Start by marking “From A to Z with Energy!: 26 Ways to Move and Play” as Want to Read:
From A to Z with Energy!: 26 Ways to Move and Play

From A to Z with Energy!: 26 Ways to Move and Play

A lively alphabet book that encourages movement, play, and learning.

“Skate along the Ice for I! For J we Jam and Jive. K’s for Kicking as you swim, and float and splash and dive.” Watch the alphabet come to life as children run and twirl and jump and play their way through the ABCs with energy! This imaginative alphabet book teaches young learners not only how to move
Published April 9th 2019 by Free Spirit Publishing

To ask other readers questions about From A to Z with Energy!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From A to Z with Energy!

Start your review of From A to Z with Energy!: 26 Ways to Move and Play
Rachel
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
With its diverse cast, rhythmic rhyming text, and bright illustrations, I think it would make a great addition to any classroom.

This book teaches the alphabet and healthy habits at the same time. It takes the reader through the day and highlighting various fun and healthy activities they can engage in, including skating, dancing, swimming, and other sports, as well as eating healthy foods and getting a good night's sleep. The illustrations are vibrant, colorful, and active, and I love that they
June Jacobs
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wish I this book had existed when I was teaching Kindergarten and first grade!

This book is colorful, stimulating, and engaging with its rhyme, rhythm, and repetition. In addition, it effectively conveys the importance of staying active by giving children a variety of physical activities to keep them moving. Dancing, baseball, soccer, exercising, skating, swimming, hiking--the list goes on and on. I liked the mention of eating a healthy lunch to stress the importance of nutrition and how it
Jared White
The good: The book has great racial diversity. It also features a couple girls in head scarves and characters in wheelchairs. There are also a very wide range of actions portraying what it can mean to be active, get energy (healthy food), etc. There are also some notes for caregivers at the back of the book which further discuss some of the concepts presented throughout the book.

The bad: The word associated with the current letter of the alphabet isn't designated very clearly. This ties in with
Pippa Chorley
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From A to Z with Energy is such a lovely book for younger readers. I would definitely use this in a class room setting for pre-schoolers. I love the fact it joins two important skills for young children to master, gross motor skills and phonics! Connie Dow does a brilliant job of making the alphabet jump and jive and come alive. I definitely think things are easier to learn with movement and would recommend this in any preschool and infant library as a way to help children learn their alphabet. ...more
Kelsey
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Age: Preschool-Kindergarten
Sports: Variety

Exercise activities and movement are paired with rhyming text in this ABC book filled with diverse skin color (and a couple children in wheelchairs). Bright, bold colors and Pixar-esque illustrations will make this incredibly appealing for a class read-aloud. Free Spirit Publishing wins again!

Supplemental material includes physical benefits of moving, social emotional benefits of movement, and 10 movements activities.
Rinda Beach
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this book out loud, and you’ll have “Time to play and have some fun; trying new things one by one.” Don’t stop when you get to Z! There’s back matter for you and your child that includes the physical and emotional benefits of movement plus 5 supporting activities and 5 supplemental ones. Try them all, and you’ll have gone FROM A TO Z WITH ENERGY! And most importantly, you and your child will have had fun together.
Tina Shepardson
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Connie Bergstein Dow has created such a treat for readers of every age with this whimsical, lyrical, alphabet dance. Not only are readers going to feel energized and want get moving, but so will their friends, families, and teachers. Exercise and movement is so vital and critical to our emotion, social and physical well-being. There is no better way than to be energized together. This beautifully written and illustrated book will do just that!
Mara
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get to see an ARC of this book and read it to my daughter. Even though we’ve mostly moved on from alphabet books at age 6, this one caught her energetic attention! She loves moving and be active, so it really connected to her! The illustrations are colorful and charming, and children will find both mirrors and windows in the diverse characters. Also lots of great ideas for parents and teachers in the back. Highly recommended!
Kat Harrison
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While it's true that Dow's A TO Z is fun to read--the pages are well-timed with rhyme and burst with color, what really brings the book full circle are the movement-inspired pages in the back matter that teach kids (and adults) the importance of engaging your body, employing creativity when you do so, and the social-emotional benefits of moving and grooving. A great read to start or end an active day.
Susan
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Connie Bergstein Dow’s alphabet book accomplishes so much in a single text! While children learn the alphabet, they also explore how to incorporate healthy practices into their lives. And with Dow’s imaginative rhymes, they also experience the joys of language. “F is for the Fun you’ll have while moving every day,” . . . and while reading A to Z with Energy out loud! I look forward to sharing it with my preschool class.
Lisa Kalma
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fun and lively book encouraging children to get up and move! I loved the colourful and energetic illustrations and the way the book intertwines learning the alphabet with teaching children about the benefits of movement and exercise.
This book is must have for parents and the classroom. The kids will love it and enjoy reading along and following the actions as they go!
Juliana Lee
Perfect addition to your collection of ABC books! This one does more than entertain, it gets little ones up and moving. The bright text and illustrations perfectly compliment the happy bouncy rhymes. No one can be grumpy reading this book. It's sure to be requested for re-readings, giggles, and wiggles!
Curatorium .
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: caregivers, children, teachers
Shelves: picture-books, kindle, arc
A grand little read. The illustrations are vivid and active. The message this book conveys is important and timely. The rhyming is quite forced at times. However, the inclusiveness, diversity and overall positive message of this book are worthwhile and fun. There is a section at the end for caregivers with important tips and activities.
Annette Schottenfeld
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Children will see themselves in this lovely book by Connie Bergstein Dow, who provides plenty of motivation for finding one’s energy. Fun illustrations by Gareth Llewhellin will have readers spotting new things each time they return to read it.
Jarm Boccio
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lively story in verse that gets kids moving. Connie Dow has left nothing out. . . Kids will love to act out the movements on the pages. The book leaves room for many activities to be used in the classroom.
Malayna Evans
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This fun picture book by Connie Bergstein Dow will encourage little ones to play and dance their way through the alphabet. The diverse cast is beautifully illustrated by Gareth Llewhellin. Included in the back of the book is a guide for using movement to expand the book's learning opportunities.
June Smalls
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Written in a fun and bouncy rhyme you work your way through the day and through the alphabet with different activities for every letter. Kids will want to get up and move along with each spin, skip, twirl and hop. Every child can see themselves in this book. A must have.
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
molliekay
rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2019
Terri
May 04, 2019
Vanessa Keel
This book offers a lovely way to motivate parents and kids to get out there and get moving, while also teaching the alphabet. I love that this book encourages our children to be active outdoors and comes complete with activity ideas and educational materials for parents and teachers. Beautiful illustration in vibrant colors to match the energy of the book.
Lyndi
Amanda
added it
Apr 14, 2019
Connie Dow
Apr 29, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Helen Ishmurzin

• I Campaigned for Ice Cream: A Boy's Quest for Ice Cream Trucks
  • Odd Animal ABC's
  • Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh
  • Neil Armstrong's Wind Tunnel Dream
  • RES-Q Tyler Stop (Tyler Stop, #1)
  • The Pencil Eater