Start by marking “Anna & Samia: The True Story of Saving a Black Rhino” as Want to Read:
Anna & Samia: The True Story of Saving a Black Rhino

Anna & Samia: The True Story of Saving a Black Rhino

From Geisel Honor–winning author/illustrator Paul Meisel comes Anna & Samia, the true story of a wildlife conservationist and the baby rhinoceros she adopts.

When infant rhino Samia finds herself all alone in the vast Kenyan rhino sanctuary, conservationist Anna Merz knows just what to do. Little by little, she helps Samia feel warm and at home, snuggling with the black rhi
Published October 15th 2019 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Byr)

To ask other readers questions about Anna & Samia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna & Samia

Start your review of Anna & Samia: The True Story of Saving a Black Rhino
N
Beautiful book and beautiful story.
Edward Sullivan
The endearing true story of a wildlife conservationist Anna Merz and the infant rhinoceros she finds alone in a vast Kenyan rhino santuary. Merz names the baby rhino Samia and adopts and cares for her until she can survive on her own.

Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Anna and Samia: The True Story of Saving a Black Rhino by Paul Meisel. NON-FICTION/PICTURE BOOK Farrar Straus Giroux (Macmillan), 2019. $18. 9780374305772

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Anna sees a baby rhino born and then abandoned by it’s mother, so Anna takes the baby rhino and nurses it. She names the baby Samia and together Anna and Samia form a forever friendship. When Samia grows up, Anna helps her to rely on herself instead of the humans and Samia becomes
Barbara
I'd never heard of naturalist and rhino lover Anna Merz before reading this book, and now I want to learn more about her. Using simple, accessible language and charming illustrations, the author tells the story of how Anna saved the life of Samia, a baby black rhino abandoned by her mother in a Kenyan wildlife sanctuary. When the mother failed to return, Anna took the baby in, kept her warm and fed her. Young readers will be amused by how large that baby grew and how she seemed to regard Anna as ...more
Sandra Winans
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a touching story of a human named Anna and a rhinoceros named Samia. Samia’s mother abandoned her. Anna worked at the wildlife sanctuary and raised Samia by bottle feeding and tender care. The story shares how they communicated and how eventually Anna had to release Samia back in the wildlife sanctuary. The illustrations speak louder than the facts told in the story.
Mar 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
This biography explores Anna Merz's work adopting, caring for, and raising black rhino Samia. I can see it being inspirational to young kids who want to work with animals. The work sounds fun and Samia gets into some funny situations. In the end, it is bittersweet when Anna returns Samia to the wild but still occasionally gets a visit. ...more
Becky B
A picture book biography of Anna Merz and a baby rhino she saved and raised to be returned to the wildlife refuge.

A true and heartwarming wildlife rescue story told in very simple English so that it is approachable for even young readers. The illustrations are fantastic, and there's more info in the back of the book for those curious for more. Highly recommended.
Lynn
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sweet story of an orphaned baby rhino that naturalist Anna Merz raises and returns to the wild. The baby rhino wants to be with Anna and the illustrations of this giant baby visiting Anna in her bath, trying to climb a tree and hiding behind Anna when feeling threatened are a treat. Back matter provides additional information about Anna, Samia and rhinos.
Kylie Mogan
Apr 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-307
True stories like these ones truly amaze me. I wish we would hear more about the unique friendships that can develop between humans and animals, especially those that are going extinct. This is definitely a read that I would love to share with others, but fair warning you may get a little chocked up when you reach the end.
Diane
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Now the baby rhino was all alone in the vast Kenyan rhino sanctuary.”

The story of Anna Merz, who ran a rhino sanctuary, and the relationship with a baby rhino who was abandoned by its mother. Anna and Samia learned to communicate with one another as Anna raised the baby with the sole purpose of reintroducing Samia into the sanctuary when she was ready.

Sweet narrative.
Bethe
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bookaday #22. Interesting story about a rhino conservationist and one of her charges. Very child friendly text and illustrations. Love the photo off Anna & Samia on the back cover. And of course, if the book has a border collie, I’ll read it!
Kathleen Dixon
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
This is a beautifully told non-fiction story from one small part of Anna Merz's life - a lovely tale about saving a baby rhino. ...more
Robin
Mar 12, 2020 rated it liked it
True story of a special friendship between a rhino and a rescuer.
Jessica
Jun 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely true story - perhaps a “slice of life” biography?
Kelly
I'm not entirely impressed with the illustrations, but the story and content were interesting. ...more
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
story of woman keeping a black rhino in a sanctuary preparing for release to the wild
Kristen Thorp
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
327/365
Linda
Mar 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
Tender story of a rhino rescued by a gamekeeper. Great read aloud to K-2.
Abbey Link
Apr 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A good look into wildlife and a conservationist. I feel like this book would inspire young kids on different jobs they can do when they are grown up
Elizabeth Esparza
Apr 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-307
I really enjoyed this book because it was a story about animals interacting with humans and how they build their relationship to become better friends.
Jaime
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this sweet story of a woman saving a baby black rhino.
talia
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heartwarming story of interspecies friendship that drives home the importance of conserving our wild spaces and non-human neighbors.
Loni
Erin Decker
Sep 01, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • All the Way to the Top: How One Girl's Fight for Americans with Disabilities Changed Everything
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • When Cesar Chavez Climbed the Umbrella Tree
  • Sleepy Bear's Christmas
  • Cranberry Thanksgiving
  • Sock Story
  • The Boy Who Invented the Popsicle: The Cool Science Behind Frank Epperson's Famous Frozen Treat
  • The Magic Rabbit
  • Secret Pizza Party
  • Arthur's Thanksgiving
  • Funny Faces Santa Claus
See top shelves…
I See A Cat and See Me Run, two books written and illustrated by Paul Meisel, received the Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Award from the Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association.
Potty training can be a challenge. YOU POOP HERE by Paul Meisel can help lessen a child's fear of using a potty: Elephants poop in the grass. Fish and alligator poop i

News & Interviews