Start by marking “Beyond the Black Door” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Black Door

Beyond the Black Door

Kamai was warned never to open the black door, but she didn't listen ...

Everyone has a soul. Some are beautiful gardens, others are frightening dungeons. Soulwalkers―like Kamai and her mother―can journey into other people's souls while they sleep.

But no matter where Kamai visits, she sees the black door. It follows her into every soul, and her mother has told her to never,
Published October 29th 2019 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Black Door, please sign up.
AdriAnne Yep, there is! The book has ace (asexual) romance. The heroine is not aromantic (well, she's demi-biromantic). In case there is confusion, romantic…moreYep, there is! The book has ace (asexual) romance. The heroine is not aromantic (well, she's demi-biromantic). In case there is confusion, romantic attraction and sexual attraction are different things, and someone can be romantically inclined while being asexual--or sexually inclined without being romantic, or any combination thereof. Asexual =/= aromantic. :)(less)
Heather-Lin So far, yes. Standalone. But I feel there's enough room to make a decent sequel if the author chooses.…moreSo far, yes. Standalone. But I feel there's enough room to make a decent sequel if the author chooses. (less)

Start your review of Beyond the Black Door
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 14, 2019 rated it liked it
As soon as I read the blurb and saw the amazing cover, I clicked to request and when I saw it on my dashboard, I thanked my lucky stars and wore my dancing shoes to perform a scene from singing in the rain but I forgot I was living in LA and it rarely rains here but I kept on dancing!

I think I created to shine the dark objects and show its beauty by sharing my long and appreciative sentences. When it comes something dark, twisty, edgy, my ascendant sign Scorpio takes the front seat to drive me
Chelsea Humphrey
Please do not let my 3 star rating dissuade you from picking up this book, because Beyond the Black Door has a multitude of remarkable aspects going for it. The atmosphere is dreamy and lush, and honestly Strickland is a knockout at creating a setting that comes to life. Could get lost in her dreamy world 10/10 times. My issues were personal, not objective, and lie within the author's choice to do more "telling than showing" when it comes to the world-building and initial story setup. The plot ...more
AdriAnne
Feb 27, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey all! Now that the cover is out in the wild, I figured I’d share a bit more insider-info about BEYOND THE BLACK DOOR. This is a YA dark fantasy with court intrigue, assassinations, fancy dresses, twisty romance, evil love interests, a fair bit of blood, and cool stuff like bottomless staircases in endless dark castles. It should appeal to fans of Beauty and the Beast retellings (though it’s not a retelling, itself), Phantom of the Opera, and Labyrinth. Also, there are lots of queer ...more
Cassie
May 04, 2019 marked it as most-anticipated
Netgalley just came through with approving me for an ARC of this, idk what kind of book gods are looking upon me but regardless, thank you book gods!!!

----------------------------------

A main character who is asexual? Set in a fantasy world?? With a stunning cover like THAT????

*breaks down door*
Who do I have to bribe to get my hands on a copy of this?
Tucker

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)
Beyond the Black Door follows Kamai, a Soulwalker that can enter people's souls or Nehyn, a representation of one's soul.
Every time Kamai visits someone's Nehyn there's a Black Door that follows her. Kamai's mother is hiding secrets and tells her never, never to open that door. However, like a good old fairytale, circumstances lead the heroine to open it.
What's beyond the Black Door? Kamai will find out.
I
Candace Robinson
I loved the dark and twisty elements but I just couldn’t connect to the story or the characters. It had diversity and interesting things but I just wanted something more from the characters I guess. But if you’re looking for unique concepts then you might want to check this one out!
rachel ☾
Dark fantasy. Morally grey, Slytherin characters. Court intrigue. #Ownvoices ace rep. Soulwalking. Phantom of the Opera atmosphere. Fancy dresses. Endless castles. Is there any doubt why I was intrigued by Beyond a Black Door?

“I simply adore the delicate way you put things. How you cover the truth in softness to make it less sharp. Rose blossoms over thorns.”

From the very first page, I found myself transported into Kamai’s world. The idea of soulwalking and this haunting, forbidden Black Door
The Nerd Daily
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Annie Deo

Do you like dark fantasy? Did you watch Labyrinth and wish that the Goblin King would romantically sweep you around a ballroom? Are you one of the Phantom of the Opera fans that think Christine made a mistake and should’ve chosen Erik? Fascinated by the myth of Hades and Persephone? Well, here’s the perfect book for you!

First you may want to check out the content warnings posted by the author if you have any potential triggers—I always
Julie Zantopoulos
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
"You're mine. I embraced you before your mother did. My lips touched your brow before hers. I protected you from the world first."

This novel said so much about the gender and sexuality spectrum, about the many shades and varying levels of gender and sexual attraction and all within a dark and dangerous fantasy. It was pretty romance heavy but I was there for the forbidden dark nature and didn't mind it at all. I found the story to be compelling and interesting, the discussion and normalization
Fanna
Beyond The Black Door is a dark fantasy that follows an asexual and demi-biromantic protagonist who can walk souls through her journey on seeking revenge for the death of a close one but essentially, about the black door she comes across during her soul-walks because that door is holding someone—or something—that might be the reason for the darkness spreading in her life and her world.

Consider reading this review on my blog!

Solar, Lunar, Earthen. Cerebral, subconscious, physical. Spirit,
Hollis
Oct 18, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc
DNF at 13% (though I was considering it around 5%..)

Just not feeling this one. I was pulled in by the ace rep and while the worldbuilding (character's ability?) is sorta intriguing.. I'm just not feeling it.
Silvia
Oct 03, 2019 marked it as anticipated-2019
Shelves: rep-bi, rep-ace
Apparently the MC is a biromantic asexual and there's a villain romance ...more
Tiffany Bookwormgram
2.5/3 stars
I’m going to be generous and round up.

Immediate thoughts (pardon the rambles):

I had HIGH hopes for this one. Imagine my disappointment at the 80% mark when it was still Going Nowhere.

Listen, this book has some really cool concepts. I mean, soulwalkers and everyone’s different soul houses and the creepy ass Darkness should have SHINED here. Instead we listened to the MC’s meandering inner-monologue the whole time while Nothing Happened. But fear not, it all gets wrapped up in a nice,
Julie
This book was so addicting and so good. There were times where I couldn't pick it up because I knew I'd never put it down. I stayed up way later than usual last night to finish it. The world building and the mythology and so intricate and unique and well built. Asexuality is beautifully explored. The relationships are complex and incredible. There is a trans character who realizes on page that they're trans, but still asks to be referred to by the gender and name they were assigned at birth, so ...more
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 stars

e-ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Kamai and her mother are Soulwalkers- which means they can journey into other people's souls while they are asleep. Some souls are lush, beautiful gardens- others dark, terrifying things, and in every soul Kamai comes across a black door; one her mother constantly warns she must never open-no matter what, but when tragedy strikes- all of those warnings are ignored and the black door is opened.

I haven't
Leo
Jun 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ace-spec-rep
ALL I KNOW ABOUT THIS BOOK IS THAT IT HAS OWN VOICES ASEXUAL REP AND I’M HERE FOR IT.
Jenna
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
So. This book was a LOT. I picked it up for the asexuality rep bc hello it is I an asexual person! And I want to say first off - the ace rep was FLAWLESS. I loved seeing my sexuality in a fantasy book. However, as someone critiquing a fantasy book (ace stuff aside)...I actually had some issues with it. And I want to be honest about it all because I think people should know.

ASEXUALITY REP:

One of my FAVORITE things about this book was the little moon chart that explained gender identity and
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
Disclaimer: I received an Advance Reader Copy at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions in my review are my own.

I am greatly impressed with this book. The young adult world needs more dark fantasy stories like this one.

The premise of this book was outstanding. I loved every single piece of this story. The whole idea of Soulwalkers excites me. I did feel that some areas of the book had more telling than showing, but the overall world-building for this book is fantastic. There are so
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
I'm getting Bluebeard vibes. Please, let it be so.
Shalini
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a reader who enjoys the plot of the story rather than romance.

This book was a beautiful tale with an intricate worldbuilding which gave me Kamai, a Soul Walker who could enter souls, Nehyn, and get all the secrets

Every time Kamai entered a soul, there was a black door following her. She had been warned never to open that door by her mother. Circumstances changed when her mother was killed and she had to live with an unknown father. Curiosity and boredom killed the cat, and she did. Life
Kelsea
Aug 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: arc, reviewed
This book has a fantastic cover, an intriguing premise, and queer rep. Sadly, that's where the list of things I liked ends. I really, really wanted to love this book. It has been an anticipated read since April -- and here I am in August, having finished the book over a painful few days, writing this review rather reluctantly.

I read this with Tiffany and we had pretty similar thoughts on everything. The characters were flat and unbelievable (MC who vacillates between painfully naive and suddenly
Lisa
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2019
Unlike anything I've ever read before. The mythology of the world in Beyond the Black Door is so interesting (three gods representing the sun, moon and earth) and woven into the story beautifully.

I love a good romance in my fantasy books, so I wasn't sure how the story would play out with a asexual main character, but I really appreciate how the author presented Kamai's feelings - especially in all the ways being biromantic asexual is nuanced.

All the twists and secrets kept me on my toes. I
Isabel
Jun 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Book *has an own voices asexual rep*

Me, crying: Everything I am. Everything I have. Just take it.
Bethany
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, favorites
Beyond the Black Door is a serious page-turner that combines thrilling fantasy and dark romance with a beautiful approach to understanding gender and sexuality and a nuanced consideration of love, friendship, and potentially destructive relationships. Perhaps we cannot choose who we love, but we can choose how to act on it. I could not get enough of it and wanted read it all in one sitting! (alas, life got in the way of that) While there are a lot of differences, I suspect many fans of the ...more
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
*tagging this as it has an ace mc I believe?
Emma
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of good stuff, but I found it ‘all over the place’. I didn’t particularly like the main character either. There was a lot of rambling and ‘all around the houses’ which spoiled the dynamic of the book. The description and blurb sounded better than its actual execution.
Alexa
Feb 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
dark fantasy with a beautiful cover that has an ace/ace romance and several queer side characters?? GIVE ME

(it does have a couple of trigger warnings that I'm not sure about, but I think the pros outweigh the cons for me.)
Dany
Beyond the Black door is the story of Kamai when she opens a Black door in her soul while being warned not to.

Once I finished the book I couldn't do anything without thinking about the book. It was magnificent and the ending was the best part. I loved how A.M.Strickland has created an amazing world woven with magic and myth. I still can't believe this is her debut. I'm really looking forward to what she's gonna bring to this world.

I heard about this book from my blogger friend who was saying
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review on my blog Shades of Paper.

“Perhaps that was for the best. Some secrets weren’t meant to be discovered. Some doors not meant to be opened.”

I was so anticipating this book because the premise sounded absolutely fantastic and like something that was right up my alley, and I’m always on the hunt for morally grey villains and strong heroines, so I had such high hopes when it came to Beyond the Black Door, and overall, though I it had some really great elements that I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
You Are Never Too...: Beyond the black door 13 7 Dec 10, 2019 02:18PM

• Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • The Tenth Girl
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Memory Thief
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • Reverie
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
“I am merely one night of night unending.” 2 likes
“He wants everyone to forget you exist, as least until he presents you at court.” “I’m in danger of forgetting I exist,” I muttered.” 1 likes