Start by marking “After the End” as Want to Read:
After the End

After the End

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  7,261 ratings  ·  1,231 reviews
Max and Pip are the strongest couple you know. They're best friends, lovers—unshakable. But then their son gets sick and the doctors put the question of his survival into their hands. For the first time, Max and Pip can't agree. They each want a different future for their son.

What if they could have both?

A gripping and propulsive exploration of love, marriage,
Kindle Edition, UK Edition, 384 pages
Published June 25th 2019 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about After the End, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lynne I found this book to be completely confusing! I didn’t understand what really happened “after” and the ending? What actually happened? I felt so…moreI found this book to be completely confusing! I didn’t understand what really happened “after” and the ending? What actually happened? I felt so discombobulated when I finished reading this book...like I was left hanging on a cliff…nothing was resolved or clear?! I typically love her books, but this one not so much. Any help with my confusion would be appreciated!(less)

·  7,261 ratings  ·  1,231 reviews

Start your review of After the End
Deanna
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!

"After the End" was a novel Clare Mackintosh had been wanting to write for more than a decade. Twelve years ago, Clare and her husband had to make an extremely difficult decision. Ever since they have questioned whether or not they made the right choice.

I knew this was going to be quite different from the author's previous novels, but I was excited to read it.

I thought this was an excellent read!

Parents often have
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

This was an incredibly hard book to read and an even harder book to review. I have waited a few days to let my thoughts settle and have decided to try and write this review to help others decide if it’s something they would like to read.

I had read Ms. Macintosh’s thrillers and really loved them. I knew what this book was about but it was more thought provoking and heartbreaking than I had imagined. As you know from the blurb, two young parents disagree on the decision of
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-m-intrigued
Three point five rounded up four but I still have my deep concerns about this book because this is not what I expected stars…

I know this writer is genius, I know what she has dome to me when I was reading “I let you go”! I talked gibberish for one week at least and lost my face expressions, looked like a botox addict after her big twist punched me several times, so this is not the surprising, smartly written book I desired and wished to read!

I confessed, as soon as I read this first half of
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This is not a mystery/thriller!

Holy boredom. Look I went into this thinking it was the same genre as the other books from the author but it's a contemporary. I don't know why others have categorized it otherwise but it definitely didn't help me enjoy this.

Two parents can't agree about what to do with their terminally ill child. One wants to try more treatment no matter what, the other to let them go. They go to court and the second half of the book shows you the different outcome.

An interesting
Kaceey
All five heartbreaking stars
This was such an emotional read. So much so, I actually thought of walking away after only the very first chapter. I just didn’t think I could endure the journey. I left it for the night and in the morning, took a deep breathe, told myself “buck-up, you’re stronger than this!” I tapped my kindle to start chapter 2 and I’m so very glad I did.

“You cannot feel grief without first feeling love, and now my heart is filled with both.”

Pip and Max need to face the hardest
*TUDOR^QUEEN*
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Putnam's Sons / Penguin Publishing Group for providing an advance reader copy via Edelweiss.

The premise of this book lured me in immediately. The story takes place in England where they have the National Health Service (NHS). The parents of almost three year old Dylan Adams, who has a cancerous brain tumor, are just told that the hospital recommends no further treatment; just comfort (palliative) care. The mother has accepted that devastating assessment, but the father insists on
Debra
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Parenting is hard. I think every parent might have experienced time in the upbringing of his/her child where they do not agree upon something with the child's other parent be it, curfew, discipline, when to have a cell phone, etc. But what happens when you are faced with the ultimate decision? What happens when your child gets sick? When your child has a terminal disease. Do you prolong his life to only face the inevitable? Do you allow him to pass away with comfort and care? How do you decide? ...more
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
5+ stars!

Heart-wrenching. Thought-provoking. Emotion-stirring. This has earned a spot on my Favourites List.

One of the most emotional, hard hitting and gut wrenching books I’ve ever read. Pip and Max face a decision that is every parents worst nightmare. Whether to continue treatment for their brain damaged, critically ill two-year-old son or take him off life support to end his suffering. How can one choose? What happens when the parents don’t agree on the decision?

I am emotionally exhausted
JanB
What a nightmare to be told your child is terminal with no hope of recovery. How can you make decisions when every cell in your body doesn’t want to let your precious child die, but regardless of the decisions made, your child will die. It’s just a matter of when. What makes a life worth living? Who decides?

The dilemma of such a heartbreaking decision is one the author and her husband faced after their infant son had a massive brain hemorrhage. It’s obvious she’s intimately familiar with the
Liz
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper-arc

I received this as a paper arc from Goodreads back in spring, but it’s taken me until now to read it. It’s not an easy book. Whether you’re a parent or not, you can’t help but be drawn in by this incredibly sad story of two parents dealing with their three year old son’s brain cancer. It will have you thinking what would you do in the same situation.

The book would make a fascinating book club discussion, because the parents do not agree on what to do once traditional treatments fail. “I thought
Jayme
Oh, I hope I can do this beautiful book justice!

This is the story of Max and Pip- two parents who love each other but who love their son Dylan more.

Dylan has a tumor which could not be completely removed, and it is growing again. His brain damage is irreparable, and if he lives, he will not walk or talk, or be able to communicate his needs.

Max and Pip must decide if they should explore a treatment which will NOT cure him, but MAY extend his life..or allow the Doctors to provide only comfort
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Tragic. I am mush. My heart is aching . This book is gut-wrenching and incredibly compelling. Experience all the feels stretched beyond the limits you ever thought possible....it will bring you to your knees just reading the story.
Mackintosh wrote this novel undoubtedly insightful with uttermost care yet as real as it ever could be.
THIS will go on my 5 book list of 2019.

My time of reading any kind of self-help books has gained interest and flourished in my twenties, peaked for a few years
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
It took me a while to find the courage to read After The End. When I did, I read it when the house was quiet and it was mostly just me at home so I could be left alone with my thoughts for this one. Once I started, I read it in less than 24 hours and it was all I thought about for a while. Then, it took me a while to find the courage to write this review and then longer to find the words to write.

After The End is a heartbreaking, painful issue-driven story that explores an unthinkable,
Amanda
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I read a book by Claire Mackintosh I know to clear my day and get comfortable,as I will not be able to put her book down and won’t be disappointed!!

Max and Pippa have a son Dylan who they adore. Sadly Dylan is diagnosed as having a brain tumour ,which couldn’t be removed during surgery and caused brain damage which will leave him unable to walk or talk.

Max and Pippa have the dreadful decision whether to opt for further treatment which may lengthen his life but not cure him or to allow
Susanne  Strong
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

A family torn apart during an impossible time. Palliative care or alternative treatment? That is the question.

Max and Pip’s three year old son Dylan is sick. He has cancer and has developed an inoperable brain tumor. His doctor in London recommends palliative care, to which his mother, Pip agrees and his father, Max does not - as he would like Dylan to get alternative treatment at a facility in Houston, Texas.

Seeing as neither parent can come to an agreement it is up to the court to
Louise Wilson
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max and Pip have a toddler called Dylan. Sadly he has been diagnosed with a brain tumour, of which surgeons could not remove all off. Then they are given the devastating news that the Timor is growing again. There is nothing more the surgeons can do but give him palliative care and make sure that he is pain free. Max, not wanting to give up on his son, researches the disease hoping to find a cure for his son. He finds that it can be treated in America. But first he has to take the hospital to ...more
Liz Barnsley
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know where to start with a review at the moment - reading this so early gives me the opportunity to not have to say too much as yet so nearer publication I will attempt to write a full review and make it count.

I can't even begin to imagine what it took to write this but After The End is incredible. Just that. The sheer weight of emotion in it is astounding, beautiful even in heartache and it offers a perspective and ultimately a choice for the reader that makes you think, really
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Have you ever heard about Charlie Gard? I thought so much about that poor baby during reading this book. Couldn't help thinking Mackintosh was inspired by that real life event but I have learned sadly Claire Mackintosh herself lost a child so really felt for her during reading this book and how brave of her to write about this difficult subjects.. Turning her own experience into an eye opening read is definitely worth congratulating.

This book is about a terminally ill child and her parents: Pip
Marialyce
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
So many people, including this author have lost a child. It is a heart wrenching experience that one never truly recovers from. Your heart is broken, your life is empty, and for some the trauma of this breaks apart everything they held dear and loved and such was the case with the protagonists of the book After the End.

Pip and Max are a successful couple. They have a firm marriage and a son they adore. Life seems wonderful until fate deals them a card that is devastating and cruel. For their
NZLisaM
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jodi Picoult fans, eat your heart out!

When it comes to writing a compelling, engaging, insightful story, Claire Mackintosh can do no wrong in my book, and even though I knew going in that this was going to be completely different from her usual domestic suspense thrillers (which I love) I was still desperate for the chance to read it.

After the End is the story of a terminally-ill toddler with multiple deliberating disabilities. Dylan is not yet three years-old but as the result of a brain injury
Maureen
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A departure from her usual crime/thriller books, Clare MacKintosh has written an emotional, heart wrenching, brilliant novel about a family, Pip, Max, and their son, Dylan. Dylan, 2 1/2, becomes gravely ill, and Pip and Max end up on opposite sides regarding his treatment. It ends up being decided for them in a court of law.
This is a sad story, but also a beautiful one, touching on very difficult issues.
5 stars
Debra
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Parenting is hard. I think every parent might have experienced time in the upbringing of their child where they do not agree upon something with the child's other parent be it, curfew, discipline, when to have a cell phone, etc. But what happens when you are faced with the ultimate decision? What happens when your child gets sick? When your child has a terminal disease. Do you prolong his life to only face the inevitable? Do you allow him to pass away with comfort and care? How do you decide? ...more
Carrie
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
A lot of folks are calling After the End by Clare Mackintosh a mystery or a thriller but I didn’t get either vibe from this one but maybe more perhaps just general fiction or a tad drama. The story is one in which parents are caring for a sick child, not searching for a missing one.

Max and Pip are a young married couple that thought they had everything going for. Very much in love and with a wonderful son things were good until one day they were’t. These parents get the most devastating news
Pauline
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I have read and enjoyed all of Clare Mackintosh's previous books and was delighted to receive a copy of her latest book After the End.
This story is unlike any of her other books. This is a story of a family in crises, a sad emotional tale of a terminally ill child and the choice that his parents have to make for his future. A thought provoking story that made me think of what I would do in their shoes.
Thank you to NetGalley and Little, Brown Book Group UK for my e-copy in exchange for an honest
*TANYA*
Wow, just WOW!!! I’m an emotional wreck and I love it!!! I wish just this once I had the right words to convey how heart wrenching and different and fantastic and tragic and redeeming this book was to me. My heart aches and my tear ducts need a rest after this. Read the authors note, it too is very moving.
Gary
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up purely because I had recently read a couple of really good psychological thrillers by the same author. However as I started reading it I was surprised that it was so different to the previous books I had read by her. This is a book must have been so difficult for her to write as it is a subject which is close to her and must have been a very difficult time of her life. Presumably her own story compelled her to write 'After the End'.
In the story Pip and Max have to
DeAnn
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
4 prepare for heartbreak stars

This one is very unique and unlike anything Clare Mackintosh has written before. Fellow Goodreads reviewer NZLisaM compares it to a Jodi Picoult book – and I completely agree with that comparison. If it is difficult for you to read about ill children, I would recommend skipping this one. It is very realistic and likely to break your heart.

The first half of the book is mostly “Before” – the life of a loving couple Max and Pip and their adorable toddler son Dylan.
Kristy
Max and Pip have a deep, untenable bond and a strong marriage that they feel is sealed by fate. But when their nearly three-year-old son, Dylan, gets sick, everything they know changes. Dylan has a brain tumor, and now Pip spends her days in the PICU, while Max tries to juggle work and being strong for his wife and child. Then, the couple receives the worst of all news: the chemo isn't helping Dylan's tumor, and the doctors feel Dylan's condition is terminal. Suddenly, Max and Pip find ...more
Erin Clemence
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claire Mackintosh’s “After the End” is like reading three novels at the same time. The first half of this novel hits you smack dab in the feeling bits with lots of emotionally charged drama that revolves around one life-changing choice. Than the second half comes along (and the second half of the second half? If you wanna call it that) , and we have moved on to life after the choice, where both paths (choice A and choice B) cross. All that being said, the novel(s?) is definitely a ...more
Darinda
A happily married couple are given the devastating news that their son has a brain tumor, and his prognosis is terminal. His doctors recommend end of life care only. His parents are split on what to do. One agrees with the doctors and the other wants to pursue other treatments. Since the parents cannot agree, the decision is left to the court system.

Told with alternating points of view – Pip (mother), Max (father), and Leila (doctor). The novel is also split between before and after. The “before

• Someone We Know
  • Lies Lies Lies
  • Keeping Lucy
  • The Mother-in-Law
  • The Most Fun We Ever Had
Clare Mackintosh spent twelve years in the police force, including time on CID, and as a public order commander. She left the police in 2011 to work as a freelance journalist and social media consultant now writes full time. She lives in North Wales with her husband and their three children.

Clare's debut novel, I Let You Go, is a Sunday Times bestseller and was the fastest-selling title by a new
“In a few moments, the doors will open, and the next act of Dylan’s story will begin. No matter what the judge’s ruling, Max’s and Pip’s lives will be irreversibly changed today, and Leila knows they will forever question the choices they made in the weeks leading up to the hearing. But when you stand at a crossroad you cannot see each destination, only the beginnings of the paths that will lead you there. All you can do is choose one, and walk, and hope that someone will walk with you.” 1 likes
“When Alexis was born, I thought I'd never have a second child. How could I, when I'd already poured my love into my first? But then I had Brianna, and then Logan, and I realized something they don't teach you in biology.... The heart stretches.” 1 likes