Start by marking “Reunited with the Cowboy (Heroes of Shelter Creek #1)” as Want to Read:
Reunited with the Cowboy (Heroes of Shelter Creek #1)

Reunited with the Cowboy

(Heroes of Shelter Creek #1)

She can save his ranch…

But can he forgive her?

Maya Burton knows she’s the last person rancher Caleb Dunne wants to see. After all, she survived the crash that killed his sister, and then left town. Now she has to convince the stubborn cowboy that she can help him save his ranch. But once she earns his trust—and his heart—will she be able to walk away?
Published July 1st 2019 by Harlequin Heartwarming

To ask other readers questions about Reunited with the Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reunited with the Cowboy

Start your review of Reunited with the Cowboy (Heroes of Shelter Creek #1)
Roni Denholtz
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great addition to the contemporary cowboy/western romance genre. The characters have a lot of baggage, but I quickly came to care for them. The plot is unique and held my interest the entire time I was reading. I loved the main characters and the secondary ones too. The fact that the heroine had an interesting occupation--wildlife management--added to the story. I plan to read more books by this talented author!
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
“Sometimes the long roads are the ones worth walking.”

Maya and Caleb have both been down long roads, and as I quoted above sometimes those long roads are worth it because they are the ones that so often bring about the most healing. Healing still seems a long way away, though, as their story begins; they both have to face past nightmares head-on and sort through all the emotions that surface as they reunite for the first time since the tragic accident that drove them apart.

I really loved Maya in
Babs
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, western

Maya is headed home as she thinks something is wrong with her grandmother. The last place she wants to be but she has to do it. Being a biologist a short term assignment has helped to bring her back.

Called Dunne and Maya were high school sweet hearts that was until Julie was killed with Maya in an accident. Caleb is devastated by the loss of his sister and turns on Maya calling her names even murderer. Returning from the military they are both back home.

Once they meet it all starts over again…T
Phylis Carpenter
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An awesome story that tears at your heart strings a time or two or three maybe more. When the story starts Maya wants to head home after being gone for years thinking something was wrong with her grandmother. The reason she thought this was her grandmother had been coming to see her all the time so she didn't have to go home and face her past.

Maya is a biologist her works in the field and studies wild life and their habitats. She gets a short term assignment that forces her to go back to her hom
Kathryn Cooper
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Giveaway and Review on my site. Kathryn Cooper Writes

I love country life cowboy books. Maybe it's because I'm a born and razed Texas gal. 😁

Maya and Caleb had loved each other back in their teenage days. But there had been a terrible car accident when Caleb's sister died. Maya had been driving. Years later Maya came home to see her grandma. She had to see some mountain lions for work on his property. Things don't go well.

Caleb had gone through war in the Marine Core. He had emotional scars from
Lori
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sweet love story that will leave you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next.
This is a great read with forgiveness and a light (hope) at the end of all the hurt and anger that our two favorite characters are going through.
Thing is about this story that I didn't like, was how they kept dragging this out never letting the past really go.
Yes, I know it's very hard to do when certain trials in life are getting you down. Believe me, I know.
I now understand why it's sometimes hard
Jane
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love the redemption in this story. Maya and Caleb both carry guilt from their past. Maya about the accident that killed Caleb’s sister and Caleb about an incident in Afghanistan as well as his sister’s death. Maya left her hometown soon after the accident after being cleared of wrongdoing, yet there are a few who still blame her for the death. Hateful things were said after the accident. With the support of her loving grandmother and her grandmother’s friends, Maya learns to face those people. ...more
Brittany
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reunited with the Cowboy was a really good story. The two main characters, Maya and Caleb, had a very painful past to overcome if they were going to work together. The author did an amazing job of creating two characters who had suffered so much due to tragic circumstances. They were both still suffering in their own ways, and needed to learn how to overcome and rise above the events that ended up defining them.

I loved the connection that Maya and Caleb began to feel toward each other and the se
Hallie Szott
It’s time for a second chance with the start to Claire McEwan’s Heroes of Shelter Creek series, Reunited With the Cowboy.

Once high school sweethearts, Maya Burton and Caleb Dunne have spent years separated by a tragic accident and the guilt and grief it caused. When her job takes her back to her hometown, it’s time to face the past and the possibility of forgiveness and reconciliation. Not an easy task, to be sure, but with wildlife, ranching, and a whole lot of history between them, Maya and Ca
Suzie Waltner
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

In Reunited with the Cowboy, Claire McEwen crafts a story of grief, growth, and forgiveness. Maya and Caleb have grieved their loss separately for years. Now it’s time to face the past together.

McEwen combines a swoon-worthy romance with some humor delivered by The Book Biddies (Maya’s grandmother and her friends will make you laugh), struggles of ranching and small-town life, and healing from the pain of the past. Plus, get a peek into the unique and informative work Maya does with mou
Beth Carpenter
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wide-open spaces, mountain lions, and cowboys and two wounded people coming together to heal. It hits all the right notes for me.
Amy
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not had the pleasure of reading anything by Claire McEwen until I read Reunited with the Cowboy. I enjoyed this beginning of the Heroes of Shelter Creek series. It tells the story of ex-Marine Caleb Dunne coming back home to his family’s ranch. Coming back to town makes him end up meeting up with his ex-flame, Maya Burton. She has the skills to help him with the ranch. However, he does not trust her. Can he learn to get passed past hurts and learn to forgive to save the legacy of his fami ...more
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Prism Book Tours. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Will coming home be worth the risk?
Reunited with the Cowboy by Claire McEwen is like a wonderful trip down memory lane. I used to live not that far away from a town similar to the one that Ms. McEwen wrote about in this book, so that was really neat. My family is from Willits, and I thought it was awesome how everything tied together.
Maya Burton
May
Carole Jarvis
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Reviewed at The Power of Words: https://bit.ly/30rOTUe

Sometimes you start reading a series romance – expecting it to be good in the ordinary way – only to discover that you hold a gem in your hands. Reunited with the Cowboy by Claire McEwen is a romance with emotion, complexity, and rich characterization. I was caught up from the very first page and enjoyed this engaging story.

Maya and Caleb are appealing and relatable characters, but with no surface-level perfection. Instead, they are realistic
Harlie Williams
Ms. McEwen has been a favorite of mine for a while and I love the beginning of her series for the line.  What really grabbed me from the start was Maya's grandmother and her friends, The Book Biddies.  They always had Maya's back from the start and it was funny but also endearing.  They knew what the real story was no matter what the rest of the town thought.  Oh yes, Maya survived the crash but her friend didn't.  All I'm going to say is that once people, especially Caleb FINALLY listen to her ...more
Nanna
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, Inspirational story of how sorrow, grief and forgiveness can change lives. A great start to a new series, I sure hope the rest are this good.
Maya Burton and Caleb Dunne were high school sweethearts 13 years ago. They thought they would be together forever. Until, Caleb's sister Julie and her best friend Trisha get drunk at a party and call for a ride home. Caleb instead of going himself calls Maya to pick them up there is a accident and Julie is killed.
Trisha is badly injure
LAWonder10
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maya had fled as far away from home as she could after the cruel words from the man she had planned on spending the rest of her life with. Now, after many years, she was given an assignment to spend her summer there, leasing to a promotion and her dream job. This was good, right? It would give her a chance to visit her grandmother, who had determined she could no longer travel so far to visit her granddaughter.
After the tragic accident that took the life of his sister, causing him to drive away
Connie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy of this book and I am voluntarily reviewing it.

This was just an intriguing story. I felt for both Caleb and Maya. Young lovers that were broken apart by an accident. Maya was driving the car that killed Caleb's sister Julie. Many believed that Maya was drunk thus losing control of her car. Caleb is distraught at the loss and in his anger, he tells Maya to leave and he never wants to see her again.

Caleb joins the Marine and serves for 10 years. He now has more demo
Alexandra
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I received a promotional copy of this book, in exchange for my honest review. I also bought my own copy and gave one as a gift.

Claire McEwen’s latest romance novel, Reunited with the Cowboy, is so artfully written, I could smell and see the golden grasslands, rolling hills, and scrub lands of the northern California coastlands that frame Caleb and Maya’s story. With evocative descriptions, she lends such authenticity to the setting that the characters seem to be pulled right up from the landscap
Lynn Brooks
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an emotional read! They were high school sweethearts with the world at their feet ... until tragedy struck and life as they knew it fell apart. Claire McEwen found her footing in the Heartwarming line with no problem at all with this first book in her new Heroes of Shelter Creek series! The characters both have a side of story that you can understand and relate to, but the heartbreak they both are still feeling after all of these years makes it a really emotional story. The author did a fan ...more
Lori R
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story about coming home, letting go and starting over. Very realistic how a tragic accident can have a ripple effect on everyone it touched.

Maya was such an interesting character, abandoned to foster care by her parents and then raised by her grandmother until a tragic accident sent her running away and changing her life forever. She also had an interesting job, a PHD and was on a two month assignment for the Department of Wildlife trying to find pumas in Shelter Creek, California.
Andrea
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maya and Caleb have an intense history that was abruptly ended by a horrible tragedy and misdirected blame. Maya has even stayed away from home as long as she could because the memories were just too painful. Caleb just can't seem to handle anything in his life and is just a very angry main whose life and ranch are falling apart. Neither one of them has really been able to get past the accident. Maya coming home may be the medicine they both need to get a reboot on their lives.

This is a story of
Yvonne Cruz
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This is a clean romance that will touch your hearts.
Maya Burton and Caleb Dunne were sweethearts in their youth until the day an accident that killed Caleb’s sister, and injured another girl while Maya was driving, destroyed that love. Caleb’s family falls apart, and even though it was truly an accident, the town blames Maya. Forcing the young woman to leave behind Caleb, her grandmother and the world she knew.
Over 10 years later, Caleb, after 10 years in the military, has returned to his family
Virginia Campbell
I have always loved westerns--when I was a little girl, my whole family watched the great TV westerns together--we were all fans. As I got older, I realized how appealing and romantic cowboys are--if you win the heart of a cowboy, you're a lucky woman indeed! Author Claire McEwen begins her "Heroes of Shelter Creek series: with "Reunited with the Cowboy"--a richly- detailed story with a beautiful setting and very appealing characters. After years spent in service in the Marines, Caleb Dunne retu ...more
Cathy Cermele
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maya and Caleb are both trying to come to terms with things that have happened in the past but it isn't an easy thing for them to do, especially once they are reunited for the first time in a rather surprising way. I could imagine how difficult it was for them seeing each other after the tragedy that tore them apart.

I loved Maya, a biologist who works in the field of wild life and is onassignment in her hometown, the one she left after the accident that took the life of Caleb's sister, As much a
Bev Taylor
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
she can save his ranch - but can he forgive her .... ?

maya has returned to shelter creek after years away from her home town. here she was involved in a car accident that killed one of her pax

she was the sister of caleb, her boyfriend a the time, and he refused to believe her side of the story, just like many of the residents. although she had been cleared at the inquest

she now works tracking mountain lions and helps ranchers get their properties back on track. also educating all age groups o
Amy
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reunited with the Cowboy gives us a look into two lives where past mistakes are held on to and bitterness takes root. The circumstances surrounding the breakup of Caleb and Maya are heartbreaking and this story was a bit heavier as it deals with Caleb’s anger and alcoholic tendencies. I felt the author portrayed the situations and emotions in a realistic manner and I was hooked from the first page to see that these two could come to a resolution.

I also found Maya’s profession fascinating. She is
Linda
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Claire McEwen is good at writing stories about cowboys and her latest book, Reunited with the Cowboy is a feel good story. Caleb Dunne is a troubled cowboy in Shelter Creek, California. He still has awful memories from his time with the Marine Corps and Afghanistan. Maya Burton is with the Department of Wildlife. Caleb has been losing sheep to a mountain lion and Maya is in Shelter Creek to enforce new regulations and share information on predator-prey relationships. Unfortunately this isn't the ...more
Marcie Robinson
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Reunited with the Cowboy” begins Claire McEwen’s Heroes of Shelter Creek series and features wildlife biologist Maya Burton and rancher Caleb Dunne.

Maya and Caleb were once in love, but a tragedy occurred, forcing them to live separate lives.
Maya returns to Shelter Creek after a long absence to research mountain lions that are killing livestock on rancher’s properties and on one ranch in particular—the Bar D owned by Caleb.
Caleb doesn’t want anyone’s help, least of all Maya’s. Pride is a powerf
Cynthia
I won a copy of this book from the author, I was not required to give a favorable review. This was a beautiful book about 2 people that needed to fix a hurt that happens years before. But it is also a story of loss, redemption and small town closeness. Maya and Caleb were high school sweethearts in the small town of Shelter Creek, but his younger sister call him for a ride because she was drunk and she and her friend Trisha needed a ride home from a concert. But instead of him going, Maya went a ...more

• Single Dad to the Rescue (City by the Bay Stories #4)
  • Sweet Home Alaska (Northern Lights #5)
  • Falling for Her Bodyguard (Grace Note Records #4)
  • Keeping Her Close (A Pacific Cove Romance #3)
  • A Family for Jason (Back to Bluestone River #1)
  • Home for Christmas (Shores of Indian Lake #12)
  • Trusting Her Heart (Meet Me at the Altar #3)
  • The Lawman's Baby (Home to Eagle's Rest #3)
  • Love and Other Mistakes
  • Danger on the Ranch (Roughwater Ranch Cowboys, #1)
  • Stitches in Time (The Deacon's Family, #2)
  • Rescued by the Perfect Cowboy (The Mountain Monroes #3)
  • Sweet Melody (Seabrook)
  • Second Chance for the Single Dad
  • The Cowboy's Christmas Baby (The Sweetheart Ranch, #3)
  • Wyoming Cowboy Bodyguard (Carsons & Delaneys: Battle Tested #4)
  • As the Light Fades
  • Aiming for Love (Brides of Hope Mountain, #1)
Claire McEwen lives by the ocean in Northern California with her family and a scruffy, mischievous terrier. When not dreaming up new stories, she can be found digging in her garden with a lot of enthusiasm but, unfortunately, no green thumb. She loves discovering flea-market treasures, walking on the beach, dancing, traveling and reading, of course!

News & Interviews