Start by marking “The Stand-In Boyfriend (Grove Valley High, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stand-In Boyfriend (Grove Valley High, #1)

The Stand-In Boyfriend (Grove Valley High, #1)

Livy Chapman is in love with Jessie Stephenson. It’s that simple. She has been for years but he only see’s her as his best friend. His best friend who copies her homework, relies on her to bail him out of trouble and who he hooks up with other girls in front of.
Enough is enough and when Chase Mitchell, star of the soccer team, and all round Mr. Popular steps in and convinc
Published March 12th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Stand-In Boyfriend, please sign up.
Madison I reached out to her on Facebook and she said it should be released around Feb 21st!

Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
What is it about teenage drama and high school romance that turns me into a mushy, giddy crazy person? There's just something so delicious and sweet and innocent about this plotline and I honestly can't get enough of it. I have become such a big fan of Emma Doherty's because she just NAILS the drama and tumultuous emotion I crave in high school and college love stories... and she seriously wacked it out of the park with The Stand-In Boyfriend.

The fake relationship trope is one I've always been
Naadira  Moodley (BookedMercy)
People may find The Stand-In Boyfriend a cliché and say that this story has been done many times before and although they may be right, that won’t stop me from reading a book like this. Some books with this trope are not written right or have parts in it that I hate but this book was the complete opposite. I loved it. It was written and protrayed to perfection. Time just flew while I was reading this.

Olivia (Livy) Chapman has been in love with her best friend Jesse for years. It’s a major type
Snow
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it

Simply because the girl was so fucking stupidly oblivious of her surroundings!!!

God damn...she was blind to everyone around her, she was ignorant of the guy pinning for her for years cause she was pinning for her best friend...

Sweet jeeezus of aggravating frustration of being a YA

this is actually one of the main reasons I read YA as rarely as possible...I'm too old for this shit LOL

Even though, I have to emphasize the writing which is captivating in it's moderately fast pace...and eve
Maca
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
2,5⭐ ...more
Ashley
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A nice high school romance with the usual amount of high school drama.

Livy has been pining over her best friend Jessie for years. Jessie doesn't see her as more than a friend. Honestly, I hated him. He treats Livy like crap, makes her do his homework, and takes advantage of her. The words "Why the **** are you friends with him?" left my mouth more than once while reading this book.

Chase approaches Livy with an offer of being fake boyfriend/girlfriend to make Jessie jealous and to get Chase's ex
Irma
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I had this idea.”
I raise an eyebrow at him expectantly as a grin spreads across his face. “Yeah?” I ask after a couple of seconds of him not saying anything.
“You have to promise to hear me out.”
“Huh?”
“Say you won’t just dismiss the idea and will actually think about it.”
“Um…” This is getting weird. “Okay?”
He grins wider. “We should totally pretend to date.”

Emma had me eating out of the palm of her hand with The Stand-In Boyfriend. She rocks my world. I put my Kindle down last night, just so I c
Kimberly Garner
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a sweet easy YA read typical of the trope. Liv was a little frustrating, she was so stubborn and I don't know but she was irritating. That being said this was a cute book, there is no sex, there is some language, and kissing, and alluding to sex. I know this is the first in a series, so I am anxious to see what the characters get up to in the next book. This is told all in Liv's pov.
Candyce Kirk
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
As a big fan of stories of people pretending to be together to make others jealous/look good and ending up falling for each other, I was really excited for The Stand-In Boyfriend. The summary sounded like something I would love and as soon as I got my ARC, I dove right in! While this story has a lot of things I loved, there were also a few things that I didn't care for!

Livy is a hardworking student and a great soccer player. She's the type that does her best and even with a high fever, she's det
Ga Books LoverX
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was truly delightful to read! I am a huge sucker for not only angsty YA books, but fake dating where the characters get to know each other and then realize oh hey--- you actually are the one that I want!

Livy has been in love with her friend Jessie for pretty much forever. All she wants is for him to see her as the type of girl that he would want to be with. This all seems pretty hopeless until someone offers to help her showcase in that light.

Chase is one of the most popular guys in h
She's a Lip Biter
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic high school romance!! Liv has been in love with her best friend Jessie forever... when she agrees to fake date the most popular boy in school this is where the fun begins!! This was an entertaining, teenage angst filled book with cheeky characters who will make you laugh as quick as they will make you cringe or cry! Highly recommend this very cute and heartwarming high school read.

Reviewed by Nat
Molly Blue
Mar 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Poor attempt to imitate All The Boys I've Lived Before, but lacking everything that made that book special.
Reading with 2 book lovers
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a high school romance and wow did it deliver, I devoured this story in a day. Highly recommend this book.
Kori Dicken
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very cute fake boyfriend story line!
Elizabeth
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving an honest review.

I LOVED this book. Livy has been in love with her best friend, Jessie, for years but he doesn’t see it. So when the star of the soccer game talks her into pretend dating him to make her best friend jealous, she goes along with it thinking nothing could go wrong. She couldn’t have been more wrong.

Seriously, I read this book in one sitting because I could not put it down. The love triangle between Livy-Jessie-Chase h
R Huiszoon
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emma Doherty, ‘The Stand-In Boyfriend’.

As a Hidden Gem ARC reader I received this book for free. And promised an honest review. Here it is.

English isn’t my first language. Sorry for errors.

Rating: 4 stars (of 5).

In general: Sweet love between two young adults.

Main characters:
- Olivia (Liv) Chapman.
In her last year of High School. Very conscientious, intelligent and hard working
student. Talented soccer player. Good looking, but no self-confidence. Afraid of
being the centre of attention, espe
Jennifer Aldrich
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Oh boy! I was not expecting that! The Stand-In Boyfriend is the perfect YA novel. There is drama and romance. There is angst and confusion. And the hormones? Yep got that too. If you like to lose yourself in a good YA novel, take a chance on this one.
What could possibly go wrong in a fake relationship? I mean the feelings are fake, aren’t they? Livy has been in love with her best friend for as long as she can remember. There is only one problem. He doesn’t really see her as anything more as a fr
Linda
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
😍What does it take to see the one you're meant to be with?💔😕

👍👍💙😲
A fabulous story of the pangs of unrequited love in 🏫 high school corridors! This was in many ways a tragedy of errors played out by Chase and Livy: a plan to attract the person they each pine for that SO backfired but ultimately does achieve the right result. The writing's terrific; at no point did I want to pause. It moves at a good pace while doing a great job of covering Livy's internal struggles. The story is all told from her
Anna
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet high school romance. Livy, high school senior, is somewhat clueless when it comes to boys and is a bit shy, anxious, and an amazing soccer player. Aside from being a soccer player, I could definitely identify with her. Throughout high school, she is completely oblivious to all other boys except her best friend Jessie. Livy is a sweet girl who finds herself reluctantly agreeing to enter into a fake relationship with the popular Chase. Of course things do not always go as planned! ...more
Up All Night With Books
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars
Review by Elizabeth
Late Night Reviewer
Up All Night w/ Books Blog

Wow! I have to say that it has been forever since I have read a YA romance that kept my attention. The Stand In Boyfriend by Emma Doherty will keep you very much entertained.

Olivia has it bad for her best friend, Jessie, who has friend-zoned her for years. When Chase approaches her to be his ‘fake’ girlfriend to discourage his ex and get her within eyesight of her crush, she is anything but up for the challenge. When Jessi
Franjessca
Full Review posted at Book Lovin' Mamas

I loved how the author touched on specific topics of what high schoolers go through in this book. I’ll be picking up the next book in the series and checking out other books from this author. If you are a fan of YA Contemporary, I would recommend this book. There is no steam in this book, so please don’t pick it up if you are looking for steaminess.

Every once in a while I love to go back to my reading roots and pick up a YA Contemporary, which is why I enjo
Kayla
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've always enjoyed books where the main character falls for the one person they don't want to fall for. This book was one of those that was a reason why I fell in love with Young Adult novels. It's one of those stories that ends with my heart being happy. I loved the way things went in this story and how Livy and Chase came together to be great friends.

Livy has been in love with her best friend Jessie since around the time that they met. Jessie doesn't seem to notice Livy or treat her as anythi
Vicki
My favorite thing about this fake-relationship-to-real YA/high school romance is the hero's unrequited love for the heroine and all of the subtle (and not so subtle) ways he showed it throughout the book (as well as in the past, which we discover the more we read). This entire thread of the book elevated it to one that I know I will want to re-read because of how romantic it was to me. I found the heroine's near complete tunnel vision on unworthy Jessie to be frustrating, but it was also what al ...more
Cassie
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I started this book out wide-eyed and happy. I was super excited to be reading a good classic YA. Think Sarah Dessen. A lighter read that touches on issues but is just about teenage emotions. No considerable drama with clicks, bullying, drugs, etc. it was just an excellent wholesome YA novel overall.

Livy Chapman is the type of girl I always aimed to be. She is focused, athletic, and just had a good heart. I will say she frustrated me at the end, but she came out and did the right thing in my min
Kari Hansen
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Livy has been attracted to her best friend Jessie for as long as she can remember. The friendship is a little one side as she goes out of her way to do everything he asks and is always willing to lend a hand but he doesn’t return the favor. She wants to be more than his friend, but he has never seen her that way.

Chase is popular and the captain of the soccer team. When he approaches Livy and suggests that they pretend they are dating he believes it will solve both their problems as hopefully it
Garden Of REden
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
**REVIEWED BY CASSIE**

Bar
Liv starts as funnily oblivious up until circa 75% when she is extremely stupid (or just easily manipulated)
Jessie is new Mal. Worst friend ever. I get that only reason why L fell for him is what happened with her dad. J is an awful crude douchebag and i hate him so damn much.
Sophie is great friend and enjoyable side character

Chase is absolutely dreamy cute pie. Despite being most popular boy and star of the soccer team he is not some cruel, big-headed prick and, as it s gone quite popular in li
Konny
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Stand-In Boyfriend by Emma Doherty is the first book in her Grove Valley High series. The Stand-In Boyfriend is a full length standalone.
Livy Chapman is in love with Jessie Peterson since forever. Jessie has no clue and traets her as friend only. Livy is hurt by him again and again, he parades his girls in front of her.
Then there are the sports students, star player Chase and Aaron his best friend. Chase has his own aganda.
The Stand-In Boyfriend is a story with twists and turns that will ke
Liz
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Stand-in Boyfriend by Emma Doherty was such a fun read. Unrequited love sucks! Livy Chapman knows this well. She has loved her best friend Jessie Stephenson for a long time, but he only sees her as a friend. Enter Chase Mitchell. He likes Livy but knows she only sees Jessie, but when he offers a fake-relationship to avoid a pesky ex of sorts and at the same time, make Jessie take notice of Livy, she takes him up on his offer. Nothing can go wrong, right?

I loved Chase. He was so sweet and ca
Gemma
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
* I voluntarily reviewed this book after receiving an ARC copy *

I loved this book. The fake dating trope is always a good read and this book kept me hooked from start to finish as I couldn’t put it down. Livy chapman has been in love with her best friend for years and when the hottest, most popular boy at school comes up with a plan to get what they both want how could she refuse? It is a sweet and heart warming story filled with young love, teenage drama and hormones. Overall a brilliantly writ
Jennifer Soppe
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfectly captures the feelings and thoughts of high school

High school soccer player, Livy, has a crush on one of her best friends and Chase, the most popular boy and a soccer player, comes to her with a crazy idea that is supposed to be beneficial to them both. As the story progresses friendships are tested, not everything is pretend, and in the end what they thought they knew turns out to be wrong. Emma Doherty perfectly captures the feelings and thoughts of high school relationships, as I re
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »