Start by marking “Heels of Steel: a novel about the queen of New York construction” as Want to Read:
Heels of Steel: a novel about the queen of New York construction

Heels of Steel: a novel about the queen of New York construction

She’s shattering the glass ceiling one building at a time

Bridget Steele’s father taught her two things: how to build and how to fight. With those skills, she created her own company and began building for New York City’s elite. Often the only woman in the room, she’s faced sexism, corruption and harassment, but armed with her designer hard hat and steel-toed stilettos, she
Published June 25th 2019 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Heels of Steel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heels of Steel

Start your review of Heels of Steel: a novel about the queen of New York construction
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I've written this review for Really Into This

Check out all of our reviews at https://reallyintothis.com
Happy Reading, friends!

Do I want to read a debut novel by the newest member of Bravo’s Real Housewives of New York?

You bet your ass I do!

I stan for my Housewives & I’ve enjoyed getting to know Barbara this season. I love that she rocks a midriff top, wide leg pants & I live for her wrap dresses! She’s a tough, honest, a supportive friend and she runs her own construction business.

Her debut nove
Adriana (SaltyBadgerBooks)
I got about 25% into the book and had to give up on it. It was terrible writing. It read like a run-on sentence. Literally paragraph after paragraph. In a span of 100 pages I had to learn the life story of the MC from the ages 10 to late 20s I believe? It was also super repetitive! Like I sometimes thought that I was accidentally reading the same paragraph again.

The worst part is the synopsis made it sound like she was going to be this total BA lady boss, and she really wasn't. (view spoiler)
Really Into This

You bet your ass I do!

Her debut
Sonica
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you, Harlequin Books for an advanced copy of Heels of Steel, in exchange for my honest review. This title released June 25, 2019.

I love when a celebrity figure can take their own personal life experience and turn it into a remarkable story. Barbara Kavovit is a member of the cast for the popular Bravo show, Real Housewives of New York – I haven’t watched this season but from what I understand her persona on the show is what inspired the female lead in her debut book.

Heels of Steel follows
Natalie
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m honestly surprised that I liked this so much but it was brilliant. For a debut, her writing style was perfect and the emotions this stirred - wow. What a kickass protagonist 💪
Sonja Crosby
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A light, entertaining read. It doesn’t break new ground, doesn’t really have any surprises, but it’s a good escape. Off to have a good pasta dinner now, because it mentions food a lot!
Brandon Ledsome
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Truly a fantastic book.
Kayla Ireland
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It was a very interesting read I stepped out of my comfort with this one and I must say I am pleased with the outcome. The only thing I didn't like was how it left you hanging to see if they'll be another book or if that was the end. I honestly hope this book goes into a series because I would love to read more about it. ♥️
Janet
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Kavovit offers readers a fun, entertaining, and well written novel. Heels of Steel attracted my attention because of the premise; a woman making her way in a male dominated industry. The fact that the story is attached to a romance is definitely a bonus. Heels of Steel has fully dimensional characters, both primary and secondary, which makes the story more enjoyable. I really found myself caring about the heroine's happily ever after. I was interested in the revelations regarding the con ...more
Joyce
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A GOOD SUMMER READ
Elaine Donadio
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Book Review: Heels Of Steel by Barbara Kavovit (2019) 3 Stars ***

How much is Barbara Kavovit's life and how much belongs to the fictional character Bridget Steele? Growing up in the borough of the Bronx in New York City, our main character Bridget's father teaches her about the construction business and how to pack a solid punch into the noses of any punks or overly aggressive business contacts she might come across. And yes, she does use this super power!

Our autho
Rubee Bailey
I've never read a book with a prologue that was 7 chapters long, but hey, first time for everything. This woman was so agonizingly stupid and unrealistic when it came to loving men, but that is actually what made her realistic. (view spoiler) ...more
Katie
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by this book since my new career in corporate America is somewhat in construction and I curious to see how this book would tackle sexism in construction. At first I was really bored with it and I thought it would take me forever to read, but I ended up really liking it and I couldn't put it down. Ended up finishing it on the third day of reading it...and I was trying to slow my reading down because I am running out of books due to all the COVID-19 closures and stay at home orders ...more
Peggy Jaeger
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it

I chose this book from my Netgalley selections because I thought, from the blurb, it was going to be a woman’s fiction tale about a strong women who is trying to smash the glass ceiling. And it was. The character of Bridget Steele is a strong one and although she makes unwise decisions in her personal life, her professional life is a solid one of determination and end goals.

My only problem with the book is that I thought there was an awful lot of “telling” of the story, especially the first 50 p
Raquel Cortes
I liked that Bridget isn't afraid of doing hard stuff. She's a determined strong woman who fights to make a name for herself in a wold dominated by men. Not all her decisions were wise though and it was disappointing how she settles for less than she deserves and puts up with a man who does't respect her and cares for her job. The pacing was too fast and there was too much telling and not enough dialogue. I felt lost some times and found myself going back and checking if I skipped pages. On top ...more
Erica Franco
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book written by one of the Real Housewives of NYC. Overall, it was a solid read but I feel it might be more interesting for a younger audience. I'm curious about how much of the content is taken from the author's real life since the protagonist shares a lot of similarities with her. There were a few parts of the book where I got a little bored, but it picked up once the romance story got going. I did enjoy reading about a strong-willed, determined female in ...more
Kathleen Gray
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kavovit has put her deep knowledge of the construction business to good use in this interesting novel about a woman who is determined to succeed. Bridget doesn't take no for an answer, even when it would be the easy way to go. I enjoyed this as a quick read on a summer afternoon. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. This would be a good one for the YA crossover audience- it's got a good message wrapped in a well written story.
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was looking for a funny Rom-Com and this wasn't it. The main character was simply unlikable. I felt like any relationships with people were loosely connected. A lot of time was spent focusing on how to get the construction contract. I know that the author has a background in construction management. I just wish she put a little more soul into the novel. It fell flat for me.
Jenn (YeahOrNeighReviews)
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bridget is a great role model! A self-reliant, single mother who won't back down from what she wants in life. I enjoyed this realistic and modern story. The romance wasn't overdone, and I found that a refreshing change.
Andrea Stephenson
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway. I love RHONY so I thought this would be an instant win. I struggled through several parts of the book — couldn’t follow the story line and didn’t feel roped in. Overall the book was ok with a strong female empowerment lesson.
Jana
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really don't like admitting I found this book as entertaining as I did, but I did like it. I liked the strength of the female protagonist, but there was so much immoral behavior and little concern for it which really makes me sad. Entertaining, but didn't make me feel good in the end.
Me
Sep 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate this a 3.75. you get a introductory insight into the real estate and construction world in NY. There's a backstory of romance as well. I enjoyed the book a lot. The beginning pulls you in but there were parts that distracted.
Brian
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book captivated me from the very Beginning! Never have I rooted for a character more than i did for Bridget. 100 pages in and I could NOT put it down!

By far my favorite read this year!
Catherine McJannet
Great Book

I loved this book.Unusual character in non-traditional role really like the author’s writing style. She kept me interested u til the very end.
Sara
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Go Barbara! That was fun as hell and I was more invested than I thought I'd be, cheering for Bridget every step of the way; I hope we hear more from the real life Queen of NY construction.
Monica
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
it was a cute story but there is a lot missing, it jumps around alot
Sherri
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice summer lead. Interesting story interesting characters not too heavy .
Jackie Kropp
Nov 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF half way. Just awful
Steph
Dec 25, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF @ 6% bc I didn’t realize it was written by a RHONY and the reviews were terrible on GR.
Sandra
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful empowerment story about female owned construction company

• Husband Material
  • Grown-Up Pose
  • It's Hot in the Hamptons
  • How to Hack a Heartbreak
  • The Moonglow Sisters
  • Love and Other Mistakes
  • Shopping for a Billionaire 4 (Shopping for a Billionaire, #4)
  • The Perfect Date
  • Carnegie Hill
  • Pretty Guilty Women
  • Crashing the A-List
  • Seduction on a Snowy Night
  • The Grace Kelly Dress
  • Meant to Be Yours (Happily Inc, #5)
  • Summer Hours
  • Baby Inheritance
  • The Wives
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
Barbara Kavovit, aka Barbara K, New York native, construction trailblazer and women’s tool creator founded one of the first NYC General Contracting and Construction Management firms. Growing up in the Bronx and by the time she was nine years old, Barbara’s father instilled in her a passion for building and encouraged her to hold a hammer, instead of a Barbie doll. He gently insisted that together ...more