Start by marking “Girls Like Us” as Want to Read:
Girls Like Us

Girls Like Us

Set in the summer of 1972, this moving YA historical novel is narrated by teen girls from different backgrounds with one thing in common: Each girl is dealing with pregnancy.
Four teenage girls. Four different stories. What they all have in common is that they’re dealing with unplanned pregnancies.

In rural Georgia, Izella is wise beyond her years, but burd
Published October 29th 2019 by Feiwel Friends

To ask other readers questions about Girls Like Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls Like Us

Start your review of Girls Like Us
Lola
This is the emotional tale of four girls who must each deal with unplanned pregnancies. It’s also a scary story, because it takes place during the summer of 1972, before abortion was decriminalized. It’s also scary because abortion is still such a controversial topic in the United States and it is not, still today, legal everywhere. Pro-choice and Pro-life debates are still very present and the author wrote this book to show how history manages to repeat itself, like the circle of life.

I felt c
Dylan
May 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars.

I guess this just....wasn't what I wanted/was expecting.

I thought this book was going to focus on abortion, since the synopsis says that it's so timely, but its hardly spoken about? It says that it's about woman's right to choose her future, but the majority of the characters ended up doing what's expected of them and nothing against "the norm".

Idk, I just wish this took place now vs the 70s, I think it would have done a lot better in that timeline.
Bookishrealm
Update! Here’s my full review: https://bookishrealmreviews.blogspot....

Damn....
The Nerd Daily
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Teralyn Mitchell

Girls Like Us was a masterpiece that weaved the stories of four girls dealing with unexpected pregnancies in the summer of 1972. This story follows two sisters, Ola and Izella. and two strangers, Missippi and Sue, as they try to deal with matters that no teenager should ever have to deal with. This was such a moving and timely story that I read in one sitting as once I started reading, I could not put it down. This book su
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
Nov 26, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019
Second 2019 YA book I've seen so far that is dealing with this topic and all I can say is.... It's about damn time!
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Netgalley, Feiwel & Friends, and RockStar Book Tours for this free copy.

So I read one of my friend’s reviews before I started this book, and she said that it was a pretty tough book emotionally to read. Not in those words specifically, but that’s pretty much the vibe I got from her review.

Well I wasn’t freaking ready for it.

Well I wasn’t freaking ready for it.

This book really gave me similar feelings to what I had reading All the Bad Apples, but more instantly. From the get go, we know that this book deals with unplanned pregnancies, and from the get go, we know that not all of these girls are going to have a perfect ending to this journey. Now, this isn’t really a spoiler because of the time period that this book takes place in.

Not only does teenage pregnancy get an extremely bad rep during the 70’s, but abortion isn’t legal either. So unless a girl is able to find someone to give her an illegal and probably hella dangerous abortion without people finding out, then she either is shamed by society or sent to some hideaway house where she and a bunch of other girls will have to have their babies in secret. Clearly, this wasn’t only happening in the United States, because All the Bad Apples takes place in Ireland, and that was the same thing going on there.

Looking at the quote that I shared above, you would think that this would apply to sooooooo many people that can see that these girls need help. Need better help than what’s available. And not just our main girls, but so many girls and women during this time period that didn’t want to get pregnant, aren’t ready to be mothers, whatever the case may be. But it’s like that line supposedly only applies to people that are dealing with “noble” reasons, like losing their job because of the war, or whatever else is going on. A girl being pregnant? No, she’s a sinner and a whore and deserves to suffer. Because that’s okay, right?

Ugh this time period seriously pisses me off when it comes to these kinds of thought processes, and that’s why this book was so emotional to me. I could just imagine the women and girls living in the 70’s that risked their lives to get unsanctioned abortions, trying to get their lives back and still get shunned or abandoned by those that are supposed to love them no matter what. All of those feelings of anger, hurt, and frustration came back up while I was reading this, and books like these hurt to read so much because I start to identify with their situations and want to jump into the book and freaking HELP THEM. But I can’t!

This book just took a lot out of me, and I feel like every other page I was shaking my head with the pain that these girls had to go through, the criticism, and the heartache. While I did not enjoy this book in the traditional sense – meaning I wasn’t all sunshine and rainbows and smiling while I read this – I felt like this was such an important read, and one that I needed to have in my life. It really made me stop and think, think about the people my mom knew growing up that were in this same situation, what they had to go through, and what would have happened to me if I was in their shoes. How lucky my mom was that her family didn’t disown her, even though she was already 21 and about to graduate from college by the time I was born. She was still young, and that wasn’t something that her family was expecting at all.

This just really gave me a lot of feelings.

Tina
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A timely novel, telling stories of young women who are victims of others, their own choices, and the times the live in. A deeply moving and appropriate book at a time when women’s bodies are being regulated.
Ola and Eliza live with their mother Evangeline who is religious and prides Hesiod in raising Christian girls who are prepared to be good wives. She does charity for anyone she can, feeds everyone, and even visits the girl that everyone else looks down upon, Mississippi. When younger Eliza r
Paige Green
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Author: Randi Pink

Book Series: Standalone.

Rating: 3.5/5

Publication Date: October 29, 2019

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends

Recommended Age: 16+ (pregnancy, sex)

Synopsis: Set in the summer of 1972, this moving YA historical novel is narrated by teen girls from different backgrounds with one thing in common: Each girl is dealing with pr
Kristen
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Netgalley provided me a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was beautiful and heartbreaking and paints a picture of the difficulties teen mothers faced in the 70's. Four young girls share their pregnancy stories (or in Izella's case, her sister's story). The girls come from different backgrounds and situations, and they are all looking for a little kindness, a little acceptance, and a way to move forward.

There are some fantastic side characters (a woman who house
Ivana
This book is about a woman’s right to choose, a timely issue that should be written about and discussed more. It follows the lives of different girls who are affected by unplanned pregnancies in 1972, and ends in the present day/future.

I wanted to like this book so much, but ultimately it didn’t read like YA. It didn’t have much dialogue and was pretty dry for teenage readers. It was also inconsistent, starting as a slow-paced historical fiction novel and ending dramatically and abruptly in the
Eilis
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pac
Must read. It feels real and moving and it was so easy to connect with the characters.
A short but beautiful story on the importance of women's rights as well as how we can support each other and make each other grow!
Samantha land
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the inclusiveness and positivity that this book provided. I felt the girl power throughout it.
Constance
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can’t wait to read this book!!! The time is now, The issue is being discussed in the news everywhere about women, the atmosphere is ripe,and who better to hear it from...than a woman !!!!
Elly Swartz
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Girls Like Us by Randi Pink casts a powerful lens on the issue of a woman’s right to choose at an important time in our history. Pink masterfully weaves a story with heart and soul that reflects how unplanned pregnancy touches the lives of 4 girls in 4 very different and compelling ways. Honest. Raw. Moving. Powerful. A must read.

I received an arc of this book.
Barbara
Set in 1972 before Roe v. Wade affirmed the constitutional right of women to a safe and legal abortion, this book explores the choices made by four girls whose lives are changed by an unwanted pregnancy. Readers may be confused at first about how the connections between the girls will be made, but if they read patiently, they will find them. A couple of reviewers noted that this book was not about abortion. To some extent, that is true, but at its heart it deals with the right of a woman to choo ...more
Michelle Adamo #emptynestreader
Girls Like Us is a YA novel, set in 1972. The story follows 4 teenaged girls (ages 13-17), each dealing with an unplanned pregnancy. Three of the girls are themselves pregnant. The fourth is a younger sister who is deeply affected by her older sister’s pregnancy and is angry and frustrated with her for having gotten into this situation. The story is told from the perspective of each of these 4 girls.

Two of the girls meet when they are sent to Chicago to live with Mrs. Pearline, a woman who take
Sara
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough to receive an advance reader's copy of this book. It has no impact on my review.

TW: rape, incest, graphic pregnancy, familial manipulation

Please take discretion before reading this book, as it contains sensitive material. Your mental health is more important than any message.

For the sometimes traumatizing nature of the book, I cannot recommend this book to younger audiences in the YA spectrum. My recommendation is for high school
Jodi
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Randi Pink's historical novel Girls Like Us, she presents a story of unplanned teen pregnancies in a time where abortion was not a viable option and pregnant teens, especially in small Southern towns, were shunned or hidden away to have their babies.

It is in this environment that we meet two of the three narrators of this story. Izella is the baby sister of a family of women - she has an older sister, Ola, and their mother operates under the name Evangelist, being both mama and pr
Tamara Morning
Title: Girls Like Us
Author: Randi Pink
Genre: YA, historical
Rating: 3 out of 5

Georgia, 1972.

Izella and her sister Ola do everything just as their mother, a very religious woman, tells them. Cooking, cleaning, serving…and most of all, staying out of trouble and not getting pregnant. Except Ola didn’t listen to that last one, and now Izella must get her out of trouble somehow.

Their neighbor, Missippi, is also pregnant, through no fault of her own—and
Amy (novelteahappyme)
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Girls Like Us” is one of the best YA novels I have read in 2019. Author Randi Pink has created a brilliant and timely tale of historical fiction that offers a trio of female protagonists that will remain in readers hearts long after the final page. A story of female friendship, sisterhood, grace and loss, “Girls Like Us” does not hold back from examining the issue of teen pregnancy and abortion laws in the United States.

There is so much beauty and depth to be found in this novel. Randi Pink is
Thindbooks
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can I just say Wow?! This novel is a coming-of-age, family book. This book is well written and has 4 different points of views. The characters were well developed, showed their uniqueness and told the readers how they felt about being pregnant because each story was different. There was one character who wasn't pregnant but she was a sister to a girl who was pregnant which showed us how she felt about it. The plot was well structured and flowed. At first, I thought the chapters were too long and ...more
Sarah See
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Girls Like Us" tackles the topic of teenage pregnancy in the early 1970s by creating a cast of characters who either are pregnant or directly involved with the girl who is pregnant (such as Izella whose sister Ora is the pregnant girl). These girls are African American with one exception of Sue, a white Vietnam war protestor. This novel gives a glimpse into the historical context, social norms of the time/place and the stigmas young women were subjected to when they found out they were pregnant ...more
Lisa C
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Girls Like Us is a historical novel that is very timely. The well-developed characters are all pregnant teenagers during a time when choice was not the law of the land. A few of the girls are from loving families but some are cruelly judged by their parents and communities and even cursed by the wicked. All of these girls must leave their home and face pregnancy and delivery in the hidden shadows of Chicago. Girls Like Us addresses both multicultural and socioeconomic issues faced by young girls ...more
cat ♡
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Hmmm. This is a hard one to review. I enjoyed a lot of it, but felt like the discussion of "a woman’s right to choose her future" that is promised in the synopsis never really happened. Most of the girls did exactly what was expected of them in that time. I also found the switch at the end to current day abrupt and it went way too quickly. The characters were well fleshed out and I mostly enjoyed reading about them, and some important topics were touched on, but overall it was just okay for me a ...more
Leah
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, read-2019
Topical and accessible, giving a historical viewpoint on the topic not typically seen in YA literature. I appreciated the different backstories and outcomes, as well as those characters who were vividly portrayed. I also liked the final section, which brought things even closer to readers today. There was something a bit... unpolished maybe about the writing and abrupt about the endings, but perhaps this is meant to indicate the ongoing battle over the issue.

Thanks to NetGalley and t
Tara
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-copyright
Girls Like Us follows four teenage girls during the 70's who are all dealing with pregnancy. An important historical fiction novel about pregnant teens and how they were treated prior to Roe vs. Wade.

I ultimately did like this book and the message it conveyed, but I think it will be difficult for teen readers to relate to. Some of the language was challenging, and it took a long time for everything to weave together. A good choice for strong readers, but not one with massively wide a
Janet
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Book deals with teen pregnancy in the time before abortion was legal to a possible future where it might be illegal again. Mostly deals with the lives of 5 unwed teens who find themselves pregnant and the paths they take and the impact on their lives. While I think it would be a difficult book for many school libraries, I think it is an important book. Not preachy or judgmental although ending could be taken as a warning.
Lee Malone
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unique and powerfully written, this book had me crying in an airport. Pink weaves together the stories of several different young women, all facing hard choices. What makes this book unforgettable is the voices of the characters. Pink doesn't shy away from some pretty brutal realities of her characters' lives but does it in a way that makes everyone feel human and real, including the adults. Highly recommended.

(I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review)
Chrissie Morrison
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Teen pregnancy is not anything new.  Things have changed quite a bit, though, since teen moms now don't tend to get shipped off to finish their pregnancy and give birth in secret.  Can you even imagine being uprooted from your home, taken away from your support system of friends and family, and then being expected to give birth and give away your child only to pretend it had never happened in the first place?  This story takes place in 1972 and features four different teen girls dealing with unp ...more
Brittany
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen
I'm confused about this mostly. In the description it states how it's "timely" and about "a woman's right to choose her future," but really it was the opposite. I love when authors use their voices to champion for a topic they believe it, but it also has to be appealing to its intended audience and I think this book misses the mark on that. I mostly enjoyed these characters, but I'm unsure how I would even recommend it.

• Light It Up
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Slay
  • The Memory Thief
  • The Lady Rogue
  • The Revolution of Birdie Randolph
  • Refraction
  • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone #1)
  • Glow Girl
  • The Downstairs Girl
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • The Athena Protocol
Randi Pink grew up in the South and attended a mostly white high school. She lives with her husband and their two rescue dogs in Birmingham, Alabama, where she works for a branch of National Public Radio. Into White is her fiction debut.