Start by marking “Kuningannade mäng. Naised, kes valitsesid 16. sajandi Euroopat (TERRA FEMINARUM #2)” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  884 ratings  ·  152 reviews
Periood Kastiilia Isabeli trooniletõusust 1474. aastal kuni Prantsusmaal peaaegu sajand hiljem toimunud Pärtliöö veresaunani oli kuningannade ajastu. Sel ajavahemikul toimus naiste valitsuses justkui plahvatus, mis andis silmad ette kahekümnendale sajandilegi. Need aastad olid ka tunnistajaks uue, reformitud religiooni sünnile ja meie tänapäevase maailma koidikule. Ja ...more
Hardcover, TERRA FEMINARUM #2, 432 pages
Published November 21st 2018 by Argo (first published October 6th 2016)

Girl From the North Country It was a purported painting of Catherine Parr, by an anonymous painter, circa 1545. Not sure of origin specs, but i think it was housed at Lambeth…moreIt was a purported painting of Catherine Parr, by an anonymous painter, circa 1545. Not sure of origin specs, but i think it was housed at Lambeth Palace. It has since been considered a spurious ID by the National Portrait Gallery, who say it's Katherine of Aragon. I'm inclined to believe them- it looks a lot like a host of women of that era, except Parr, don't you think? Parr's portraits are all pretty similar, this one looks nothing like them. Here's an article on it: http://www.npg.org.uk/research/conser...(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Kuningannade mäng. Naised, kes valitsesid 16. sajandi Euroopat (TERRA FEMINARUM #2)
Deborah Pickstone

Interesting look at the role of women in the 15th and 16th centuries, showing that they were far more influential than might at first appear. Sarah Gristwood covers a lot of royal women of Europe and gives detailed accounts of that influence. I was given a small introduction to many of the women I knew of in that era but had not known much about them - I am now eager to learn more about most of them! I held back one half of a star - this was because, especially in the section detailing
Jeanette
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous history. Griswold is genius in her depth of context and "eyes" for all nuance for this pivotal 16th century. 4.5 stars. Only reason for my not rounding up is the complexity. It is perhaps only in my own inability to follow such inter-related lines of heredity and multiple titled nomenclature.

Her gender cognition for every character is 5 star. As is the personality and core self identity for myriad women AND men. The research is intensive and the charting and photos some of the most
N.N. Light
I loved this book because it describes in detail these female rulers who ran Europe in the 16th century. As a woman, I found this very insightful and the author didn't demean the women. It also inspired me to continue to go against the grain and be great! Highly recommend!

My Rating: 4.5 stars
BAM The Bibliomaniac
The sixteenth chapter witnessed a proliferation of royal women of power. from Isabella of Castile to Mary Tudor to Louise of Savoy to Elizabeth Tudor, there are direct lines of associations to these great ladies. What's to be remembered though is the great historical movements these women witnessed as heads of state, most importantly the Reformation.
The beginning of this book was new information for me, but as the century progressed, the history became more rote. If one is an English of French
Carole P. Roman
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detailed and wonderfully written book celebrating powerful queens of Western Europe. Starting with Isabella of Spain and ending with Elizabeth I . Gristwood writes of the various women from England, The Netherlands, Spain, Hungary, and France and how they impacted history. Isabella of Spain broke the mold as a warrior queen, setting the precedent of a woman taking control of her country as well as standing beside her troops in battle. With each new personality, Gristwood shows how they ...more
Orsolya
History makes it very clear that women often held a diminished (or even non-existent) role in politics, leadership, and even the marital sphere. The female gender, however, had more of an influence and control than one perceives especially during that of Medieval/Renaissance Europe. Sarah Gristwood brings to the forefront examples of these lionesses in, “Game of Queens: The Women Who Made Sixteenth-Century Europe”.

In “Games of Queens”, Gristwood attempts to highlight the roles and interactions
Bandit
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the 16th century Europe there was a significant amount of behind the scenes and occasionally center stage of female power. Sarah Gristwood has in this book attempted to make it into a cohesive zeitgeist of the era. So was there a mighty female sisterhood in the 1500s? This book doesn't really convince of it. Exhaustive as it is exhausting, the narrative jumps across timelines and countries at a flickeringly mad or madly flickering rate, bouncing between the characters named out of such a ...more
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Solid 3.5/5

I enjoyed this nonfiction about the influential reigns of various queens across Europe in 1500s. It's a fresh look at politics in a tumultuous century and how women wielded power unexpectedly often during those trying times.

It isn't perfect: the text can be speculative and repetitive, but it's a fascinating read -- the earliest chapters in particular because they focus on figures like Louise of Savoy, Margaret Tudor, and Margaret of Austria. More well-known queens (Katherine of
Anna
"Game of Queens" was a fascinating read, focusing on the power and chessboard politics of various queens, regents and important women of the sixteenth century. Author Sarah Gristwood really knows her stuff, and her writing is clear and factual without becoming dry.

I knew a lot about many of the women going in (Anne Boleyn, Katharine of Aragon, Mary Queen of Scots, Elizabeth I, Mary I) but it was definitely nice to revisit these figures and to be able to fit what I know of them into the larger
Margaret
Fascinating look at the woman who dominated sixteenth century Europe. There are names most people know, like Isabelle of Castille, her daughter - Katherine of Aragon, and Anne Boelyn. But also women less known to the average person like Margaret of Hungary, Louise of Savoy, and Jeanne De'Albrecht.

A deeply interesting book showcasing the female and often feminist side of history.

Highly recommended.
Rick Slane
This is like a college text book for a course on powerful women from Isabella I of Spain to Elizabeth I of England. I believe it was written in anticipation of Ms.Clinton joining Merkel and May on the world stage as the most powerful group of women rulers since the 16th century.
Rebecca
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a Tudor England fan(especially QEI), I found this book fascinating and rich in detail. Anne Boleyn and her magnificent daughter QEI are significant characters in this history of powerful 16th century queens,(someday Catherine of Aragon will finally receive the public respect for being a battle queen)but you learn so much more about the continental queens. Isabella of Castile, Catherine de Medici,Margaret of Austria, and Louise of Savoy are powerful women who will fascinate you. I found this ...more
Liz
Sep 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Does not work as popular history: short choppy chapters that whip back and forth between the various women, with no real feeling for said women so it is hard to tell them apart. Does not work as history: don't feel her argument very convincing that this group of women were all that powerful. Like most women, they were pawns dealt by the men in their lives (fathers, husbands, brothers, whatever), and even if they were named regent for a child it was more or less an interim thing that could and ...more
Rose
Really enjoyable book, filled in my knowledge of the history of the time period (1500s) very nicely. I especially liked how it linked events in England, France, and the Holy Roman Empire - Spain, the Netherlands, the German states, and covered the role of religious dispute and reformation in a very clear and nonpartisan way.
Melissa
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history

While reading this, I couldn't help wonder why I was struggling with it. It's a historical period I enjoy reading about with the additional bonus of focusing on the women in power. I have very much enjoyed previous books by this author so it wasn't the writing style. Having finished, I've concluded that it was simply that Gristwood tried to cover too many people and too long of a time period. It needed a tighter focus so that more depth could be explored for me to enjoy it.
Thatmostpeculiarmademoiselle
Absolutely brilliant book on equally brilliant and interesting women. I am quite familiar with what was happening in France, England and Scotland, so it was nice to learn more about other European countries and figures. Highly recommend!
Lois
I quite enjoyed this.
I could do without the weird sexist tropes around Anne Boleyn but otherwise fantastic.
Meghana34
Fabulous history. I've always thought so. The sixteenth century was a time of various political and religious conflicts. It was all so very riveting. Why, then, is 'Game of Queens' terribly slow at times?

The answer to that is because it is not a history. It is discussion of how the queens related to each other. 'Game of Queens' isn't just a catchy title; it is a theme repeatedly emphasised. "Juana would be no player in the game of queens...." Gristwood forces down our throats the idea of
Helen Carolan
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Ms. Gristwood and this book, like her previous 2, didn't disappoint. A fascinating look at "the women who made 16th century Europe". There are too many to mention, but all were strong, powerful women. A truly wonderful read.
Susan Abernethy
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Link to my review of this book:

Elizabeth S
Kings are fascinating. We can learn an endless amount about history by studying them, and I even have favorites who I find particularly interesting.

But queens are major players in their own right, too.

Game of Queens by Sarah Gristwood highlights the royal women who made sixteenth century Europe what it was.

Of course, both Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots are widely known figures. But there were plenty of other women across the continent who made immeasurable impacts.

One especially well done
Katheryn Thompson
I find the Renaissance period one of the most fascinating in history and, especially when the focus is so often on England and on men, I was therefore extremely excited to win a copy of Game of Queens in a Goodreads giveaway. And I wasn't disappointed.

Gristwood both presents the stories of individual queens, and weaves their stories together to show their impact on one another and on Europe as a whole, using the analogy of a chessboard throughout without forcing it too hard upon the reader. The
Liz
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
I found this book to be a bit too general for me, but I will concede that the book's premise necessitated this, and that Gristwood's Blood Sisters, which I read last year, was much the same. I appreciated the new perspective into how common and influential female rulers were during the 16th century, as well as the little anecdotes sprinkled throughout the book. Jeanne d'Albret particularly impressed me, as did her mother Marguerite of Navarre, Elizabeth I, and her own mother, Anne Boleyn. :)
Sophie Le
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This reads with the fluidity of an epic novel. Despite the staggering number of characters on this historical stage, Gristwood does a wonderful job revolving through their stories and tying together all of these women and their trajectories in and out of power. The book is very well-organized, largely in chronological order; Gristwood makes a solid case for the sixteenth century being an "age of women" for Europe.
Katie
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Margaret of Austria was such a badass. This book tries to accomplish so much in relatively few pages, but my main takeaway is that Margaret was straight up Boss Lady #1.

Sarah Gristwood has a gift for exploring an insane amount of detail in a readable way. I tore through this book and my only complaint is that she tried to achieve so much. We get to read about queens of England, France, Scotland, Spain, and the Netherlands...in 324 pages. Are you kidding me? Each of the women in this book could
Linda
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely riveting group biography of the queens and other women who changed the face of sixteenth-century Europe. From Isabelle of Castile through the reign of Elizabeth I of England, this is a fascinating and well-researched epic of the women who became queens, soldiers, mothers, allies and enemies. A must-read for anyone fascinated by European history.
Jazmin A
Covers a lot of ground well, but I found that the last few chapters were rushed and difficult to get through. Enjoyed the queen on a chessboard analogy throughout, though I'd hoped for more dialogue or narrative finessing as it seemed to get a little too textbook towards the end.
Jennifer Klempner
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew some of the women who were discussed but knew nothing about others. It was a very good read about other women in the 16th century who influenced the politics and religion of the age (and who you never hear about).
Sarah Bryson
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starting at the beginning of the 16th century with the strong, warrior like figure of Queen Isabella of Castile and ending with the powerful Queens of Elizabeth I and Catherine de' Medici; Gristwood’s book explores the often overlooked women of Europe who played vitally important roles in the political and religious happenings of the time. Sadly women were often overlooked, the focus being on their male counterparts. Gristwood pulls back the covers and exposes many important, influential women ...more
Heidi Malagisi
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When one thinks about strong women in the sixteenth century, many turn their attention towards women like Elizabeth I, Isabella of Castile, Katherine of Aragon, Mary I and Catherine de Medici. These seemed like extraordinary examples of the power that stretched the boundaries on what was right and acceptable for women of the time. That, however, couldn’t be further from the truth. In fact, the sixteenth century in Europe was filled with powerful women who do not get the attention that they ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Queens of the Conquest: England’s Medieval Queens
  • Elizabeth's Rival: The Tumultuous Life of the Countess of Leicester: The Romance and Conspiracy that Threatened Queen Elizabeth's Court
  • Daughters of the Winter Queen: Four Remarkable Sisters, the Crown of Bohemia, and the Enduring Legacy of Mary, Queen of Scots
  • Young and Damned and Fair: The Life of Catherine Howard, Fifth Wife of King Henry VIII
  • Queen Victoria's Matchmaking: The Royal Marriages that Shaped Europe
  • Forgotten Royal Women: The King and I
  • The Rival Queens: Catherine de' Medici, Her Daughter Marguerite de Valois, and the Betrayal that Ignited a Kingdom
  • Four Princes: Henry VIII, Francis I, Charles V, Suleiman the Magnificent and the Obsessions that Forged Modern Europe
  • Isabella of Castile: Europe's First Great Queen
  • Crown of Blood: The Deadly Inheritance of Lady Jane Grey
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens
  • Queen Isabella: Treachery, Adultery, and Murder in Medieval England
  • The Private Lives of the Tudors
  • The Eighteenth-Century Woman
  • Sarah Churchill Duchess of Marlborough: The Queen's Favourite
  • Stolen Remains (Lady of Ashes, #2)
  • A Dream of Death (Kate Hamilton Mysteries #1)
  • The Lost Tudor Princess: The Life of Lady Margaret Douglas
Sarah Gristwood attended Oxford and then worked as a journalist specializing in the arts and women's issues. She has contributed to The Times, Guardian, Independent, and Evening Standard.
“With Edward’s death imminent, questions of whether a woman could succeed were irrelevant. The only question was, which woman?” 0 likes
“Many of the battles these women fought are still relevant.

Almost thirty years ago, Antonia Fraser, in her groundbreaking book Boadicea’s Chariot, traced the line of ‘warrior queens’ from the ancient world to the Iron Lady. She identified several tropes of female leadership-the Chaste Syndrome and the Voracity Syndrome, the role of a woman as Holy (Armed) Figurehead or Peacemaker-and traced them from Celtic mythology and the Roman Empire to the female leaders of her own day: Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher, Indira Gandhi.”
0 likes