Start by marking “Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3)” as Want to Read:
Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3)

Voyage of the Basilisk

(The Memoirs of Lady Trent #3)

Devoted readers of Lady Trent’s earlier memoirs, A Natural History of Dragons and The Tropic of Serpents, may believe themselves already acquainted with the particulars of her historic voyage aboard the Royal Survey Ship Basilisk, but the true story of that illuminating, harrowing, and scandalous journey has never been revealed—until now. Six years after her perilous explo ...more
Audible Audio
Published May 5th 2016 by Whole Story Audiobooks (first published March 27th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Voyage of the Basilisk, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Raj
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Brandon St Mark You could, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are a lot of relationships that you probably wouldn't understand and events that are referenced to that …moreYou could, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are a lot of relationships that you probably wouldn't understand and events that are referenced to that you wouldn't know about it.

But really, the first two books are amazing, you should really give them a try!(less)

Start your review of Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3)
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
I’m happy to say that Voyage of the Basilisk was a combination of everything I’ve been hoping to see since the beginning of the series. The foremost of which being the heavy focus on dragons (and not all the other crap she included in the first book… although a lot of that is now becoming relevant, so I’m kind of eating my words). I especially appreciated the infusion of fantasy, naturalism, and archaeology into this adventure.

I feel like I’m living vicariously through the main character, and am
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/03/24/b...

In the interest of full disclosure, I majored in Anthropology and Evolutionary Biology so these books are like super-strength catnip to me. Written in the form of a memoir by the venerable Lady Trent, these novels are adventurous tales about our protagonist when she was a younger woman, but just as importantly they also explore her lifetime of scientific study and research. As such, I find this series extremely hard to res
Sanaa
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4 Stars] Decided to give this a 4 afterall. It isn't as strong as the others but still fascinating. I loved the intriguing exploration of gender, sexuality, and gender norms in this in particular. This series is definitely for those who love anthropology, archaeology, and dragons!
Bradley
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2020-shelf
These Lady Trent novels are consistently interesting.

I admit I was becoming slightly afraid that the political intrigues might overwhelm the otherwise cool archeological or evolutionary science bits, but this book turned it around for me.

A voyage on the high seas! Spending a lot of time with Pacific Islanders! Getting married? lol, well, that was a blast. And let's not forget the dragon spirit!

Lite fun, it's very much in the spirit of tweed adventurers around the world! Academic fury! Dragons!

Kaitlin
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always another fabulous book here from Marie Brennan. I think this one wasn't quite on par with the previous two as there was a little less of a plot until the second half, but there is still so much that is truly wonderful and heartwarming with this series that I can't give it less than a 4*s.

This instalment of the series was really interesting to me becuase we follow Isabella as she and her son (now 9!!) and good friends go on a voyage around the world to study dragons. We see the ship (Th
Miranda Reads
description

Another month, another tierlist! While you probably know where this one ranks, check out the BookTube Video to see the rest!
The Written Review:

description

Good manners warred with curiosity, and lost.
Freshly back from her journey to the Tropic of Serpents, Lady Trent finds herself tempted by a two-year trip around the world.

The reason? Dragons.

And while many a person would object to a lady (gasp) wanting to further the field of science (double gasp), Lady Trent refuses to back d
Nicky
I think, the first time I read this, I may have observed that it’s beginning to push the bounds of credulity that Isabella (and dragons) should get tangled up in so much politics. I can’t say I actually noticed that, this time — it seems natural, when you just read the books straight through like this, because Isabella is willing to go anywhere and do just about anything for dragons. And of course, that means she’s in the least appropriate places for someone of her background (at least as far as ...more
Katie
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as strong as the first two but it's getting 4 stars instead of three mostly for its exploration of gender and indigenous culture
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
This series is basically dragons x Jane from Tarzan; in short = g r e a t n e s s
Jessica
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own, dragons
Lady Trent! What shocking shenanigans you do get into!

I loved that that this one was a take on "Darwin on the Beagle" as it were, but I do wish the politics were a bit easier to follow. I almost need a primer and full maps of the entire world at the beginning of each of these, in order to keep up! She's got such a lot going on in these books, with both the dragons and the humans!

Nevertheless, it was a joy to follow Isabella, her stoic colleague Tom (if these two don't end up in each other's arm
Christine PNW
I had been awaiting this one with enthusiasm because Charles Darwin’s Voyage of the Beagle has always enthralled me. I’m not particularly a ship/boat person, but the idea of a scientist travelling ’round the world studying the natural world is extremely appealing to me. So, this book would be, I hoped, the opportunity to read of such a fictional voyage.

A cross-section view of the hold of The Beagle

It was quite a satisfying tale, although there wasn’t quite as much travelling as I had hope
Nicky
I originally received this as an ARC, but then bought it anyway because I wanted a print copy so I could look at the illustrations better. I ate this up in a couple of hours. If you’ve enjoyed the previous books, this will give you more of the same: adventures, a female main character with a bright and scientific mind, interesting problems of taxonomy when it comes to dragons, politics, encounters with other cultures…

It very much mimics the style of memoirs written in the analogous time period i
Brooke
Even though there were parts that I still really loved, I think this was my least favorite so far. Brennan does a great job of building this world and the dragons seem so real, but in this installment there were several moments that were rushed and others that dragged.

But I still think this is a great series for those trying to get more into fantasy!
All Things Urban Fantasy
THE VOYAGE OF THE BASILISK is Lady Trent's most thrilling adventure to date. With little of grinding misogyny that peppered earlier books, here Isabella takes to the seas with her research fellow Tom, her son Jake, and a stalwart captain mad enough to hunt sea serpents in their natural habitat.

Once again, Brennan offers the daily realities of biology at the turn of the century, as much hunting and politics and anthropology as it is studying natural phenomena. Those Machiavellian obstacles don't
imyril
This is my favourite Lady Trent to date, shamelessly pandering to me with archaeologists, diving bells, monolithic statues, and things I can't mention without even bigger spoilers. It's a thrill ride of adventures at sea with a grumpy sea captain and charming new companions - and we get to meet young Jake to boot. All the feelings, lots of fun and excellent new mysteries.

Full review to follow.

4.5 stars. I think. Just so much fun!
Marielle
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-own
I write down my thoughts later... I'm picking up the next one immediately!
Rachel Brown
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The continued adventures of Lady Isabella Trent, Victorian explorer and DRAGON NATURALIST. In this volume, Isabella sails around the world on the appropriately named Basilisk, accompanied by her young son Jake, an underwater archaeologist named Suhail, and other companions.

I enjoyed this the most of the series so far. It strikes a perfect balance between action and exploration. Isabella has matured enough to be interesting in a different way from the monomaniac of the first book: still obsessiv
YouKneeK
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Voyage of the Basilisk is the third book in the Memoirs of Lady Trent series. Similar to the second book, there were some slow spots. However, the author makes up for them with the “fast spots”. I think she writes adventure and action scenes very well.

These are fun, light, and quick reads. Unlike the impression one might get from the title of the first book, A Natural History of Dragons, there isn’t much science. Or fantasy for that matter. There are some descriptions of the dragons, and of cou
A Reader in Time
This series is just a comfort read for me that I just love. The characters are amazing, the plot is so fun and adventurous and I LOVE the amount of dragons in this, it is SO fun!! Highly recommend and I can't wait to read the next in the series.
Vanessa
This series keeps getting better and better.

Here we are in book 3 of Marie Brennan’s Lady Trent Memoirs with VOYAGE OF THE BASILISK and our heroine, Isabella Camherst, is sent on an expedition to research dragons on sea and on land. Along for the ride is her young son Jacob; Jacob’s nanny Abigail; and Tom, Isabella’s research partner.

With Isabella on board, they are bound for an adventure.

The voyage starts out as scheduled, they find their first sea dragon, and observe the beast…more close-up th
Jessica Strider
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pros: excellent world-building, fun protagonist, quick read

Cons: ending felt rushed

This is the third volume of Isabella, Lady Trent’s memoirs and deals with the 2 year research voyage she took on the RSS Basilik. With her she brings Tom, who accompanied her on previous journeys, her nine year old son, Jake, and his governess, Abby.

As with the other books in this series, this is a character driven fantasy novel, following the extraordinary adventures of a female dragon researcher from Scirland. W
Derpa
Nov 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-love, series
I give up. This series is deteriorating very fast and I can't be arsed to go on. This is a year when I just don't have the energy and time to go on with things like this, so I have quite a few DNF books and I think it's fine.

My issue with the series is the protagonist. As much as she was fine in the first book, she is becoming more and more of a person I can't stand.
Isabella is spoilt. Of course now people will say nope, she isn't, she goes out to the jungles and oceans and mountains to study
Sarah Heilman
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic volume in the memoirs of Lady Trent! I am just on a streak of fantasy books lately that involve ships and sailing and the like, so this was great. I can say now with this third book that each one in this series is pretty self-contained and episodic. I wouldn’t recommend reading them out of order though, because there are references to previous events and people.

I just love Brennan’s writing style and Isabella Camherst as a character. This really reads like a memoir. I think it
DJ
3.5/5 Rating: Originally posted at https://mylifemybooksmyescape.wordpre...

I want to ride a dragon-turtle!

For some reason (unknown to me) I love and are instantly drawn to books that involve any type of wooden ship sea-voyages, or explorations in exotic/foreign lands that involve interactions with the natives. Naturally, it is out of my power that I would be attracted to this series.

The third installment of Lady Trent's memoirs takes us on an exciting voyage across the seas and to isolated lands
Marina
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second Reading Review:

The Voyage of the Basilisk is the third book in the Memoir by Lady Trent series, the first of which is The Natural History of Dragons.

The book is a little slow to start as the characters - Isabella, Tom, and this time her son Jack, and his nanny Abby, set off on an adventure around the world. They meet new characters and make new friends, including Suhail. And while I was glad for Suhail's appearance, he unfortunately rendered Tom to an almost secondary character. However,
Small Review
Originally posted on Small Review

The series in general (no spoilers)

Ah, there's something so satisfying about a consistent series. I always know what to expect with the Lady Trent books, and thankfully, Voyage of the Basilisk stuck with the same tried and true formula.

Fans of the first two books can rest assured that this third installment is more of the same, and I mean that in a good way. Isabella embarks on another journey to another excitingly untamed part of the world to continue her study
Raven
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, novels, dragons
I don't know why this book seems deserved the 5 stars I gave while the previous two books only 4. They're not that different with their multiple conflicts and resolutions. Maybe because of Suhail. Maybe because the plot thickens. Maybe just because I love the plot twist more.

I imagined the voyage of the Basilisk is not much different with how Charles Darwin sailed around the world and building his theory of evolution, only that the passengers were more interesting. You have Isabella: a woman--a
BellaGBear
Really I love practical Lady Trent and her quest for the knowledge of dragons. This book tells about another exiting part of her life. This one tells about sea dragons. Really love to know more about the dragons with every part of this series.

Also loving what Marie Brennan does with feminism and the question of gender in this series, and particulary in this book (I am not going to say more, because it would spoil the story).

And that action scene towards the ending was also simply brilliant! This
Kitvaria Sarene
Another amazing adventure! This time we're on a sea voyage, so we see a lot more of the world. We meet new main characters, and new jobs of drakes. Of course there's also done desasters that make for an interesting plot and change the plots direction.
I am still absolutely in love with Isabellas voice and can't get enough of traveling around the world with her! She is so matter of fact and witty, I really wish I could spend a day with her.
I can only repeat myself - this is a really fantastic seri
Rebecca
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really fun. I definitely enjoyed it a lot more than the second book in the series. This one just set off for adventure from the start and there was so much going on. The dragons were interesting, the archaeology aspects were interesting and there was even an element of humour which I really enjoyed. I just really enjoy this series. I'm really looking forward to the next book in the series.

• Valour and Vanity (Glamourist Histories, #4)
  • The Sinister Mystery of the Mesmerizing Girl (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #3)
  • Without a Summer (Glamourist Histories, #3)
  • The Forest God
  • Ten Excerpts From an Annotated Bibliography on the Cannibal Women of Ratnabar Island
  • Sorcerer to the Crown (Sorcerer Royal, #1)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1)
  • Glamour in Glass (Glamourist Histories, #2)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Splinters of Scarlet
  • Stormsong (The Kingston Cycle, #2)
  • The Empire of Gold (The Daevabad Trilogy, #3)
  • Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #2)
  • We Interrupt This Broadcast
  • Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • City of Night (The House War, #2)
Marie Brennan a.k.a. M.A. Carrick

Marie Brennan is a former anthropologist and folklorist who shamelessly pillages her academic fields for material. She recently misapplied her professors' hard work to Turning Darkness Into Light, a sequel to the Hugo Award-nominated series The Memoirs of Lady Trent. As half of M.A. Carrick, she is also the author of The Mask of Mirrors, first in the Rook and Rose

The Memoirs of Lady Trent (5 books)
  • A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
  • The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #2)
  • In the Labyrinth of Drakes (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4)
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #5)