Start by marking “What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services” as Want to Read:

A world-renowned innovation guru explains practices that result in breakthrough innovations

"Ulwick's outcome-driven programs bring discipline and predictability to the often random process of innovation."

-Clayton Christensen For years, companies have accepted the underlying principles that define the customer-driven paradigm--that is, using customer "requirements" to guide
Published September 1st 2005 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about What Customers Want, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Customers Want

Start your review of What Customers Want: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services: Using Outcome-Driven Innovation to Create Breakthrough Products and Services
Greg
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This methodology is closely tied to The Innovator's Dilemma and The Innovator's Solution. It is a systematic approach to product management decisionmaking that is designed to produce a superior more replicable outcome of the innovation process. It's primary value is in its quantitative methods for the identification of underserved and overserved markets. It's primary weakness is it overlooks too much of the standard practices around market sizing, project justification, and the role that third p ...more
Kirill Grebtsov
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Approach that Anthony describes in the book is rather intriguing, but there is a catch to it. Since Anthony runs a consulting firm he is making a lot of emphasis on how important it is to have a skilled team of market researchers(read - hire my company) and never actually explains how to process the customer interviews to capture the outcomes, jobs and constraints.
Grumpus
Jun 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Great info to use on the job (mine).

The evolution of segmentation methodology from using demographics to psychographics to purchase behavior to needs-based issues to the outcome-based approach recommended by the author.

It all seems to make sense and we'll be putting it to the test on the job immediately. Our ultimate goal is to uncover the jobs (outcomes) newspapers readers are trying to accomplish through the use of the product (i.e., makes me smarter, helps me make better shopping decisions,
Ko Matsuo
Aug 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Mixed about this book. The first few chapters on understanding why products fail was so good. This part of the book was focused on why the requirements driven approach, voice of the customer approach, and focusing on your immediate customer approach do not work. The latter half of the book which is about outcome driven innovation is based on obtaining customer preferences via surveys and a prioritization methodology. This part of the book unfortunately seems to be a rehash of dated approaches to ...more
Lars
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must-read for product managers

I had this book on my to-be-read list for a long time. Too long, in retrospect. Product managers interested in bringing winning products to the market and making data-driven decisions about their products must be familiar with the outcome-driven approach. And this book is clearly the number one reference. On top of being highly relevant, it is practical, easy to read and rooted in solid research, not opinion.
Jim
May 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
Irritatingly self-promotional, Ulwick puts old wine in new bottles and calls it a scientific breakthrough.
Klaus
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're working on developing new products and services this is required reading
Gerard Chiva
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I definitely should have read many years ago instead of so much Agile crap. If I’d have to summarize this book in one sentence I’d use Henry Ford’s famous quote: “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”
Francisco
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book

This book makes the reader understand in a deep way the outcome concept about to understand the customer task and how to measure and improve it. This conducts to make a good product portfolio prioritization.
Luca
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book in theory, not very actionable. The whole point of the book is to sell you his consulting services and trainings. Not a super fan of paying for promotional brochures
Justin McCullough
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommneded!!! For product development, product owners, and strategic marketers.
Remi Monophaz
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Eye opener...
Jason S
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book offers a new perspective on WHY customers buy. I love how the author drills down to truly determine what specific outcome customers are looking for when they purchase products or services. More helpful is the methodology to determine these outcomes and apply the learnings to create meaningful innovation.

The foundation of this methodology is the customer interview and it would have been nice if they included more examples and case studies of questions and responses. I'm hoping to find m
Scott
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Four stars not because of fabulous writing. It's your typical business book and feels like it evolved from a PowerPoint deck with summary if what you are about to learn and a summary of what you learned in each chapter! Could have been half the length.

Enough literary criticism. The ideas seem sound and very useful. I'm typically a cynic with this type of system but it's simplicity combined with its power have me excited to use it at our company.
Janette
Oct 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
A very rational examination on how to build products that markets (people) will want to buy. There are a lot of theories out there about how to leverage innovative thinking but this book details a rational plan for reducing theory to practice when it comes to elaborating the theory of innovation to the practicalities of product development,
D
Jul 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Maybe business writers think business readers are stupid, so they repeat the same information again and again. Or maybe that's the only way to crank out 176 pages.

There's great information in this book. I just think the author could have let his readers download some checklists and worksheets for the same price of $24.95.
Francie Wirkus
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Very good information, but not a book to read while on my Computrainer. There are great strategies and examples of the strategies in action. This is the sign of a good business book: big concepts applied to real experiences and situations. The kind of book you'll need to refer back to time and again. Don't give your copy away. Make a point to pull it out once a month to validate your direction.
Robbie Manson
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read for anyone into Jobs To Be Done. Focuses heavily on quantifying research to inform the product development cycle. Would've been good to delve into specific interview techniques ala Switch Interviews. A number of interesting case studies throughout. Could've delivered the same value in a shorter format, but I always think that.
Taylor Pechacek
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book if you are familiar with the Jobs to be Done framework and have read the Innovator's Solution or any of the books in that series. This book provides practical, straightforward answers on how to implement an outcome-driven approach within a company. This is one of the few books I found having several gems I can take into my day to day functions at work immediately.
Islam
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This books introduces the process of outcome-driven innovation. The theory is presented in an amazing way with very good examples that accompany the reader through out the book applying the concepts introduced in addition to tips, tricks and advice on what to avoid in certain situations. I am looking forward to applying what I have learned in my job.
Jose Papo
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I read about understanding customers. This should be considered required reading for anyone dealing with Customer Development, Product Development, Software Development, 'Requirement' Analysis, Business Model Innovation and Needs Gathering.
Kris Gösser
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The perfect complimentary book for anyone who has had a past interest, or has previously studied, Lean Startup, Job To Be Done, and Outcomes based theories. It's as good of an actionable book as I've read in a while.
Steve Puma
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book will change the way you think about market research, and product design. It will teach you how to identify, quantify, and fill customer needs, without all of the guesswork.
Bruce
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Many good thoughts about understanding cusutomers
Anthony Francavilla
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a good introduction to Jobs to be Done methodology. I do agree that it is repetitive and you can get the same information out of the author's journal articles and by reading jtbd.org.
Marko
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful and concise.
Lanelle Duke
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Solid. I liked the outcome/job-based approach. I also liked the outcome, feature, product concept prioritization method. I will definitely incorporate what I learned in this book into my job.
B S
Mar 17, 2016 marked it as to-read
Looks like a primer on identifying the metrics that customers use to define their successful outcome and innovating based on those metrics. Eager to learn more!
Karen
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this for a project at work. It was helpful, insightful and provided good tangible examples and formulas on how to improve products and services.
Michael Morgan
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book gives you a great foundation for conducting outcome-driven research for any organization. It's easy to follow and read. Highly recommend it!

• The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book that Will Change the Way You Do Business
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Good Strategy Bad Strategy: The Difference and Why It Matters
  • Business Model Generation
  • High Output Management
  • The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
  • UX Strategy: How to Devise Innovative Digital Products That People Want
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk
  • Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts
  • Organizaciones Hiper-Resilientes: ¿Cómo hacer para que tu organización viva el cambio, prospere en la adversidad y evolucione lo suficientemente rápido?
  • Favorite Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose

News & Interviews

“For a company to innovate, it must create products and services that let consumers perform a job faster, better, more conveniently, and/or less expensively than before. To achieve this objective, companies must know what outcomes customers are trying to achieve (what metrics they use to determine how well a job is getting done) and figure out which technologies, products, and features will best satisfy the important outcomes that are currently underserved.” 0 likes
“Probably the most difficult challenge in getting customer inputs is determining in advance which of the three types of customer data (jobs, outcomes, or constraints) to try to capture in a given situation. Several common situations arise.” 0 likes