Start by marking “Once More Unto the Breach” as Want to Read:
Once More Unto the Breach

Once More Unto the Breach

For readers of The Nightingale and Beneath a Scarlet Sky comes a gripping historical thriller set against a fully-realized WWII backdrop about the love a father has for his son and the lengths he is willing to go to find him, from a talented new voice in suspense.

Rhys Gravenor, Great War veteran and Welsh sheep farmer, arrives in Paris in the midst of the city's liberation
Expected publication: May 14th 2019 by Polis Books

To ask other readers questions about Once More Unto the Breach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once More Unto the Breach

Sharlene
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I have read a lot of WWII genre books and this is one of the best. I loved the movie the Monument Men so I was intrigued from the very beginning. Also two of my favorite authors Mark Sullivan and Pam Jenoff recommended it.
One of my fav
Pen & Ink Reviews
Meghan Holloway’s Once More Unto the Breach is poetic and visceral, lyrical and brutal. A wartime mystery, a family saga, a subtle romance, and an action thriller wrapped up in an epic quest story, this is historical fiction at its best.

The tale begins in medias res with Rhys Gravenor, Welsh sheep farmer and Great War veteran, in Paris with a letter in his pocket. The tumult of the liberation is sweeping through France, and Rhys is desperate to find his estranged son. Joined by a young woman who
Glady
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

Once More Unto the Breach reveals an extraordinary tale set in late WWII France. Rhys, a Welshman and WWI veteran, has made his way to France to determine the fate of his son, Owain. Rhys has carried the horrors of his experiences at the Somme for years. His solace, his sense of peace and well-being, are found through hard work on his sheep farm and in his loving family. Both Rhys and Owain are big guys, strong and determine
Luz Trevino
Once More Unto the Breach was a very powerful and compelling story. It tells the story of how far a father, Rhys, will go to find his son, Owain, in a war torn country. It's story is very fast paced and some scenes where very heartbreaking to read. All characters were very well developed and had their each story to tell. I liked how the author overlapped Rhys' experience in the first war with what was happening in the second one. That even though time had passed between the two wars the emotions ...more
Erin
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EXCITING AND ACTION PACKED WWII THRILLER!!

I HIGHLY recommend this book to any fans of realistic historical fiction, especially WWII era. The main character is Rhys, a Welsh shepherd that has endured much pain and torment in his lifetime. WWI left him scarred and determined never to return to France again. However, in order to find his missing son he returns to France in the midst of WWII. He is aided by an enigmatic woman named Charlotte who has secrets and possible ulterior motives of her own.
Yolanda
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful historical thriller set during WWII.
It featuresd well drawn characters and a fast paced plot and was atmospheric in setting and time period.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me review this book
Rickie G
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Once More Unto the Breach. It is beautifully written with such detail that you can't help but play the story out in your mind. I love the way the story flows..the ups and downs..the flash backs... Dare I say, my new favorite!!! Definitely a must read.
Allison Keith
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With an opening scene that begins in medias res, this story had me riveted from the very first page. Rhys is a phenomenal protagonist written in the vein of a classic romantic hero. I can never resist a journey story, and this one pushed all the right buttons. A setting so vividly portrayed I felt as if I were living in the book, a plot that is tight and fast paced, historical details that read authentically but unobtrusively, and a strong, mysterious woman who is a great supporting character. A ...more
Paul
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was very well done. The author has talent. Realistic plot, well-written characters, and a satisfying ending. I can see reasons for the comparison to Scarlet Sky. I look forward to her next book. Recommended.

I really appreciate the ARC for review!
Andrew
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was ok

I wanted to like this, and I didn't hate it. There was some interesting moments. For instance, the character "Rhys", he was actually a very likable character. I really found myself rooting for him to succeed and he had some touching moments on his journey to find his son.

As a huger Historical fiction Buff, especially WWII historical fiction, I just found it lacking. I couldn't get my head around this guy traveling across the English channel well before the end
Ciska Bokhorst
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley I could read this Novel

Wasnt what I was hoping for...

2 1/2* rounded up.
Danielle Honings
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I relieved an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This book was compared to Ally he Light we Cannot See and I can see why. However I thought this was much better. I liked the back and forth of the story between the past and the present. I liked the switching of characters at times. And it liked the surprise ending. I would recommend to others.
Elaine
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you net galley for the advance reader copy of this novel. I enjoyed this historical fiction centered on the time period just after WWII had ended. A Welsh sheep farmer tracks across France to find his son, Owain. Owain had been part of a resistance group to help save children and a jewish looted art from the Nazis. This novel was a bit slow to start and someone difficult to keep straight but was overall an enjoyable read. I appreciated all the research that went into this novel.
Naomi Finley
Erin
Missy
Andrea Zsigmond
Feb 20, 2019
Meghan Holloway found her first Nancy Drew mystery in a sun-dappled attic at the age of eight and subsequently fell in love with the grip and tautness of a well-told mystery. She flew an airplane before she learned how to drive a car, did her undergrad work in Creative Writing in the sweltering south, and finished a Masters of Library and Information Science in the blustery north. She spent a sum ...more