Start by marking “Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story” as Want to Read:
Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story

Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story

Told in lively and powerful verse by debut author Kevin Noble Maillard, Fry Bread is an evocative depiction of a modern Native American family, vibrantly illustrated by Pura Belpre Award winner Juana Martinez-Neal.

Fry bread is food.
It is warm and delicious, piled high on a plate.

Fry bread is time.
It brings families together for meals and new memories.

Fry bread is nation.
It
Published October 22nd 2019 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Fry Bread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fry Bread

Start your review of Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
Donalyn
Beautiful book. Don't miss the back matter with additional information from the author about Native American culture, his family, and the historical context for many of the images in the book.
Paul  Hankins
"Five Stars for Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story"

From the start, I want to tell you that I could get this review completely wrong. But, I note that a number of friends are giving the book five stars and moving on. Their endorsement with the full five stars says that they loved the book. Found it to be amazing. . . I would love to know the what and the why of those five-star ratings. Let me try to share my what and my why of five stars for Fry Bread.

The reason I could get this wrong is
Abigail
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books About Food, Family and/or Native American Cultures
Native American journalist Kevin Noble Maillard, a member of the Seminole Nation of Oklahoma, makes his children's book debut in this lovely picture-book tribute to fry bread, a staple of many native peoples' diet. Using simple but poetic text, he explores the shapes, colors, sounds and flavors of fry bread. More importantly, he explores its role in the Native American family, and its importance as a symbol of Native American resilience. His text is paired with charming artwork from Caldecott ...more
Rod Brown
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the Best Picture Book nominees as possible. 2 to go!

Nice art, but the story section didn't really do anything for me. The eight-page Author's Note at the end though was very fascinating, especially the negative feelings some indigenous people have against fry bread. Bonus star for that.
KC
The story of fry bread, its multiple meanings, and what it means to the Native American and indigenous people.
Jillian Heise
I am utterly enamored with this upcoming picture book from debut author Kevin Noble Maillard (Enrolled Seminole Nation Okla.) & a favorite illustrator, Juana Martinez Neal!! Beautifully written & lovingly told in both words and illustrations. Plus SO MUCH back matter to dive into that will provide perspective and historical context that is valuable for every classroom and library. A must-read, must-share. ...more
Abby Johnson
YES YES YES. Do not miss this wonderful book which celebrates fry bread and Native American life in all its diverse glory. The text of the story takes you through a family enjoying fry bread, "Fry bread is color... fry bread is flavor..." and the gorgeous illustrations depict a diverse-looking group of Native American family members and friends sharing a meal together.

The excellent, extensive back matter includes a lot more information about each section of the book, pointing out notable
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
I've read this book to my own children, to my storytimes, and I'm giving this book to as many people as I can get to stand still to listen to me talk about it. It's beautifully done illustrations (and I've NEVER seen multiracial Native people depicted before which is something my biracial Native children need). The text is simple but so powerful. (The long walk, the stolen land... yes that is in a picture book and it isn't too heavy, it isn't too much, it is history, it is culture, it is ...more
Laura Harrison
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: omg-cant-wait, 2019
Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story by Kevin Noble Maillard and illustrated by Juana Martinez-Neal is one of my favorite books of 2019. It should be getting more attention. The book is about a modern Native American family. This is the author's first picture book. He is an enrolled citizen of the Seminole Nation. The illustrations are the best that Juana Martinez-Neal has ever created. It is a stunning picture book and a true Caldecott 2020 contender.
Becky
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful book! The celebration of fry bread as food, as history, as community and as tradition in the story of American Indians is embedded and extolled throughout this special book. I especially love the recipe and the back matter author, Kevin Maillard shares as it connect his writing and explains the deeper meaning and connection to Native people.

Juana Martinez-Neal does an exquisite job of illustrating this book. Her thoughtful attention to detail bridges customs from past to present in a
Julie Esanu
This is the book that should be in every library and classroom. A beautiful ode to fry bread, which had an inauspicious origin, that affirms identity, culture, and heritage. The detailed and descriptive back matter should be mandatory reading for anyone thinking about history and historical perspectives.
Gina
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This takes fry bread as a commonality with all its variations and takes that as a launching point for exploring families and customs and what the fry bread means and how the fry bread changes. You get the emotional meaning of fry bread even if you can't get a strict definition of it, because there are so many recipes. (A recipe is included, but it is certainly not the only option.)

Warm and enticing illustrations with great diversity.
Inge
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Joyous.
C.E. G
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a lot of detail in the art and telling and design of this book that was just so smart! I loved:

*The end pages of the book are decorated with a list of both recognized and unrecognized tribes.
*Instead of acknowledgments/thanks at the end of the book, the names of the people he's thanking are tucked into the art within the story.
*Racially diverse indigenous family, showing a range of hair textures and skin colors.
*The final pages were really thoughtful and informative.

A standout picture
DaNae
A celebration of culture.
Wendy Gardiner
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
Don't miss the outstanding backmatter
Ami Pendley
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Debbie Reese called this book exquisite and that’s exactly the right word. Everything is perfect: the endpapers with the names of tribes and nations including those who have been denied federal recognition, the gorgeous case cover, the back matter, the beautiful illustrations, and the story. Absolutely exquisite.
Dylan Teut
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If I was asked what I loved the most about FRY BREAD, would it be @noblemaillard's crafty language? Would it be @juanamartinez's best illustrations yet? Would it be the fascinating back matter? Would it be the power of all of the above? Yes. Absolutely incredible. A treasure. (And I want to go make some fry bread, now.....)
Alyssa DeFini
Shelves: multicultural
This text tells the story of modern day Native Americans. The bread is described on each page using images and headings. The headings allow the reader to understand the bread and in the specific category. For example, the bread is A PLACE, IS COLOR, IS FLAVOR, IS NATION. The reader will be able to see how Native Americans live all over, look different, come from different tribes, and are both young and old.

This text is perfect to use with students when learning about the Native American
Ellon
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because it was nominated for the Goodreads choice award for best picture book.

I feel bad not giving this 5 stars as it seems everyone else who has read this book has done.

I love that the book is showing a culture that many might not know about. I love it for the "diverse" aspect of it. But the actual book was hard for me to connect to. I know people are praising the illustrations but I did not like them very much. I think that the people looked like caricatures of
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful glimpse into a bit of Native American culture. This #ownvoices story educates and celebrates while making your mouth-water. Be ready … you’ll want to make some of your own fry bread. Luckily, the author provides a recipe as well as an extensive author’s note speaking to the culture and people.

And, I am once again awed by the art of Juana Martinez-Neal. I adored her work in Alma and How She Got Her Name. Here in Fry Bread: a Native American Family Story readers once again to
Kristin
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Author Kevin Noble Maillard approaches this celebration of FRY BREAD with a focus on the senses and the history behind the favorite staple. Born of necessity when native tribes were forcibly moved, able to take little with them, fry bread was created with the items given by the U.S. government: flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and sometimes cornmeal. This picture book, however, celebrates the process and family-tradition of making and eating fry bread. The joyful and stunningly detailed illustrations ...more
Margie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holding Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story (Roaring Brook Press, October 22, 2019) written by Kevin Noble Maillard with illustrations by Juana Martinez-Neal for the first time was believing I was about to step into a tale of tradition based on family and food. I knew it would be an emotional experience and it was. It was poignant for two reasons. It stirred up wonderful memories of my own, of specific recipes and family gatherings. I know, too, there will be numerous others who will see ...more
Rebecca Caufman
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Descriptive writing about how families gather around a special food and its meaning to them.
Christine
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite literally a perfect book!
Gabrielle Stoller
From the illustrator of 'Alma and How She Got Her Name" comes another must own for me. It honors native Americans and other cultures through a food that is meaningful to them--a food that encapsulates multiple emotions.

I love it
Leo
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adore this picture book! <3 The love of fry bread is like guilty pleasures but it brings the family core together and solidifies a bond amongst nations that enjoy this incredibly yummy treat. Various ingredients and recipes bring forth and share ideas and memories with generations that experience their own ways of making this beloved bread. Highly recommend!
Lauren Kell
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely beautiful book about family and community that focuses around fry bread, a Native American food with origins in colonial-induced deprivations in the last 150 years. This book was so warm and cozy and inviting. Maillard presented fry bread as something that is both common across tribes as well as unique to each tribe. The inclusion of every federally and state-recognized tribe in the US, as well as some groups that haven't managed to be officially recognized, in the end ...more
Beth Pronger
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love, Love, Love this book! Beautiful illustrations and message.
Bethany
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully done! The art is just beautiful. My favorite part was the end where the author explained each part. I learned a little bit more about the Native Americans and their history.
« previous 1 3 4 next »