Start by marking “De reizigers” as Want to Read:
De reizigers

De reizigers

Sarah en haar kleindochter Hannah maken een cruise van Californië naar Australië. Sarah keert terug naar haar geboorteland, waar ze niet meer is geweest sinds ze in 1945 aan boord stapte van de USS Mariposa. Samen met vele andere oorlogsbruiden stak zij dat jaar de Stille Oceaan over, om te worden herenigd met de Amerikaanse soldaten waarmee zij tijdens de oorlog trouwden. ...more
Paperback, 1e druk, 320 pages
Published November 2018 by A.W. Bruna (first published February 21st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about De reizigers, please sign up.
Kerie Raymond Hi Eleanor, I met a friend of yours from school in the US who has visited with you who told me about you and your books. I'm originally from Melbourne…moreHi Eleanor, I met a friend of yours from school in the US who has visited with you who told me about you and your books. I'm originally from Melbourne and now live in Bend, OR. I've tried to get your books in the US and into our local library without success. The ebook version seems to be available on Overdrive and in some libraries in the US. So I'll try and order online from Aust or get a friend to buy it and send it from Aust. Can't wait to read your books. (less)

Start your review of De reizigers
Phrynne
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
This was an enjoyable, well written book which I read pretty much in a single session without ever feeling the need to put it down. A good book therefore and well worth 4 stars.

Just four though because there was an issue. Is anyone else also getting tired of having two timelines in the same book? It just seems to be in every book these days and for me it is wearing thin. It does work when both time lines are equal in interest but sadly for me this did not happen in this book.

My interest was all
Nat K
”It’s hard to believe I am here. That I have finally returned. As the ship came through the craggy cliffs of the heads and into Sydney Harbour at dawn…

It is all too much, even just hearing the familiar accent… I am taut to bursting with the present and past, all of it mixing within me, every sound and smell bringing up what it was I left behind.”

”Memory is a strange creature, no doubt about that, for it can shove things behind the bureau for years and then suddenly they pop out like a
Sharon
Historical fiction was a genre that I didn't read a lot of, but over the last few years that has certainly varied and it's become one of my favourite genres. Like most historical fiction novels, The Passengers has a dual timeline that alternates between past and present, which was done exceedingly well in my opinion.

Hannah and her grandmother Sarah are on a cruise ship from San Diego, California to Sydney Australia. During their trip Sarah tells Hannah the story of her life and it is here where
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Life is certainly a voyage, of which we are simply passengers, is the meaningful message behind Eleanor Limprecht’s new novel, titled The Passengers. This evocative war-time, crossed with present day journey, conveys messages of the importance of family, second chances, the past, secrets, love, pride and hope. The Passengers is a heartfelt testament and a beautifully rendered tale that combines the experiences of two different women, from
Theresa Smith
I so enjoyed this novel, The Passengers by Eleanor Limprecht. As you all know, historical fiction is my favourite, with war stories topping my preference within the genre, particularly ones that explore the lives of those living alongside war (as opposed to fighting in it), either at the home front, or in an invaded country. I guess this qualifies loosely as both: Australia being the home front that was invaded by American Servicemen to aid in the protection of our shores. This story orbits ...more
Marianne
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I wore my canary yellow pencil skirt and jacket of light wool, with my best stockings and a pair of low-heeled black pumps. Folded on top of my suitcase in the rack above my seat was my cream belted coat, my matching hat and in the coat pocket a pair of black leather gloves. I wore my nicest things, for wherever I went I would be making an impression upon strangers, and I did not want them to guess what I knew about myself: that I was lost now. Far from safety, far from home.”

The Passengers is
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
In Eleanor Limprecht’s captivating novel, The Passengers, a young woman is accompanying her grandmother from America to Australia after an absence of 68 years.

The narrative shifts smoothly between the present day, as the women journey on the cruise ship, and the past, as Sarah reminisces about her life.

“But Sydney isn’t home, love. Never was. Home is the farm we lost when I was sixteen.”

Hannah is fascinated by Sarah’s candid stories of her childhood on a dairy farm, her move to Sydney, her
Kali Napier
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aww2018
I loved this book. The writing and story structure are elegant, and I was emotionally invested in the characters of Sarah and her granddaughter Hannah, as they both undertake voyages that required immense leaps of faith. The storylines interweave, with Sarah relating her memories of her voyage from Sydney to Virginia as a WW2 war bride. The historical detail here is deep and illuminating, and I really felt the nerves that so many thousands of women must have experienced, leaving behind their ...more
Kate Forsyth
A young woman and her grandmother travel on a cruise together from the USA to Australia. For Sarah, it is a journey to the country of her birth, a place she has not seen since she left as a war bride in the 1940s. For Hannah, it is a chance to leave behind old hurts and discover a new land. Each tell their own story, in their own voices, each regretting mistakes they have made and people they have left behind.

Sarah’s story begins as a girl on a diary farm in New South Wales. Times are hard, and
Cass Moriarty
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In her novel The Passengers (Allen & Unwin Books 2018), Eleanor Limprecht uses the historical inspiration of the war brides of the 1940’s to deftly weave a tale of two women, both struggling in different ways with their past actions and their sense of identity.
Moving between the present and the past, the narrative takes us on two sea journeys across the world, seventy years apart. Sarah and her granddaughter Hannah are sailing from San Diego in California to Sydney, Australia, a country
Andrea
3.5 for an interesting premise, well-executed.

Hannah is accompanying her grandmother, Sarah, on a cruise from San Diego to Sydney, so that widowed Sarah can visit the homeland she last saw 68 years earlier. As they cross the Pacific, Sarah gradually tells Hannah the story of her life (some of it known, and some details revealed for the first time), including how she came to be a war-bride, and the secrets of her early years in the United States. Hannah has some secrets of her own, and by the
Hannah
I wanted this to be an enjoyable, easy-reading historical novel. And it started out that way. But in the end I only liked about a quarter of this book.

The story of Sarah’s journey to a new life in America was wonderful, and told with vivid description. There was an ease and lightness to the writing - the author knew what she was doing here. The “bride ships” that set sail from Australia headed to America at the end of the Second World War was something I knew little about and I’m quite amazed
Kathryn
I didn’t know much about the war brides who went over to the States after the war, although a cousin of my grandmothers had been a war bride. It was interesting to read Sarah’s experience, and I enjoyed the cruise ship setting of the current day story. I’m now thinking of reading Jojo Moyes’ Ship of Brides for another war brides perspective.

I wasn’t quite so interested in Hannah’s storyline - the present-day story - as I felt it paled a little in comparison with Sarah’s.

This was a fairly easy
Catherine Rowntree
I loved it. Easy to read and so well researched around that time period. You can really feel Sarah's emotions as she goes off into the unknown. How brave all those war brides must have been. A must read!
Lauren Chater
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a touching and beautiful novel about the passage of time, the choices we make and the way those decisions return to haunt us throughout our lives. Sarah and Hannah, two generations apart, are traveling to Sydney on a passenger liner. As Sarah shares the stories of her youth, from her childhood in Australia to the years spent raising a family on a farm in the United States, Hannah, her granddaughter, struggles to make sense of her place in the world and determine whether she can find ...more
Debbie Robson
As the author of a GI romance inspired by a real life love story - Newcastle girl meets US Serviceman, I was very interested to read The Passengers. I was forewarned by a number of reviews (where readers didn’t like the character Hannah) but found as I got into the novel that I didn’t mind her part in the story. What I had problems with was Roy and the lack of information about his war service.
There was mention of service in the Philippines which immediately threw me as the majority of the US
Lesley Moseley
2 1/2 rounded up as I actually read all of it. Well, what a simple, story, simply written. Might be better rated YA. The 'traumas' that they all suffered seemed very light-weight, to me.
Jo Eales
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a heart warming story that was so easy to read. There are a lot books around with dual timelines and I really loved the way Eleanor Limprecht linked them through the back and forth of the storytelling between grandmother and granddaughter.
Kim (hundredacreofbooks.com)
A cruise ship departing San Diego to Australia; onboard Sarah, grandmother and granddaughter, Hannah. One headed home after 68 years away, the other in search of a place in the world in which she is in control, but more importantly, a place in which all her past hurts can be left behind, even if just for the duration of this trip.

I really enjoyed the fact that this story was told from the two different viewpoints of Sarah and Hannah, and how easily it flowed between the two without any
Ashleigh
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come on my blog closer to release date.
Amra Pajalic
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ozauthor
Sarah was a war bride who travelled to America on a cruise ship to meet the husband she met and married during the second world war. Now she's returning to Australia on a cruise ship with her grand-daughter Hannah, and as they travel she tells her grand-daughter the story of her life. This is a story about family secrets and the toll they take. A story about learning from previous generations. And a great insight into history. I loved it.
Stefe
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The initial chapters of The Passengers kept me interested, but then it seemed to taper off. I was tempted to DNF but kept reading because I’ve always been interested in the stories of Australian war brides and their experiences in foreign countries . Unfortunately the author seemed to skim over this part. I feel the secondary story of the granddaughter was superfluous and the book would have been better if the author had concentrated on the main character.
Angela Pickett
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful story about Sarah, a war bride returning to Australia for the first time in over 60 years with her granddaughter Hannah. As they travel from the US, we are told Sarah’s story and learn about Hannah’s story.

I found this a really easy and engaging read and while I felt there was a lot more detail in the early years, I demolished it in a day and found myself in tears by the end.

Thanks to Allen & Unwin for my copy - a prize for sharing a memorable journey via Instagram
Lynne
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the narrative, and the insights into what it might have been like to be the Australian war bride to a US serviceman, but I didn’t feel involved with the lives of the two main characters and there were times when I was confused as to which voice was speaking. Worth a read though, nevertheless.
Tianne Shaw
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
I was lucky to have this as an arc. It was lovely two people 2 different journeys one a War Bride the other dealing with many inner turmoils of her own. How one discovers the others hurts is the central joining here.
Deborah Roussety
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found it a very interesting read...
Chris
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Passengers is an intergenerational historical novel set in both the tail end of World War Two and the present day. It is Australian-based Limprecht’s third book. Her other novels, What Was Left and Long Bay, feature women in situations where they feel trapped. The Passengers doesn’t disappoint on that front. Written entirely in first person from the points of view of two female members of the same family, seventy years apart, it explores the complexity of family relationships and changing ...more
S.C. Karakaltsas
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I was filled with sadness but more importantly hope when I finished this book. Sadness because I wanted more. Hope, because in the end I wanted the best for the characters of Sarah and especially her granddaughter Hannah. These two characters’ sail halfway around the world from America to Australia so that Sarah can be reunited with the family she left as a war bride to begin a new life in America. Her granddaughter Hannah accompanies her and we are privy not only to the unfolding of Sarah’s
Helen O'Toole
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this lovely novel thoroughly deserves five stars. There was so much that was familiar to me especially in reminiscences of Sarah, the Australian war bride. The descriptions of their very tough life on a dairy farm and how the family was forced to leave it all during The Great Depression were eerily similar to experiences of my own family.
Eleanor Limprecht has a true gift for describing conversations and the ones between Sarah's parents captured the sheer weariness and lack of joy that
Patrick
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Passengers is a superbly crafted novel. Beautifully constructed and Limprecht moves seamlessly chapter by chapter swapping between her two main characters (all told in the first person).

The Passengers is amongst the best novels I have ever read. And timely too. I had just read a series of novels which were most disappointing. Second rate really. So I was about to return to reading biographies and the like and avoid novels. Enter Limprecht's masterpiece. I discovered her books after reading
« previous 1 3 next »

• Khaki Town
  • The Forgotten Letters of Esther Durrant
  • The Fragments
  • The Woman in the Green Dress
  • The Pearler's Wife
  • Little Gods
  • The Last Train
  • Suitcase of Dreams (The Girl from Munich #2)
  • The Yellow Villa
  • The Sisters' Song
  • Silver
  • Taking Tom Murray Home
  • The Lace Weaver
“And I think about what it is to be too old and how I don't want to get there and wish I had spent my life feeling happier with what I'd had, rather than always feeling bad about what I'd done.” 0 likes
“it. I didn’t understand the sheer terror that comes with having children, the possibility of losing something much more important than yourself. The love so deep it defies logic, knowledge or reason.” 0 likes