Start by marking “The Bloodied Rose (The Black Library Novella Series 1 #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bloodied Rose (The Black Library Novella Series 1 #1)

The Bloodied Rose

(The Black Library Novella Series 1 #1)

From the blasphemy of the fallen… Our Emperor, deliver us. At the edge of the Imperium sits the fetid jungle world of Lautis. Amidst the creeping foliage and ancient monuments, a horror is rising. From the depths of a crumbling cathedral come bloodied nightmares, intent on fulfilling their dark purpose by any means necessary. Only one thing stands in their way: the ...more
Kindle Edition
Published November 10th 2018 by Black Library

To ask other readers questions about The Bloodied Rose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bloodied Rose

Start your review of The Bloodied Rose (The Black Library Novella Series 1 #1)
Alice
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A genuinely fun read, with brilliant pacing that showed off a flare for the dramatic and a proper understanding of how to build tension.

I really enjoyed how information was revealed as the story went on. My 40k knowledge is rudimentary at best, so being faced with a puzzle (especially a blood soaked, Chaos ridden one) that had the characters baffled was brilliant. It’s one of the few 40k stories I’ve read that doesn’t feel like I needed a codex with me while I was reading it. The story felt
Michael
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic novella. Very descriptive of the Warhammer universe and had a lot of insight on the Sisters of Battle. I would like to read more about the Sisters of the Bloody Rose. Augusta’s group of warriors were very interesting to read about.

Eileen
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nobledark, own-kindle
The Sisters of Battle are sometimes described casually in the fandom as the Space Marines' female counterparts. While the space nuns with guns share a culture of monastic austerity, rigid discipline, martial valor, and undying fanaticism, it is more accurate to say they are the human version of the Space Marines. For all their zeal, the Sisters are also jumpy and anxious when confronted with an ominous mystery and experience fear in battle that causes them to freeze or fall back on singing and ...more
Hawke Embers
Nov 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A good read with an interesting premise, Danie Ware's use of pros is a pleasure to read! Though sadly; an obvious use of charter categorisation pulled me out of the experience enough to keep this story from being a page turner for me.

Going into this I was exited! Finally, a new Sisters of Battle novella/story and featuring the Order of the Bloody Rose no less! As someone with an actual SoB Bloody Rose force I was very interested in picking this one up.

The opening to this book is pretty amazing.
Michael Dodd
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This picks up the story of Sister Superior Augusta after the events of the short story Mercy - having returned to the Convent Sanctorum of the Order of the Bloody Rose to rest and induct the newest member of the squad, Augusta and her Sisters are unexpectedly ordered back to Lautis, the site of their recent confrontation with the orks. The Sisters sent in to secure Lautis have gone silent, and Augusta’s mission report questioned, so she is tasked with returning and finishing what she started.

It
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
So this the first novella from the Black Library new novela series that started yesteryear.
In the Bloodied Rose we follow a group of Sororitas from the Order of the Bloody Rose. They are going back to Lautis to try to understand what happened to the world they deemed cleansed and as another group of Sororitas and a mechanicum team went missing.

We follow Sister Superior Augusta, Jatoya (2nd in command), Viola, Melia, Caia & Akemi (the newcomer) as they uncover what happened and their battle
Declan Waters
Danie Ware returns with a story form the Sisters of Battle. Sister Augusta returns to the planet of Lautis which she previously declared safe. Now another group of Sisters has gone missing the Augusta and her sqaud of Adepta Sororitas must investigate the cause.

This is a great Warhammer 40k novella with everything a regular reader might expect. The novels of the Adepta Soroitas (alongside those of the Astra Militarum) are always interesting as they are essentially humans surviving and coping in
Evil Kipper
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Superb sci-fi action

Dannie’s storytelling is fantastic, with amazing action scenes and battles not detracting from really strong characters. The Sisters of Battle in Warhammer 40k are often just seen as last stand material (always wiped out to make the enemy look tough), but here we see strong confident warriors with a range of unique and interesting personalities. The only criticism I have is that it’s just a novella - I’d love to see Danie write a full novel for these characters so I can read
Jonathan Strugnell
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great continuation to the Sisters of Battle story began in Mercy, this time in a longer novella.

We are back following the same squad on a different mission to fight a unknown enemy. The building sense of doom and the pacing is great. The decent through the caves builds the fear wonderfully and you get a great sense of emersion. The final fight I wont spoil but the sense of scale and the Sisters belief if brilliant.

I look forward to reading more by Danie Ware.
Zackary
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting intro to the black library!

This is book 1 of the novella series that's supposed to be an intro to the Black Library. I like how the sisters of battle sing during fighting. It was well paced and pretty interesting. I bought the book Mercy which is supposed to include these characters because I enjoyed them so much.
Christian
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A Sister Superior and her squad return to a world they liberated to investigate the disappearance of colonists. The characters are interesting, the mystery and action are fine. There are even seeds of a greater mystery ahead that I would like to read about. The readership needs far FAR more Sisters of Battle literature.
Mark
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: black-library, 2019
“Augusta looked up at the ziggurat as though she made her promise to the Emperor Himself. ‘Whatever did this, we will find it. ‘And we will be its ending.’ “

“Bloodied Rose” is the novella-length follow-up to the short story “Mercy”, but “Mercy” is by no means necessary pre-reading. “Bloodied Rose” is far superior and stands fine on its own

I don’t believe it matters where you place the short story “Forsaken” in the sequence. It’s a background story about the protagonist of both “Mercy” and “
Tomas
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
For Sisters fans you'll really enjoy this. For fans of any other particular faction in the Warhammer 40k universe, it's still fun, as the main story deals with facing off with a bloodthirsty horde of Khornate daemons. Very entertaining with lots of action to keep the attention and pages moving. My only regret was that it was so short.
Steve
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this- I have not read many stories focused on the Sisters of Battle, unfortunately (despite them being my primary 40K army), so reading this was extremely enjoyable and interesting. Not quite a mystery, but definitely an adventure of exploration, with a few pieces of action interspersed. Definitely worth a read.
Billy Bob Raby
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
John
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, owned, sci-fi
This was a fun read; I like the Sororitas as a faction and I thought they were handled well here. If she does a full novel with the faction I expect I'll read it.
Jack Volante
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A decent start to BL's novella series and a worthy sequel to Mercy. Nice to read more about Sister Augusta's, all-singing and all-killing, Adepta Sororitas squad.
Sadie Hall
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Page-turner!
Keamy Loken
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short and fun read, it’s nice to see the sister’s of battle getting a little love. And it being good quality at that.
Oliver Whitehead
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Easy read, nothing spectacular but not horrible. If you like shooty shooty bad people then you can't go wrong with this one.
Joanna
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diese Ordensschwestern haben nichts mit den Nonnen gemein, wie wir sie kennen. Diese Schwestern sind trainiert dazu, das Licht des Imperators zu bringen und wenn es sein muss, dafür zu sterben. Sie sind schwer bewaffnet und scheuen sich nicht, diese Waffen einzusetzen.

Auf nur 166 Seiten steigen wir hinab in die Dunkelheit und zusammen mit den Schwestern stehen wir unglaublichen Gräueln gegenüber. Danie Ware hat sehr viel Atmosphäre in die Novelle gepackt, wer Angst vor dunklen Höhlen hat, sollte
Cody Pierson
Feb 05, 2019
Neil Saunders
Nov 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Spear of the Emperor (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Requiem Infernal (Dark Coil)
  • The Solar War (The Siege of Terra #1)
  • Maledictions (Warhammer Horror)
  • Plague War (Dark Imperium #2)
  • The Wicked and the Damned (Warhammer Horror)
  • Black Library Celebration 2019 (Black Library Celebration 2019)
  • Honourbound (Severina Raine)
  • Celestine: The Living Saint (Warhammer 40,000)
  • Anarch (Gaunt's Ghosts #15)
  • Blackstone Fortress
  • The Lost and the Damned (The Siege of Terra #2)
  • Inferno! Volume 1
  • Dark Imperium (Dark Imperium #1)
  • The Carrion Throne (Vaults of Terra #1)
  • The Hollow Mountain (Vaults of Terra #2)
  • Warped Galaxies: Attack of the Necron
  • Apocalypse (Space Marine Conquests #5)
Author of the Ecko trilogy (a bitingly sarcastic CyberPunk/Fantasy mashup) and Children of Artifice (an LGBT science fantasy). Also writes Sisters of Battle for the Black Library and Judge Anderson for Rebellion, plus numerous short stories.

Single Mum, crusader geek, champion platespinner. Role-player, re-enactor, cat-lover and fitness freak. Conjures events and social media for Forbidden Planet

The Black Library Novella Series 1 (10 books)
  • Steel Daemon (Black Library Novella Series 1, #2)
  • Auric Gods (The Black Library Novella Series 1 #3)
  • Spear Of Ultramar (Black Library Novella Series 1, #4)
  • Dreadwing (Black Library Novella Series 1, #5)
  • Wanted: Dead (The Black Library Novella Series 1 #6)
  • Warqueen (Black Library Novella Series 1, #7)
  • The Red Hours (Black Library Novella Series 1, #8)
  • The Bone Desert (Black Library Novella Series 1, #9)
  • Heart of Winter (Black Library Novella Series 1, #10)