Start by marking “Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas

Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas

Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas is the hilarious, poignant and entertaining story of the life of a junior doctor at the most challenging time of the year. With twenty-five tales of intriguing, shocking and incredible Christmas incidents, the British public will finally appreciate the sacrifices made and the challenges faced by the unsung heroes of the NHS.

Twas The Nights/>Twas
Hardcover
Published October 2019 by Picador

To ask other readers questions about Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas

Start your review of Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas
Jodie (whatjodiereads)
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The only complaint I have about this book is that it wasn’t long enough! I love Adam Kay’s writing and I love reading about his time as a doctor. I felt every emotion whilst reading this book - and I loved it! It was hilarious but also heartbreaking at times. It also makes me angry for the way NHS staff are treated, and it really shows what amazing people they are. I really wish that this book was longer as I was really enjoying reading it. It took me only 2 hours! I recommend this one to everyo ...more
Jessica Rose
May 03, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medical
I am SO glad Adam is writing a new book!

This Is Going to Hurt was truly hilarious and I wasn't ready for the stories to end.

This will be the perfect Christmas read and I just can't wait.
my bookworm life
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Like many people i really loved 'This is going to hurt', it was hilarious, gross and had plenty of heart to it, and was certainly eye opening!. So when i saw that he was bringing out a second book, again , like many i was really looking forward to more!.

When this came through the door, firstly i was so let down by how small it was!, it's more of a 'gift book' and something you would just buy for someones stocking or something like that, it is nowhere near the size of the first book,
Rebecca
If you’ve read This Is Going to Hurt, the UK’s bestselling nonfiction title of 2018, you’ll know just what to expect from the comedian’s holiday-themed follow-up. It’s raunchy, morbid and laugh-out-loud funny. In the seven years that Kay was a medical doctor, he had to work on Christmas Day six times. He takes us through the holiday seasons of 2004 to 2009, from the sickeningly festive run-up to the letdown of Christmas day and its aftermath. With his Rudolph tie on and his Scrooge spirit intact, he ...more
George (BuriedInBooks)
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading Adam Kays ‘This Is Going To Hurt’ last year and loving it I was excited to get his latest book which is ‘Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas’ I’m reviewing this today.

This book is a lot shorter than his previous around 140 pages but I’m ok with this as it’s his experiences around Christmas time. As I’ve also worked in healthcare and on Christmas Day before so I was able to relate but unlike Adam, I’ve had to dress up as Santa before!

The book contains many funny story’s but als
Liz Franklin
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny, and poignant and thought provoking and really really respectful of the NHS (and rightfully so) - just too too short! Perfect for a stocking filler for Christmas for anyone who’s read Adam Kay’s first book (This is Going to Hurt), but I can’t help feeling it must have been written in a rush....
Sam Still Reading
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: I loved This is Going to Hurt
Like thousands of other readers, I laughed and cried my way through Adam Kay’s This is Going to Hurt. I wanted more – more laughs, more crazy stories and more OMG moments interspersed with the full range of human emotional experience. Thankfully we now have more in this slim hardcover, which is the perfect size for a stocking or to fit in your pocket to read on the same to work as you steel yourself for working the festive season.

Like the name suggests, this book is full of Adam’s ex
Katie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did love this one it was funny, heartfelt and a brilliant insight into the NHS, it was just far too short. I still standby that his memoirs are the best NHS ones that I’ve read.
Eleanor Slater
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Laugh out loud funny and the perfect length for a train journey - although stifling your laughter in public to avoid funny looks may be hard.
Elizabeth
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great, quick read. Trademark humour and heartbreak from Adam Kay, patron saint of the NHS. Fuck the tories!
Sandie Bishop
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More funny and heartbreaking anecdotes from the very witty Adam Kay. Loved this festive follow up to This is Going to Hurt. Makes you realise just how stressed our medical profession are while appreciating his ability to relate a bad day on the ward in a way which will either make you laugh or cry - or both in some cases.
Yasmin Nouri
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
So good and very funny, I just wish it was a bit longer so it felt more like a standalone book rather than the christmassy cut-outs from This is Going to Hurt. Still loved it though!
Becky
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great little read, with giggles and tears. Will make a brilliant stocking filler this christmas.
Leo
Aug 20, 2019 marked it as to-read
Of course I have to read this book, especially after the hellish week at the hospital I had during the mid-August holidays.
Gemma
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-publisher
This Is Going To Hurt was always going to be an incredibly tough act to follow, but I can honestly say that the only negative I have on Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas is that it was over far too soon – I tore through it in a couple of hours!

In this Christmas themed follow up are more brilliant stories told in the same diary format as This Is Going To Hurt – covering the Christmas holiday period from 2004 – 2009 when Kay worked as a junior doctor in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, a
Danni The Girl
Shelves: 2019-reading
Really looking forward to this book being released... didn't realise it was going go be such a small book... what can I say? Size matters to me.
So this one and is solely focused on diary entries from his Christmas shifts.. that he worked every year whilst in medicine.

I think This is going to hurt was just trying to be funny throughout.. the main criticism from this was Kay being insensitive. I didnt think this at all. Moving onto "Twas the nightshift before Christmas" and there is a good eleme
Rebecca
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a follow up to Kay's wildly successful collection of anecdotes and tales from his time as a junior doctor 'This is Going to Hurt' which is absolutely LOVED and is still going strong in the book charts today. In this book, we have tales from the festive periods, where Kay found himself at work Christmas and New Year's Day over and over again.

It is heartfelt, it is funny, and it's highly important that we all read this book and take a moment to really appreciate the NHS staff -
Kirsty Noah-whitlock
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review for 'Twas the Nightshift before Christmas' by Adam Kay

This book is from the author of 'This is going to hurt' which I thouroughly enjoyed so was over the moon when I discovered he was bringing this book out. This book is much shorter and is based on diary entries he wrote over Christmas shifts that he worked. It was very well written and had every range of diary entries from the gross to everyday, from hilarious to devastating and very emotional, especially one particular case
Amy
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored Adam's first book, This is Going to Hurt, after picking it up in a charity shop; it made me laugh, smile, and cry buckets. So when I found out there was going to be a follow up I knew I had to get my hands on it straight away.

This is a lot shorter than his first book at just over 100 pages, and chronicles Adam's experiences working numerous Christmases over the years. I adored this follow up; I absolutely love the way that Adam writes because it is just captivatin
Kerry-louise Jones
Another fantastic instalment from Adam Kay!

I have to admit that I thought this was a little bit of a rip off when I first saw the size of it but I have just sat down and read it in one sitting and it had me laughing out loud on multiple occasions so I no longer begrudge the tiny size!

I love that in with the humour there are touching stories and reminders that we should take the time to think of others who don’t get to spend Christmas with their loved ones.

I also really really hope
Christine
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading 'This is going to hurt, I was super excited about this book coming out. I waited patiently for it to arrive on my kindle after pre-ording. This book is much shorter than first one but just as thought provoking, funny and gruesome. I really wished it was longer but it really made me think about all those people that work on Christmas providing services to various patients.
Jemima
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Hilarious in places and heart-wrenching in others, it's exactly what I expected from Adam Kay! My only complaint is that it wasn't long enough! I read this in one sitting in a coffee shop, and I'm sure I must have got odd looks- I was giggling to myself at one point, and close to tears at another.
Danielle rayner
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading this is going to hurt I had very high expectations for this book.
I can certainly say it did not disappoint!
Adam Kay’s writing is so light hearted and funny yet when talking about certain cases you can feel the compassion and sympathy for patients.
100% recommend to read.
Yasmine
Shelves: 4-stars, non-fiction
A great little book that’s a nice follow on to ‘This is going to hurt’. I can’t help but wish it could be longer but it seems like most of the material was used in Kay’s first book, and there’s a finite resource of anecdotes to draw from (it is after all, a diary of real events).
Nonetheless an enjoyable read with a few laughs here and there.
Katy Noyes
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Extra tales from Kay with a festive flavour, as laugh-out-loud as ever.

Kay mentions in this that some of the stories were intended to be included in 'This is Going to Hurt', and they would have made a perfect 'Christmas' chapter in his first 'behind the NHS curtain' book.

This makes a good little stocking filler though, a second glimpse at the perennially exhausting, sometimes hilarious and often heartbreaking life of a doctor.

Kay takes us through twenty five s
Craig
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Much shorter but equally emotive.
This is simply harrowing and hilarious and inescapable honest. I read it in 3.5 hours.
Kim Clough
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Compared to the first one I thought this fell a bit flat...
Alexandra R
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable but very short in comparison to his first. Has some hilarious moments and heart breaking entries that takes some guts to get through.
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I was going to save this to read over Christmas but it came in the post this week and I couldn't resist it. Adam Kay's hospital anecdotes are honestly a joy to read. I highly recommend!
Donna
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny and poignant

Read it in two sittings, my only complaint, it wasn't long enough, more please. Very funny and real NHS life.
Semifinal Round

• The Doll Factory
  • Such a Fun Age
  • The Secret Life of France
  • The Heavens
  • Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts)
  • In Rude Health: The funniest and most explicit stories from the NHS
Adam Kay is a writer and comedian
He writes extensively for TV and film. His first book "This is Going to Hurt" is out now.
“Would you believe there’s a medical term specifically and exclusively for a mass of undigested sharon fruit in an intestine? No wonder medical school takes so long, learning all this shit.” 1 likes