Start by marking “Too Close” as Want to Read:
Too Close

Too Close

A haunting, edge-of-your-seat psychological thriller about a woman who has been institutionalized for a heinous crime, and the psychiatrist assigned to her case who must uncover the truth beneath the madness.

How close do you get before it’s too late…?

Working as a dedicated forensic psychiatrist for many years, Emma is not shocked so easily. Then she is assigned to work wit
Expected publication: July 30th 2019 by Harper Paperbacks

sue
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This is one hell of a read.

The blurb already tells us that something bad has happened. Something terrible.

And Connie is now in a psychiatric hospital being drugged up to the eyeballs remembering nothing.

But we get to know the character Connie and like her psychiatrist we learn there’s more depth to her.

But what about Ness.
Ness she met in the park one day, they clicked and became good friends. When Ness marriage breaks down its reasonable for her to turn to Connie isn’t it?
But Ness seems to be
Amanda
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Where do I start with this review to give this great book all the justice it deserves!!

When Connie is in the park with her daughter Annie she meets Ness who is also with her daughter and they become instant friends. The 2 families become 1 and when Ness splits up with her partner Leah, she spends all of her time at Connie’s. But Connie starts to feel suffocated by her.

We know at the beginning that something bad has happened to Connie, as she is in a psychiatric unit with no memory of how she got
Kim ~ Traveling Sister
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tour
Just imagine this. You wake up in a psychiatric facility (and it is not a posh star rehab one, mind you). You have no idea why you are there. You look in the mirror and you are shocked at your appearance. You have bald spots where your hair has been torn from your head, scars all over your body and your frame is nothing more than skeletal. How did you get in this state? You can't figure out why your family doesn't visit you and the staff members stare at you with a type of fascination as if look ...more
Lou
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too Close, Natalie Daniels's debut novel, is a tale of friendship, deceit, betrayal and mental illness and describing it as a thriller is inaccurate. That said, the author weaves an interesting yarn that was much more emotional and disturbing than is evident from the synopsis. However, the jumping back and forth between past and present with no prior warning has the potential to be confusing, although for me it worked like charm in ratcheting up the tension and creating a menacing atmosphere to ...more
Mandy White
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
This book really wasn't for me. It sounded like my kind of book from the blurb but it was not what I expected at all. All the female characters were unlikeable and annoying. The story dragged out and I really struggled with it. I was really looking forward reading it but was very disappointed and confused.

Thanks to Random House UK and NetGalley for the advanced copy of this book to read. All opinions are my own and are in no way biased
Julie Parks
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Meet your new perfect friend...almost MORE perfect than you. Is she really your friend or replacement? What can be worse, right?

This book is so twisty and devious in its plot that it's hard to comment on it not giving anything crucial away. It almost felt like more than one story in one book.

The thing I liked the most about this book was how atmospheric the house felt...the high ceilings, big rooms, long staircase...all the walls with all the things that have happened between them...all that bui
Mark
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Where to start with this one!
Frantic and Chaotic...I think that sums it up, also incredibly dark and ’raised eyes’ shocking at times!
Connie is in a psychiatric hospital and the story starts haphazardly throwing you in at various angles ie what’s her life like now? what was her life like before? why she is in there and intermingled with experts from
her daughters diary... add to this her psychotherapist Emma trying to get her to open up about things whilst herself having major issues.....its a tou
Shalini
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about this book which caused my head to spin, my brain to rattle in my skull trying to figure out what I feel?!!

The story of Connie was a total mind fuck. I felt sad at her betrayal, shocked at her actions and absolute anger, burning hot lava spewing out of me, against the man, the husband who was the root cause of evil, the philanderer. He escaped scot free, he got to eat his cake and have it too.

The book starts out as a thriller then gets a bit philosophical with the paragraphs
Karen
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5* (rounded up to 4)

When we first meet Connie and Ness it is in the park where their children are playing and they realise that they live nearby to each other. We next encounter Connie in a psychiatric hospital with horrific injuries. What on earth has happened.

Recounted mainly in the first person by Connie together with chapters from the perspective of Dr Emma Robinson, her psychiatrist. Emma has been assigned to her in order to encourage Connie to remember what happened. This is an intriguin
Adele Shea
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me gripped from start to finish. I have read over 150 books this year and this is most definitely in my top five.
This book highlights mental illness, how certain events in your life can send you down the road of self destruction. It also shows how you can become Too Close in a friendship.
Absolute brilliant read.
Claire
So when your main character wakes up in a psychiatric hospital with a memory loss, you know that the box of unreliable narrator is ticked straight away. What ensued was a dark and twisted look at family life slowly crumbling beyond repair.

Oh Connie, how did you let it all go so wrong?

I didn’t know whether to believe Connie or not. There is a massive elephant in the proverbial as I read. What drove Connie to do what she did? Was she mentally unstable or a victim of circumstance which I was yet to
Joanne Robertson
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a cover really calls to you and this one, showing the everyday normality of two takeaway coffee cups, really did call to me from the first moment I saw it. As a psychological thriller, it also had all the elements within those pages that I love with a darkly atmospheric setting, well drawn and often unlikeable characters and a trail of subtly placed breadcrumbs that lead to a twisty finish!

Women’s friendships can be lifelong and often life SAVING when they work well but often they can
Stephanie
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too Close wasn’t what I expected it to be. This isn’t a bad thing, because it is different to many other thrillers that I have read this year. It is crime fiction but it is approached differently. You see the thoughts of Connie who has been accused and judged by everybody. You also get to see what her psychiatrist is going through and I can understand fully why their friendship started. You also get to read Connie’s daughter Annie’s diary which added some humour to the narrative. Innocence is so ...more
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
I absolutely loved this book! A real page turner. Thrilling. Gripping. Tense. Edge of your seat story. You cannot tell this is a debut at all. The story switches back and forth between the past and present.

I did find some of the chapters were very long for my liking and it was a slow start for this story but then it gets good and you’re hooked. The story does highlight the issue of mental health! Enjoyed it. I also love the cover.

I awarded a fair four stars and would recommend. I look forward to
Book-Lover Book Blog
I feel awful for giving this book a 3 star when I really enjoyed it by the end, but some of the scenes were a little far-fetched, maybe even a little realistic. I also felt the story was unfinished. I mean, what Connie did was awful, yet by the end......?? Really? Also, I spent the majority of the books confused. Especially when it seemed to jump suddenly to different scenes before back tracking to before that scene. It was awfully confusing and I found it frustrating.

Apart from that, the story
Shelby
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ness and Connie came into each other’s lives 6 years ago. They met one afternoon in the park and they struck up a conversation. Connie and Ness have a lot in common: they both were writers, they both had two kids the same ages and they happened to live 4 houses down from each other. Ness had just moved into the neighborhood with her wife, Leah, and Connie figured her and her husband, Karl, could welcome them to the area.

The two families became intertwined. The kids became inseparable and the tw
Breakaway Reviewers
Best writing I have read in ages

Natalie Daniels is the pseudonym for Clara Salaman, an English actress well known for her roles in The Bill and EastEnders. If I could give more than 5 Stars I would. The quality of her writing is outstanding, and I could not put the book down. Her gritty, very moving account of a woman driven to the very brink of the precipice is so real and written with such humour that at times I laughed out loud.

Constance Mortenson is not your typical heroine, but in my eyes,
Aileen Mckenzie
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a confession to make. I didn’t read the blurb properly, just scanned it quickly and assumed I was getting another run of the mill “frenemy” thriller. Not that I was unhappy about that, sometimes I enjoy something predictable yet enjoyable, however within a few pages of Too Close I realised I had something a bit different here, as we find main character Connie in a mental hospital, with no recollection of how or why she is there. We know she has committed a crime that has earned her the ti ...more
Louise BookbestiesUK
I got this book for honest review from netgalley- it was in the mystery and thriller section- but what I read can't really be categorised into mystery? Or even thriller?

This book is mostly a tale of mental illness- which still remained at the end of the book very unexplored or explained.

The writing style was decent- which is why I awarded it 2.5 stars- but if i was rating the story on it's own merit- I would rate this 1 to 1.5 stars.

Connie is in the hospital- they are saying she's done someth
Maureen Moyes
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to reading this debut novel from Natalie Daniels as soon as I read the blurb.  Oh! I was fascinated! Too Close is a tense psychological family drama which had me gripped throughout.

Overall, I found the book to be quite dark and uncomfortable as the author weaves a shocker of a story that was very emotionally disturbing at times. It tells a story of friendship, betrayal, deceit and is a very tense read.

The scenes are very well written and you can imagine yourself there. The
Maureen Moyes

The scenes are very well written and you can imagine yourself there. The
Cassie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Connie Mortenson is a thoroughly modern woman. She has a career, children and a marriage that is a little stale. She meets Ness, another mother, in the park, she lives just around the corner, has a daughter the same age as Connie’s and before long they are best friends and living in each others pockets. They are in and out of each other’s homes, share holidays and their girls are also best friends.

Connie wakes up in a psychiatric hospital. She has been told that she has committed a truly awful
Nicola Smith
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tagline for this book asks "how close is too close?". Sometimes there are those friendships that completely implode because boundaries have been crossed and the people involved are, yes, too close.

Connie meets Ness one day when their children are playing in the park and from that day they are the best of friends. Their partners and children also become part of the friendship. But then things change for Ness and suddenly it impacts on Connie's own life, with disastrous consequences.

Early in t
Zoe McKain
peggy
Connie and Ness meet in a park and become firm friends, even their own children get along. Things change when Ness is facing divorce. Connie is sympathetic and supportive but Ness is becoming draining, everywhere Connie turns there is Ness. Until one day Connie wakes up in a psychiatric hospital being told that she has committed a serious crime. It is now up to Connie's psychiatrist Emma to find out what happened on that fateful day. There are so many twists and turns. It was a real page turner ...more
Nikki
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too Close by Natalie Daniels for me was a 2.5 star at the most.
The blurb of this book was fantastic and immediately grabbed my attention, as soon as I started reading it I thought this book is going to be great and then it fell flat. The book opens with Connie and Ness meeting at a playground with their 3 year old daughters and then tells the beginning of their friendship but it quickly jumps 6 years and we find Connie in a psychiatric hospital not knowing how or why she was there, through her
Oriana Blyth (_head_in_a_book)
This book was absolutely magnificent!! It was so fast paced that I couldn’t put it down. I loved the twist and turns throughout, and I was absolutely gripped from start to finish!!!! I can’t wait to read more from this author
Glynis
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel set off on a high but sadly got bogged down in dialogue. It had a great deal of potential but wasn’t for me.
Vivienne
My thanks to Random House U.K. and Transworld Digital for an eARC via NetGalley of this tense psychological suspense/family drama.

I am reluctant to say too much about the plot as with this kind of novel it’s much more satisfying to read without prior expectations and allow the characters to reveal the events that have led them to this point.

The narrative moves between Connie, who is an in-patient in a secure psychiatric hospital and is unable to recall why she’s there (though her appearance sugg
Susan Angela Wallace
Too close by Natalie Daniels.
This was a good read. I liked the story. I liked connie and dr r I wasn't sure why she was in there myself so I kept reading. A sad and moving story. 4*.
  • I, Witness (Madison Attallee, #1)
  • When I Find You
  • The Rival
  • Finding Grace
  • The Warning
  • The Stillwater Girls
  • Fairy Blues (Songs of Magic, #2)
  • The Perfect Victim (Sophie Kent #2)
  • In Your Light
  • No Further Questions
  • The Arrangement
  • Treason's Tide  (Archives of the Comptrollerate-General for Scrutiny and Survey, #1)
  • The Twins (The Twins #1)