Start by marking “Defensive Play (A Boys on the Brink Novella)” as Want to Read:
Defensive Play (A Boys on the Brink Novella)

Defensive Play

(Boys on the Brink)

One glance is all it takes to bring his defences crashing down…

Seventeen-year-old Davey has never made friends easily. Shy, geeky, crippled with social anxiety, he feels isolated from his peers, and only his position as defender for the school football team fills the void of loneliness. On the pitch, his deft footwork has earned him the respect and acceptance of his squad,
ebook
Published November 30th 2018 by Beaten Track Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Defensive Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defensive Play

☆ Todd
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it

This short, 80'ish page, YA story was pretty damn adorably cute.

The story began with 17 y.o. footballer Davey locking eyes with a handsome opponent from their rival team, and he found it nearly impossible to look away, but he wasn't the only one.

They later ended up talking, briefly, before Davey hiked up his skirt-tails and ran away, without leaving so much as a glass slipper for young Adam to hold onto.

Although Davey wasn't the most comfortable teen in social situations, I'm not sure if I'd go
D.M.
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Davey is insecure about his sexuality. He is on the football team but not close with any of the guys. He sees Adam, a player on another team and likes what he see. He’s caught staring at him and struggles to deal with his feelings.

Adam is out and proud. He likes Davey but knows he’s in the closet. It doesn’t put Adam off but Davey needs to work out what he wants.

Defensive play is the first gay romance I’ve read that dealt with the insecurities of not being accepted. Davey never felt like he fi
A.M. Leibowitz
This is a story short enough to be read in a single sitting. While I wouldn’t call it pure fluff, it isn’t full of a lot of angst and drama, either. It’s really just two boys who find their way to each other and to a happy ending.

Much has been made recently of a couple of mainstream young adult gay romances, and it is good to see queer YA getting its due. Sadly, a lot of them still rely on “othering” LGBTQ kids around their coming out. This story is free from any of that.

Davey does experience so
Brooke Banks
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was super cute!! Very fun, sweet and emotional novella. Highly recommendable for a quick m/m story about first love.

>>There's no forced or vindictive outing.
>>No love triangles or other extra drama
>>Davy is someone on the periphery of social circles with anxiety and nervous about getting negative focus on him from homophobic teammates. I like stories having teens like this- not the popular ones, not the targets or isolated loners-just run of the mill kids that are average
Stacy
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-books
This was a cute, short YA book with some adorable characters and just the tiniest bit of needed angst to make the book a well-rounded story.

17yo Davey plays football (soccer for us Americans. Lol) and has a bit of social anxiety, which for me didn’t seem to be as bad as I thought it would – by that, I mean most teenagers seem to have some sort of anxiety at one point or another. Dave’s was just a tad over “normal” but I think that his fear of coming out just added to that, making it seem worse.
Jennifer Oliveira
*ARC received through the author*

Davey is afraid that coming out will burst the little bubble he imagines exists around himself and his life. Sure, he isn't the most popular guy. He's geeky, quiet and filled with anxiety. But he's also on the football team, and he's earned the respect of his teammates. He doesn't want to lose that... Then Davey meets Adam. He doesn't want to lose him either.

This was a lovely read. A quick one, as well. It took me half a day to get to know Davey and Adam, and I
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Defensive Play is the first book by this author I have read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Davey knows he is gay, but he hasn't told anyone. He is a geek who has managed to earn the respect of his football team, and he is worried if he comes out, he will lose that. He thinks he has it all under control, until Adam shows up. With one glance, Davey starts to become unraveled.

This was a sweet story, with some angst in tune with the story. Mostly, it is about Davey and how he feels, what he will do,
Kate Kid
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Defensive Play is a cute romance between two teenage boys on rival teams, who met on the field during a football game. It is a cute and short story that was filled with emotions, highs and lows, and a bunch of moments where you had to hold back an audible "awe".

I loved the characters and thought that their interactions with one another were charming and pretty realistic. Adam would have to be my favorite character in the story. I loved his enthusiasm, his infectious smile, and the support that
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
ARC received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this sweet story! As it’s a novella we get straight into the heart of the story. My heart absolutely went out to Davey. It’s hard enough being a teenager without having to deal with social anxiety and insufferable idiots.

Adam is such a wonderful character. I love how patient he was with Davey but even the most patient people have their limits. Their difficult situation put such a lump in my throat. But by the last chapter I
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
4 Stars

This was a sweet story of two young high school students, both stars of their respective school football teams. Adam is popular, and out and proud, while Davey is quieter, nerdier and closeted. I loved these two young men, they were so sweet, both individually and together as a couple. Although the story takes place over a rather short period of time, the romance felt natural and unhurried.

The story is well-written and it flowed well. I absolutely LOVED Davey’s coming out and although n
Lauren - SERIESous Books
**I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest voluntary review. All opinions are my own and not influenced by my source.**

I always worry when I pick up a novella that things will seemed rushed or underdeveloped; but I'm happy to say that wasn't the case here. This was a quick read but one that packs a lot of punch and love. It tackles a lot and it does it well.

And it is also so genuine! I could easily see this story happening in real life and I think that's part of t
Maxine
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely adorable short story. It took me far longer than it should to realize this was a British story, so football meant soccer, and I would have loved to have a bit more of the story after the 'big reveal,' even a short epilogue that took place in the summer would have been great.
Riina Y.T.
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute! :)
Kristina
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute coming out story with two sweet teenage boys. Davey and Adam were really good for each other. Adam helping calm Davey’s Anxiety and Davey help show Adam that not every guy will be a douche to him.

Davey was a great character and his anxiety was so much a part of what made him a character that really drew me in. Minus the school bit, I felt connected to Davey because I have the same thought pattern at times and it is hard to snap yourself the negative.

Adam was a beautiful so
Andrew
Nov 19, 2018
Rebelexmachina
Nov 20, 2018
Jamie lives in a tranquil spot close to the River Thames in Berkshire, England, and has always been just a little out of place—the only redhead in a family of brunettes; an introvert far more at ease with dogs than with people; a connoisseur of simple pleasures in a society intent on the quest for wealth and fame. Despite an outward cynicism, Jamie is a romantic at heart, and, when not immersed in ...more

Boys on the Brink (1 books)
  • Caught Inside (A Boys on the Brink Novel)