Start by marking “Antiheroes” as Want to Read:
Antiheroes

Antiheroes

Seven science fiction and fantasy stories about antiheroes:

-A man determined to get justice for his family, no matter the cost
-A gynoid with two conflicting programming directives
-A teenage boy determined to protect the people who have become his friends
-A monster slayer who is not everything she appears to be
-A young cyborg who makes an unthinkable choice in hopes o
Published November 17th 2018 by Kydala Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Antiheroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antiheroes

Start your review of Antiheroes
E.B. Dawson
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This anthology is packed with relatable characters, thought-provoking themes, and unforgettable adventures! Science fiction, cyberpunk, fantasy, fairytale retelling, space opera, contemporary fantasy...there is something in here for everyone. I'm going to say a few quick words about the individual stories.

The Wolf at the Door- A mysterious tale with lots of twists and turns. Shultz packs in his usual wit and cleverness. This story has some dark and brooding undertones. I kept thinking about thi
R.M. Archer
The Wolf at the Door: I was laughing so hard at the introduction to this one. The reader is warned not to keep reading... but obviously I ignored the warnings and continued on. After that it gets more serious, but Shultz masterfully weaves in bits of fairytale, the creatures that inhabit the world are intriguing, and the ending is not what you expect.

Vengeance Hunter: Hannah Heath's worldbuilding is amazing. It's woven in beautifully, it's rich and detailed, and it always leaves you wanting to know more an/>Vengeance
Janelle Garrett
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this anthology! Here is my ratings in no particular order...

VENGEANCE HUNTER: 5 stars
I’m already a huge fan of Heath’s work, and she certainly doesn’t disappoint with this story. I’m in awe of how, with a short story, she can write such well-rounded, deep characters. The world is diverse, the plot intriguing, and like every other story she writes, it leaves me wishing it was longer. Some of her descriptions took my breath away.

STRIKER: 5 stars
Dawson impresses me with
Nancy Pierce
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This Anthology is an amazing way to discover new authors and enjoy familiar ones.

At first, I was hesitant spending time on authors I was unfamiliar with. Instead, I found myself enjoying stories that I would normally not pick up. For example, The Word Thrower is not normally a book that I would select. Yet author Beth Wangler wrote an amazing story about the power of words. There were also some favorite authors of mine who did not disappoint: K. L. + Pierce, Hannah Heath, J.E. Purraz
Hufflepuff Book Reviewer
The Pheonix Fiction antihero anthology is a fun, creative, and diverse collection of stories written by seven promising speculative fiction authors! Below are my reviews of the individual stories.

The Wolf at the Door by Kyle Robert Shultz: 2 out of 5 stars

I’ll be honest and just say that The Wolf at the Door isn’t really my taste. The story has a markedly different tone than anything else Shultz has ever written, and I applaud him for branching out. Anyone who wants to get the
Katelyn Buxton
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
~ I received a free advanced review copy of this book, therefore all of the following opinions are my own ~

The authors at Phoenix Fiction never disappoint!

The Wolf at the Door
Kyle Robert Shultz
My rating: ★★★★★
A retelling of Red-Riding Hood with a fresh take on the Wolf! Need I say more? (Plus, y’know, everyone likes being called a nitwit by their favorite Mr. Malcolm sass-dragon Blackfire.)

Vengeance Hunter
Hannah Heath
My rating: ★★★
Vampires are an inherently dark topic, and this/>My/>Vengeance/>My/>The
Justice
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: indie
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I’m a huge fan of lists, so here’s a list of my thoughts on each individual story. Some stories get more thoughts than others, for no particular reason.

The Wolf at the Door: I think this is one of Kyle’s strongest short stories yet. It’s got a sinister setting, magical monsters, and some great twists. I don’t know how well you’ll follow if you haven’t read much of Beaumont and Beasley, but if you have, you won’t be dissapointed.
/>The
Holland S.M.
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this an arc for my honest review.
I enjoyed this anthology and was pleasantly surprised as I have not read all of these authors before. There is something for everyone in this collection of short stories. A couple of the stories were not my favorite and missed the mark for me due to style.
Other than that, it was a fun read!
Bethany Fehr
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I was so impressed by Phoenix Fiction's original anthology, so I was super excited to read this one. Once again, I was blown away by the creativity and craftsmanship of these authors. This anthology has given me some insight into how to be a better writer, and the difficult decisions the characters are forced to face will keep me thinking.

The Wolf at the Door:

Even though I read this story be
Aristae Henricus
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this anthology! I loved seeing the different authors' skill sets and strengths displayed. So many thought provoking stories.

-THE WOLF AT THE DOOR:
Kyle did an amazing job with this story that took elements of Little Red Riding Hood and other stories creating a thrilling, yet creepy story. I honestly don't know how I slept at all after reading this.

-VENGEANCE HUNTER:
Hannah Heath did a stellar job with this vampiristic story. I normally don't like stories like th
Kay Smillie
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this anthology. Seven very different worlds, and not one of them less than a 4*. I will only mention the 5* stories:

The Astoundingly Mortal Peril of Donna Dorwin - Nate Philbrick
I really enjoyed this story. It's so different. I'm sure some readers would call it old-fashioned and perhaps skip it completely, but they don't know what they are missing. So funny, and I had no idea where the story was heading. Excellent. Drew me in from the first page.

Ven
Nate Philbrick
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
My status as a participating author in this anthology has not affected my review as a reader, so I can honestly say that the authors whose stories are featured are truly dedicated to their craft. Each story stands out in its own unique way, and they're so different from each other despite having a common trait in the antihero figure.

Due to the uniqueness and differences of approach from each author, some of the stories included content I wasn't comfortable with (for example, some ins
emrys merlin
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Wolf at the Door: 3.5/5
The Wolf at the Door is a fun, "not everything is as it seems" ride. Complete with many twists and turns, bad ass old women, and an intro by everyone's favorite snarky dragon, this story is sure to entertain!
The only reasons I gave it 3 stars is because I thought it lacked the usual oomph and wit of Shultz's other stories (though, kuddos to him for breaking out of his usual mold)

Vengeance Hunter: 5/5
Wow! There's honestly so much I could say about this st
Hannah Heath
This anthology is incredible, and I am so proud to be a part of it. Each story is unique, and each brings something new and exciting to the collection. I loved seeing how every Phoenix Fiction writer's style and voice shone through their antiheroes. Though we all wrote the same character type, we all took on different themes and explored different aspects of humanity. I'm in awe.

The Wolf at the Door Kyle Robert Shultz - I loved all of the twists and turns this story took. Little Red Riding Hood
Elza Kinde
This collection of SciFi and Fantasy stories spans cities, planets, and universes that showcase the creativity of seven authors when it comes to building worlds, twisting a mean plot, and crafting a compelling antihero.

Antiheroes features some amazing stories that range from exciting escapade to vindictive quest. While many leave an in for continuation, they all stand well on their own despite generally leaving off on some kind of cliffhanger. You know who you are.

Top favorites for m/>
K.L. + Pierce
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
So many wonderful stories! RTC!
Grace Crandall
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was awesome!

Firstly, I really love the premise of this anthology. Most of the short story collections I’ve read have been sorted by author or genre; this is the first and only one I’ve seen that was crafted around a character archetype. It was so fascinating to see eight authors, each with such solid and disparate styles, tones, and genres, all tackle the same idea. It made for a really interesting read—the book seemed to fit and flow together as an entity in itself, instead of
Eleanor
My God. Guys, this anthology blew me away. I hadn't read anything from any of these authors before, and to be honest, I wasn't expecting much. I downloaded it on a whim because someone recommended one of the stories to me. And I'm so glad I did.

Without further ado, let's break down what I loved (and maybe what I didn't) about each of these stories.

"The Wolf at the Door" by Kyle Robert Shultz
This was SUCH a strong beginning to this anthology. It's a brilliant, innovative retelling of/>
Azelyn Klein
(Review originally found on Word Storm .)

I received an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review. I want to thank the Phoenix Fiction Writers for their anthology and for helping me practice how to properly spell the word “antiheroes.” (Nailed it!) All opinions are my own.

As this book is not a traditional novel but rather a short story anthology, I found myself confronted with the unique pursuit that was writing a review. With so many different authors and stories,
Beth Wangler
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This anthology is fantastic! On every page, it's clear that each author poured so much time and attention into their story. I was pleasantly surprised by how many different directions these stories, which all started in the same place—antiheroes—ended up with such vastly different approaches and themes. Each one was a gem.

My favorite parts:

The Wolf at the Door The opening and closure made this story feel too real in a way that made the nerdy fangirl part of me sparkle with delight/>The
J.E.
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm gonna be honest here, I don't have the time or energy to try to remember and rate every story in this anthology.
Lets just leave it here: I rarely read all the way through anthologies. I generally dislike them. They are a great opportunity for authors and for thrifty readers, but often I find that I rarely like more than 1 or 2 stories well enough to read them through.
In this anthology, my excitement built with each new story. I can't say how proud I am to be part of it.
Deborah Kelty
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon....
Maggie
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like with any short story collection I read, there were some stories I liked more than others. That being said, I really enjoyed this collection as a whole! Each writer had a unique take on their subject, and it was a pleasure to read all of them. I'm so glad I picked this up!
S. M. Metzler
Mar 24, 2019
Aija
Jul 06, 2019
Megan
rated it did not like it
Dec 19, 2018
Emilie S
Oct 27, 2019
Hope E
Apr 28, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Need 2 Versions of This Book to be Merged 3 227 Jan 31, 2019 09:50AM
I read books. I write books. Mostly fantasy, but with some sci-fi sprinkled in here and there (that applies to both my reading and my writing). The presence of a book on my shelves does not constitute endorsement of that book's philosophies or content. If I've sent you a friend request, you're under no obligation whatsoever to read my books. If I accept your friend request, I'm not promising to re ...more