Start by marking “Cats Are a Liquid” as Want to Read:
Cats Are a Liquid

Cats Are a Liquid

Cats fill./ Cats spill./ Cats flow downhill.// Cats tip./ Cats drip./ Cats grip, snip, rip.// Cats are a liquid/ Except when they’re not.
Celebrate cats in all their flowing, furry glory! This charming picture book examines the unusual physical properties of felines. Inspired by an Ig Nobel Prize–winning investigation of how cats behave like liquids, it introduces some of th
Published October 8th 2019 by Henry Holt and Company

To ask other readers questions about Cats Are a Liquid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cats Are a Liquid

Start your review of Cats Are a Liquid
Abigail
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Cat Lovers
The simple text of this amusing new picture-book from author Rebecca Donnelly and illustrator Misa Saburi describes all the ways and circumstances in which our feline friends are liquids - the way they drape themselves, or laze about in relaxed puddles - while the artwork shows them cavorting in various ways. Of course, cats are a liquid, except when they aren't (such as when one is attempting to give them a bath), something also depicted in text and artwork...

Any reader who has ever seen a cat do something
Megan Sanks
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, picture-books
The cats are so cute! And I liked the inclusion of the science experiment at the end. The best part of this book was watching Miranda read it out loud to Cheese.
Tegan
This is ADORABLE. Definitely for all those cat lovers out there. The illustrations are super cute and they include ALL kinds of cats.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A charming celebration of felines and their unusual physical properties inspired by an Ig Nobel Prize–winning investigation of how cats behave like liquids.
T. Blake
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read it while browsing the bookstore and found it amusing. The majority of it is your classic picture book for a kindergarten age kid. I found also found it refreshing to see illustrations of people of different ethnic backgrounds, as well as different types of cats one might encounter. The last two or three pages are a science class explanation of what matter is and gives you instructions on making corn starch goo to help enforce that lesson.
Paul  Hankins
What can a picture book really DO in an upper elementary or secondary content area classroom. . .like science?

CATS ARE A LIQUID serves as a nice "ladder" (Teri Lesesne) to the original paper making the suggestion (a web address for that paper is found in the book).

With a rhythmic, rhyming, listing approach, the author presents the subject and its verbs that make the suggestion and lead to summary statements as the book progresses. Imagine this as a model for the process o
Barbara
While it might at first glance even to consider how cats could be both solid and liquid at various times, those of us who spend much of our time with them will relate to this picture book, filled as it is with cats who seem to literally pour from the rafters and ooze their way into the hearts of humans. Based on a science joke and investigation of felines, this picture book shows the many ways that cats really seem to be liquid. From my own experience, it's true that my cats somehow manage to sq ...more
Francis S. Poesy
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, stem
I did like this book a lot but I was expecting something more. It's not really a story per se, but an investigation/celebration of how weird, goofy, slinky, bad, and amazing cats can be. The illustrations are cute and provide more storyishness. I do like the idea that it is an introduction to STEM by taking an idea that kids would find funny and interesting and sparking questions about how the premise can be proven or refuted. Great use of back matter.
Mary
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Giggle-inducing and sure to spark interest in cats and science, Cats Are a Liquid features young researchers observing the liquid-like properties of cats in a laboratory. Including adorable illustrations, an explanation of the states of matter, and a special science experiment at the end!
Allie
Cute, fun, minimally sciency. I like the idea of pairing it with some fluid experiments like making oobleck or other non-Newtonian fluids.
Megan McCloud
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I liked the title but it wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.
Emma
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perfection.
Robin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, picture-books
Amusing celebration of feline states of matter. Fun read for cat fans that can also be stretched into some STEAM curriculum connections. Recommended for ages 4-7.
Andrea Hunter