Start by marking “Born to Draw Comics: The Story of Charles Schulz and the Creation of Peanuts” as Want to Read:
Born to Draw Comics: The Story of Charles Schulz and the Creation of Peanuts

Born to Draw Comics: The Story of Charles Schulz and the Creation of Peanuts

A mixed-panel format picture book biography of Charles "Sparky" Schulz, creator of the beloved comic strip Peanuts.

As a child, Charles split his free time between adventures outdoors with his friends and dog Spike, and daydreams and doodles inspired by the comics he loved to read. He longed to become a professional cartoonist, but saw his dreams deferred by unexpected
Published September 17th 2019 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about Born to Draw Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Born to Draw Comics

Start your review of Born to Draw Comics: The Story of Charles Schulz and the Creation of Peanuts
Jon Nakapalau
Wonderful biography of Charles Schulz - sure to inspire any young artist!
Sharon Lawler
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Perfect for the fans of the Peanuts and Snoopy , especially for those not ready for chapter books. The back matter offers additional detail.
Jessica
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Peanuts is so ubiquitous, yet I never knew much about Schulz. His story of persistence is relatable for young artists who face their own setbacks and obstacles. It was fun to see how elements of his childhood carried forward in the comic (like his troublemaking pet Spike). The beautiful illustrations pay fitting tribute with Sunday funnies colors and fun panel formatting. Great book!
Barbara
When I was growing up, the Peanuts comic strip was one of my favorite ones to read when I was perusing the Sunday funny pages and the daily newspaper. Not only was the strip humorous and relatable to me as a child, but as I grew older, it seemed that the strips became a bit more philosophical and meaningful in different ways. I loved Snoopy, Woodstock, and Charlie Brown and his obsession with baseball. This picture book tells the story of this artist through panels that resemble comic strips and ...more
Cindy Dobrez
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I've visited the Schultz Museum in Santa Rosa and read Sparky: The Life and Art of Charles Schulz written for a middle-grade audience, but this is a nice introduction to the man behind Peanuts. The illustrations have a 50s vintage feel that sometimes appears a little stiff. I love the illustrator's inclusion of his childhood drawing of Charlie Brown and Snoopy as he tried to learn the art. How fun it must have been to illustrate a mentor's biography!
Tina Hoggatt
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this exploration of Peanuts creator Charles Schultz's childhood and development as a cartoonist. The comics framing by the author/illustrator is a lovely touch. Kids who aspire to be a comics or graphic novel author and/or illustrator will love this book. Thoughtful back matter includes author note, biographical information, a compendium of the Peanuts gang, and further exploration of Charles Schultz's life and work.
Amy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book! I am a huge Peanuts fanatic, but I did not know a lot about the creator of Peanuts, as well as his back story. This book was very inspiring, and it teaches kids that you can achieve your dreams and goals with hard work and persistence. This book made me so happy and warm/fuzzy feeling, giving me another reason why I love Peanuts even more!
Sandy Brehl
A biography of Charles Schulz presented in comic/graphic format becomes accessible for many ages.
Created with the colorful appea thl and simple images of "Sunday Funnies", this will be a widely shared biography and may inspire some reluctant writers to research and present an admired subject in similar simple-line, speech bubble text, linear style.
Marti
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was a little disappointed. I expected more indepth infomation but then I am an adult who grew up in the Peanuts era. For the younger set it is a good introduction. Loved the format and the illustrations.
Rachel
Solid biography that honors Schulz, the text is rather dry however and there are some big-time leaps, would have liked more information about some aspects, but the illustrations were a lovely connection to Schulz.
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Laid out in comic panel style, this is a wonderful book of how Charles Schulz came to be the artist he was. Fantastic!
Patricia Gmitrovic
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, art
Wonderful book for parents of budding artists. The childhood story of Charles Schulz and what inspired the forever popular comic strip Peanuts.
Doris Raines
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I LOVE THESE BOOKS EVEN CHARLIE BROWN
Lisa D
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Interesting book about the legendary snoopy creator!
Robin
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Engaging, enjoyable picture book biography.
Sep 18, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, biography
Terrific biography. I learned a lot. Not sure if it wasn't allowed, but I wish they had put at least one Peanuts comic in the book to show his work.
Dec 02, 2019

• This Was Our Pact
  • Thurgood
  • The Brave Cyclist, The True Story of a Holocaust Hero
  • Small in the City
  • Between the Lines: How Ernie Barnes Went from the Football Field to the Art Gallery
  • Go for the Moon: A Rocket, a Boy, and the First Moon Landing