Start by marking “The Young and the Lesbian” as Want to Read:
The Young and the Lesbian

The Young and the Lesbian

Dash Bannon, a forty-seven-year-old soap opera actress with high aspirations, has been relegated to dried-up relative in the corner status, and that simply will not do. A career shakeup is in order, and Dash decides to hop onto the train of celebrities coming out as gay. One teeny problemshe isnt really gay. On the other hand, she IS an actress.

One of Dashs co-stars,
Published August 30th 2016 by Ride the Rainbow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Young and the Lesbian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Young and the Lesbian

Start your review of The Young and the Lesbian
Skye Kilaen
Fake dating + queer women in their late 40s / early 50s + critiquing the misogyny of show business + a wish-fulfillment epilogue that made me do a little dance. Dash Bannon, a soap opera actor, decides that the best way to pump up her fading career is to come out as gay. Jane Knight, her frenemy co-star, really IS gay. Jane herself never intended to come out, but what if a fake relationship would get them both some attention (and bargaining power)?

I wanted to be annoyed with Dash for faking gay,
lov2laf
I enjoyed this novella. It has a bit of fun to it while also tapping into the realism of being an aging actress in the television industry. What we end up getting is a coming-out-late-in-life f/f romance between older women (40s and 50s) that starts off as a crazy scheme and ends on a feel good note.

If you want something light and well-written, this is a good fit. It also is available in the Kindle Unlimited program.
Heinerway
Terrible title, but the story is fun and interesting. It's not so much about the fake relationship between Dash and Jane, as it's about the misogyny in show business. Interesting. And all this prior to the #metoo movement.
angie
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title seriously does NOT do justice to this short but very likable, sweet and fun-to-read novella. Don't let the first few pages (which almost feel trite compared to the rest of Q. Kelly's wonderful tale) keep you from keeping on :)
Tara
This was cute and I enjoyed it. Because it's so short, it doesn't have as much depth as other celebrity fake relationship romances that have come out this year like In Development by Rachel Spangler or Casting Lacey by Elle Spencer, but it was still fun.
Cindy Stein
Dash is a long-time soap opera actress who sees the writing on the wall that her career is in a downward spiral. To try to jumpstart it, she decides to publicly come out, except she's really not a lesbian. As her hoax unfolds, the star of her soap, Jane, who is a very closeted lesbian, is also concerned that she'll be written out of the show, so she convinces Dash that they should stage themselves as a couple.

Yes, it's another fake romance book! This one features women in their 40s, so a bit
Fran Ringland
Enjoyable short fluff. Not remotely believable. I certainly wouldn't confuse it with a documentary. However it passed a short hour. It is unlikely the characters will stay with me any longer than it took me to read but they did stay with me while I read - which is more than I can say of some longer novels recently!
Goodreads customer
Relationships

The going back and forth between the main characters Jane and Dash got a little confusing. Thus the rating of 3***. Love the relationship between the two. Is it too late to be true to yourself? Read their journey and find out.
Helen
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it
Eli
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The start of the book made me really dislike Dash -- I couldn't relate to her at all, her actions to save her career were very off-putting, and it took me almost the entire novella to warm up to her and start to like her.

I did like getting to know and learn about Jane, and the novella was very funny! I laughed and chuckled the whole way through.
Toni

• Paper Love
  • Sunsets and Shades
  • French Summer
  • Contract for Love
  • Sweat Equity (A LadyLuck Startups Romance Book 1)
  • Something About Us
  • Mother of the Bride
  • The Big Uneasy (Around the World, #2)
  • Pretend Girlfriend
  • Accidentally In Love
  • Wanting Her
  • Another Mother
  • Forbidden Fruit
  • Plus 1
I live in Virginia, where I am a writer and an editor. I also have a master's degree in deaf education. In my free time, I hike and savor frappuccinos.

News & Interviews