Start by marking “When the Snow Is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall” as Want to Read:
When the Snow Is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall

When the Snow Is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall

When the Snow Is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall is a charming rhyming picture book celebrating the fun of snow and the coziness of winter.

Find a frosty window./ Watch the flakes fall./ Look! The snow is deeper than my toes are tall.

With young, rhyming verse and bright illustrations, Jean Reidy and Joey Chou captures the joy and excitement of a big snowfall. As the snow
Published November 5th 2019 by Henry Holt & Company

To ask other readers questions about When the Snow Is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Snow Is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall

Start your review of When the Snow Is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall
La Coccinelle
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a cute book about a snowy day. Our young narrator tells us, in rhyme, about how deep the snow is getting, relating its depth to parts of his body (e.g., it's up to his ankles, it's over the tops of his boots, etc.). Eventually, though, the snowy day turns uncomfortable: cold toes, wet cheeks, and a hat-stealing wind. So after a last bit of fun, the boy goes inside with his family to share the other side of a snowy day: the coziness of a fire, hot drinks, and companionship.

It's a charming
Amy Layton
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
What a sweet, adorable little book!  Celebrating both winter and spending time as a family, Reidy and Chou's book is an attestation to the joys to be found in being together.  With lyrical prose and bright, fun illustrations, this book is sure to entertain and delight, especially by the fire with some hot cocoa!  I'm just delighted at this new trend of both children's independence but also recognizing the fun that families can have when everyone is together.  Great for kids that love the ...more
Abby Johnson
Oh, this is a super cute, bouncy rhyming book about the joys of playing in the snow and seeing it pile up deeper and deeper. The rhythm of the text is a little awkward sometimes - I would practice reading it before reading to a group - but it's really so cute and includes a lot of great sound words and vocabulary that make it a great choice for storytime.
Barbara
While adults have their own challenges navigating ice and snow, this picture book makes readers consider the plight of a child as the snow continues to fall and ends up quite deep. The rhyming text through which the story is told makes it fun to share aloud. Readers in snowier climes are likely to relate to all the work that goes into just getting ready to outdoors to play in the snow and the fun of snowball fights and fashioning a snowman. Even while the child is playing with friends and joined ...more
Margie
Jan 18, 2020 added it
Two of three publications released in November 2019 remind us of all the fun-filled activities to be enjoyed outside in winter. The third book focuses on a hesitate hibernator. In an alphabetical journey with a new-found friend, he makes his way back home.

When The Snow Is Deeper Than My Boots Are Tall (Godwin Books, Henry Holt and Company, November 5, 2019) written by Jean Reidy with illustrations by Joey Chou will have eager readers ready for a romp in the out-of-doors. There is something
Lisa
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Its finally snowing! A little boy goes out to play and measure the depth by where the snow hits his boots. At first its only as deep as his ankles, but as it continues to snow, soon its as high as his shins, then his boots, then he gets a rescue from his mama and papa who are tall enough to easily walk in the deep snow.

Darling illustrations highlight this sweet story about playing in the snow. The text is poetry, and, while not always rhythmically consistent, fun for a great read aloud. I loved
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little boy goes out into the snow, builds a snowman, and comments throughout the day on how high the snow hits on his body (starting with ankles, then shins, then tops of the boots, knees, etc). Might be able to incorporate some actions in here (snowball fight, "rolling" arms to make a snowman). It waxes a bit philosophical at the end about never feeling small. A good book for cuddles if you can get the cadence of the rhythm.
Tori
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous rhyme about a fun snowy day. This one will be great for storytime. The text is so rhythmic - it will be fun to read aloud and fun for the audience as well. And many of the words lend themselves well to audience participation, onomatopoeia, and other fun add-ins. The pictures are big, bright, and colorful as well. A great book.
Anthony
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
A rolling rhyming tale of how a little boy spends a winter day outside playing in the snow as it falls and gets deeper the longer he plays in it. It finally gets deeper than his boots are tall, and he retreats inside.
Danielle Joseph
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
A perfect read for a snow day!
Alyssa Gudenburr
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
The story was hard to follow for me.
Library Lady Terri
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such fun illustrations!

Used with my toddler group and they were a little ramy. Will be a great book to use with my preschool group.
Kelly
I enjoyed the book, but I couldn't get into the cadence of the rhyming. For this reason, it felt willy-nilly in spots.
Tessa Baer
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was such a cute book, especially for storytime.
Brittany
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This book will make you wish that it was snowing outside!
Bethe
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Rhyming text could flow more smoothly in this wintery snow family adventure but the bright colors and adorable illustrations are full of fun!
Mary
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I love winter and snow so this book caught my eye right away. The illustrations are cute and the story is nice, however, I felt like I stumbled over the rhythm a few times.
Sharon Lawler
Rhyming text will be a fun romp for winter themed storytime
Miss Sarah
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
A young child documents in short burst of text and bright pictures all that happens with his family on a snow day. Preschool and up
Edward Sullivan
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Weak on story but a lively, bouncy rhyming text makes for a good read aloud.
Chelsea Kapaun
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
So cute! As a winter-lover I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Great to read aloud.
Brindi Michele
Such a cute title!
mg
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great math concepts - tall, taller... shapes fill the illustrations... AND a fun snow book!
Great Books
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 20-ages-3-5
A young boy is excited to play outside in the gathering snow, but as more falls the drifts are soon taller than his boots are tall! When he gets a bit wet and cold hes just as excited to head inside the cozy house with mom and dad to enjoy some cocoa by the fireside. The digitally painted illustrations are angular and bright with falling snowflakes in the background of each snowy scene which resemble wax resist watercolor and salt snowflake art. The minimal rhyming text cheerfully celebrates the ...more
Joey Gremillion
Heather Laird
Dec 18, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Shortest Day