Start by marking “Apple Island Wife: Slow Living In Tasmania” as Want to Read:
Apple Island Wife: Slow Living In Tasmania

Apple Island Wife: Slow Living In Tasmania

What happens when you leave city life and move to five acres on a hunch, with a husband who’s an aspiring alpaca-whisperer, and a feral cockerel for company? Can you eat the cockerel for dinner? Or has it got rigour mortise?
In search of a good life and a slower pace, Fiona Stocker upped-sticks and moved to Tasmania, a land of promise, wilderness, and family homes of uncert

Kindle Edition
Published September 20th 2018 by Unbound Digital

To ask other readers questions about Apple Island Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apple Island Wife

Nicki
I read this book through The Pigeonhole, a free online book club and read it with other readers on the web. It was split into 10 parts, called staves, that I read through the nifty Pigeonhole app. I was able to leave comments throughout and interact with the other readers and the author, which really did add to my reading experience.

This was such a lovely book, I feel like I’ve spent the last ten days in Tasmania with the author, her family and menagerie. The descriptions of the area and the loc
Shilpa
"I came to know these sights, the expanses of the sky, each majestic roadside gum tree, the dip in the landscape where rocks broke through the earth. They were like old friends, always familiar, and always changing... Such is way the place we live ingrains itself in us and becomes our home."
Although Fiona Stocker traces the her personal journey from that of a city dweller to a country woman, Apple Island Wife is a celebration of Tasmania itself. The land, the people, the mountains and the val
Di Paterson
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely delightful look at a family's move into a slower lifestyle. I'm in awe of Fiona and her husband, Oliver, and I think his determination and solid know-how combined with Fiona's positive can-do attitude is the reason for their success.

Fiona's humorous viewpoint makes life's problems bearable, and has ultimately entertained many others. Her writing style is easy and honest, and brings to life mundane situations and changes them into meaningful episodes in her life. Her description of
Lindsey
I dove into the pages of Apple Island Wife this weekend, hoping the memoirs of a woman making a new home for her family in rural Tanzania would distract me from our frigid Canadian winter. (It was adorable how she described how some individuals might consider Tanzania cold.)

This charming tale was a delightful telling of growth and discovery, stories of everyday life in a new setting, interspersed with droll humour. The account was amusing and educational (being from the North American corner of
Rebecca If Only I Could Read Faster
I don’t tend to read memoirs but Apple Island Wife by Fiona Stocker sounded interesting and like a book that I wanted to read. I think that in part it is because I related to the blurb, I have previously moved to New Zealand from England, although back in England now I am contemplating a return.

Fiona’s writing is funny, she has a way with words that had me chuckling away. It reminded me of when I found myself living on ten acres without a clue of what I should be doing. This was proven only a fe
Cheryl M-M
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The author has a knack for telling a yarn, no pun intended. There are some people, I think we will all know at least one person this applies to, who can make even the most mundane of tasks become an entertaining story. This is what Stocker does with the stories of her family and her anecdotes. In fact she is probably a written advertisement for upping roots and moving to New Zealand.

It’s amusing, albeit probably unintentionally so. In a way the author downplays the difficulty of adjusting to suc
Louise
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt so honoured to be given an insight into the life of Fiona Stoker, husband Oliver, and their adorable children. Fiona’s memoir is an amusing account of how they moved to Tasmania and adapted to a new country, new climate and a totally new way of life.

The anecdotes are both informative and funny, Fiona has a way of making the most mundane tasks seem really amusing. However, by contrast, she describes the most outrageous occurrences as if they happen on a daily basis!

The Stoker’s new life me
Dyane Harwood
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading Fiona Stocker's memoir "Apple Island Wife." Tasmania is a mysterious-sounding island that not many people know about and Stocker brings it to life in her vivid account. This is an enjoyable, slice-of-life read that offers readers a glimpse into what it's like to live with alpacas and other colorful creatures, i.e. a scorpion.
Pheadra
Shelves: pigeon-books
This is a charming read reminiscent of Toujours Provence, A Beer in the Loire and Under the Tuscan Sun, with one profound difference. The destination is not well known, nor in Europe. It is Tasmania (via a brief spell in Brisbane, Australia). Fiona Stocker, a former office administration worker with a talent for writing, chronicles the life she, her cabinet maker husband Paul and their charming children Daisy (born in Australia) and Kit (born in Tasmania) lead when they decide to leave England.
T
Amelia
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. It’s gentle humour, real life and fascinating characters and intriguing story of a family finding its way in a whole new setting, lifestyle and country. Fiona and her family have embraced rural country life down in Tasmania and are actually living the dream. I previously knew absolutely nothing about Tasmania so I found this a very interesting insight into what is obviously a very beautiful and interesting Country. I could totally relate to so many things throughout ...more
Gail Wylde
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pigeonhole
This was a very enjoyable read about life in rural Tasmania for an expat family who started their down under life in Queensland. This book was full of wonderful people, stunning countryside and great humour. Tasmania has now been elevated in my list of places to visit.
I want to thank the author Fiona and Pigeonhole for allowing us to read this book and I highly recommend it.
Sheri
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

In search of a different way of life, Fiona Stocker and husband Oliver upped sticks and moved themselves and their young family to rural Tasmania, to a house of dubious construction among five acres of land. It was the start of a number of adventures Fiona probably wouldn’t have predicted, including acting as midwife to a permanently disgruntled alpaca named Lorna (to be honest, I would happily have read a whole book about the alpacas alone. Alpaca Island Wife?) Along with alpaca-, chicken- and
Mandie
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Memoirs can be a tricky thing, after all the writer is putting their life out there for others to read about and hoping that someone is interested enough to pick it up in the first place. I can honestly say this is one of those times you should take the chance and grab a copy of Apple Island Wife as you won’t be disappointed.
Fiona Stocker gives an honest and funny insight into life in Tasmania after she and her husband, along with their daughter Daisy decide to up sticks and move there. From th
Isabelle
(I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)

The anecdotes in this book — because it is a collection of stories, rather than a continuous narrative — are entertaining, but the narrator is pretty passive in most of them, letting her husband or children take the lead, which diminished my sympathy for her. There's also quite a bit of overlap and repetition in some minor details from chapter to chapter (which are possibly collected from the blog she mentions, so perhaps t
Andrew Tattersall
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Another people moving to a new home in a different place book with all the difficulties and challenges. However, having visited Tasmania and, in particular the part this is set in, spent time there, the writer drew pictures of the place that brought back a happy visit. In all the book I felt I was with the author looking out at the farm, the show or whatever. It was interesting following the travails as they set up life and businesses, raised children, and had new adventures. An enjoyable read.
Sue Paxton-Browne
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have thoroughly enjoyed this amusing yet thoughtful account of one English couple’s new life in Tasmania. It brought to life for me the island to which my Uncle and his family emigrated about fifty years ago. I now feel I know a lot more about what my relatives’ lives there must have been like. It was an easy, engaging read.
Alayne
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story of living (slowly) in Tasmania's north, west of the Tamar Estuary. Easy to read, enjoyable, with a couple of typos that should not have got through. (Farming lamas, anyone? Tibetan monks?) On the whole though, I really enjoyed the antics of Oliver, Fiona, Daisy and Kit and the dog Midget and all the friends they made.
Pat
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this delightful book with Pigeonhole. It tells the story of a family moving to Tasmania to have a better life. It is full of their adventures and told in a very heartwarming way. I felt part of their family and their adventure. Wonderful descriptions of farm life and animals. Look forward to hearing more about them
Helen
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
Really charming memoir by a British ex-pat who emigrated first to Australia then settled with her family in Tasmania. The writing is eloquent and frequently funny and makes this a very easy, entertaining read.

Read via the Pigeonhole app. Many thanks to Pigeon and Fiona Stocker for sharing this with us.
Eileen Luton
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Lively and witty, Fiona’s writing brings a smile to my face. Insights into country life in rural Tasmania, full of the trials and tribulations of a tree change family but always balanced with good humour.
Rachel Axford
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was so easy to read and I learnt a lot about rural life in Tasmania in a light hearted way.
Erica Hough
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
2.75 - had its moments, but got a bit tedious in the middle, picking back up at the end.
Joanne
Jan 09, 2019
Rebecca Bowyer
Feb 23, 2019
Cynthia White
Jan 25, 2019
Pam Gibbins
rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2019
Angela Morris
Feb 09, 2019
Aussie Readers: Pip Courtney loved this book! 2 7 Dec 15, 2018 05:04PM
Aussie Readers: Upcoming book Apple Island Wife 11 15 Jul 16, 2018 04:57AM
Fiona Stocker was born in Adelaide, raised in England and now lives in Tasmania.

Her travel memoir Apple Island Wife, is out in September 2018 with independent publisher Unbound. One woman's search for slow living in Tasmania, it captures the tussles and euphoria of living on the land in a place of untrammelled beauty and family homes of uncertain build quality. Heartwarming and hilarious, Apple I