Start by marking “The Liars of Mariposa Island” as Want to Read:

The Liars of Mariposa Island

From the author of Moxie comes a stunning novel told in three voices about the lies families tell to survive.

Every year, summer begins when the Callahans arrive on Mariposa Island. That’s when Elena Finney gets to escape her unstable, controlling mother by babysitting for their two children. And the summer of 1986 promises to be extra special when she meets J.C., the new
Expected publication: September 17th 2019 by Roaring Brook Press (first published September 5th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Sep 17, 2019
    Enter for a chance to win an ARC of LIARS OF MARIPOSA ISLAND!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 15 copies available, 23 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jul 19 - Jul 26, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Liars of Mariposa Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Liars of Mariposa Island

Sara (A Gingerly Review)
    Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019, physical-2019
    4.5 stars rounded up

I'm still speechless. The secrets, the lies, the twists and turns I never saw coming, the truth... Masterful writing and brilliant story telling. Mathieu knocked this one out of the park.
    Trisha
    Secrets and lies. More of this. I think I'm over it.
    Arlen
    Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Book Review
    by Jennifer Mathieu
    Publication Date 17 Sep 2019
    Read courtesy of NetGalley.com

I have to be honest; I forgot what the title of this book was while I was reading it. Now that I see it has the word "Liars" in it, the book makes more sense. It's about liars. I like the book a 1/2 star better than I did before remembering the title.

The story is about a dysfunctional family fooling itself at every turn. Each family member lies to him/herself and, in turn, to each
    Insert Name Here
    Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2019
    Elena and Joaquin are trapped with a controlling mother. She, herself, is trapped by the memories of her childhood in Cuba.

Jennifer Mathieu is an instabuy for me. Moxie remains one of my favourite reads ever. This book just - doesn't seem to go anywhere. Everyone lies a lot, there's a lot of fighting, but nothing ultimately changes. Maybe that's the whole point; that they're all trapped in this cycle, unable to get out of it. If so, though, it's not really obvious.

However, it's still an intrigui
    Alison Paulette
    May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I'm not sure how I feel about this book. As always, Jennifer Mathieu's writing is elegant and engrossing, but the lack of plot kept me from giving this five stars. As other reviewers have said, the ending is very open which also bothers me a bit.

This book tells the story of Caridad and her two children Joaquin and Elena. Caridad is an alcoholic and I also believe OCD who is trapped in the past, reliving her childhood on Cuba as part of a wealthy family. Nothing in Texas is good enough for her -
    Dipali
    Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: arcs
    ** A copy of The Liars of Mariposa Island was provided by the publisher and Edelweiss+ in exchange for an honest review **

The Liars of Mariposa Island is a dark and intense look at Elena and Joaquin's lives, with flashbacks to their mother's teenage years as a Cuban refugee in the U.S. Mathieu weaves a layered and insightful look at the cost of lies, the burden of truth and the weight of family.
    Dawn Ferencz
    Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
    This was a fast read and had several excellent twists, and I love Mathieu's writing style. I liked the fact that this book told the story from the point of view of the siblings as well as their mother. I had trouble watching Elena and her mother make the choices they made, although I really liked the character of Joaquin.
    dearlittledeer
    Even though I super loved Moxie, I was a little reluctant to pick up this one...mostly because of the historical aspect. SILLY ME. This book is amazing. I knew like two pages in that it didn't matter when it was set. A powerful sad family story that's not without hope in the end.
    Ashley
    Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2019, 2019own, arc
    I really enjoyed The Liars of Mariposa Island. It's dark, it's twisty, it's sad as hell, by far it is Mathieu's saddest book and she has written some doozies. But it also worked it's way into my heart and I love it so.
    Lexi
    Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Not at all what i was expecting. It was heavy and emotional and i enjoyed the storytelling. I wish we would’ve got more of an ending, but i understand why it ended this way. I really liked reading about Caridads life in Cuba. It gave you a glimpse into the woman her children lived with.
    Angie
    Jun 30, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
    Shelves: dnf-2019
    DNF. I’m sure it’s probably very good but the mother
    literally has me shaking with rage and I don’t have time for that
    Andrew
    Jul 14, 2019 marked it as on-hold
    on hold @ chapter eight
    May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
    An intriguing family drama. Pair with We Were Liars by E. Lockhart.
    Kristina
    Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
    Jennifer Mathieu is one of my favorite authors and I knew as soon as I heard the premise of this book I was going to read it. Told in the perspective of Elena and Joaquin, siblings both trying to deal with small town life and an unstable mother in 1986 and we also get their mother’s POV starting from 1957 in Cuba. I loved the way the author merged these stories and we really get to see why the mom is the way she was.

There were a lot of elements to the story that I was not expecting at all. It k
    Rachel Strolle
    Susie Davis
    Jun 05, 2019
    jazzylnn
    Jul 17, 2019
    I'm a high school English teacher, writer, wife, and mom who writes books for and about young adults. My novels include MOXIE, THE TRUTH ABOUT ALICE, DEVOTED, and AFTERWARD.

My fifth novel, THE LIARS OF MARIPOSA ISLAND, will be out in September 2019.

My novel MOXIE will soon be a movie for Netflix directed by none other than Amy Poehler! It has a special Tumblr I adore that you can check out at www