I absolutely LOVED "The Devil Wears Prada" and "Everyone Worth Knowing." I live in NYC and love reading about places I've been to, or places I've heard of. I understand what it's like to work in NYC. I could not wait for this book to come out, and even splurged and bought it before it was out in paperback. I am on page 115 and I'm completely regretting it. The most annoying parts are the following:

-Otis, Emmy's ex-boyfriend's African Grey parrot or bird that he left behind. I cringe every time I
Jaye
Jun 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
Absoulutely one of the worst books I've ever read. I am completely done reading the vapid crap that this woman purports to "write". She's a no talent-hack, who I'm convinced just knew the right people and got a contract for telling-all about Anna Wintour. When people bought that admittedly interesting, albeit horribly written book, it perpetuated a book deal and now she won't stop writing. And she should. She's HORRIBLE. ...more
Jordana Horn Gordon
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Like eating a whole sleeve of not particularly great cookies and then feeling like, "Why did I do that??" ...more
Jen Covey
Jan 04, 2009 rated it did not like it
I'm not sure why I am still reading this dreck. I didn't purchase it on my kindle because it had such horrible reviews, but when I saw it at the library I thought I would give it a chance. I think I am just avoiding housework but the pile of laundry is starting to look more appealing. ...more
Nic
Aug 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
I'd never read anything by Laura Weisberger before. I'd seen the movie "The Devil Wears Prada", and to be honest, that was pretty rubbish storyline-wise, but I thought hey, I'll give her a chance. So I saw this book, thought it might be a laugh. Gave it a go.

One of the first things I noticed was that every time I picked it up, I wanted to put it back down again about a minute later. It was that unreadable, clearly. But I did get through it. Although I really wish I hadn't wasted my money on it.

I
Suzanne
May 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Leigh, THE BOOK EDITOR, got engaged and went to visit her mom. Her mom says "I can't believe I had to wait TWELVE DAYS to see this sparkler." Then, two pages later, an incident that happened the day of the engagement is referenced as "it had been TEN DAYS since." About 200 pages later Leigh's name is spelled LEAH. This is the kind of crap that makes me want to burn books and then back over their ashes with my car. Or just complain incessantly to anyone that will listen.

Anywho, over the top chara
Angie
Aug 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
Liisa
May 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Girlfriends
By page nine, I had already laughed out loud and at page 38, I already LOVED "Chasing Harry Winston" by Lauren Weisberger.

It's the story of three best friends: Emmy, Adriana and Leigh and a year in which they plan to change their lives. Set in New York, focussing on dating and sex, you can't help but compare it to "Sex and the City" but it isn't a carbon copy nor are the similarities a bad thing.

I found "Chasing Harry Winston" highly entertaining and incredibly easy to read. The characters are a
Erin
Aug 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
this book made my angry. i really had to put it down several times and walk away. aside from the fact that it reads as if it was written by a ninth grader, the overall tone and subject just supports the stereotype that all women (or at least those in a certain age bracket) are consumed with material things and status, and that true love is not quite as important as the size and make of your ring or the number of men with whom you have slept. i have known women like this (thankfully, not that man ...more
✨ kathryn ✨
Uhm. I can't quite figure out how I feel about this book. It, in my opinion, lacked any real plot (bar a couple of moments), and there was no real character development, either. That being said, it was one of those reads where my brain didn't need to be entirely present or working to comprehend what was going on. And there were a few moments where I genuinely laughed out loud. It was a good, thought-less read, something that I didn't realise I needed after my last few books.
Basically, I didn't h
Ummi Farhana
Jun 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: rubbish
Adriana, Emmy and Leigh are best friends living in Manhattan, New York.

Adriana - The Brazilian goddess, the ultimate slut socialite who will sleep with just about anything male.

Emmy - The flat-chested serial monogamist who had been dumped by her five-year boyfriend for a virgin cheerleader (like I would believe that for a minute!).

Leigh - The obsessive and compulsive one with lots of issues despite having perfect everything i.e boyfriend, job, place... or so her friends thought.

One day, the two
Shrabonti
Jul 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
It was one of those books I wanted to throw with great force (thanks Dorothy Parker) but still had to finish just so I could see how bad it could get.

The unforgettably bad bits:

1. Yes, I too was constantly checking the cover to see if I was mistaken in thinking those were rings coz nothing in the narrative justified that design. Except the art department wanted it to connect with 'The Devil Wears Prada', correctly guessing that was the only reason people would buy this book, and they also wante
Ivonne Marie
Jan 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Totally girlie and predictable, but fantastic!!!! I really enjoyed the way the author presented three female personalities whom I could either relate to, or identify them among my female friends. All three girls are fantastic and easy to love.

Great writing too. I couldn't put it down. Not in the suspense thriller kind of way, but in the I really want to know what's going to happen with the characters and what turns are their lives taking.
Love Fool
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love books that show the friendships of ladies. Maybe because I can picture my friends and myself as the ladies. I found this book to be funny and an easy read. I recommend this book over Lauren Weisberger's other books. Honestly, until I read this book I had a hard time understanding why people loved Lauren Weisberger's books. ...more
Yamna
This book is basically about three best friends and their pacts. And it is one of my not-so-favorite books of 2016. Thus my long hiatus. I haven't been able to come back to goodreads to review this book for months because it took me weeks to finish this book. The main reason isn't that the book is boring, it's quite interesting actually. But I think what made the book unbearable to me at times was Adriana. Supposedly "gorgeous", beautiful, sexy Adriana with an accent. Ever seen those beach blond ...more
Jill
Jul 15, 2008 rated it liked it
I'm not sure why this book has been getting such terrible reviews, because I didn't really see much wrong with it at all. No, it wasn't Everyone Worth Knowing - which, coincidentally, is a fabulous book and especially great for summer - but I don't think it necessarily deserved the bad rap it got.

Sure, the characters can, at times, be so frustratingly typical and absurdly blind to their own mistakes that you find yourself wanting to yell out loud, perhaps in an effort to channel them and someh
Sam
Feb 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Cute. Not realistic and sometimes frustratingly so.
I mean isn't kind of ridiculous for a writer to write with three characters that are three different versions of most girls perfection? All went to Cornell one is a publishing titan in training, one travels the world searching for great recipes and gets paid for it, and one is a gorgeous Brazilian heiress.

It's a fun silly read but at points I was just angry at the fact that a writer would so casually write about three perfect girls with problem
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
The characters are all self-centred and unrelatable, but Weisberger wants them to be regular girls who just so happen to sleep with A-list directors, actors, and authors. Yup, happens to me every day. Nothing really happens until halfway through the book. Even then, when something does happen, I find out about it when the characters talk about it over coffee rather than Weisberger narrate the situation herself.

Apart from creating one of the worst female characters I've ever read, the author als
Kate
Aug 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Clearly one data point* does not make a trend.

1.5/5 Dire.

*because The Devil Wears Prada was good fun.
stephanie
May 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: someone with absolutely nothing else to read.
Shelves: 2008, chicklit
it was okay.

i don't know if it's necessarily weisberger's fault - it's that after The Devil Wears Prada, i expected so much from her. and she hasn't delivered that blend of sarcasm, satire and naivety that made me like the first book so much.

this is the story of three girls who make a decision to basically change their lives in one year - the chronic commitment-phobe will be engaged, the serial monogamist will go on a "fuck tour", and the one in the perfect relationship will do . . . somethin
Elizabeth
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first Lauren Weisberger book I've read, so I don't have the ability to compare it to The Devil Wears Prada or any of her other titles. I loved this book! It's a light and fluffy read. I liked that the characters all had such different personalities, you got to follow separate stories and become invested in each separately for different reasons.
Some parts were quite predictable, but I loved it regardless.
Heather
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read (and watched) "The Devil Wears Prada" several years ago and I liked it so when I came across this one, I decided to read it too.

I didn't expect this to be a literary gem by any means, and in that respect it did not disappoint. I would definitely classify this as a mindless, quick "beach" read. Around page 66 I started to feel like I was losing brain cells yet at the same time, I couldn't seem to put it down either. Part of that was because I didn't want to start a book in 2012 and have it
Kristan
Sep 25, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE
OMG! This book was terrible; boring, shallow, bereft of heart, or story for that matter. Lauren Weisberger wrote one of the greatest chic lit stories of all time; The Devil Wears Prada, then begins her downhill slope with Everyone Worth Knowing to end up and the very bottom of the mountain with this piece of trash. I'm going to rename Lauren Weisberger, Picabo Street, for her ability to maneuver the Downhill, only with not as much grace - and certainly No gold medal waiting to be awarded.

Ms. We
L.E. Fidler
oh, lauren weisberger. why must you write such ugly people. not physically ugly, naturally. since all three of these BFF 4 evas are gorgeous in their own ways. there's leigh, who we start off with, who is like a totally neurotic version of andy from the devil wears prada. and emmy who reminds me of bess from nancy drew, even though she's supposed to be flat chested and skinny. and adriana the brazilian goddess who puts both the other girls to shame.

i don't know. the premise here is a bit iffy. l
LaFleurBleue
Apr 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Bad, very bad, awfully bad.
There's just nothing to redeem this book. It's one of the very very few books I feel should be all burnt, to avoid anyone else the displeasure to read something this bad. Even years after, I still remember the horror I felt all through this.
I'm not a huge fan of chick lit, but some of it can be enjoyable, relaxing and fun. It is none of the three.
The three, supposedly heroine, girls are tarts and there is no nicer way to describe them; none has anything that might be l
Hope
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
All the "nice guys" got to me! That nearly every man (even one night stands?) seemed to be overly considerate and romantic and unbeliveable in the least kinda wanted to make me gag a little. I suppose that is the kind of men to expect in chick lit, though?

Altogether it was a very easy and quick read. Not the best or worst. A mostly predictable plotline, and characters that are one-dimensional take away from the enjoyment. Having said that, it was a fun story about fabulous neurotic characters (
Lonica
I can handle a great deal of questionable material in my reading, if I feel like it has some merit. Within the first fifty pages, this book has superfluous language and sexual content that really had no redeeming quality. I set it aside without finishing.
Justine
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Good book that makes you laugh a lot sometimes, but at some point in my reading process, I got bored... Just because there are too many long paragraphs to say nothing wich was kind of disappointing...
I remember reading it when I was 15 and loving it !

This is how you know you grow up :)
Kath
Jul 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
What God awful predictable tripe. Flat characters you don't actually care about and an obvious story line. Worlds away from the wonderful The Devil Wears Prada. How the mighty have fallen. ...more

• Lipstick Jungle
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1)
  • Mr. Maybe
  • Heart of the Matter
  • Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)
  • The Undomestic Goddess
  • Can You Keep a Secret?
  • In Her Shoes
  • Cocktails for Three
  • Sushi for Beginners
  • One Fifth Avenue
  • Baby Proof
  • The Nanny Diaries (Nanny, #1)
  • Queen of Babble (Queen of Babble, #1)
  • Jemima J
  • Remember Me?
  • Trading Up
  • The Boy Next Door (Boy, #1)
Lauren Weisberger is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of When Life Gives You Lululemons, The Singles Game, Revenge Wears Prada, Last Night at Chateau Marmont, Chasing Harry Winston, Everyone Worth Knowing, and The Devil Wears Prada--most of which were top five bestsellers. The Devil Wears Prada was published in forty languages and made into a major motion picture starring Meryl Streep and ...more