Start by marking “Bread and Milk and Salt” as Want to Read:
Bread and Milk and Salt

Bread and Milk and Salt

Not all things are built to obey…

Tor.com reprint of “Bread and Milk and Salt,” originally published in Robots vs. Fairies (edited by Dominik Parisien and Navah Wolfe, published by Saga Press, 2018).

ebook, Tor.com Online Fiction, 25 pages
Published November 7th 2018 by www.tor.com (first published January 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Milk and Salt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Milk and Salt

karen
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Come with me,” I said.

“Show me what you’re really like,” he said.

I shoved my wet black deer-nose into his palm. He hesitated, then ran his hand across my head. My fur was as soft as butter that night. He caressed my face, brushed the underside of my chin. I turned my face into his hand and breathed in the smell of his skin, his pulse. I closed my teeth around the pad of flesh at the base of his thumb and sank them in, biting down deep and hard and fast.

“What the fuck—” he cried out, but before
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This creepy short story, free online here at Tor.com, originally came from an anthology called Robots vs. Fairies. It does, in fact, contain both robots and (a) fairy. The fairy, who narrates this story, is of the whimsically cruel type who will kill you just for the fun of it. But just possibly this fairy has met their match in Peter, a human that the fairy has taken a deep, long-term interest in.

The fairy first sets eyes on Peter at a lake, when Peter is a toddler and the fairy is in the form
Miriam
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am perhaps dishonest.

Needless cruelty takes so many forms.
Lena
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lena by: Erik
71E6D262-7122-409F-B129-713EDE7CF946.jpg
Oooh yes give me that dark dark fantasy! This was a smart wicked story of unlikeable characters finding each other.
And the ending was perfection!
La Coccinelle
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, short-stories
I'm just not sure if I really like stories about fairies. This one was simply okay for me. It was really more about two horrible people getting what they deserve. From the beginning, we know our fairy narrator is hoping to steal the little boy named Peter. She (?) talks about all the horrible things she'd like to do to him, like a sadistic serial killer taking pleasure in their own gruesome creativity. But as Peter ages, he wises up to what this creature really is, and the tables get turned. Act ...more
Elahe Amini
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
both of them are equally horrible and deserve each other, I like that.
Erik
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Erik by: karen
This is a lovely short story that is deceptively deep. Be careful where you wade, the abyss lurks below the surface and is not easy to see.

I absolutely love the characters, as it comes down to some really subtle word play as to who is the actual villain. A sort of "Sympathy for the Devil" moment.

Thanks @Karen for the prompting review.

Here is how you get to read this:

A very enjoyable 4 Stars.
Melki
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will turn your face to alabaster
When you'll find your servant is your master
You'll be wrapped around my finger . . .

A tricky little fairy longs to possess a boy, and goes to great lengths to finagle her (his?) way into the child's life. But . . . regret soon follows when the fairy discovers the youth is not as innocent, and gullible, as he had seemed.

*Gordon Sumner
Kate
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Reminded me of a childhood crush turned marriage gone bad.
alexa
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
damn, this is good. a story of a violent fae and her prey turned on its head, with all the requisite violence and horror. read it here for free.
MollyK
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW

My favotite kind of short. One that packs so much deeper meaning, but is dark and leaves you a bit breathless in the end.
Alison
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been a while since I read a good short story and I forgot how much I enjoyed them.
If you, like me, were an avid fairytale fan as a child (I think I have read most of Enid Blyton's short story compilations about a dozen times each) then this is a great grownup throwback. Its quite dark, but plays well on the old trope of fairy creatures being quite a different sort of race to ours, with different motivations and goals that seem quite foreign, and having the perspective set from the fairy's
Avid Reader
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I read this powerful short story on my commute to work, on a bus surrounded by the noises and smells of other people. And still the atmosphere grabbed me. It would have been so much more suited to solitude on a dark and stormy evening, with candles flickering and a gusting wind against the window.

I loved it. Even on the bus.

Please, whatever you do, don’t take this one to book club or ask your 15 year old students to dissect it in class. You will kill the spirit. Just immerse yourself and enjoy t
Marco
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed the American Hippo series by this author and I was curious to read more of her work. Bread and Milk and Salt is a very different story that uses some of the fairy tales mythos while exploring violence and abuse. It is a great story, and I am looking forward reading more by Sarah Gailey.
This is the story of a fairy that meets a young boy, and try to kill him as good fairies do. Or so she says. Her actions seems to suggest otherwise: she keep following the boy as he grows up. I am left w
Alanah
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"...Humans who are used to being in charge forget quickly that not all things are built to obey."

Reading this was such a sea of shifing sympathies. I'm not sure if it's right to call Bread and Milk and Salt a psychological horror, but I want to. Empathy for the fairy and the human become brilliantly muddied in the arena of power and control.

I found Sarah Gailey's writing here really impressive because they managed to convey the fairy's mind so vividly yet mysteriously. Their imagery is so vibra
Bisquit
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, I certainly didn't expect that. I liked it a lot though. It's written from the point of view of a fairy, and not a very nice one on top of that. More like very cruel and at the same time innocent. And at times so clever.
Said fairy meets a young boy and wants him; thus the story begins.
rixx
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
[Bread and Milk and Salt](https://www.tor.com/2018/11/07/reprin...) by *Sarah Gailey* is a delightfully creepy and scary fairytale short story. It's online, so there's no excuse for not reading it – it's definitely worth it.
Pujashree
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
To clarify, I like the writing more than the story itself. It started out deliciously dark but took a turn for irredeemably sadistic and cruel.
Elna
Gorgeous and horrible.
Michelle
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'll need to pick up this collection as I really enjoyed this dark fairy tale. Slick revenge story.
Cecilia
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
Genuinely blown away. Just. Dude. I love it.
Joelle