Start by marking “Oasis: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Oasis: A Novel

Oasis: A Novel

In this young adult thriller for fans of Lost and The Twilight Zone, a group of teens are saved when they come across a mysterious oasis. But who will save them from the oasis?

Alif had exciting summer plans: working on her father’s archeological dig site in the desert with four close friends ... and a very cute research assistant. Then the sandstorm hit.

Their camp wiped
Published January 7th 2020 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about Oasis, please sign up.
Katya de Becerra I'm about to embark on revisions! Oasis is tentatively scheduled for Fall 2019 for publication. I'd imagine, the proper description should be…moreI'm about to embark on revisions! Oasis is tentatively scheduled for Fall 2019 for publication. I'd imagine, the proper description should be available alongside the cover reveal later this year (I've seen the cover already - and it's STUNNING....!) Keep an eye on my social media for details:) (less)

Start your review of Oasis: A Novel
Toni
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an exciting thriller this book proved to be!

Alif Scholl's parents are archeologists, so she has grown up around various digs and actually enjoys the task of washing and labelling archeological finds. She is thrilled to spend her summer at her father's current dig near Dubai. Alif's friends- Minh, Lori, Rowen and Luke- are joining her. There's also Tommy Ortiz, Alif's father's student and assistant. On their way to the site Alif reads a blog post about the site which claims that there is a
Candace Robinson
After reading What the Woods Keep by the author, I knew I had to get my hands on Oasis. The summary along with the cover had me absolutely intrigued. And did somebody say desert? My, my, yes they did!

Alif was the perfect protagonist because she was imperfect and you loved her, and you wanted to ask her what she was doing at times, and you were right there along with her wanting to know what was going on in this desert! And Tommy! Swoon! I loved him! Inside the oasis, Alif and her five friends
Katya de Becerra
Nov 15, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Welcome to the oasis, where sand is life and nothing is as it seems.

(CWs are listed in the end of this post and some are marked as spoilers. Please let me know in comments if I missed something)

Oasis is my second novel. (If you haven't read my debut, What the Woods Keep, yet, check it out, if you wish!)

I wrote Oasis exclusively on the days of heavy rain in my hometown of Melbourne, while alternating between listening to Ladytron's MIRAGE and London Grammar's NIGHTCALL on repeat.

Oasis is my
Rachael
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the tradition of The Twilight Zone or Tales Of the Unexpected, De Becerra skillfully presents the reader with the known world with its laws of nature, time and space then carefully bends reality, drawing you inexorably deeper into a narrative both terrifying and irresistible. Tense, electric storytelling that makes you wonder what you would be willing to sacrifice to have your deepest longings fulfilled.

Alif and her friends join an archeological dig in the desert outside Dubai. Rumors are
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
Archaeology and Hallucinations in an Egyptian Oasis
My mom loves everything to do with archaeology and so I’ve always had a soft spot for stories about archaeologists. Oasis sounds like a fun, supernatural romp for sand diggers and occult fans. Plus we get to travel from Australia to Egypt!

Did Oasis haunt this Fangirl with its horrific dilemma?
I had high hopes for Oasis. First, I assumed it would be a thriller type of the supernatural variety. This was a poor assumption. Then, I assumed there
The Nerd Daily
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Annie McCann

The oasis saved them. But who will save them from the oasis?

Alif had exciting summer plans: working on her father’s archaeological dig site in the desert with four close friends . . . and a very cute research assistant. Then the sandstorm hit.

With their camp wiped away, Alif and the others find themselves lost on the sands, seemingly doomed . . . until they find the oasis. It has everything they need: food, water, shade—and
Kate (beautifulbookland)
After reading and loving What the Woods Keep by Katya last year, I had high expectations going into Oasis. It’s always nerve-wracking going into an author’s second book after loving their debut so much, but I had no need to worry in this case – Katya totally nailed it, and exceeded all of my expectations.

Oasis follows Alif, who along with some close friends (and a very cute research assistant) are working on her father’s archaeological dig over their summer break. When a sand storm wreaks havoc
Cathy
Let me tell you about OASIS...

It's a strange book - and I say this in the best possible way! It's a tense survival story but also a kind of science fiction novel that really makes you ponder on the questions of humanity, identity, sentience, language and communication. Overall though, again it's a super strange, haunting, dark tale. I know it'll stay with me.

My initial thoughts upon hearing of this book: A book that's inspired by archaeology and the music of London Grammar?!!

Give. It. To. Me.
Adriann Fincher
After reading WHAT THE WOODS KEEP, I'll read anything by de Becerra.
I know OASIS is going to be spectacular. Prepare yourselves.
megs_bookrack
Hey!!!
Guess what???

BOTM selections are up for January!

This is one of the YA selections, it sounds fabulous, so I chose it as an add-on.

Go choose your books now!!!
Jackie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019-reads, arcs
I wanted to read a few chapters right before bed and next thing I knew I was at the acknowledgements section and my head was spinning.

“Oasis” finds a group of friends on an archeological dig in Dubai when a sandstorm rips them from camp and their walk through the desert leads them to an oasis filled with a variety of things that should not exist but then again a group hallucination doesn’t exist either, or does it?

The best way I can describe this plot is it has a lot of elements from The
Cassie Hess
Initial thoughts: I've read de Becerra's debut (What The Woods Keep) and just can't express enough how excited I am about her sophomore book! Why is Winter 2020 so far away???

My spoiler-free review!!!!

After reading and being very impressed with de Becerra's debut What The Woods Keep last year, I knew this author had something unique to offer. There's this totally awesome thing she's got going in her writing that messes with your mind in the best possible way, if that makes sense :) So already
Vicky Who Reads
i'm excited to start!!! just gonna leave these here (courtesy of Katya) because some of them are spoilers.

Content Warnings: (view spoiler)
Amber (The Book Bratz)
NEED

Post reading thoughts:

I need this book to become a movie ASAP
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5/5 stars

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

When Alif's plans of spending the summer working on her father's archaeological dig site with four of her close friends (and her father's very cute research assistant) are derailed by a sandstorm they find themselves lost in the desert... That is- until they find the oasis, and while the oasis seems to have everything they need- reality begins to shift and soon they can no longer tell what's real and what is a mirage.

trufflebooks
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, favourites
I...need more answers. That was amazing. Full Review HERE.
Annie
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am very pleased to be one of the very first readers of this book. Whilst the book is an ARC and still subject to edits, I can safely say that I thoroughly enjoyed the story. It was very easy to read and fall into the book. I enjoyed how the story set a firm foundation of the protagonist Alif, her friends and her life and how she embarks on an adventure with her friends to pursue her love of geology and site digs only to find they got more than they bargained for upon arrival.. Whilst the story ...more
Elissa Elizaro
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm obsessed with this book and gonna hype it extra hard to everyone - because everyone needs to pick up a copy and read it!
Sophiesticated ✨
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars*
Donna
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Whoa! This was awesome! Even if i felt like i had sand in every nook and cranny when i finished. Lol!

Tommy, Alif and her 5 friends are all swept away in a sandstorm, and they end up out in the middle of the desert. They walk and walk, afraid they’re going to die of thirst, when they come upon the Oasis. But after enjoying the fresh water and fruit, things begin to happen, friends turn on friends, and they begin to split apart. Nobody comes to look for them and they start to wonder how they will
Austine (NovelKnight)
Check out the original review and more on NovelKnight!

This book was provided by the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I... think I just wasn't the right reader forOasis. Reading it was definitely a case of "it's not you, it's me," which is a bummer because I loved the author's debut What the Woods Keep .

I never connected withOasis or its characters. The story itself was okay and felt like it was reliant on the Twilight Zone-esque world that
Brooklyn Tayla
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, 2019-reads
This was quite the remarkable feat! Just when I thought I knew what was happening, something else would come along and knock it out of the park! Katya De Becerra is well and truly a brilliant storyteller, you never know what's going to come along next and I was truly wondering what was real and what wasn't throughout!
Sheila Goicea
I'm so excited to be a part of the Fantastic Flying Book Club blog tour for Oasis!

I received a copy of this book from Macmillan via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! In no way does this affect my rating or review.

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.

Content Warning: On page death, Delusions, Attempted poisoning, Drunkenness
The desert, it’ll treat you like an equal if you are prepared, if you are strong enough, but it’ll
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult / Thrillers / Suspense
*Rating* 3.0

*Thoughts*

Oasis, by author Katya de Becerra, is the authors follow up to her debut novel What the Woods Keeps. Alif Scholl and four of her friends (Lori Bradford, Minh Quoc, Luke Stokowski, and Rowen Syme Jr) choose to spend a summer with her archaeologist father Andreas Scholl in the Dubai desert. There she is hopeful of meeting her crush Tommy Ortiz who is her father's research assistant. Unforeseen circumstances, as well
Heather (The Sassy Book Geek)
I......am not quite sure what I just read. I liked it but also I'm confused. Definitely going to need this rating to sit for a bit.

Review To Come
Nathan Kirk
This was. Freaking. Awesome!

No spoilers below, just my reactions of this supercool book!

First, we've got Alif Scholl, with two ambitious archaeologists for parents. Alif is up for adventure and lives and breathes archaeology.

description

Alif and her friends are off to have the summer of their lives in Dubai, where Alif's dad is managing an excavation gig. Everyone is EXCITED.

description

Alif is diving headfirst into the daily life at the dig site while her friends are finding it all a bit much. It's not what they
Kacey
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. My reviews are honest and unaffected by the free copy.

This is definitely a niche kind of book. It won't appeal to everyone, and there's a lot going on that might confuse some readers. There are no clear answers in this book. So much about what happens is left open for interpretation. I personally like that but some people might not. But if you go into this book expecting something that
mattie
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New favorite author?? Um YES! Can’t wait for Oasis! Loved What The Woods Keep so of course I’m going to keep my eye out for this book ...more
USOM
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
From the beginning I loved Alif, passionate about archaeology, but also torn between her passion for creative writing. Oasis transports us to a world of sand and danger. Immediately things begin to go awry, whether it be an article that hints at a mysterious danger, injuries, or stranded strangers. Dangerous omens whirl around a sea of sand from the beginning. Throughout Oasis we are asked about reality - what is merely a mirage? Oasis is a book about illusions and images we can't trust.

There
Gerardo Delgadillo
OASIS features people lost in the desert, in an immensity of sand that never ends. That is, until they find a luscious oasis, thus the title. But is it real or not? This mind-bending novel will keep you guessing, double guessing, and triple guessing. The book will also make you think hard and surprise you with a lot of crazy twists.

Overall, an engaging novel that kept my interest from the very interesting introduction to the craziness of the oasis.

More on my blog:
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Eight Will Fall
  • Jane Anonymous
  • Nameless Queen
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Weight of a Soul
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Reverie
  • Rogue Princess
  • Chosen (Slayer, #2)
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Good Girls Lie
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Refraction
  • The Memory Thief
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
Katya de Becerra was born in Russia, studied in California, lived in Peru, and then stayed in Australia long enough to become a local. She was going to be an Egyptologist when she grew up, but instead she earned a PhD in Anthropology and now works as a university lecturer and a researcher. Katya is a short version of her real name, which is very long and gets mispronounced a lot. What The Woods ...more