Start by marking “The Story of Us” as Want to Read:
The Story of Us

The Story of Us

Two boys. One love. Ten summers.

Are you okay?
The first words Zed says to Caspian, and the first time someone has cared about the answer. On a hot summer’s day, the lives of two boys are changed forever. A rebel and a risk taker, Caspian doesn’t give a damn for the consequences. Studious and obedient, Zed is the good boy who is never good enough.

The two couldn’t be more dif
ebook
Published October 30th 2018 by Barbara Elsborg (first published October 28th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Us

Judith
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, favourite-author, m-m
"(...)This is our story.We can make it whatever we want it to be. "

The Story of Us is a thought provoking,emotional story about 2 young boys who meet in the summr of 2010 and the subsequent story follows their lives over ten summer's.

Aged 14 and 15 when they meet both boys don't have happy home lives and their struggles within their families were incredibly difficult to read at times.Caspian is just a little bit wild,a free spirit,always looking for new adventures.Zed is more cautious,he def
Wendy
5hj

I love this author. I have read many of her books and I have plenty of them in paperback in my bookcase. So the moment I heard about this one...I knew I had to read it....no question about it !!

Then I started this one, and within a few pages ....I wanted to close my book and throw my Kindle out of the window...

https://www.google.com/search?q=uncontrollable rage gif

I know this book has a trigger alert...but I am still gonna give out my own warning. This book deals with physical, psychological and emotional child abuse... and it damn near broke my bla
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
My first full 5 star read for the year, which makes this one my favorite book of 2018.

There really is no way I can do this book justice with a review.

It's a long book, which I dislike. It's YA-ish, which I dislike. It's low(ish) steam, which I dislike.

Yet, I loved every. single. word. of this book. Every moment of Caspian and Zed's journey. Every heartbreak, every struggle, every success, every bit of pain. Their friendship. Their connection. Their love for each other.

Their journey, their st
Jan
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq, favorites
**** 4.5 Stars ****

I adore this story so much.

The plot was such a breeze of fresh air told in a very irresistible and engaging voice!
The author brought the characters very close to me.
Zed and Caspian were adorable.
Secondary characters were also strong enough to make me care for them.
The angst, oh... sweet angst.Gotta love me some drama.

My highlight is hands down the transformation Capian's personality suffered, from a careless and confident boy to a broken one, soul crushed and self worth wi
Christelle
**5++ stars** because I felt so much…

”Two boys. One love. Ten summers.” This summarizes the story of Caspian and Zed, a story that hooked me right from the start and made me feel so many emotions. It moved me to no end.

Caspian and Zed are two teenagers (14 and 15 yo), living in the same small English town, both with different backgrounds, with different struggles to grow up into adulthood, with different personalities. One summer afternoon, their path crosses and from there, I witnessed a beau
Katerina

I was very lucky and had the great honor to read this beautiful and moving book early. It is emotional and has left a deep impression. Weeks later, both main characters are still in my thoughts. Although a lot of very fateful events happened, in the end remains a very positive mood in my mind, which is well captured in the cover picture of this book.

I LOVED Zed and Caspian and their story that touched my heart very deeply. And I'm looking forward to reading this book again very soon. The story i
Ariana
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
I am not a fan of YA, but there is the odd book in that genre that calls out to me.
This one was one of them, as the massive amount of 5 star reviews that came with it, as well as the promise of a great angsty story tempted me to go for it.

Did I regret it? Certainly not!
I like Barbara Elsborg's writing ('Falling' and 'Breaking' are two of my most favourite reads), but I think she really pulled out all the stops for this one.

As soon as I started it was like a vortex sucking me into the plot. It i
Kazza
God. This. Book. These boys. All. The. Goddamn. Emotions.

This is a very emotional coming-of-age story, complete with all the feelings - like happiness, fun, joy. Or sad and angry ones, like sorrow, hurt, fear, and disgust. They're all there, there isn't anything that isn't covered, so it's an intense rollercoaster that doesn't finish until the fantastic and uplifting end which, by the way, is about as perfect as possible, especially for a New Adult story.

The MCs, Zed and Caspian, go through the
Adam
DNF

If I could use one word to describe this book up until the point I read it, it would be ‘overkill.’

I’ve read many angst-filled books. The ones I have enjoyed the most, and the ones that have made their way on to my favourites shelf, have been those that flowed naturally.

It’s those ones that tugged at my heartstrings, and made me root for the MCs to get their happy ever after, making the heartbreak and pain worth it.

In ‘The Story of Us,’ one unrealistic scenario after another is thrown at Zed
Elsbeth
description

I'm at a loss of words... BE really put me through the wringer emotionally. I love when authors are able to do that.

Mannnnnnn. My heart breaks when I realise how many kids are unfortunate enough to be born and raised by despicable parents. The abuse these boys had to go through. It's a miracle there was a happy bone left.

This was truly their story. Their story towards their so deserved HEA.

During the book you get the idea Zed is given the roughest upbringing by being hit around. Yes it's absolut
Tess
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I sort of thought the author overdid it with the extent of the crap these kids went through (not quite believable) but then the last 30% or so really made up for it.

I also adored Henry and Jonas and would love to read their story ...
Lena♥Ribka

It was my first book by Barbara Elsborg but I dare to say she writes plot driven novels. A LOT of things happen, a LOT of twists. The author doesn’t waste too much time on interior monologues, her personal motto is probably dialogues instead of monologues. This way of telling makes the whole story fast-moving and easy to consume, and also kinda to a page turner because you just want to know what comes next and how it ends.

I can understand WHY the author is so popular withing the genre and I can
Truuss
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, m-m, 5plus2018-read
The Story of Us 5+++

An extraordinary story... one of a kind... one you’ll rarely meet.
Only at 23% and my heart already broke more than once. Horrible, painful circumstances.
I wanted to stop reading because this has just the triggers I can’t handle... deceive... lies... and because no one argues against it, a whole future goes to hell... but of course I didn’t stop... I tortured myself.

Zed flew from one living prison into the other and somehow he survived it.
Caspian had no other story. Life was
Christine
Where do I begin?
Where did these boys get such strength at such a young age? I was constantly broken and put back together while reading this story.
And angry!! Boy was I angry. I wanted to reach through the pages and break some necks!

This was a story full of despair, heartbreak, betrayal, loyalty, joy, love and healing.
I cried and laughed in equal measure.
This book will forever have a place in my heart.
It’s one of my best reads and has taken it’s place on my favorites list. It was perfect.
Alex
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angst, emotional, ya
There should be a trigger warning here.
Child abuse is depict very thoroughly and it was very hard at time to read it.

I'm not going to go into a long review. I'm still too much in the feelings this story brought on.
The book is long but I was completely captivated, from start to end.

This author is so good with the angst. So good with everything.

Words fail me a little here.
I just LOVED it! Just read it!!

Bev
a4259a18-f62f-4287-a2a1-ef8a00d28804_zpsmad62bn8

Dear Madame Author...

Can you write YA?? Can you also pull off an historical novel whilst getting a message across?? Most definitely YES and YES!! Do NOT doubt yourself in future....

lots of gold stars_zpsqdswsuvh

I ADORED Zed and Caspian, and was quite taken with Jonas and Henry too 😍. There were happy and sad tears, some chuckles [it's Barbara after all] but I was on a very short fuse indeed with Caspian's appalling parents, Zed's hateful father and brother...and with the impossibly religious cretins who interfere in other
Natalie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ugly cry alert! Do read the warnings at the front of the book but mostly it deals with physical and emotional abuse of children. As the story begins it seems like Zed has a harder life than Caspian but in the end you can’t weigh one kind of abuse against another. Caspian certainly ends walking a much more difficult road to happiness than Zed. I loved these two boys to pieces and my heart broke for them so many times. Even as they grew older, even when there were wonderful things happening, I’d e ...more
Emily Seelye
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, m-m
This is a beautiful story of two neighbors who meet as teenagers, become best friends and fall in love over the course of several summers.

I really enjoyed this. I loved Zed and Caspian’s devotion to each other, even through some long separations. I was so happy when they finally were able to start building a life together and got the HEA they deserved.

*I voluntarily read an ARC
Amy
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2018, lgbtq
Wow, these two boys completely stole my heart. Especially Caspian. I adore him. This is so much more than just a YA romance, there's so much more going on. Family drama, betrayals, doubts and insecurities, religion, etc. The storyline was fantastic and kept me engaged the whole time. One of my favorite reads this year!
haletostilinski
4.5 stars!

Wow. What a roller coaster ride this was.

Getting to read Zed and Caspian's journey together was both uplifting and heartbreaking. Their absolute love for each other was amazing and their commitment to each other was lovely, but also the pain and angst they go through is devastating at times.

I felt the most bad for Caspian throughout this book. Because his family was horrible to him, his father treated him like utter crap, and the betrayal that happens was so utterly disgusting and de
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing

5 INCREDIBLE STARS!

Sad boy in blue
You cry with white loneliness
For technicolour hopes and dreams
Your future grey
Unless you find the sun

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Thank you for the gift, Elf sleuthing a la Elmer Fudd!!!
Sheri
I’ve been dragging my feet with this review. Which is entirely unfair but I was struggling to properly describe my overwhelming thoughts. Still am, to be honest. So, here goes and apologies in advance.

This isn’t just a story…but an experience.
This experience isn’t just moving…it’s a string of explosions.
These explosions transfer from the pages…and directly hit your heart.

I was furious.
I was terrified.
I was devastated.
I was overcome with joy so bright, I couldn’t see the words.
I’m sure the te

You cry with white loneliness
For technicolour hopes and dreams
Your future grey
Unless you find the sun

We’ve read many books by the wonderful Barbara Elsborg. So many stories met so many brilliant characters and had so many emotions ranging from sheer joy to extreme heartbreak. The story of Us is without question our favourite story of them all, written by this magnificent and versatile Author. We cannot even begin to express how we felt whilst reading and how we feel now that we ha
Lelyana
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lelyana by: Zane Kage
Buddy read with Zane Kage.

This is our story. We can make it whatever we want it to be.

Young love is rarely stay forever. However, Zed and Caspian made it happen, but not without shred their blood, literally.
I love reading about young love, but you know about my feeling about their tortured life in books, or wherever in reality. My heart is always bleeding.

I'm a muslim myself, I know some people (many of them), who has view Islam like Zed's father. Alhamdulillah I was raised in Indonesia in
Bookreader87(Amanda)
Z💜C

So much sadness and drama happened in this one. How can two people endure so much pain? A lot of what these two suffered was at the hands of people who they were supposed to trust. It was heartbreaking and frustrating. There was more sad times than happy ones in this book. It just brought me down.
Will go in to more detail later...
Mercedes
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance

Loved this very engaging story. Some missed words and such but generally minor things that I was able to ignore thanks to the great tale.
Anna
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jedna z najlepszych książek jakie czytałam w tym roku!!!
Kristalia
Final Rating: 5/5

Caspian laughed. “You remember when we first met?”
Zed gaped at him. “Of course I do. I remember every little thing. How you pretended to be stuck up a tree. How you made a den with me even though you had a fantastic treehouse yards away.”
“I remember how lonely I was. How lonely you were. That was the beginning of our story.”
“And it will go on forever.”
Caspian smiled. “Forever.”

Where do I even begin? Because this was a story worth remembering. This was a story about families
Amelia
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book but it also left me sad and disappointed. The love story between Zed and Caspian was lovely. But as a Muslim it was hard to read this book. It seems as though all the negativity and prejudice you can find online about Islam and Muslims has found its way to this book. Not one of the Muslim characters had something positive to bring. The Islam and Muslims where portrayed as inhuman savages who are full of hatred. Our costumes were portrayed without any context and putt in ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Beneath the Stain - Part Seven
  • Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation
  • Lima Oscar Victor Echo and The Truth About Everything
  • Unquiet (Resilient Love #3)
  • An Infatuation (In My Heart #1)
  • The Silver Tide (The Copper Cat, #3)
  • Block and Strike
  • Lane’s (Life According to Maps #3)
  • Boy Shattered
  • Antisocial
  • Lucky
  • Into the Light (Avery, #2)
  • Tempest (Playing the Fool, #3)
  • Spencer (Survivor Stories #3)
  • Alaska (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • The Touch Of Hope
  • Phoenix Reborn (The Phoenix Chronicles Book 3)
  • Into You
Barbara Elsborg lives in Kent in the south of England. She always wanted to be a spy, but having confessed to everyone without them even resorting to torture, she decided it was not for her. Vulcanology scorched her feet. A morbid fear of sharks put paid to marine biology. So instead, she spent several years successfully selling cyanide.

After dragging up two rotten, ungrateful children and frustra