Start by marking “The Liars of Mariposa Island” as Want to Read:

The Liars of Mariposa Island

From the author of Moxie comes a stunning novel told in three voices about the lies families tell to survive.

Every year, summer begins when the Callahans arrive on Mariposa Island. That’s when Elena Finney gets to escape her unstable, controlling mother by babysitting for their two children. And the summer of 1986 promises to be extra special when she meets J.C., the new
Expected publication: September 17th 2019 by Roaring Brook Press (first published September 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Liars of Mariposa Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Liars of Mariposa Island

The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiWe Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan He
YA Novels of 2019
806 books — 2,448 voters
My Brilliant Friend by Elena FerranteKindred Spirits by Rainbow RowellThe Legend of Zorro by Scott CiencinLove Finds You in Mackinac Island, Michigan by Melanie DobsonRedemption of a Fallen Woman by Joanna Fulford
"Elena"
95 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

♠️ TABI ♠️
Jul 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Mariposa Island??? idk about y'all but this title makes me want a dark retelling of the Barbie movies

description
Karen Barber
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very different book from Jennifer Mathieu, but I’m grateful to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this prior to publication.
The ARC I received has the simple title ‘The Liars’ and this definitely indicates more characters could be given this title than the family of three we predominantly focus on.
The majority of the story focuses on 17 year old Elena, and her attempts to carve a life for herself away from the controlling behaviour of her mother. Her older brother, Jouqain, is all
Kirsty
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
I enjoyed it. Weirdly similar to last book I read in places.
Lauren
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, physical-2019
4.5 stars rounded up

I'm still speechless. The secrets, the lies, the twists and turns I never saw coming, the truth... Masterful writing and brilliant story telling. Mathieu knocked this one out of the park.
Trisha
Secrets and lies. More of this. I think I'm over it.
Arlen
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Book Review
by Jennifer Mathieu
Publication Date 17 Sep 2019
Read courtesy of NetGalley.com

I have to be honest; I forgot what the title of this book was while I was reading it. Now that I see it has the word "Liars" in it, the book makes more sense. It's about liars. I like the book a 1/2 star better than I did before remembering the title.

The story is about a dysfunctional family fooling itself at every turn. Each family member lies to him/herself and, in turn, to each
Hâf
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was completely different to everything else I've read by Jennifer Mathieu, but it was brilliant! I loved this novel, it was surprisingly set a few decades ago rather than in the modern day but that only added to the intrigue and mystery of the secrets and lies.

We follow two time lines and three POVs throughout this novel, we start with Elena in 1986 who's excited for the start of the Summer holidays. Elena lives on Mariposa Island, Texas and the Summer holidays always grant her a small
Insert Name Here
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Elena and Joaquin are trapped with a controlling mother. She, herself, is trapped by the memories of her childhood in Cuba.

Jennifer Mathieu is an instabuy for me. Moxie remains one of my favourite reads ever. This book just - doesn't seem to go anywhere. Everyone lies a lot, there's a lot of fighting, but nothing ultimately changes. Maybe that's the whole point; that they're all trapped in this cycle, unable to get out of it. If so, though, it's not really obvious.

However, it's still an intrigui
Mrs. Kenyon
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Elena’s mother keeps a very tight rein on her during the school year, but when summer comes, so do the Callahans and the freedom that comes with babysitting their children. It is the summer of 1986, the summer before her junior year of high school and the summer she meets J.C. Joaquin is Elena’s brother and he has all the freedom he could want, except he wants to leave Mariposa Island. He is now a high school graduate and is thinking of going to California to find their father.

The Liars of Marip
Alison Paulette
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how I feel about this book. As always, Jennifer Mathieu's writing is elegant and engrossing, but the lack of plot kept me from giving this five stars. As other reviewers have said, the ending is very open which also bothers me a bit.

This book tells the story of Caridad and her two children Joaquin and Elena. Caridad is an alcoholic and I also believe OCD who is trapped in the past, reliving her childhood on Cuba as part of a wealthy family. Nothing in Texas is good enough for her -
Jen
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases, fiction, ya
You rarely see low-key domestic dramas in YA, so Mathieu's latest novel kind of took me by surprise. Readers expecting a twisty thriller will be disappointed: The Liars is more of a brooding character study.

It's eloquently written, with fantastically real and frustrating characters. I loved the interchange between the different family members' povs, including flashbacks to the mother's childhood in Cuba. I did feel a little let down by the lack of plot, and the final reveal never quite hits its
Dipali
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
** A copy of The Liars of Mariposa Island was provided by the publisher and Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review **

The Liars of Mariposa Island is a dark and intense look at Elena and Joaquin's lives, with flashbacks to their mother's teenage years as a Cuban refugee in the U.S. Mathieu weaves a layered and insightful look at the cost of lies, the burden of truth and the weight of family.
Brandy
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Liars is more of a character study; it is not a plot driven text. Told through the 3 perspectives, Liars looks at the lives of the family and the choices the selfish choices they make. Knowing the history of Cuba helps to understand the motivations of Carrie. I wish there was a more defined story, but it was a well written book. I felt bad for the kids. Their lives were under the total control of an alcoholic, neglectful mother.
Dawn Ferencz
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fast read and had several excellent twists, and I love Mathieu's writing style. I liked the fact that this book told the story from the point of view of the siblings as well as their mother. I had trouble watching Elena and her mother make the choices they made, although I really liked the character of Joaquin.
Kelly
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was not an easy read. By that I mean the subject matter. The writing was superb. It dealt with some quite dark and delicate subject matters with ease. It was enticing and gripping read with "real" characters whose emotions were complex but written beautifully so that you understood the gravity of their situation.. The unresolved ending also gave the novel a more realistic base.

dearlittledeer
Even though I super loved Moxie, I was a little reluctant to pick up this one...mostly because of the historical aspect. SILLY ME. This book is amazing. I knew like two pages in that it didn't matter when it was set. A powerful sad family story that's not without hope in the end.
Ashley
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, 2019own, arc
I really enjoyed The Liars of Mariposa Island. It's dark, it's twisty, it's sad as hell, by far it is Mathieu's saddest book and she has written some doozies. But it also worked it's way into my heart and I love it so.
Lexi
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not at all what i was expecting. It was heavy and emotional and i enjoyed the storytelling. I wish we would’ve got more of an ending, but i understand why it ended this way. I really liked reading about Caridads life in Cuba. It gave you a glimpse into the woman her children lived with.
Angie
Jun 30, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: dnf-2019
DNF. I’m sure it’s probably very good but the mother
literally has me shaking with rage and I don’t have time for that
Andrew
Jul 14, 2019 marked it as on-hold
on hold @ chapter eight
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
An intriguing family drama. Pair with We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.
Kristina
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Jennifer Mathieu is one of my favorite authors and I knew as soon as I heard the premise of this book I was going to read it. Told in the perspective of Elena and Joaquin, siblings both trying to deal with small town life and an unstable mother in 1986 and we also get their mother’s POV starting from 1957 in Cuba. I loved the way the author merged these stories and we really get to see why the mom is the way she was.

There were a lot of elements to the story that I was not expecting at all. It k
S
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unrealistic characters and plot, also unlikeable. Themes of abusive families and relationships. Strong language. Recommend 15+
Summer Boone
Aug 21, 2019
Carol
Jul 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
I'm a high school English teacher, writer, wife, and mom who writes books for and about young adults. My novels include MOXIE, THE TRUTH ABOUT ALICE, DEVOTED, and AFTERWARD.

My fifth novel, THE LIARS OF MARIPOSA ISLAND, will be out in September 2019.

My novel MOXIE will soon be a movie for Netflix directed by none other than Amy Poehler! It has a special Tumblr I adore that you can check out at www