Start by marking “Chicken Break!: A Counting Book” as Want to Read:
Chicken Break!: A Counting Book

Chicken Break!: A Counting Book

Chicken Break, a children's picture book from writer Cate Berry and illustrator Charlotte Alder, is simple fun with some wild and crazy chickens...

These chickens (ten to be exact) have one mission: to escape the coop and have some wild fun. One by one, the chickens break out. When all ten are out, they let loose! But chickens get tired, and after their wild day, one by
Published October 29th 2019 by Feiwel Friends

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Break!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Break!

Start your review of Chicken Break!: A Counting Book
Barbara
Although chickens might make a break for the great outdoors if the door to their coop were left open, in this picture book, they actually plot a great escape in order to enjoy a night on the town. Readers will enjoy counting the birds on each page as they launch themselves to freedom, hail a cab and then scurry through the city, even attending a performance of "Bantam of the Opera," (Tee-Hee!)Starting the story with the idea of a "chicken break" and then ending with that same phrase is clever ...more
Kendra
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Watch these 10 chickens fly the coop -- then break back in again -- in this wonderfully funny, Chicken-Run-Meets-Ocean's-11 chicken espionage counting book.

A wonderfully funny and imaginative counting book from ATX kidlit author Cate Berry, brought vividly to life by illustrator by Charlotte Alder. I got a copy for a 2-year-old friend, and he absolutely loves it -- according to his mom, he's been waking her up early to read it! I can't wait for more from this wonderfully warm and hilarious
Alicia Evans
10 chickens work to break out of their enclosure and we are thus gifted with a delightful counting book with lots of wordplay and puns. I found the second half to be a little odd since they were heading back to their enclosure and it felt like we were leaving chickens behind. I'm not sure that this would bother young readers who will be more captivated by the counting, but it didn't make a lot of sense.

For: chicken or spy fans; readers wanting a quirky counting book.

Possible red flags: escape
Andrea Andreassen
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfectly delightful counting book for readers young and old! As a former educator, I like to keep an eye out for great books to recommend to my teaching colleagues still in the trenches. This book is a sure-fire pick! Sure to be a storytime favorite, get ready for it to be read, worn to pieces and "loved away" by all the 3-7 years olds you know. Maybe best to invest in a backup copy :)
Lisa Doggett
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Creative, clever, SO fun! This is a wonderful new counting book for young kids by Austin author, Cate Berry. It is entertaining for adults as well as young kids. Amazing illustrations and hilarious prose. Sure to be a new favorite for both kids and parents (who won't mind reading it multiple times).
Sheri
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a counting with the chickens who break out for some fun. Good resource for counting and the expressions and costumes the chickens have as they enjoy some freedom. The author used some funny activities for the chickens to do when away from the coop. Reminds me of the movie Chicken Run.
Andrea
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
The illustrations help move the story along in this fun counting book. The chickens engage in all kinds of fun adventures. Great book for grown-ups to share with their 4-6 year olds. As a bonus, it may make the grown up laugh, too.
Susan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With its clever rhymes and mischievous chickens, Chicken Break will appeal to kids and adults. Although it's a counting book, kids who already know how to count will likely laugh out loud at the chickens' outrageous antics.
Erin
I struggled with the fact that this wasn't just ten chickens. Nor was it a completely new set of chickens on each page. Basically, I couldn't figure out how many chickens there were: more than ten, but less than 55? Perhaps I should have let it go and just had fun with the story.
Lindsay Leslie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Make a break for the bookstore and snag this book! What's not to like? Counting, check. Chickens, check. Chickens on the lamb (literally), check! Such great wordplay! The author and illustrator are perfectly matched in this barnyard romp.
Lisa D
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! What a terrific story time book that teaches kids how to count in a fun way !
Kristina Jean Lareau
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook

This would make for a fun storytime read, especially paired with Chicken Storytime or Click, Clack, Moo.
Edward Sullivan
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: counting-books
Counting with crazy, wild chickens.
Kelly
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun!
Stefanie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the counting down of chickens back to the coop confusing. Where did the chickens go? I'm 31 years old.
Michele Knott
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love when concept books include a fun story! This counting and break-from-the-coop story will keep you laughing while counting.
Alyssa Gudenburr
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A PERFECT book for storytime! Counts up to 10 and back down.
Lisa Boyd
Dec 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-challenge
I liked the story and the premise, but the artwork is not my favorite. Too busy for what I had hoped to use it for.
Juliana Lee
Count chickens from one to ten as chicken plan a break/escape. After a day of fun, count chicken backwards from ten to one as chickens return home to their coop and take a break.
SilverReader
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not your average counting book. The illustrations are great and it is a rocking rhyming tale. Loved this book.
wildct2003
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute story
Lauren Kerstein
Fun, entertaining, and educational.
Oskar Andreassen
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's hysterical! Through double meanings, laugh-out-loud rhymes, and lots of smirk-faced chickens, you won't forget this book anytime soon!
Kris Kuykendall
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bawk! Watch out. The chickens have escaped! This hilarious new counting book will delight young children. Clever, funny, and just a lot of fun. A winner-winner-chicken-dinner read aloud romp!
J. Mann
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ADORBS! There seriously aren't enough chickens in the world. Thanks to Cate Berry and Charlotte Alder for bringing me a bunch more. I love these cheeky little chickens!
Kari
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect read-aloud with its hilarious text and hysterically funny illustrations!
Meg
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The best kind of counting book is one with chickens! Cate Berry delivers in this hilarious chicken adventure. Kids will love the clever rhyming and the hilarious clucking antics.
Amy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed in School Library Journal Oct. 2018. Full review found there.

"Full of wordplay and an extra dose of cuteness, this is a definite first purchase for all children's collections."
Amy
Jan 14, 2020
Crystal
Dec 19, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sofia Valdez, Future Prez (Questioneers Picture Book, #4)
  • Saturday
  • Please Don't Eat Me
  • It Began with a Page: How Gyo Fujikawa Drew the Way
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • Finding Kindness
Cate Berry holds an MFA in Writing from Vermont College of Fine Arts with a Picture Book Intensive Certificate. Cate is an active member of SCBWI, The Writer’s League of Texas and a frequent picture book faculty member at the Writing Barn (Austin, TX). Ms. Berry will present as a panelist for the Association of Writer’s and Writer’s Programs (AWWP) National Conference discussing Gender ...more