Start by marking “The Stand-In Boyfriend (Grove Valley High, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stand-In Boyfriend (Grove Valley High, #1)

The Stand-In Boyfriend

(Grove Valley High #1)

Livy Chapman is in love with Jessie Stephenson. It’s that simple. She has been for years but he only see’s her as his best friend. His best friend who copies her homework, relies on her to bail him out of trouble and who he hooks up with other girls in front of.
Enough is enough and when Chase Mitchell, star of the soccer team, and all round Mr. Popular steps in and c
Published March 12th 2019 (first published March 9th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Stand-In Boyfriend, please sign up.
Madison I reached out to her on Facebook and she said it should be released around Feb 21st!

Start your review of The Stand-In Boyfriend (Grove Valley High, #1)
Lerizza Mae (books&teacups)
Honestly, I had a hard time finishing this book so by the end I was skimming the chapters. The only thing keeping me from DNFing this book is Chase, my book boyfriend of the month.

I wanted this book to focus more on Livy's soccer career but instead what I got is Jessie this, Jessie that. Jessie, Jessie, JESSIE! I mean, this girl is so obsessed!

Even if someone better was already stading in front of her, her focus will still be on Jessie, her selfish and obnoxiuous bestfriend/crush. ...more
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
What is it about teenage drama and high school romance that turns me into a mushy, giddy crazy person? There's just something so delicious and sweet and innocent about this plotline and I honestly can't get enough of it. I have become such a big fan of Emma Doherty's because she just NAILS the drama and tumultuous emotion I crave in high school and college love stories... and she seriously wacked it out of the park with The Stand-In Boyfriend.

The fake relationship trope is one I've
Snow
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

Simply because the girl was so fucking stupidly oblivious of her surroundings!!!

God damn...she was blind to everyone around her, she was ignorant of the guy pinning for her for years cause she was pinning for her best friend...

Sweet jeeezus of aggravating frustration of being a YA

this is actually one of the main reasons I read YA as rarely as possible...I'm too old for this shit LOL

Even though, I have to emphasize the writing which is ca
Yoda
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was so annoyed by Livy and her never ending Jesse triade. It was so annoying. I did like Chase but felt there was a bit too much drama for this book to be anything over 2 stars. I actually forgot that I read it until I checked my kindle, thats how memorable this book was.
Naadira  Moodley (BookedMercy)
People may find The Stand-In Boyfriend a cliché and say that this story has been done many times before and although they may be right, that won’t stop me from reading a book like this. Some books with this trope are not written right or have parts in it that I hate but this book was the complete opposite. I loved it. It was written and protrayed to perfection. Time just flew while I was reading this.

Olivia (Livy) Chapman has been in love with her best friend Jesse for years. It’s a major type
Christy Bailey
Wow!

Ok so this was a good young adult book but definitely had a lot of drama. I loved Chase so much and he was amazing! The story line was great up until the end. Don't get me wrong it was still good but I could of went without the love triangle and drama that came with it. I also wish there was an epilogue that let me know how the future went! All in all of give this 3.5 stars!
nova ryder ☼
Well I’m angry. This book was problematic at parts but I thought I’d enjoy it anyways cause I’m a sucker for these kinds of stories. But the end ruined it for me. I understand why it was done the way it was, I just didn't enjoy it.
M. Nicolas
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just the high School drama I needed. Chase you are everything🥰. Livi made me mad from time to time but hey, I understand!
T.H. Hernandez
My Review
Oh wow, words are not sufficient to convey the depth of feelings this book brought out. THE STAND-IN BOYFRIEND is filled with love and longing, insecurities, anxiety, and more. It’s like stepping back into high school. And though I read a lot of young adult, that doesn’t happen very often for me.

Livy Chapman has been in love with her best friend almost from the moment they met. But he doesn’t see her as anything more than a buddy, breaking her heart just a little more
Stephanie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. There were many ridiculous things and Livy kind of drove me crazy about 90% of the time, but I still loved it. Chase was so, so sweet and made up for everything else. A fun fake relationship story I recommend if you can deal with the angst.
Ashley
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A nice high school romance with the usual amount of high school drama.

Livy has been pining over her best friend Jessie for years. Jessie doesn't see her as more than a friend. Honestly, I hated him. He treats Livy like crap, makes her do his homework, and takes advantage of her. The words "Why the **** are you friends with him?" left my mouth more than once while reading this book.

Chase approaches Livy with an offer of being fake boyfriend/girlfriend to make Jessie jealous and to ge
Somya Sahni
Thanks to the author and InkSlinger PR for proving me with a e-copy. This book involves fake dating. So it took me some time to get used to the books writing and honestly I was going to DNF it , but then something stopped me and then I got to read more parts between the couple(who were just perfect and did in the end become a real couple) and I am really happy that I finished it cause it was amazing . It revolves around a girl who feels that she loves her best friend but he keeps on dating other ...more
Irma
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I had this idea.”
I raise an eyebrow at him expectantly as a grin spreads across his face. “Yeah?” I ask after a couple of seconds of him not saying anything.
“You have to promise to hear me out.”
“Huh?”
“Say you won’t just dismiss the idea and will actually think about it.”
“Um…” This is getting weird. “Okay?”
He grins wider. “We should totally pretend to date.”

Emma had me eating out of the palm of her hand with The Stand-In Boyfriend. She rocks my world. I put
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars from me. Mainly because I found it so frustrating. Liv is a complete idiot. If I could have reached into the kindle and slapped her, I would have.
Very similar to my favourite “Emma Doherty” book, Four doors down. Only that book was much better. That one got 5 stars from me.
I’m not feeling this new series so far, but I’ll not give up on it yet.
Isabella
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boring, so-cliche
You know, some contemporary teen romances are actually really good, and they can talk about real issues, and real things, and can be absolutely adorable at the same time. The Stand-In Boyfriend was not one of them. The world building was abysmal, and I know what you're thinking "It's a contemporary teen romance, not a teen romance in space! What world building is needed?" Well how about the fact that for the first 13 chapters the parents of all these children (because they are children) were basically jchildren ...more
mich

To All the Boys I've Loved Before does this story better. Much MUCH better. This kinda just felt like a cheap knock-off.
Tia
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg i LOVED this. It was so dramatic I felt like i was watching degrassi or something but even better than degrassi. I wasn’t expecting it to be this good like I can’t stop smiling. It was a typical high school romance book but like really well written dramatic funny so cute it was great. I even cried a little when they were talking about their families. The friendship between Livy and Sophie, incredible. The way Sophie stood up for Hallie when that bitch tried to out her ugh queen. And Chase!!! ...more
Kimberly Garner
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet easy YA read typical of the trope. Liv was a little frustrating, she was so stubborn and I don't know but she was irritating. That being said this was a cute book, there is no sex, there is some language, and kissing, and alluding to sex. I know this is the first in a series, so I am anxious to see what the characters get up to in the next book. This is told all in Liv's pov.
Martha

Livy is in love with her best friend Jessie but he doesn't seem to feel the same. Popular soccer player Chase steps in with an offer: fake-date to make Jessie jealous. Livy's crazy enough about Jessie to give it a shot. After all, Chase and her are just pretending, right?

Livy, our protagonist and narrator, suffers from anxiety and as a result over-thinks and worries. Her shyness prevents her from telling one of her best friends, Jessie, that she has a huge crush on him. Instead, Liv
Molly Blue
Mar 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Poor attempt to imitate All The Boys I've Lived Before, but lacking everything that made that book special.
Candyce Kirk
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
As a big fan of stories of people pretending to be together to make others jealous/look good and ending up falling for each other, I was really excited for The Stand-In Boyfriend. The summary sounded like something I would love and as soon as I got my ARC, I dove right in! While this story has a lot of things I loved, there were also a few things that I didn't care for!

Livy is a hardworking student and a great soccer player. She's the type that does her best and even with a high feve
SℓιM
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fake boyfriend = real boyfriend

•••Spoilers throughout this review••••

Lord the girl Livi aka Olivia I wanted to smack her so many times it wasn’t even funny. Like omg; her obsession with her best friend was over the top and ridiculous like Jheeze... All you see was Jessie this Jessie that. Jessie; Jessie, Jessssiee a thousand times like good lord. & I knew in my mind that Chase liked Olivia that’s why he did the fake boyfriend thing with her because he knew that was the only option he had to get/>•••Spoilers
Srk001
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: skimmed-a-lot
Deanna (A Novel Glimpse)
Oiriginal review: A Novel Glimpse

The Stand-In Boyfriend is one if those fun YA fake relationship books. Popular soccer star Chase gets Livy to be his fake girlfriend so he can keep an ex away and she can make her best friend / crush notice her. Chase isn’t exactly truthful in his pact with Livy, though, and as days go by their fake relationship starts to feel real. It was cute, but pretty angsty. Livy’s feelings for Jessie drove me nuts when I saw how he treated her. Chase’s dishonesty with Li
Shorouk Abd Elhamed
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this a lot . The story was so cute . The writing style was good. I liked most of the characters.I really needed more scenes with Levi's mom and Chase's grandma and sister. These adults were so nice as addition to the story.His sister was really sweet,too.I loved the main characters and really want to meet someone like Chase . The amount of thinking he did for Levi was so sweet and showed how much he cared. I really liked how Levi was competitive. I liked how the author made Levi like Cha ...more
Ga Books LoverX
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly delightful to read! I am a huge sucker for not only angsty YA books, but fake dating where the characters get to know each other and then realize oh hey--- you actually are the one that I want!

Livy has been in love with her friend Jessie for pretty much forever. All she wants is for him to see her as the type of girl that he would want to be with. This all seems pretty hopeless until someone offers to help her showcase in that light.

Chase is one of the most popul
Kristen Reads
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh, I adored everything about The Stand-In Boyfriend. There's nothing I love more than a teen romance with a nice dose of high school drama... I mean it's basically my kryptonite. That said, Livy and Chase's story was soooo good. Chase was so sweet, thoughtful, hot, and just the perfect book boyfriend. I loved him!

I seriously couldn't put this book down. It was full of angst, drama, and a super sweet romance. My one complaint was that I wanted moooore... but hopefully we'll see m
April
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it a must read

You know that feeling of having a crush but knowing they don’t see you the same? Well this book brought back those high school feelings lol yeah it’s relatable and it made me sad my heart hurt for how Livy felt but then to finally hear how chase felt omg I was rooting for them from the start because I felt like he has some undeniable feelings for her. Overall I lived this book I’d read it again in a heartbeat it made me remember innocent first love and how powerful it ca
She's a Lip Biter
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic high school romance!! Liv has been in love with her best friend Jessie forever... when she agrees to fake date the most popular boy in school this is where the fun begins!! This was an entertaining, teenage angst filled book with cheeky characters who will make you laugh as quick as they will make you cringe or cry! Highly recommend this very cute and heartwarming high school read.

Reviewed by Nat
Elena
Really enjoyed this book. It was super cheesy and predictable but exactly what I was in the mood for. The writing flowed and was easy to read. The female lead had a lot of character development and I enjoyed watching her find her self worth. There was a super cheesy speech that I couldn’t read and had to skim over but apart from that I loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Young Adult Conte...: #16 The Stand-In Boyfriend by Emma Doherty 4 14 Aug 08, 2019 10:08PM

• I Hate You More
  • Never Have I Ever Kissed My Brother's Best Friend (Never Ever Love, #1)
  • Heartbreak Café
  • One of the Guys
  • Crushing on My Brothers' Best Friend (Sweet Water High Book 2)
  • The Dating Dare
  • Never Have I Ever Faked a Boyfriend (Never Ever Love, #2)
  • Kissing the Boy Next Door (Sweet Water High #3)
  • Say Anything
  • Falling For My Nemesis: A Sweet YA Romance (Sweet Water High Book 6)
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Being Bad
  • Kiss and Break Up (Magnolia Cove, #1)
  • Don't Bet on Love (Rockford High #1)
  • Misunderstanding the Billionaire's Heir (Sweet Water High, #1)
  • Being Not Good
  • Love at First Fight (Geeks Gone Wild Book 1)
  • Flirting with the Bad Boy (Sweet Water High Book 4)
  • Chemistry of a Kiss (Sweet Water High #5)
Follow me on Instagram @emma.doherty.author

Grove Valley High (2 books)
  • Playing with Fire (Grove Valley High, 0.5)