Jump to ratings and reviews
Shaine

It's Christmas in Cringle Cove. Somebody save me.

This place makes me crazy with all the decorations. But one thing makes being here even worse: my ex-boyfriend. In fact, he makes me regret ever leaving the house.

One wrong step and I fall—hard. Who's there to save me? None other than Max. Seeing him again brings back so many memories. One, in particular, brings tears to my eyes—the day I ended us.

He’s all I think about. All I see. And he wants me back.

However, returning to Max means choosing a road I never thought I’d take again.

Maxton

I always know when Shaine’s home on break from college. Every part of my being goes on high alert the second she enters Cringle Cove. She was once mine, but not anymore.

That is until I find her on the ground in pain. Ice happens.

With her suddenly near, I have to fight the constant urge to wrap my arms around her and kiss her. We aren’t the same people we used to be.

We have a lot to work through. Hearts to mend. If Shaine is my Christmas gift, it'll be worth all the pain.

This will be one long week.

There are six books in The Cringle Cove Christmas Chronicles. Each book is a standalone with a guaranteed HEA.

Christmas On The Rocks by Michelle Dare

Loading interface...

About the author

Michelle Dare

70 books1,353 followers
Michelle Dare is a USA Today Bestselling Author. Her stories range from sweet to sinful and from paranormal to contemporary. There aren’t enough hours in the day for her to write all the story ideas in her head. When not writing or reading, she’s a wife and mom living in eastern Pennsylvania. One day she hopes to be writing from a beach where she will never have to see snow or be cold again.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/authormichel...
Facebook Reader Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dares...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/michelle_dare
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/author/michell...
Newsletter Sign-Up: http://bit.ly/2yRjWA3

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (1%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 84 reviews
Profile Image for Isha Coleman.
6,797 reviews131 followers
January 2, 2019
Anyone who says a broken heart builds character, clearly hasn't had a heart that's been deeply wounded. Dare lays out an exercise in healing. Christmas on the Rocks is a heart-tugging tale of lost love. Haunted by regret and tempted by forever history has a way of finally setting hearts right. For Maxton and Shaine maturity has taught them to tread carefully when it comes to matters of the heart. This time, can the couple who happened to get romance wrong, succeed at finally getting it right?
Profile Image for Amber.
599 reviews3 followers
November 14, 2018
I dont read a lot of holiday romances as usually theyre too short or too cheesy for me LOL However, I really loved Christmas on the Rocks by Michelle Dare. She did amazing with the characters and the place setting that was built around them. The connection from Shaine and Maxton can be felt through the pages of this story. Your heart really goes out to the couple and once you start reading there's no putting it down. I really loved Maxton, he goes in the book boyfriend vault LOL I really wouldn't mind reading more from these characters or even some of the other characters within the story.
Profile Image for Linda Rea.
2,157 reviews14 followers
November 26, 2018
This is a perfect Christmas story at least for me. Shaine is home on Christmas break and maybe she can avoid all the Christmasy stuff and Max her ex. Shaine is like a college aged Scrooge but a lot of it is because she and Max don’t date anymore and it’s no ones fault but her own. When she slips on ice and Max helps her they agree to try and be friends but they are both so afraid of getting hurt again it’s going to take a lot of trust to get there. I loved the characters and how normal they were with their honest feelings being shared, and how the whole town seemed to put in their two cents. It’s a small town Christmas story where everyone isn’t happy all the time but they pretend to be except Shaine.
Profile Image for Cindy Fong.
1,533 reviews
November 29, 2018
Home - it is the one place that Shaine hates to visit especially during the holidays becasue she does all that she can to avoid the one person who can break her, Max. Although her hiding from Max tactics have worked in the past, this holiday fate puts them both innto each other's path and forces them to come to terms with one another. With a little prodding of her sister Willow and his friend Dean, can Max and Shanie finally work through their problems are realize that apart they are broken, together they are whole. This was a fun, quick holiday read.
Profile Image for Denise.
4,120 reviews13 followers
November 29, 2018
I do not read many Christmas themed novels or stories but their were a few authors that got me to read theirs as this was one of them. This one was a quick and delightful read that had me rooting for a second chance louder than I have in a long time. Shaine and Max are like two peas running away but this time something will be a bit different. Follow them getting pulled on the edge in a good way cheering them along. This relationship will give you the fuzzies and leave you feeling more than good.
Profile Image for Veronica LaRoche.
3,994 reviews50 followers
November 28, 2018
Love second chance Christmas stories, then you will love reading Max and Shaine’s story. Shaine & Max are so perfect for each other and I really enjoyed their story. You can feel the emotions the characters are feeling and the love they have for each other is undeniable. A short second chance Christmas romance that every one should one click.

I voluntarily reviewed this Advanced Reader Copy of this book.
Profile Image for Lorie Glowania.
554 reviews26 followers
November 26, 2018
This is a quick holiday read that I highly recommend for fans of the second chance romances. Shaine broke up with Maxton before leaving for college tearing him apart. Now back in town for the holidays they meet again. Is there still a chance or is it over. This is a story about growing up and finding your way.
Profile Image for Kim  Brewing.
3,143 reviews31 followers
May 8, 2019
Can I hit them both over the head with a large candy cane?!? It's been awhile since I have been so frustrated with two characters. If they had spent as much time making amends as they did guarding their hearts they would have been together so much sooner. I will say that we get lots of story for a novella.
Profile Image for Elaine.
719 reviews3 followers
November 26, 2018
Michelle Dare is one of my go to author's. Her books are beautifully written and her characters flow with ease, this story is the same. I fell in love with Maxton and Shaine truely high school sweathearts but she was going to college and broke his heart!
The story doesn't end there!!!
Profile Image for Suzanne.
2,384 reviews38 followers
November 30, 2018
It is like Michelle Dare cloned me into a story! I am exactly how Shaine is when it comes to Christmas. Then you have Max. I totally get where she was coming from not wanting to come home. But then she lets things out and explains it all and my heart broke for Max. I understood the reasonings but doesn’t make it any less heartbreaking. This town is totally magical as Max tries to woo Shaine no matter how much she fights it or tries to avoid them. They are meant to be together. I have to say I giggled a lot with this story and it was so enjoyable. This is a great little town with so much magic! But seriously…. Where is my pin?
Profile Image for Tanya .
541 reviews10 followers
December 19, 2022
This second-chance romance is an okay read. I loved the character's personalities, the slow-burn romance, and the holiday season mentioned in the book. The author missed the holiday and seasonal vibes as they were so much in the story's background. I liked the story's overall plot, and I connected emotionally with them. At the same time, they navigated the past, present, and future with some bumps in the road. But the story was missing something that would have made it genuinely great, maybe more holiday vibes and seasonal feels or an in-depth description to connect with the setting. But this is a great second chance romance.

Shaine is from a small town and doesn't look forward to coming home from college. She mostly doesn't want to go home to run into her ex. Her parents live in the land of Cringle Cove, Pennsylvania. She doesn't love the festive nightmare in this small town at Christmas and would love to live in a warmer state. She is still regretting the break-up and fixing her own broken heart from Maxton. Shaine is feisty and seems to cuss like a sailor and a wreck.

Maxton regrets his decisions and can't get the girl that broke his heart out of his head. He is a bit grumpy, and she's a little scroogey. But he is also possessive in still thinking of her as his. He is a caring big hearted mechanic but still pinning after his high school sweetheart.

He is also a knight in shining armor coming to her rescue. I love that her sister is teaming up with his best friend to help them make a move and end this stalemate of brokenness. However, they both have valid fears about why they shouldn't be together or try again.

The author is a little brash in her writing and creative language, but it gives her characters authenticity. I noticed it is only in conversation, not so much in the thoughts. However, this book Is geared toward adult readers. The relationship is dramatic as they learn to trust each other again; however, the steamy scenes lean toward a romance. Max makes me swoon with that romantic gesture that leads us to the epilogue. They have the stuff to figure out still. But it works out in the epilogue. I do so love the festive romance and special time for them. Something was skipped over in the story that could have made it wonderful. It was how the holiday stuff was touched on but not described. It was in the background of the romance.
Profile Image for Stefanie Kral.
685 reviews23 followers
December 18, 2018
✯✯4 Second Chance Stars!!!✯✯

If you’re a fan of second chance romance stories, this is for you. If you’re a Michelle Dare fan, again this is for you and if you’re a Christmas love you definitely wanna read this.

Shaine and max were high school sweethearts. Shaine couldn’t wait to go to college and getaway from their town of Cringle Cove. It’s a small town surrounded by everything Christmas and everybody knows everybody. Nobodies business is their own. Right before Shaine left for college she blindsided max and broke up with him. Max was beyond crushed and hurt. So, when she called him shortly after begging him to take her back he denied her and they haven’t seen or talked to each other since.

It’s been years since they’ve had contact. Whenever Shaine comes home she sticks close to her house bc she doesn’t wanna run into Max. Max can sense her whenever she’s home. He moved across town away from her parents house.

They might not of seen each other in awhile but these two are still in love with each other. When Shaine slips and falls on ice it’s Max whose there to help pick her up off the ground. Their connection & chemistry is still there and on fire. It’s then that they decide they want the other one back.

But, in order for that they have to get over the hurt that they’re still holding onto. They have to learn to let go of the past and let the love they have for each other be #1. It’ll take time but if they want to be happy they either need to move on from the past together or separate.

If you’re looking for a nice, cute and quick read then this is it!!
Profile Image for Michelle Mulvey.
796 reviews10 followers
December 2, 2018
Shaine Prescott and Maxton Kenrick were high school sweethearts who lived in Cringle Cove. Christmas is Cringle
Cove is like a winter wonderland. Before Shaine left for college she broke Maxton’s heart by ending their relationship. She thought the grass would be greener on the other side. She quickly realized she made a huge mistake and wanted Max back but he would not give in to her.

Here it is, years later and they finally run into each other again. Max actually rescues Shaine whe. She falls on ice and injures her back. Both are still very much I love with each other but are afraid to make the first move. Will they be able to pick up where they left off? It has been years since they have been together. Trust is a huge factor in a relationship and Shaine walks in to find a situation and flips out. Will Max be able to tell her the truth or is Shaine to mad to hear him out. There are a few tears shed by Shaine throughout this book but sometimes a girl needs that to break through her rough exterior and really go after what she wants.

I thought this was a great book however in the beginning I wasn’t a fan of Shaine’s.
Profile Image for Judy.
1,674 reviews
December 1, 2018
This story has three of my favorite things! 1) The setting takes place at Christmas, 2) It's a second chance romance story, and 3) It's written by Michelle Dare! Her stories are always like visiting old friends even when you haven't even met them yet.

Shaine broke Max's heart when she left for college. She was led to believe she couldn't have a boyfriend and live the "college life", so she broke up with him. When she realized her mistake she tried to get him back, but he wasn't interested. Because of that, whenever she's visiting home she stays close to her mom's house so she won't accidentally run into Max. But, on her latest trip home for Christmas she falls on ice and of course who is the knight in shining armor of all people, but Max!

This was such a great story! It was a quick read, yet it had all the elements of a full story (not rushed, details left out)!
46 reviews
December 10, 2018
Shaine and Maxton have a history that neither can move from. Shaine sought to leave Cringle Cove, her Christmas themed town, as soon as the ink dried on her High School diploma. She also left Maxton, her high school boyfriend behind. Maxton likes Cringle Cove and Christmas, He was heartbroken when Shaine left, but had enough fortitude to not come running when she changed her mind and begged for him to come back to her. So now she is also heartbroken.
This short novella highlights how these two souls find their HEA.
I liked Max and the peripheral characters. I found Shaine a bit hard to take, especially her constant swearing and complaining about Christmas and her town, The dialogue was snappy though, and the story flowed. And there was a Happy Ending.
I will probably read more about Cringle Cove, it sounds like a fun place to be.
Profile Image for Raecharmed.
7,387 reviews40 followers
December 17, 2018
Max and Shaine were high school sweethearts but when she went off to college she knew that they wanted different things so she ended things between them. Shaine is back in her home town again and dreads running into her ex because she hasn't really gotten over him. Max always knows when Shaine is back and longs for what might've been. However when she falls on some ice its Max who rescues her. Sparks still fly between them even after being apart. Can they work through things and get back together?

This is a great story about a second chance at love. Once I started it I couldn't put it down. The chemistry between them is off the charts hot. This is a well written and very entertaining story. I would recommend it to any book lover.

Profile Image for Jenny Harris.
3,471 reviews24 followers
January 19, 2019
I received this book with the understanding that I could leave a voluntary and honest review.

In this book we meet Shaine Prescott and Maxton Kenrick. Shaine is still in love with Maxton but she knows when she left for college she would never get a second chance with him. That doesn't mean she doesn't crave it with all her being. Maxton doesn't know how to get past the fact that Shaine is still the only woman he truly wants. Can these find their HEA or will the hurt from the past be more than either can overcome?

This is an amazing story. It does have its ups and downs I really want to tell you about. However I don't want to ruin it for any other reader. I will say this book will grab you from the first word and not let go till the very end. I would highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.
1,258 reviews8 followers
December 8, 2018
4 1/2 Stars

When Shaine returns home for Christmas break, she’s in a foul mood. Heartbroken and still in love with Max, the love of her life, she’s had a chance to grow up while attending college.
Regret fills her soul and haunts her mind as she relives the horrible period in her life when she breaks up with Max and ruins both their lives.
This Second Chance Christmas story was heartbreakingly sweet, with Max finally forgiving Shaine and having his HEA with her.
A bit of drama with a jealous ex, but Max stands behind Shaine to help heal that painful history.
Well written and fast paced with dual POVs that enhanced the storyline.

1,249 reviews8 followers
November 30, 2018
Shaine is home at Cringle Cove for the college break. She hates Christmas - and wants not to run into Maxton, the boy she broke up with before she went to college - the man she will always love. She tried to reconcile a year later, but he wouldnt go there. Max still loves her too, but is afraid of getting hurt again. A lot of people in the town think she is not good enough for him. Will they be able to work it out? This story made me laugh, and it made me cry - Michelle is an amazing author!

Profile Image for Crystal Spieker.
136 reviews3 followers
December 2, 2018
Christmas On The Rocks is the perfect Holiday story that will make your heart swell, and give you that feel good life is warm and cozy feel! Set in Cringle Cove, the ultimate Christmas town, Shaine is back from college for Christmas break, and doing everything she can to avoid the town and all its Christmas glory and even more so Maxton! Unfortunately for her life (or ice..and a few others) have different plans. Max and Shaine’s story is the second chance Holiday romance you don’t want to miss!
3,777 reviews7 followers
December 6, 2018
Shaine and Maxton were high school sweethearts. They broke up when Shaine went to college. She wanted to experience more and Maxton only wanted to stay in their small town.

I didn’t care that Maxton’s hook ups are in this novella. In fact both of them have sampled many other people in their time apart. Which is fair. I can’t stand when it’s only the guy.

They constantly say how neither moved on but that’s just maybe emotionally.

Profile Image for Vanessa Fischer.
115 reviews6 followers
December 6, 2018
She thought it was better to go to college without a boyfriend and broke it off with her only true love. No one has ever measured up to him. She avoids him every time she comes home. She knows she made a mistake, but doesn't think there is a way to repair the damage done. He was devastated when she broke things off and has never recovered. A fall on an icy patch with him as witness and he comes to the rescue. An interesting read to follow their story.

Profile Image for Velma Pena.
57 reviews
December 10, 2018
Can a fall on an icy patch change their story? Christmas On The Rocks is the perfect Holiday story. Shaine thought it was better to go to college without a boyfriend and broke it off with her only true love. No one has ever measured up to him. She avoids him every time she comes home because she knows made a mistake but doesn't think there is a way to repair the damage done. Max was devastated when Shaine broke things off and never recovered. An interesting read to follow their story.

1,342 reviews5 followers
December 12, 2018
Shaine is home for the holidays, still loves Max but she is still too frightened to be hurt by his rejection again. Now if he wants her back (and he does!!!) then it is up to him to work on assuring her that he loves her, wants her and won't reject her again? These two are too stubborn to take the initiative on their own without some helpful advice and much needed pushes from loving mamas and caring bffs. And the Christmas holidays is a wonderful time for love!

Profile Image for Ewa.
1,840 reviews
December 12, 2018
It was great,christmasy story.
Sweet,sexy and funny, quick and delightful read .
The second chance for Shaine and Max. They are running away from each other with broken hearts.
Is this time running to each other will be a bit different. Ok, maybe not running,she slipped on the ice.
Will he save her? Will she accept help.
Follow them getting pulled on the edge and you may even start cheering them along.
Enjoy!

Profile Image for Catherine Coffman.
722 reviews6 followers
December 26, 2018
Shaine is home on Christmas break to Cringle Cove the place she hates the most with all the Christmas decorations, ice, cold and her ex boyfriend Max.

Max has never stopped loving Shaine and when she home for Christmas break he’s hoping that she will be his again.

One slip on the ice and Max is there to save Shaine. Shaine has never stopped loving Max but her heart was broken and she’s not sure she wants to let Max back in. Can they move past there past and find love with each other again. Cringle Cove is a magical place where anything is possible. A must read holiday story.
647 reviews2 followers
August 1, 2019
This was a fantastic second chance holiday romance from Michelle Dare. Shaine and Max were high school sweethearts until life decisions tore them apart. Now reunited years later, emotions are stirred and Shaine and Max must heal their hearts in order to make amends and find love again. Christmas on the Rock was fabulously well written with wonderful characters readers will fall in love with. This is a must read holiday story that readers will fall in love with and won't want to put down.

November 29, 2018
Christmas on the Rocks is a great second chance romance. Although the story is a short read, it flows well, and the characters are well written.

Shaine and Maxton have been separated since she went to college. She broke his heart and now that she’s back in Cringle Cove for the holidays, she is dreading their encounter. Although she stressed me out a few times because of her negative attitude, I think she and Max are perfect for each other. Max is definitely book-boyfriend material.
Profile Image for Véronique Laplante Grenier.
1,138 reviews7 followers
December 3, 2018
I never was a big fan of holliday romance or stories in general, but with Michelle Dare being one of my fave author I didnt hesitate before reading this one and wasnt dissapointed. Really fell in love with these two caracters. It really was a lovely story. I could barely put it down. Will sure be reading the other books in The Cringle Cove Christmas Chronicles.

700 reviews5 followers
December 5, 2018
Fantastic Xmas second chance romance! I loved this quick read so hard. Michelle Dare's writing will suck you into the character's emotions. Told in both Shaine and Max's POV.
Shaine is back from college for Christmas break. She hates that her home town is so festive. She hates it more because Max is there and she ruined them.
Max is determined to get Shaine back. She's always been his and he's going to prove it to her.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 84 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.